Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I was fine with it. Opportunity for redemption for BJ. 145 hypothetically could've snapped him out of his funk. In hindsight, yikes, Frankie is way too good. Dana said last night that Aldo is only out for a month and a half, so Mendes can wait for him. Frankie vs. Swanson seems to be next.

Frankie is a beast, so under-appreciated. He's a short-sentence kind of guy when being interviewed, yet is 3X the fighter someone like Chael Sonnen is - who was collectively stroked off by half the fans of the sport ever since Silva I.

When the ref says FIGHT, Frankie is a treat to watch. Hate that he's not more popular, it's time he gets his props. That **** against Gray Maynard is legendary in my eyes. Screw Anderson's comeback, Sonnen barely landed anything that put him in any kind of trouble. Frankie was getting blasted across the octagon by a Hulk in comparison...twice. Then he came back and revealed his platinum balls to the world. He beat BJ Penn three times. He gave Jose Aldo a great challenge, and I think we'll see them fight again. Picking Edgar over Swanson if they fight.

• Like 1

BJ Penn's record kind of sucks, 16-10-2. Going 1-5-1 in his last 7 fights really didn't do his legacy any justice. Especially when you compare it to GSP (25-2) and Spider Silva (33-6) which were active at the same time. He's a lot closer to Tito Ortiz (17-11). Obviously the record doesn't tell the story but sadly when people look back that's going to stand out.

Edited by Destino

He and Randy are quite similar in that regard. They're also the only two-division champs in UFC history. Hendo is the only other guy in MMA history to do that on the highest level. All three guys would fight at their normal weight, taking on top fighters who were bigger and stronger. Who knows what GSP's record would've been if he fought top competition at MW, especially later in his career. Same with Anderson wanting to go after the LHW belt. Taking on a broken Forrest Griffin is not the equivilent of taking on prime Hughes and GSP twice each, not to mention Machida, Diaz and McDonald. What did BJ weigh? 168 for those fights?

It's like you said, the record doesn't tell the story.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

BJ Penn's record kind of sucks, 16-10-2. Going 1-5-1 in his last 7 fights really didn't do his legacy any justice. Especially when you compare it to GSP (25-2) and Spider Silva (33-6) which were active at the same time. He's a lot closer to Tito Ortiz (17-11). Obviously the record doesn't tell the story but sadly when people look back that's going to stand out.

Even his return run at 155 wasn't all that impressive from a name standpoint. Sherk was a decent win, but how much does beating Dirty Sanchez, Joe Stevenson, & Kenny Florian add to a legacy?

I'm torn on BJ. Obviously he's phenomenally talented, but he is also the poster child for wasted potential.

Edited by StillUnknown

FOX is now broadcasting four of UFC on FOX 12's prelim fights on July 26th. Eight fights will now be shown on the big network. This card is really good:

Main Card (8 PM, FOX)

Robbie Lawler vs. Matt Brown

Anthony Johnson vs. Lil Nog

Dennis Bermudez vs. Clay Guida

Josh Thompson vs. Michael Johnson

Prelims (6 PM, FOX)

Jorge Masvidal vs. Darren Cruickshank

Patrick Cummins vs. Kyle Kingsbury

Tim Means vs. Hernani Perpetuo

Mike De La Torre vs. Brian Ortega

If anyone has Fight Pass then you can watch four more prelims starting at 4 PM.

Helps to look at Penn's record by weightclass and championship fights.

Featherweight 0-1 (Edgar 3)

Lightweight 11-3-1, 5-3-1 in championship fights (all UFC, except 1 RoR vs. Gomi)

And now for the weights most fans don't think he should have fought at:

Welterweight 3-5-1, 1-2 in championship fights

Middleweight 2-0, both over Gracie's

Openweight 0-1. He fought at 191, his opponent at 225....who happened to be Lyoto Machida.

Add title eliminators, he has 2 wins at lightweight, a loss and a draw at welterweight.

Not bad for a guy 5'9" tall with a WHOPPING 5'10" wingspan.

The 1-5-1 at the end really hurts him, but so does fighting above his weightclass for most of his career. Heck, had there been more fights available at 145 in 2001 when he started- that might have been the best weight for him to compete at, but he started at the lowest available at the time, 155 & still was small for that division.

If the UFC had 145 back then, I think we would be talking about Aldo chasing down Penn's title defense record like we do about Jones chasing (beating) Tito & Weidman chasing Silva.

Best American Lower weight fighter of all time IMO

Dang. That is terrible news. Also Ali something tested postive for EPO.

Aldo is the greatest fighter of all time under 170.

Yeah, that's why I qualified Penn as best American, there probably is a few Japanese that are ahead of him too.

I noted Penn's reach earlier, was going to make a joke how I'm 5'8", but have a 5'6" (66") & probably the only fighter I would have a reach advantage on would be Nick Newell. Now, Nick would kick my ass, but I looked up his stats and I **** you not this is what it reads:

Nick Newell 5'10", reach: 74" (6'2")

WTF? I know that's projected, but isn't that insulting to Nick & amputee's in general? I know they do it for comparisons sake, but how about not listing it and listing length of arm from fingertip/fist to armpit, or at least noting it's projected.

So Nick kicks my ass AND has a reach advantage on me.

I'm interested to see 175's numbers. In the past, a card like 175 would have passed 500k easily.

They ain't getting anywhere near 500k buys on any PPV anymore, those days are gone. The million was Brock Lesnar, the best GSP & Silva did in their prime was 700-800k, and that dropped to 500-600k by the end if their career.

400 would be amazing, probably 250-375k. That card was weak before Struve pulled out, if it had Wandy vs, ...anyone really, maybe 400-500

The PPV business is not booming anymore, the pulled Jones Gus 2 out of Toronto to Vegas, saying the first one didn't sell out( had Barao Weidland, but next fight was Mitrione Schaub for christ's sake), & "postponed" a PPV event in Montreal for later this year to next spring. They Haven't posted the new date yet. I wonder if the UFC actually knows what postponed means?

Anyways, Canadian fans are pissed, went from 5 cards this year (3PPV , 2 FN) to 3(1PPV, 2FN) and only have 1 fight night card left, Halifax.

Dana and Lorenzo are meeting with Gina next week. Dana said that he thinks she deserves an immidiate title shot. Guess you gotta milk that cash cow when it presents itself. Hope Gina doesn't die from the weight cut. Although, making weight would only delay death for around 30 hours. Ronda via slam KO.

Gina has been very underrated, but she's still going to get trounced badly. Just please leave her face alone, armbar her please.

Dana and Lorenzo are meeting with Gina next week. Dana said that he thinks she deserves an immidiate title shot. Guess you gotta milk that cash cow when it presents itself. Hope Gina doesn't die from the weight cut. Although, making weight would only delay death for a around 30 hours. Ronda via slam KO.

Gina has been very underrated, but she's still going to get trounced badly. Just please leave her face alone, armbar her please.

She's getting an immediate title shot because they don't trust her to beat any of the reasonable fighters they could match her against in a title eliminator.

Gotta love this "sport"

Edited by StillUnknown

Yeah dude, I was thinking the same thing, it's the same with Holly Holm. Dat grappling is actually decent in WMMA, as bad as Ronda makes it look. Tate, Carmouche and McMann all have good grappling. I think Tate would be the safest matchup in the top 5, as she has barely any finishing ability. Gina's Muay Thai could win the fight if she could keep it standing.

She had Cyborg mounted, actually looked good early on, I dunno man, she had legit skills and kicked some ass back in the day. But the ridiculous layoff, the weight cut, the wrestling/judo skill discrepency, all signs point to her getting worked. I think good matchups would be her vs. Jessica Eye or Racquel Pennington, maybe Zingano.

Dana and Lorenzo are meeting with Gina next week. Dana said that he thinks she deserves an immidiate title shot. Guess you gotta milk that cash cow when it presents itself. Hope Gina doesn't die from the weight cut. Although, making weight would only delay death for around 30 hours. Ronda via slam KO.

So ****ing stupid. Seriously makes mma seem more like entertainment than a sport.

Cyborg cutting to 135 for Invicta.

I don't know man. I'll play Devil's Advocate, because I lean towards the consensus that this is a freebie for Gina, but just some critical thinking...

Who is next is line? Who is knocking down that door? Wasn't Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie essentially the same thing? Didn't hurt anything in the long run. Fedor fought plenty of freakshow fights worse than this. Think back during the EliteXC days. She was beating girls up. She wants this? Fine I say. Who am I to say she has to earn her way when the division is a wasteland? She is part of a time where if we go back and looked at our convos in this thread, it'd be classic. Those were the days. One of the hottest women ever could kickbox like a mother****er, and MMA was hotter than fire, she was the golden girl from the golden age. She should be given the Royce Gracie treatment, the BJ Penn treatment, the Sakuraba/Wand treatment. Granted, they all got obliterated, but if she wants it, hell, who should feel jipped? Zingano? Who is she again?

My biggest issue is that it makes the next time they want to do some BS like this easier. Its why I hated the Bones/Sonnen fight. If it were only a one-off special circumstance it would be one thing. Dana & crew have proven, they can't be trusted to make it a one off.

I don't think Gina ever earned that right like Saku or Royce. Cyborg beat her down, than White says if Cyborg ever made 135 she wouldn't have a straight title shot. That is just bs. I get Zingano isn't popular but this is suppose to be a sport. This isn't as bad Randy vs Toney, but still dumb.

I liked Randy vs. Toney. Kind of cleared up the whole Boxing vs. MMA BS. Wasn't a title fight, andwas a mind**** of a matchup. I was admittedly up on my feet, in a running back stance like Alfred Morris before the snap, yelling, "let's go Randy!! Take him down baby!" It was huge for MMA. If Randy were to get knocked out, the opposite would've happened, the boxing/mma debate would've grown 10-fold. Sylvia and Randy, who had a classic championship fight a few years earlier, would've both been KOd by over the hill boxers, in MMA. I think it's an extremely important moment for that stupid debate. Anyone with half a brain, at this point, should understand you need more than boxing to win in this sport.

Who would you pick between her and Jessymyn Duke (sp?)

Does that muay thai ingrained in the brain from an early age really go away as an adult? Techniques and hand-eye coordination sticks with you. She's not MJ, but MJ stopped playing basketball three times, and still could ball. Gina says she's kept up with training, kickboxes for workouts. They could have her co-main against a hot chick who couldn't hurt a fly, have her win and get her feet wet, then another.