Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Anyone going to go watch the World Grand Prix tomorrow? I'm excited. Going down to San Jose for it.

To be honest, prime Strikeforce was as entertaining, if not more, than the UFC. I've gotta give it to these guys that they really try to load their cards. Even the 2nd match on the main card is the #2 vs #3 LHW (although that is not saying much).

Anyways, who does everyone have? Barnett or Cormier? I know the winner has to stick around for one more fight against a "high-level heavyweight" but, honestly, the winner should get a crack at the UFC belt.

Last night was an end of an era for me. My first really loved fighters were BJ Penn and Josh Barnett. Both seem to be done as try contenders and no one has really replaced them. Just as well, I guess. Don't really need to have a horse in the race to watch this sport.

I'd give Gilbert the winner of Maynard-Guida. He didn't look great, but he still deserves top competition after the run he has been on.

Tomorrow night shall be a treat my friends. All HWs fights on the main card, that's cool for sure.

If The Rock and Houston Alexander had a baby, they'd make Lavar Johnson. We know one thing, someone is getting finished in that fight. Probably very early. Especially since Struve is probably going to just trade with Lavar. Would love to see him pull guard or something and sub the dude. Show SOME smarts. Yeah, you want to start using your reach in fights, develop a good jab, but Johnson has blatantly asked Struve not to revert to his jiu jitsu. F that, don't knife fight when you have a gun.

I'll take Struve by first round armbar.

Herman vs. Nelson? Meh, I hope Roy wins and moves down to LHW. He's lost a lot of relevance in the HW picture, moving down would make his first fight in that division very intriguing - given that his belly was the size of an exercise ball just last year.

Kimbo Nelson via flying spinning cartwheel kick.

Cain vs. Bigfoot is very interesting to me personally. Just a year ago I could not have imagined these guys fighting each other. Both guys have been dropped by heavy punchers, and both are heavy punchers. Speed advantage goes to Cain, but if anyone connects I see bad news for the other guy. Keep eyes pealed on the feet. However, I think Cain will be shooting for takedowns early every round. I think he'll eventually find an opening in the ground battle to rattle Bigfoot and pile shots on for the stoppage.

Cain, TKO G&P rd 1

Dos Santos vs. Mir is a wicked matchup, as it is an awkward one. This is the guy that Brock absolutely bludgeoned in the most famous UFC event ever. Then, Brock goes through two bouts of a debilitating disease, absorbs a punishing assault from Shane Carwin, gets walloped by Cain, gets systematically disassembled from Alistair, and abruptly retires. He just couldn't catch a break. On top of that, Alistair tests positive for eating dozens of horse testicles a day, and now the guy he famously crushed in Frank Mir is getting a title shot. I just gotta wonder what Brock thinks about all this. My guess, "Bunch of mother****ers."

Dos Santos via brutal combination KO, rd 2.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

UFC 146:

Stipe Miocic vs. Shane Del Rosario: Interesting fight between two prospects looking to make a name. I like Del Rosario's skill set a tad more, but he's coming off a long layoff after recovering from a bad car accident. Miocic has decent standup and should be able to use his wrestling in reverse to keep it standing. Del Rosario's long layoff and possible octagon jitters make it hard for me to see him winning.

Miocic by Unanimous Decision

Stefan Struve vs. Lavar Johnson: Johnson has the power to end any HW's night, but Struve should have every other advantage. I've seen grappling dummies with better ground games than Johnson. Struve blogged about his advantages on the ground so I don't think he'll be playing the standup game for very long with Lavar. Struve does not have a good chin so if Lavar connects early, he can win, but I see Struve taking this fight to the ground early and getting a quick submission.

Struve by Submission, Round 1

Roy Nelson vs. Dave Herman: I'm having a hard time caring about this one.

Nelson by (T)KO, Round 2

Cain Velasquez vs. Bigfoot Silva: We've seen what speed has done to Bigfoot in the past. Cain just has to follow the blueprint set forth by his teammate Cormier when he fought Bigfoot. Following his KO's loss to JDS, it wouldn't surprise me if Cain opted for more of a takedown + ground n pound game. Either way, he has the advantage in just about every area of this fight.

Velasquez by (T)KO, Round 2

Junior Dos Santos vs. Frank Mir: If Zombie Nog rocked Mir standing, JDS will kill him. JDS just has to be cognizant of Mir attempting to use his size to pin him to the cage and trying for takedowns. Mir has crappy wrestling, but from the clinch, his size gives him a better chance of completing the takedown. JDS keeps Mir at range and dissects him with punch after punch until Mir drops.

JDS by (T)KO, Round 1

Just watched the Carwin/JDS fight again and a few things popped out that will matter for Mir.

1. Carwin's not a wrestler, but he could NOT take JDS down, and he could NOT hold him down either (and Carwin's a bigger dude than Mir). Mir needs to have some tricky takedowns to get JDS on the ground, and even then, the odds that JDS can get back up to his feet are very high.

2. JDS is fast as **** and he can throw down like whoa. The Carwin fight should have been stopped at the end of the 1st round, but Herb kept it going because Carwin wasn't quitting. Had he stopped the fight, Carwin's bloody face would have supported that decision and it would have been a legitimate victory. JDS threw a good 20 shots to Carwin's face, and then had the cardio to go another 3 rounds. Both Carwin and Roy Nelson can take a LOT more punishment than Frank Mir can.

3. JDS doesn't kick often, but when he does, he kicks with power. I'm expecting more kicks. I'm also expecting random submission attempts from JDS; he went for a RNC on Carwin after he knocked him down in the 1st but didn't apply it. I'm not familiar with his BJJ and grappling but I won't be surprised if he tries a sub. He's gonna probably fail at it anyways haha.

Prediction: JDS will TKO Mir in the 2nd after a measuring out period and some blood.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/26/arianny-celeste-arrested-domestic-violence/#.T8FOuzW5TKc.twitter

Super, ridiculously, incredibly, amazingly hot UFC ring girl Arianny Celeste was arrested early this morning for allegations of domestic violence ... TMZ has learned.

According to the website for the Clark County Detention Center, the unbelievably hot Celeste was taken into custody at 7:30 AM and held on $3,000 bond. She is still behind bars.

---------- Post added May-26th-2012 at 07:35 PM ----------

Paul Sass is the new Aoki.