Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Wow, what a card last night! I barely have a voice left after screaming "FINISH HIM ALAN, FINISH HIM"!!!!! Belcher going to the ground and rolling with Palhares reminds me of GSP out wrestling Hughes. Anytime a fighter goes into the other guys strength and beats him, it says a lot about that fighter. Yes I'm a Belcher homer, my wife and his wife went to school together, but every fight he goes in to it seems like he's the under dog and he keeps finding a way to win. Hell of a fight Alan.

Nate will wilt against the stronger 155's in the division. I honestly though Miller would do better against Nate but I think he gave up on the clinch game too quickly and never really worked hard enough for the take down.

Strongly disagree the Diaz brothers hate em or love them never wilt. Even when Nate lost against rory the first two rounds were fairly competitive the third round he got tossed around but it looked worse then it actually was. He was never in any trouble of being finished. Plus look at Nate compared to Nick. Nick is a 170 Nate is not.

Strongly disagree the Diaz brothers hate em or love them never wilt. Even when Nate lost against rory the first two rounds were fairly competitive the third round he got tossed around but it looked worse then it actually was. He was never in any trouble of being finished. Plus look at Nate compared to Nick. Nick is a 170 Nate is not.

I don't recall that Rory/Nate fight being competitive, maybe I need to watch it again.

Rory clearly won it but the first two were competitive even though rory won the first two rounds. The third round was were rory made Nate look bad, but it was worse then it looked Nate never got in any deep trouble he got ragged dolled but he was never in any trouble of being finished. In retrospect it is impressive since Rory has just been destroying everyone. Nowhere in the fight did Nate wilt. I just don't think it's possible for the either Diaz brother to give up.

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big

I don't recall that Rory/Nate fight being competitive, maybe I need to watch it again.

I don't either, from what I remember Rory worked him in all three rounds.

Nate's improved a lot, but I can't ever seeing him beating someone with the wrestling ability of Ben Henderson.

I don't either, from what I remember Rory worked him in all three rounds.

Nate's improved a lot, but I can't ever seeing him beating someone with the wrestling ability of Ben Henderson.

I don't think Nate would mind being on the ground with Henderson. Bendo has proven just about impossible to submit, but he leaves himself open to be put in submissions. One of these times, he might not be able to escape.

I think Nate's biggest weakness is his leg kick defense, its pretty much nonexistent. Cerrone chopped his legs from under him a couple of times, and Miller got a couple of good ones in as well. If Nate fought someone like Barboza, it might be a bigger issue.

Some gifs from last night:

Bermudez had a bunch of good slams on the Fuel TV portion:

3.gif

5.gif

Louis Gaudinot had nice guillotine choke out:

6.gif

Pat Barry getting worked:

5.gif

Maybe I should change my sig from Palhares heel hooking to him getting TKO'd:

2.gif

And the main course:

7.gif

Awesome sub by Nate Diaz

---------- Post added May-6th-2012 at 01:45 PM ----------

I might be remembering a different fight. Forgive me if I'm wrong. I think Nate has as a good as chance as anyone to beat Ben. I would favor Nate but I am Diaz fanatic.

Believe me man, I am too, I was on here sticking up for Nick when he was in Elite XC and got stopped by KJ Noons' punk ass. I think Nate would have a shot at a submission, but Ben Henderson's top game is phenomenal, if I had to guess, I would see Bendo GSPing him to a victory. I think his strength and top game are just too much.

A huge thing about the Diaz brothers is that they are so immune to really being rocked. Even when Nick got dropped by Daley he recovered immediately, fended off Daley's bombs intelligently, got right back up, and was completely focused on his game. Not rattled at all, he walked towards Daley like it was your basic sparring session. It's unreal the confidence these guys have.

Rory threw Nate around the mat and it looked as if Nate was chillin' like a villain, waiting for Rory to actually try to strike or play some jiu jitsu. These guys are cool, calm and collected as hell in the octagon.

Ben is a strong guy like Rory is, both good wrestlers, but minus 15 lbs. I think Nate will be able to avoid being thrown around a crap-ton, and his striking has turned a corner and looks to be as baffling as Nick's is.

For me, it comes down to the fact that it's a 5 rounder and I do not think Ben Henderson can finish Nate Diaz. Diaz will finish him and take the belt, IMO.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

You have to remember too that the Diaz brothers come from a BJJ base, which is good and bad for them. It's good, because they can submit people from just about any position, but bad because UFC is so wrestler-heavy, that the Diaz brothers are due to lose fights simply because they are taken down and held for a good amount of the round(s).

True BJJ artists, if they are worth a lick, are not threatened off their backs. They don't consider it a position of weakness. However the UFC's style of judging makes it hard to win any favor for a fighter off their back, even when the guy on stop isn't doing anything, and the guy on the bottom is actively pursuing submissions the entire time.

So much weight is given to the takedown itself, and not what actually happens once the fight hits the ground that it puts BJJ guys in a "submit the opponent or lose" spot, and with five minute rounds it is a very difficult task. Hell, Nick has almost completely abandoned using his BJJ unless he is forced into it by his opponent. Last fight I remember him submitting a guy was Cyborg, and that was because he was taken down after winning the stand up portion pretty convincingly.

I've always been of the thought that UFC needs to get better judges that actually understand better what is going on when fights hit the ground. The stand up portion of the fight is easier, and awarding points for takedowns themselves is pretty easy, but once the fights hit the ground that is where the judging seems to get murky, considering a lot of the judges come from a boxing background and don't even know what to look for in the ground game so the fighter on top always seems to be given the benefit of doubt.

You have to remember too that the Diaz brothers come from a BJJ base, which is good and bad for them. It's good, because they can submit people from just about any position, but bad because UFC is so wrestler-heavy, that the Diaz brothers are due to lose fights simply because they are taken down and held for a good amount of the round(s).

True BJJ artists, if they are worth a lick, are not threatened off their backs. They don't consider it a position of weakness. However the UFC's style of judging makes it hard to win any favor for a fighter off their back, even when the guy on stop isn't doing anything, and the guy on the bottom is actively pursuing submissions the entire time.

So much weight is given to the takedown itself, and not what actually happens once the fight hits the ground that it puts BJJ guys in a "submit the opponent or lose" spot, and with five minute rounds it is a very difficult task. Hell, Nick has almost completely abandoned using his BJJ unless he is forced into it by his opponent. Last fight I remember him submitting a guy was Cyborg, and that was because he was taken down after winning the stand up portion pretty convincingly.

I've always been of the thought that UFC needs to get better judges that actually understand better what is going on when fights hit the ground. The stand up portion of the fight is easier, and awarding points for takedowns themselves is pretty easy, but once the fights hit the ground that is where the judging seems to get murky, considering a lot of the judges come from a boxing background and don't even know what to look for in the ground game so the fighter on top always seems to be given the benefit of doubt.

They could also use refs who understand ground positioning. The last few events, I've been seeing more and more bad stand-ups, even from veteran referees. Some fighters might not want to go the ground because they know they won't have adequate time to work for anything.

Edited by StillUnknown

Paul Sass is bringing back the guard in MMA. He's fighting Jacob Volkmann at 146 on the undercard. The dude will straight up pull guard in the middle of a fight and either heel hook or triangle his opponent.

News is breaking that Cruz tore his ACL and is out of his fight against Faber.

http://www.cagedinsider.com/ufc/cruz-tears-acl-out-for-fight-with-faber/

Cruz tears ACL, out for fight with Faber

If you’ve been watching this season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ then this news will be a major bummer. It was confirmed earlier this morning that TUF coach Dominick Cruz, is being forced to pull out of his scheduled fight with fellow coach Urijah Faber, due to a torn ACL.

News of a replacement for Cruz is still unknown or if the co-main main event of UFC 148 will be scrapped all together. Regardless if this event is canceled or not, UFC 148 is still shaping up to be an amazing card, with Anderson Silva taking on Chael Sonnen for the rematch of the century.

The real question is, who should replace Cruz if anyone? Or should the fight just be canceled? Let us know your thoughts!

I'd love to see Mayday MacDonald KO Faber for the interim title.

---------- Post added May-7th-2012 at 03:37 PM ----------

That could really be a bad injury Cruz going forward. His game is predicated on his movement, if that is hampered by the injury, he becomes a lot easier to hit.

Edited by StillUnknown

Frank Mir will be doing color commentating for Strikeforce:

UFC Heavyweight Number 1 Contender Frank Mir announced moments ago on MMAJunkie radio that he is set to commentate for Strikeforce in the future.

He was unsure of exact dates, but did confirm that he would be the colour commentator.

Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir is no stranger to commentary, having worked as a colour commentator for WEC in the past on several occasions.

Many fans had called to have Mir work the FX and FUEL cards, a job that went to Kenny Florian.

You can check out the interview at MMAJunkie Radio

Glad to hear, I always liked him in the WEC.

News is breaking that Cruz tore his ACL and is out of his fight against Faber.

No big lose IMO. That card is good already & anything else is playing 2nd fiddle to Silva Chael 2 anyway. Was anyone really excited to see that fight before this TUF? I say move Uriah to another card, the main event is strong enough anyways that any other main card event can take co main status & no one would complain.

Edited by artmonkforHOF