Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

This is a solid-quality free card tonight. I'm a big fan of both of the main event fighters the only thing that sucks is that whoever loses is on a two fight losing streak but that's how it goes.

I just read that Miller had mono and a kidney infection going into the Bendo loss. Not taking anything from Bendo, but it takes toughness to fight through illness against a guy that's at the level of Henderson..

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/379305/Jim-Miller-kept-Mono-and-kidney-infection-secret--before-Bendo-loss/

Jim Miller kept Mono and kidney infection secret before Bendo loss

Late last Summer, tonight's headliner Jim Miller fought and lost a unanimous decision to Ben Henderson, snapping a seven-fight win streak. Bendo went on to get a title shot against champion Frankie Edgar next month in Japan.

In a recent interview on MMAJunkie Radio, Miller revealed that before his last fight, he kept secret the fact that he was suffering from mono and had developed a kidney infection.

"I've never felt like that and hope to never feel like that again, inside or outside the octagon," Miller said.

"I stepped into the octagon, and there was never that tingle, that feeling of adrenaline. So I knew something was off, and I feel I should have adapted to it. I should have fought more conservatively and tried to get dominant positions and not expend so much energy hunting for that finish the whole fight."

"This fight with Melvin is the fight I wanted; it's another guy that was right up there and a tough challenge and very dangerous opponent. I didn't want a gimme win just to get back on the winning ways that sometimes seems to happen. I wanted a tough fight that is going to get me in that title contention.

"And I know that a win here, I still need another one or two to get back up there because there are always guys coming up, and things need to be sorted out. That's the fun part, fighting these guys."

"Hopefully it won't take seven in a row again to start hearing talk about [a title shot]," Miller chuckled.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27067/ufc-on-fox-2s-sonnen-promises-no-title-shot-against-silva-after-fugazi-behavior.mma

UFC on FOX 2's Sonnen promises no title shot against Silva after 'fugazi' behavior

by Steven Marrocco on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm ET

In putting together a last-minute co-main event fight between Chael Sonnen (26-11-1 MMA, 5-4 UFC) and Michael Bisping (22-3 MMA, 12-3 UFC), UFC president Dana White said the winner gets a crack at middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

That may be true, according to Sonnen. But the title shot is never going to happen.

"I can guarantee you – Anderson Silva and I will never cross paths again," Sonnen said today.

Sonnen believes that statement extends to his opponent should Bisping come out ahead in the fight, which takes place next Saturday at Chicago's United Center and airs live on FOX.

"I don't if he's going to retire, or [the UFC is] going to retire him," Sonnen said. "I think the plan was if I could get past Munoz and if Michael was successful against Demian, they were going to do an interim championship between Bisping and I.

"I know Anderson's not going to fight. The folks at the UFC know he's not going to fight. I'm all for promoting and marketing and all that good stuff. I don't want to throw water on a perfectly hot flame, but Anderson Silva's not going to fight anybody."

Sonnen was originally slated to fight Mark Munoz before an elbow injury forced Munoz to withdraw from the event. In his place went Bisping, who was originally set to meet onetime middleweight title challenger Demian Maia. Maia now meets up-and-comer Chris Weidman.

As bold declarations go, Sonnen's comments aren't much of a departure from countless barbs he's tossed in Silva's direction. After defeating Brian Stann at UFC 136, he offered the champ a loser-leaves-town fight of sorts and later rescinded it when lingering injuries delayed Silva's return.

Sonnen feels those injuries – bursitis and back problems – are suspiciously convenient. But what can he do?

"I tend to believe him," Sonnen said. "If a guy says he's hurt, you've got to believe him. Only he knows, and I don't need an X-ray or anything else.

"I think it's a little fugazi that he claims that he's hurt, and then we see footage of him live sparring with Wanderlei Silva. I think it's a little fugazi that he claims he's hurt, and I've got my friend (Muhammed) 'Mo' Lawal training with Machida alongside alongside Silva. I think these things are peculiar. But if a guy says he's hurt, it's enough for me."

Not enough, though, to tone his rhetoric down when it comes to the prospect of winning a rematch with the champ after their epic first meeting at UFC 117, which ended with him submitting in the fifth round after dominating the fight up to end.

The way Sonnen sees it, the UFC can try to put the fight together all they want, and they may again. But they won't have any luck.

"I can tell you that behind the scenes, they tried to put me and Anderson together four times, and four times he said no," he said. "I called him out publicly. You call out a Brazilian publicly, you're going to be fighting that Brazilian. That's in their culture, and he sat there and covered his mouth and hid behind Charles Barkley, which is a smart move. It saved him a trip to the hospital. But Anderson Silva is not going to fight me. I don't believe he's going to fight Bisping. I don't believe he's going to fight again. That's my personal opinion.

"He even said no to (UFC executive) Lorenzo Fertitta's face. Face-to-face, not over the phone – Lorenzo brought him out, sat him down, and said, 'This is the fight we want.' And Anderson said no."

For more on UFC on FOX 2, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Edited by Mickalino

Bisping: "He won't let me down on the smack talk, I am positive. "Fail" Sonnen has failed at politics, failed at real estate, failed at being a crook in real estate because he got caught, failed as a middleweight title challenger, so I am sure Fail Sonnen won't want to fail at his true calling in life: smack-talking"

Another great card...just watched it on DVR, holy ****. I'm glad the UFC decided to keep Pat Barry around he's such an entertainer. I love Mike Easton too, I loved how he came out with a DC flag in the background, he likes to stand and bang but I've seen him in grappling tournaments in the area and he's slick as **** on the ground too, I think he has a promising career @ 135 and he's only going to get better.

I like Jim Miller a lot too, he's 21-3 and has only lost to Edgar, Maynard and Bendo, all by decision...those are all top shelf guys in the 155 division. I hope he gets Edson Barboza next or maybe the winner of Pettis/Lauzon.

Forgot to mention that standing elbows are underrated, that was a beautiful finish.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Some Dutch on Dutch crime. Grabbed this from mmamania

Bas Rutten on Overeem-JDS

"I think Alistair, everything he does is one single shot because he knows he's got that glass jaw as well. He's been knocked out quite a few times in the past, even by Chuck Liddell as well. Every time when he punches, one hand is up. He throws single shots; he doesn't throw combinations. You saw that when he fought [Fabricio] Werdum. Werdum was actually tagging him more than he did to Werdum. I think that Junior dos Santos, with his combinations, his reach, I think he's going to tag him and he's going to throw combos and I think that yeah, he's going to take this fight."

Makes some sense. Patrick, defend your boy.

Some Dutch on Dutch crime. Grabbed this from mmamania

Bas Rutten on Overeem-JDS

Makes some sense. Patrick, defend your boy.

Bas has had words for The Reem ever since he left Golden Glory. I tend to ignore Overeem's lack of striking defense against Werdum because it was pretty clear he wasn't trying to avoid the strikes. He had no fear of anything Werdum could do to him standing so he basically fought in way that minimized the chances of Werdum taking him down.

As far as everything being one shot, when you have Overeem's power, one shot is all it takes.

Sounds to me like Bas is still on that Golden Glory payroll. Before Overeem left Bas believed he was the best heavyweight in MMA now that he's gone he brings up his past knockout losses and says he has a glass jaw. What does "he's been knocked out even by Chuck Liddell" mean? :ols: That doesn't make sense he's acting like it was rare to be knocked out by Chuck. Overeem's chin has held up quite well since he moved up to heavyweight he took some big shots in K-1.

Like SU mentioned Overeem had no respect for Werdum or Lesnar's standup he was focused on defending the takedown so Werdum couldn't submit him or Lesnar ground and pound him.

Bas could make an argument for or against Overeem. Obviously, the way he feels about him now, he'll be dogging him. I agree with Bas on the part about Overeem's defense. Nowadays he's been mostly covering up until he explodes with something fierce. It's really the price you pay for going after him that Dos Santos must be aware of. How one shot from The Reem can completely change a fight. Bas is right, Overeem doesn't go in there and throw Saki-like combos, but that doesn't necessarily mean JDS can absorb one knee from him without being hindered the rest of the fight. I will lean towards Overeem because of how diverse his power is. Unreal power with his shins, knees and hands.

As far as the Chuck Liddell comment, Overeem actually dominated that fight until Chuck landed his overhand right. It was literally all-Overeem until he got caught with a baseball pitch of a right hand. We've seen Overeem finished a number of times, but the state of the art machine Overeem has been pretty darn sturdy for the past few years.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll