Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

What? I think the ring rust got to Rampage the first time. Also, thats the greatest wikipedia page picture ever.

even at his best, Rampage has always been rather flat-footed on defense. it works great for him in deflecting power shots, but it leaves him open to someone who's mixing strikes and takedowns. In his two fights since being zombiefied by Machida, Rashad has used striking primarily as a means to disguise his takedowns, and its been very effective for him

not to mention, Rampage doesn't seem to have the same power he once had. the man went a full 8 rounds with two of the weaker chins in the LHW division in Forrest and Jardine (who was recently ko'd by a stiff breeze) and could not finish them.

if rashad still has his speed after this knee injury, i think he wins in the exact same fashion as he did last time

apparently Thiago Silva might be suspended for failing a drug test pre-UFC 125 which is why they are setting up Rashad to take his place if he does.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22401/thiago-silvas-status-in-doubt-for-ufc-130-rampage-jackson-could-face-rashad-evans.mma

ATT seems to have more guys than any other camp getting popped for something

vera should be pissed if Silva was on something

Edited by StillUnknown

Poor Rampage. :)
What? I think the ring rust got to Rampage the first time.

I was commenting more about the fact that he so wants to put Rashad behind him. The pwn3ge on the TUF, the loss, then all the interviews where he's asked about Evans. He's tortured by Rashad Evans. As far as a Rampage-Evans II goes, I have to wonder if it would be any different. Greg jackson's camp prepared Evans well for the first fight. Now that they know him, they'll be even better.

$5 every Saturday night with a group of friends is chump change. Give me fights, as many as possible.

Last PPV I could only get two people over. Mostly because my schedule makes me have to tape the fights and get people willing to wait to watch after I get of work. And when Bellator and TUF are both in season there are already fights every weekend. Still, wasn't really my point. When I said "price" I was refering to pandering to the lowest common denominator, not $$$.

:ols: Way to reference a kids' theme park. I'm sure Dana wouldn't mind more huge sponsorships, or more network deals. It's a tough guy sport, and yes Dana is brash, but he isn't going to slam the door on big companies on the fence about MMA in honor of some toughness code.

It's not about a "toughness code". It is about presenting the product as what it is, and not compromising. Dana has turned down a lot of TV deals because he wants to make sure the UFC has control over the product. He won't let Showtime, HBO, CBS, ect., tell him how to do anything. The sport will get to be the biggest sport in the world one day. I'm with Dana on that. It is just going to take a lot of time. And that's fine.

Is that seriously the best part about MMA getting big?

No. That was tongue in cheek. Thought it made a good little circle to illustrate a point. MMA Live was awesome online, not so much on TV.

Inside MMA on HDNet is a hell of a lot better than MMA Live on ESPN. Much more informative and company neutral. Also HDNet as a whole is probably the best network for MMA right now period. They cover just about every MMA company from as big as UFC to as small as "EXTREME FIGHTS in Nowhereville, Nowhere"

They also offer a lot more analysis on the fights and fighters, rather then just making everything into a "hype" show.

Also, HDNet shows so many kickass MMA shows, you really get a good perspective of the sport as a whole, on every level of the sport.

Sadly, I don't get HDNet. I have seen the show though. Used to seek it out. It has pretty bad production value though. Can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but I think the old online versions of MMA Live were much better. Yeah, they are kind of UFC-Centric, but that's what the sport is right now. I would watch much less NFL Total Access if they showed higlights of High School games for half the show.

Also, no one has an issue with MMA getting bigger, but when you listen to Dana White speak on the sport, he really comes off as a guy who would be content with UFC growing and everything else staying a regional bush league promotion.

I remember back in the day he had good things to say about Scot Coker, until he signed Fedor, and then it was all the usual bad-mouthing s-talking he is known for.

I am not anti-Dana either. Most of the time I think the guy is genuine and pretty cool, but I can't stand the guy when he is asked about anything non-UFC, because he is pretty abrasive and ridiculous and you pretty much know he is just being full of *****.

First, you are absolutely a Dana hater. That is as obvious as it is that Patrick is stalking Alistar Overeem and might kill him and wear his skin as pajamas.

Second, the guy is running a business. A business he got out of the gutter and on almost every TV in the world. Ask the CEO of McDonalds how he feels about Five Guys Burgers and see what he says. Dana has every right to go after his competition. I take a lot of what he says with a grain of slat, but I also believe he is being very sincere even when he contradicts himself. Lots of people are sincere hypocrites. I bet we all have friends that are like that. If you don't maybe that guys is you.. When you are being filmed and interviewed as often as Dana is those things are going to happen. You can call him out for calling Fedor overrated, but you have to give him credit when a guy thrown out of the UFC taps him out. Part of that is the beauty of the sport, and hindsight says Dana understood that and knows that's why it wasn't worth paying Fedor as much as he was asking for to get him in the octagon. No one is THAT good in this sport. If they would have given Fedor everything the contract structure for every fighter would have changed.

----

Great news about the 5 round fights. Wasn't that long ago that Dana just dismissed the idea. Maybe he'll finally come around on fighting in a ring instead of a cage! :ducksforcover:

Edited by Sebowski

Dana on Fedor is one little sliver in the grand puzzle though. Forget what he says about Fedor. I expect him to call fighters not working for him lesser quality. It is his hypocrisy. He said the same thing about Mark Coleman after Fedor beat him up, which he was actually right about, that Coleman was an over-the-hill has been....only problem? Five years later he is main eventing a UFC PPV. And I am sure the co-promotion was much more of a sticking point with the Fedor negotiations than the raw money.

I am not a Dana hater. I am not sure how much more I can make it clear. He has done a lot of good for the sport. He is an ambassador for UFC, I just don't know much how he cares about the sport outside of the the specific UFC brand, that is all. I have no issue with UFC being the biggest and best MMA promotion forever, that's fine, and anytime they put on good fight cards I will be there watching, however in the competitive sports world you need other promotions that are at least capable of putting on intriguing fights as well. I don't see how it does the sport justice to degrade and call other fighters from other promotions bums. Act like a professional for gawd sakes. It's all part of the game I suppose, and like I said, I like what Dana has to say 90% of the time, I just usually put my sarcasm hat on once he is asked about anything non-UFC related.

In general promoters usually end up coming off pretty sleazy in certain business practices. If Boxing is any indication of where MMA will be once it grows to be bigger where there are 20 champions in every weight division, etc etc.

Edited by NoCalMike

http://mmaweekly.com/matt-hamill-now-expected-to-face-quinton-rampage-jackson-at-ufc-130

The times they are a-changing.

Bob Dylan said it in a song, and now it stands true for the MMA matchmaking business as well. Just days after reports surfaced that Thiago Silva was set to be pulled from his bout against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and former champion Rashad Evans was slated to take the spot, the fight has changed again.

MMAWeekly.com has confirmed with sources close to the negotiations that former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor Matt Hamill has been contacted and agreed to face Jackson at the UFC 130 card in May.

British site MMABay was the first to mention the possibility of the fight, and MMAWeekly.com has confirmed with sources close to the bout that Hamill has been agreed to face Jackson, and at this point at least verbal agreements are in order.

Originally, Rashad Evans was poised to take the fight against Jackson in May, but it appears the UFC changed their mind about the match-up and opted to go another direction. Sources close to Evans have indicated that he is indeed out of the running for the fight against Jackson.

Speculation about Hamill’s involvement started on Thursday when a scheduled fight between he and Phil Davis was yanked from the UFC’s website for the UFC 129 fight card in Toronto. Davis and Hamill were a featured bout on the card, but it mysteriously disappeared.

Now it appears everyone knows why.

For his part, Thiago Silva has stated on numerous sites that he has received no indication that he is out of the bout against Jackson for May 28, but with a pending drug test result still coming back from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, it appears the UFC may not want to take any chances in waiting.

2a68hg8.gif

Not too late to get your Strikeforce tourny picks in!

These are the picks I have:

StillUnknown

Chachie

#98QBKiller

Dr. Do Itch Big

Patrick86L

ceviker

ZoEd

And someone has mine. Can't remember who. I'll post them a couple hrs before the event.

lovetoaster? NoCal? Herrmag? Keastman? Get your picks in!

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Leno picks:

Fedor...too fast and experienced. Always trying to finish. Silva, very talented, but more towards one of those bigass plodding types. Not Hong Man Choi, well besides his head, but still someone I can see Fedor utilizing his ridiculous agility against. Fedor lands a bomb, underhooks, tosses, subs. Vintage. Round 2. In Soviet Russia, armbars Fedor you.

Kharatonov. Expecting to see a finish from either fighter here, and can't bet against Arlovski's knack for getting caught. KO, round 1.

As I already sent to Bowsk...

Fedor (T)KO Silva, round 2.

Kharitonov UD Arlovski.

I want to throw Andrei a win pick here because I keep thinking about how good he looked against Fedor before he got clobbered. I think he was too defensive against Silva and screwed himself out of a a win he could have bagged if he'd had the confidence. However, It's just hard to go with the Pitbull these days. I actually hope he takes this one in grand fashion.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22444/brian-stann-likely-to-meet-jorge-santiago-not-wanderlei-silva-at-ufc-130.mma

After recent reports of a potential return to the UFC, Sengoku middleweight champion Jorge Santiago (23-8 MMA, 1-2 UFC) appears to have an opponent: Brian Stann (10-3 MMA, 4-2 UFC).

Sources close to the organization today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the two middleweight are expected to fight at UFC 130.

Stann initially was slated to Wanderlei Silva (33-10-1 MMA 3-5 UFC) at the May 28 event, though Silva repeatedly has voiced a preference not to fight the fan favorite and military hero.

Currently, bout agreements have not been signed. Additionally, Santiago's agent, Malki Kawa of Authentic Sports Management, said he couldn't confirm the fight or even if the veteran officially has signed with the UFC. Stann's rep also declined to comment.

ESPN.com initially reported Santiago's return to the UFC on Friday, though an opponent wasn't known at the time.

If the Santiago vs. Stann fight is signed, Silva likely will be shifted to another matchup, possibly against Vitor Belfort, whom he recently has been feuding via a series of interviews in the Brazilian media. Belfort recently lost a title fight with middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 126.

U.S. fans likely best remember Santiago for a three-fight stint under the UFC banner in 2006. The Brazilian defeated Justin Levens but was then defeated by Chris Leben and Alan Belcher, which lead to his release.

Since that time, Santiago has racked up an impressive 11-1 record, which includes a 2007 single-night Strikeforce middleweight grand-prix championship via wins over Trevor Prangley and Sean Salmon. Santiago's current win streak also includes two memorable World Victory Road/Sengoku wins over Kazuo Misaki, as well as victories over MMA notables Siyar Bahadurzada, Logan Clark, Jeremy Horn, Mamed Khalidov, Kazuhiro Nakamura and Andrei Semenov, among others.

Stann, meanwhile, has won four of his past five fights, including a recent TKO victory over surging Leben. The former WEC light-heavyweight champ recently has stepped up his game under the tutelage of famed trainer Greg Jackson and his stable of fighters. His recent wins have come over the likes of light heavyweights Steve Cantwell and Rodney Wallace, and after a drop to middleweight, over Mike Massenzio. The lone defeat during his recent stretch came via decision to fast-rising Phil Davis.

UFC 130 takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The pay-per-view main card features a third meeting between UFC lightweight champ Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard.

looks like we'll be seeing Vitor/Wandy II in the near future

In Soviet Russia, armbars Fedor you.

:ols:

I'm picking the same as you:

Fedor by KO

Kharitonov by KO

I'm a little nervous about Fedor's fight after seeing him lose to Werdum but Silva's not on the same level as Werdum...and Silva's head is a HUGE target.

I can't put any faith into Arlovski's beard at this point, I think Kharitonov has the standup to put him to sleep.

Strikeforce will announce on Saturday night's Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva telecast on Showtime that Gina Carano will be returning to action later this year. No exact date or opponent has been determined at this time.

Carano is at the Izod Center, site of Saturday night's event. She will appear in front of the crowd at some point during the telecast to discuss her return.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/12/strikeforce-to-announce-return-of-gina-carano/