Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Well it appears that the talk of Bellator to FX was a little premature. They have signed a deal with MTV2, which although they are making it sound rosy now, is a pretty big step down from FX, IMO.

I dunno, even though I don't like MTV anymore, it definitely appeals to a younger audience. FX, to me at least, seems like a station with an identiy crisis. It's like it doesn't know whether to be Spike, Bravo, or a basic cable station like CBS, so we get a poor man's version of each.

I don't watch MTV, but I think it's a good idea for MMA to be shown to a younger audience.

---------- Post added December-14th-2010 at 01:37 PM ----------

I understand why Kos looked like he did in his fight against GSP. This isn't the ultimate fighter where you're seeing two guys basically improvise... these fights are game planned for a long long time. Preparation revolves around that game plan. I think Kos and his people looked at the first fight with GSP and everything GSP has put on tape since then and they saw the same things we all saw, a guy that wants to get the fight to the ground as fast as he can to hide his vulnerable chin. Kos prepared to keep the fight standing and figured he'd get chances by stuffing take down attempts to slow GSP down.

GSP, proving that it's not just about ability, came in ready to stand with Kos. He went for take downs here and there but for the most part he looked way too comfortable standing for me to believe that wasn't part of the plan. He's now basically defeated Kos with game planning twice. The first fight he was expected NOT to wrestler the UFC golden wrestler (Kos) and came in and immediately took the fight to the ground catching Kos and everyone else entirely off guard. He flipped the script again.

Kos couldn't undo months of training and once his eye shut on him, he was screwed. It's hard enough to adjust to GSP's speed with two eyes. Half blind and hurt it's damn near impossible. Remember folks GSP stuffs 80%+ of take downs attempted on him. A guy with one eye and wounded that trained for a standing fight isn't just going to take down the champ at will... especially when that champ isn't exposing himself to the take down by landing hard jabs from a distance.

Very nice post!

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AhaY0KKxjwZvHNAlPWwv7d09Eo14?slug=ki-ufcrio121510

The Ultimate Fighting Championship has continued to expand and set ticket and gate records despite a struggling economy in much of the world. It won’t have any such problems in Brazil, where the economy is one of the most robust in the world and grew nearly 9 percent in the second quarter of 2010.

The promotion will try to take advantage of the economy and the rabid mixed martial arts following in the country when it hosts a pay-per-view card on Aug. 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

UFC president Dana White told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday that many of the 36 Brazilian fighters on the company’s roster would compete on the show. Among the Brazilians under contract to the UFC are light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, middleweight champion Anderson Silva, featherweight champion Jose Aldo and middleweight contender Vitor Belfort.

White said the UFC’s interest in Brazil intensified after Rio de Janeiro landed the 2016 Summer Olympics.

“Because of how big this is here, people were always asking me about Brazil and when it would happen and I always said it probably won’t happen for a while because we weren’t focused on it,” White said by telephone Wednesday from Rio, where he was headed to a news conference to announce the show. “But when they got the Olympics, I said, ‘Now we’re interested,’ and we really began to look at Brazil.

“The economy is doing extremely well down here. The fact that these guys got the Olympics, the [2014] World Cup and all these big events, it just made sense. The economy has really been kick-started and there are a lot of good things going on in Brazil.”

The UFC airs on three channels in Brazil, said Jaime Pollack, the UFC’s associate general counsel and director of international television affairs. It supplies about 65 percent of the programming to the Combat Channel, which goes to about 80,000 subscribers at a cost of $40 a month. Sport TV is a national all-sports cable network and Rede TV is a free-to-air broadcast channel.

The card will mark the first UFC event in Brazil in nearly 13 years, since UFC Ultimate Brazil on Oct. 16, 1998, in Sao Paulo.

Edited by StillUnknown

Huge move. Imagine the fighters on that card. Aldo, Wandy, Shogun vs. Lil Nog II? They could create a huge splash in that country with one card. The hardcore fans down there would swarm to a card laden with Brazilians. Mass media down there would have to cover it, creating an entirely new fanbase.

Agreed. They are going to try and make that a massive card, and it should not be too hard with all of the Brazilian fighters in the UFC. I just can't wait to see the crowd for an event like that. I just imagine the pandemonium when the lights go out and Wandy or A. Silva's music starts.

I dunno, even though I don't like MTV anymore, it definitely appeals to a younger audience. FX, to me at least, seems like a station with an identiy crisis. It's like it doesn't know whether to be Spike, Bravo, or a basic cable station like CBS, so we get a poor man's version of each.

I don't watch MTV, but I think it's a good idea for MMA to be shown to a younger audience.

You are right in that FX has a little of an identity crisis and that this move puts them in a good demographic, but this is MTV2, not MTV. I don't know the numbers, but I would have to think that FX would have put Bellator in a lot more homes, as they are on basic cable on many systems and MTV2 is not. What I heard was that the plan for FX was going to have it on a Thursday night lineup along with other shows like Always Sunny in Philadelphia and probably something like The League or Archer. I think that would have been a whole lot more beneficial to Bellator, but apparently it fell apart.

I don't see lil nog getting in title contention, maybe silva vs shogun for the brazil card. That would be amazing.

That would be incredible. I don't know if they would do that before Anderson-GSP though. Although I could be wrong...

Edited by lovetoaster

I would like to see shogun vs silva more than gsp vs silva,

I agree.

I really hope GSP and Silva don't fight. I don't think St.Pierre would be wise to go up that far in weight and I wouldn't blame him at all for turning that fight down. I absolutely concede that only Dana White can ultimately decide who must fight each other and that he's got to do what he can to give the fans what they want. I just think Silva is too big for Georges. GSP is a WW that belongs right where he is physically. Dana would tarnish GSP's reputation unnecessarily. A catch weight thing might work but that could be asking too much weight cut from Silva, risking his stature unnecessarily. There are MWs that GSP could fight due to their natural weight but Spider is a man who walks around at 205+. This particular matchup just doesn't work as a pound-for-pound contest because these two individuals can't find a fair weight zone. I'm not the expert here though. it's just the way I see it.

WEC 53: How Long Will They Mourn Me?

before i get into picks, i'm going to miss the WEC. even when they didn't have big names, the cards were as entertaining as anything any other promotion put out. i can literally only remember them having 2 cards that i didn't enjoy

Donald Cerrone vs. Chris Horodecki: Horodecki has a decent standup game, but the last time he fought a taller, better striker, he ran away making for an extremely comical finish. Bad matchup all around for Horodecki, Cerrone's has the reach, power, and technique advantage on the feet. On the ground, it only gets worse for Horodecki. I'll be impressed if Horodecki sees the final bell.

Cerrone by (T)KO, Round 2

Dominick Cruz vs. Scott Jorgensen: outside of Jorgensen catching Cruz with something big, i don't like his chances to win this fight. Cruz's movement is hard to prepare for, and I think it will carry Cruz in this fight. He'll be able to get in with his combos to score points and get out before Jorgensen can land anything of harm. Jorgensen is a decent wrestler, but Cruz has defended takedowns from better wrestlers. Cruz's lack of power will make this go the distance, but it will be a clear victory.

Cruz by Unanimous Decision

Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis: I'm a big fan of Pettis and hope he wins, but it won't be easy. Pettis should have the edge standing as he brings some techniques you just wouldn't expect to see inside a cage. I think the power edge will go to Benson, but technique is all Pettis. Henderson is a good wrestler, but Pettis showed against Roller that he can defend takedowns from great wrestlers. Both fighters have shown good ground games, particularly Pettis from the bottom and Benson's submission defense. I think Benson's gas tank will carry him in this fight. Pettis has shown a tendency to gas into the 3rd round of his previous bouts. Should his cardio not be good tonight, Benson will slap a choke on late in the fight to end it. Pettis is so young though, its hard to know just how much he's improved since we've seen him last. I'm rooting for Pettis, but I think Henderson takes it by being in better shape. For the record, i'm not giving either of these fighters much of a chance when they face the winner of Edgar/Maynard II.

Henderson by Submission, 4th Round

Huge move. Imagine the fighters on that card. Aldo, Wandy, Shogun vs. Lil Nog II? They could create a huge splash in that country with one card. The hardcore fans down there would swarm to a card laden with Brazilians. Mass media down there would have to cover it, creating an entirely new fanbase.
Agreed. They are going to try and make that a massive card, and it should not be too hard with all of the Brazilian fighters in the UFC. I just can't wait to see the crowd for an event like that. I just imagine the pandemonium when the lights go out and Wandy or A. Silva's music starts.

That's one card I can safely say I'll be buying. MMA is already huge in Brazil, I'm surprised they couldn't find a bigger arena for the event though, I bet they could easily sell out 25k seats in Rio.

WEC 53: How Long Will They Mourn Me?

:ols:

I think Gsp beats Anderson easily even at 185lbs.. If Sonnen could hit and takedown Anderson with ease George will do it even more, he is a way more explosive athlete.. Sonnen was winning the standup in the fight as well but used it to setup take downs.. I've watched Anderson mounted by Lutter and taken down and controlled at times in alot of his fights even though he has rallied those fighters did'nt have the toolbox,athletism or endurance that GSP posses..

I think Gsp beats Anderson easily even at 185lbs.. If Sonnen could hit and takedown Anderson with ease George will do it even more, he is a way more explosive athlete.. Sonnen was winning the standup in the fight as well but used it to setup take downs.. I've watched Anderson mounted by Lutter and taken down and controlled at times in alot of his fights even though he has rallied those fighters did'nt have the toolbox,athletism or endurance that GSP posses..

i don't think you're giving Sonnen enough credit for the caliber of wrestler he is, and I also think you're not giving enough attention to the natural size disparity between GSP & Anderson

i don't think you're giving Sonnen enough credit for the caliber of wrestler he is, and I also think you're not giving enough attention to the natural size disparity between GSP & Anderson

I know Sonnen is a top notch wrestler who is a big 185lber but look at Lutter,Henderson,Marquart etc they all had him down... The size disparity is'nt gonna be a issue GSP walks around at 185-190lbs and he is a guy who can add 10lbs rather easily.. He can come into fight night at 195-200lbs and a good bit stronger.. Honestly i think GSP is to drawn out at 170lbs and should move up permanetly..

GSP will dictate where that fight takes place and would win a easy 5 round decision just like Sonnen should have.. I'd be willing to lay money on that fight its a terrible style matchup for Anderson...

Edited by Samuels

Todd Harris had one of the dumbest comments i've heard from a commentator. the man actually suggested the ref would stand them up in the middle of a triangle

LOL. I think Bonnar had to do a double take before he commented (or keep himself from punching him). Harris tried to cover by saying something about how the WEC expects more.

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 10:19 PM ----------

I know Sonnen is a top notch wrestler who is a big 185lber but look at Lutter,Henderson,Marquart etc they all had him down... The size disparity is'nt gonna be a issue GSP walks around at 185-190lbs and he is a guy who can add 10lbs rather easily.. He can come into fight night at 195-200lbs and a good bit stronger.. Honestly i think GSP is to drawn out at 170lbs and should move up permanetly..

GSP will dictate where that fight takes place and would win a easy 5 round decision just like Sonnen should have.. I'd be willing to lay money on that fight its a terrible style matchup for Anderson...

While I disagree about the size issue (it is going to be a big difference for GSP considering both he and Silva cut heavily, and Silva is in the higher weight division), you do raise a good point about people being able to take advantage of Silva. The one issue GSP will face is he has ZERO chance in the stand up. I realize that Sonnen did a great job in that fight, but I honestly think Sonnen psyched Silva out for that fight. That's not GSP's strong suit, and if he attempts to stand for more than 30 seconds at a clip, he'll be in trouble. Silva will be motivated for that fight. And a motivated Silva is just about unbeatable in his weight class.

i love the way Cruz sets up his combos, Jorgensen has no idea when or where they're coming

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 10:44 PM ----------

Cruz slips more punches than any mma fighter that i can remember

I preface by saying your knowledge of MMA far exceeds mine. But, am I wrong in thinking that any fighter trained well in dirty boxing (ala Couture, hell, by his camp) will beat Cruz? He looks great, but if you eliminate his movement, and have solid wrestling, won't that pretty much slant the fight?

I preface by saying your knowledge of MMA far exceeds mine. But, am I wrong in thinking that any fighter trained well in dirty boxing (ala Couture, hell, by his camp) will beat Cruz? He looks great, but if you eliminate his movement, and have solid wrestling, won't that pretty much slant the fight?

in theory yes, but good luck pinning him against the cage. as he showed tonight, he's got some damn good wrestling of his own. the couture method probably would be best, but you can't pin, what you can't catch.

his rematch with Faber should be great. they fought back in 2007, both have obviously improved since then, but i think the rematch may go cruz's way. I wouldn't be shocked if they got the next coaching gigs for The Ultimate Fighter

in theory yes, but good luck pinning him against the cage. as he showed tonight, he's got some damn good wrestling of his own. the couture method probably would be best, but you can't pin, what you can't catch.

his rematch with Faber should be great. they fought back in 2007, both have obviously improved since then, but i think the rematch may go cruz's way. I wouldn't be shocked if they got the next coaching gigs for The Ultimate Fighter

Sorry, another question. In your opinion, do you expect better competition now that the weight division is moving to the UFC (aka PRIMETIME)? I'm not convinced any of these guys will matter now that they've gone from the minor leagues to the big leagues (well, not in 2 -3 years). I realize there was no other organization for this weight division to fight in that mattered. But don't you see 155'ers now cutting?

Sorry, another question. In your opinion, do you expect better competition now that the weight division is moving to the UFC (aka PRIMETIME)? I'm not convinced any of these guys will matter now that they've gone from the minor leagues to the big leagues (well, not in 2 -3 years). I realize there was no other organization for this weight division to fight in that mattered. But don't you see 155'ers now cutting?

i agree with you, i highly doubt any of these 155'ers will be that competitive in the UFC. if the winner of this fight wasn't guaranteed a title shot, i don't think they would progress to one on their own.

of the 155'ers, i think Pettis has the best chance of doing something in the UFC, but thats mostly because he's so young we don't really know how good he can be

i agree with you, i highly doubt any of these 155'ers will be that competitive in the UFC. if the winner of this fight wasn't guaranteed a title shot, i don't think they would progress to one on their own.

of the 155'ers, i think Pettis has the best chance of doing something in the UFC, but thats mostly because he's so young we don't really know how good he can be

I was actually talking about the 135 weight division. I thought the UFC was absorbing them. IF I'm wrong, apologies for the ignorance.

Holy ****, what a fight!

WEC is going out with a classic

I was actually talking about the 135 weight division. I thought the UFC was absorbing them. IF I'm wrong, apologies for the ignorance.

Holy ****, what a fight!

my mistake, i read your post wrong.

the UFC is absorbing the 135lb division. there is alot of great talent at the top, but not much depth. i'm sure with it being incorporated into the UFC, more fighters will find a way to get into the weight class.

Edited by StillUnknown