Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Toney may be the only fighter in MMA history who speaks English as his first language (kind of) and still needs subtitles. :ols:

Boxers for whatever reason tend to be harder to understand more often than MMA fighters.

I'd like to see James Toney and Fred Smoot sit in for Lavar and Dukes for one show. You'd see confused looking sports fans in traffic all the way home.

Poor Frankie...I think BJ's going to come in motivated and finish this one.

Edgar's not easy to finish. I'm actually nervous that we will see a replay of the first fight. :(

i have a terrible feeling that Toney is going to land that punch before Couture can get him down

I do too. James Toney is not someone to take lightly even as an old geezer. For the last 15 or so fights of his boxing career he showed up out of shape and unmotivated and still beat young, conditioned, dangerous fighters on skill and craftiness alone.

If Randy thought guys like Chuck and Nog hit him hard, he's got a whole new kinda hard punch coming at him tomorrow night. I'm hoping he gets it to ground asap.

I think Toney's gonna come out with a flying gogoplata and surprise us. :D

That being said, I see BJ winning tomorrow night, unless he tries to prove a point and outbox Edgar like the first fight. If it hits the ground, I think BJ wears him down and gets the sub. Still going to be rooting for Edgar either way, but who knows.

LOL, you're right! DeFranco does kind of remind me of Sonnen :ols:

Pros Picks!

Pros who picked Couture: 50

Pros who picked Toney: 3

Pros who couldn’t decide: 1

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pros-Pick-Couture-vs-Toney-26607

Nam Phan: I think Randy will confuse James Toney by asking him a complicated question and, while Toney is distracted, knock him out. In all seriousness, it will be wise for Randy to quickly take Toney down and work for the ground-and-pound and win by TKO or submission.

Robin Black: Man, James Toney is gonna smash Randy’s face. When Randy comes in, James will throw that big uppercut and knock him out before he tries to lay on him, proving once and for all that boxing is better than MMA and Toney really is “The Ultimate Fighter.” Just kidding. Toney has no chance. He’s a fool. Randy wins [in] round one via dirty boxing on the fence followed by ground-and-pound on the mat. Boxing is a great sport, but James Toney -- incredible boxing talent that he is -- is kind of an idiot.

Elvis Sinosic: Everybody is picking Randy, so, knowing our luck, Toney is going to land that Hail Mary shot and make us look like monkeys. Saying that, Randy will be all over Toney like a bad suit. He’ll most likely shoot while Bruce Buffer is introducing Toney. We’ll hear Mike Goldberg crying, “It’s all over!” And we’ll hear Joe Rogan telling us, “You can’t stop the Internet.” So look for Randy to finish Toney in the first round, most likely with ground-and-pound, but I wouldn’t count out a sub at all. The best part is going to be the post-fight interviews. I can’t wait to hear what Toney has to say.

Michael Guymon: Randy by brutal beating and better Metamucil (laughs).

Scott Epstein: Let’s take a shot in the dark here and say Randy is gonna take down Mr. Punch Drunk. While Toney is looking like he’s having epilepsy and trying to do the worm, Randy will have mercy and finish with a sub -- because he can.

Brian Warren: Randy is going to smash James. But I heard Toney has been in the lab working on some training nobody’s ever seen before. I’ll give you a hint -- has to do with swimming pool devices and never-before-witnessed pad holding. Toney could never get to hit them because they were held so bad. There is a science behind this kind of training that people are going to start paying big money for if James pulls off this win. I’ve never seen the kind of training Toney has done for this fight in my life. There is no way Couture can be faster then a pool floatie device. That training James did in his video getting ready for this fight was pure science. Randy should have his hardest 30-second fight of his life. Randy by anything he wants.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

UFC 118: This is not mma vs. boxing

Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis: Davis hasn't looked good his last couple of fights. He still has his power, but I think Diaz can outstrike him using his range and awkwardness. If it hits the ground, Diaz wins even easier.

Diaz by (T)KO, Round 3

Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda: There are no secrets to this match. Miranda is a decent blackbelt himself, but if it hits the ground, Maia will twist him into a pretzel.....literally. Miranda should have the wrestling to keep it on the feet, the only way I Maia getting to the ground is from the clinch. Miranda has decent muay thai though, so the clinch might not be the best spot for Maia. I've been getting an "upset" vibe about this match since it was announced. Maia will probably make me look stupid, but I'm going with Miranda.

Miranda by (T)KO, Round 2

Gray Maynard vs. Kenny Florian: Florian's versatility on the feet will have Gray wrestling alot more than he's done in his last couple of fights. If Kenny can stop the takedowns, he wins easily. Wrestling has been the hole in Kenny's game and I don't see him improving enough in that area to stop Maynard from grounding him. Maynard has to watch for the subs and elbows when Kenny is on his back, but I think he brings his blanket and grinds out a decision. Part of me wants Gray to win only to prevent Kenny from getting his 3rd crack at a title, not sure why though.

Maynard by Unanimous Decision

Randy Couture vs. James Toney: There's a distinct possibility that Toney will gas before Bruce Buffer finishes his 30 minute introduction of Couture. Couture chin ain't what it used to be and I can't shake the feeling that Toney will land that punch. This is MMA, crazy **** happens at all times.

Toney by (T)KO, Round 1

Frankie Edgar vs. BJ Penn: You never really know what you're going to get from Penn. I thought Edgar would use the strategy he did for the first fight, I just didn't think he could do so and survive all 5 rounds. Edgar has great movement in the cage and I'm not sure BJ will be able to counter that. If the judges are anything like they were for the first fight, activity will be favored over accuracy and harder shots. Penn will not outwork Edgar, therefore he has to hurt Edgar which he didn't do enough of in the first fight. I see Edgar's movement allowing him to rack up points standing, while staying out of BJ's killzones.

Edgar by Split Decision

edit: I didn't realize I picked so many upsets. I'm going to look like an idiot when this night is done :ols:

Edited by StillUnknown

Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis:

I think this will be a pretty good matchup. Davis obviously has the advantage standing and Diaz obviously has the advantage on the ground, but neither guy is terrible at the other guy's strength. This fight could go all sorts of ways, but I think Diaz gets his first taste of a clean KO.

Davis by KO round 2

Gray Maynard vs. Kenny Florian:

Maynard can wrestle at a high level but Kenny can strike and grapple at a high level. This has potential to be FOTN if both guys let it all hang out. Maynard is probably feels that he should be fighting for the title tonight over BJ, so I see him bringing some fire to the cage with him. Although Florian is as focused as we've ever seen. He's on a really good tear right now and he wants that third shot bad. I think Maynard gets finished for the first time (other than the double KO lol)

Florian by what else? RNC Round 3

Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda:

Miranda is a black belt but Maia is on another level with his grappling. Maia's BJJ probably also translates into MMA better than most other fighters, save for maybe Roger Gracie or Jacare. Miranda can wrestle and has decent power both of which he can use to avoid getting submitted by Maia. At the same time, I think Maia's standup has improved since being KO'd by Nate the Great. Their comparable grappling skills combined with Maia's cautious approach to striking keeps this fight pretty neutral.

Maia by UD

Randy Couture vs. James Toney:

Toney's definitely dangerous but I think he's a little overhyped to make this match more exciting than it really is. Toney was a beast in the boxing ring and has one of my favorite HL compilations but this is his first MMA match, he's a decade past his glory days and he's ridiculously out of shape for a three round fight. Toney literally has a puncher's chance to put Randy to bed but instead he gets Art Jimmerson'd.

Couture by arm triangle round 1

Frankie Edgar vs. BJ Penn:

BJ might be the most dangerous fighter in the world when he's motivated. I thought he barely won the last fight but obviously the judges didn't. It was a very close bout. I listened to an interview with BJ on Bruce Buffer's radio show the other day and he's 100 percent motivated for this fight. Edgar is a great wrestler and a pretty solid boxer, but I think BJ works him on the feet and uses his world class BJJ to end the fight in the later rounds when Edgar isn't expecting it.

BJ by RNC round 4

Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis:

Nate is such a slow starter. I wonder if he can keep his chin clean for the first 2 rounds. I say Marcus early or Nate late.

Nate Diaz by split D.

Gray Maynard vs. Kenny Florian:

I don't know if KenFlo has enough tricks up his sleeve to wear Gray out. I usually see Florian winning by simply being more active and smarter than his opponents but Maynard does not seem to be the type to lose steam. However, I'm a KenFlo fan...

...so I must agree with #98. Florian by RNC.

Randy Couture vs. James Toney:

Wow. I'm nervous about this fight simply because it's such a wildcard. Like SU, I have a lot of trouble believing that Toney won't land one clean shot to at least open up a window for 2 or 3 more to finish, much less simply drop Randy off in Sandmanland. Couture's striking defense went out the window against Big Nog. He was getting hit from all angles. I know I'm probably disrespecting Captain America but man, this is a dangerous fight for a guy his age with limited striking defense. Randy says he'll use the cage to dirty box but he's fighting the dirtiest boxer in history. Toney's even a master of hitting people who are trying to tie him up and that's step one for Randy. It just doesn't look good for MMA tonight in my mind. Randy has everything to lose here and James has nothing to lose whatsoever. I can't believe I'm picking against Randy "The Natural" Couture in his "natural" habitat..

James Toney by KO round 1. :(

(But if Toney doesn't get the KO early he'll be worn out by the middle of the 2nd.)

BTW- This is a true test of boxing vs MMA. Not that silly Mercer vs. Sylvia debacle. However, we all know how that one ended. I'm an MMA fan today, but historically a boxing fan and a guy like James "Lights-Out" Toney is not one to make a statement against.

Frankie Edgar vs. BJ Penn:

I have zero technical commentary to add to my prediction for this fight. I'm a BJ Penn fan through and through so there's no way I'm picking against him. I'm worried though. Real worried that we will see a carbon copy of the first affair. Edgar has simply the perfect style and temperament to frustrate an aging BJ Penn. He won't take enough chances to get punked by BJ and he's young, strong, and fast enough to annoy BJ for 5 rounds. Again.

BJ "The Prodigy" Penn by flying knee, GNP, and RNC. Round 3. :)

Edit- Another note on the Couture-Toney fight... Dana White wouldn't put a HOF MMA fighter in a situation where he and MMA could look really bad so I gotta think he knows he's got a win here. I just hope he's not yet another person underestimating James Toney.

Edited by Chachie

Edit- Another note on the Couture-Toney fight... Dana White wouldn't put a HOF MMA fighter in a situation where he and MMA could look really bad so I gotta think he knows he's got a win here. I just hope he's not yet another person underestimating James Toney.

Dana is taking a huge risk, mma is a sport where craziness is the norm. We've seen Serra finish GSP in one round, Werdum sub Fedor in one round, so Toney catching Couture isn't out of the realm of possibility

it would be different if Toney was still in his prime and won, but Toney's prime left him a decade ago. dude is fat, punch-drunk, multiple time steroid offender, & only motivated by his payday. if he wins, it makes MMA look very weak

I had a hard enough time convincing people that Tim Sylvia did not represent the best of MMA when 45+ Ray Mercer flat-lined him. I'm not looking forward to defending the sport if Toney wins :(

Dana is taking a huge risk, mma is a sport where craziness is the norm. We've seen Serra finish GSP in one round, Werdum sub Fedor in one round, so Toney catching Couture isn't out of the realm of possibility

it would be different if Toney was still in his prime and won, but Toney's prime left him a decade ago. dude is fat, punch-drunk, multiple time steroid offender, & only motivated by his payday. if he wins, it makes MMA look very weak

I had a hard enough time convincing people that Tim Sylvia did not represent the best of MMA when 45+ Ray Mercer flat-lined him. I'm not looking forward to defending the sport if Toney wins :(

I think Couture wins this fight 29 out of 30 times. I think the fact that everyone is trying to paint this as boxing vs. MMA makes us extra nervous as to the backlash if Toney does indeed score the KTFO...which is possible but not likely IMO. I don't see Couture messing around with a standup war like he has with in the past with other guys.

Besides a real boxing vs. MMA statement fight would be two guys both still in their primes. Anderson Silva/GSP/Jose Aldo/Fedor type guys against whomever is equivalent to them in boxing in their weight classes.

I know we shouldn't wish injury on anyone, but as an exception, I hope Couture breaks Toney's arm, with the way Toney is a rookie coming in here talkin as if he was a veteran Hall of Famer, and totally disrespecting an actual veteran Hall fo Famer.

I don't want to see a broken arm but I wouldn't' mind Couture choking him out. At least he wouldn't have damage to show for it after the fight's over.

I don't want to see a broken arm but I wouldn't' mind Couture choking him out. At least he wouldn't have damage to show for it after the fight's over.

Could he "choke him out" in such a way that his vocal box is permanently damaged in order to shut up, or at least quiet down, Toney's big trap ?? :evilg: :evilg:

Edited by Mickalino

I don't think this is boxing vs. MMA at all. Boxing is part of MMA. Like jiu jitsu is part of MMA and judo is part of MMA. It's like a world champion jiu jitsu player coming in and having a chance to sub someone. That isn't jiu jitsu vs. MMA, it's a martial artist trying to win a fight.

The majority of boxing hardcores haven't realized this correlation. Hell, most MMA fans haven't either. For some reason boxing and MMA have become "completely different sports." Not so fast. They are obviously way different, but they both have obvious similarities.

I hate when James Toney makes the point "yall are afraid to come to my sport, so I gotta come to yours." No ****, James. Anderson Silva wouldn't go roll with Rousimar Palhares while they were both wearing gi's. BJ Penn wouldn't try to bounce around on one leg in a takedown contest against Johnny Hendricks. Randy Couture wouldn't try to box with James Toney.

(Or let's hope not)

The key word in this sport is "mixed" [martial arts]. It's still, at this point, a melting pot for fighters from different styles. Mixed Martial Arts is the truest (legal) testing ground for fighting...NOT BOXING.

Or jiu jitsu, or wrestling, or judo.

This isn't MMA vs. Boxing. It's simply another martial artist bringing his skills to the octagon.

Saying boxers are better than Mixed Martial Artists is like saying quarterbacks are better than football players.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I don't think this is boxing vs. MMA at all. Boxing is part of MMA. Like jiu jitsu is part of MMA and judo is part of MMA. It's like a world champion jiu jitsu player coming in and having a chance to sub someone. That isn't jiu jitsu vs. MMA, it's a martial artist trying to win a fight.

The majority of boxing hardcores haven't realized this correlation. Hell, most MMA fans haven't either. For some reason boxing and MMA have become "completely different sports." Not so fast. They are obviously way different, but they both have obvious similarities.

I hate when James Toney makes the point "yall are afraid to come to my sport, so I gotta come to yours." No ****, James. Anderson Silva wouldn't go roll with Rousimar Palhares while they were both wearing gi's. BJ Penn wouldn't try to bounce around on one leg in a takedown contest against Johnny Hendricks. Randy Couture wouldn't try to box with James Toney.

(Or let's hope not)

The key word in this sport is "mixed" [martial arts]. It's still, at this point, a melting pot for fighters from different styles. Mixed Martial Arts is the truest (legal) testing ground for fighting...NOT BOXING.

This isn't MMA vs. Boxing. It's simply another martial artist bringing his skills to the octagon.

Saying boxers are better than Mixed Martial Artists is like saying quarterbacks are better than football players.

Lots of truth here.

There's a reason why MMA has evolved from style vs. style to a sport where the majority of athletes are well-rounded in all major facets of the game. Being a one-dimensional "style" fighter doesn't get you anywhere in MMA these days, you've got to be able to at least hold your own wherever the fight goes.

You are absolutely right, Strokes. I said in my prediction post that this is a truer test on boxing vs. MMA than Sylvia-Mercer was and I was making the exact mistake you describe. Marcus Davis, KJ Noons and a host of other MMA stars were boxers before they entered the cage. Nobody uses them as notches on the boxing belt to promote their war on MMA. I'm aware that boxing is one of the martial arts in mixed martial arts but I did get sucked into the hype. :)