Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

All the time, damn near everytime there's a main event that doesn't involve a belt. I mean if you're going to headline a PPV event it's typically the fight people are paying to see, at least it should be. So if I'm shelling out $55 I want $55's worth of ass whooping.

Look what Dream does with their tournaments, damn near every fight on their card is worthy of being main event fights. Not these watered down cards UFC is putting out. No reason for them to change anything though, there's plenty of dumbasses like me that keep shelling out the cash to see their events. I don't shell it out because it's UFC though, I shell it out because I love to watch MMA.

$55? I pay $45.

You giving waaaaaaaaay too much credit to DREAM. I only see one main event caliber fight here:

DREAM Heavyweight bout: Gary Goodridge vs. Gegard Mousasi[9]

Gegard Mousasi def. Gary Goodridge via TKO (punches) R1 1:34

DREAM vs SRC, Lightweight bout: Shinya Aoki (DREAM Champion) vs. Mizuto Hirota (SRC Champion)[9]

Shinya Aoki def. Mizuto Hirota via technical submission (Keiichi Sasahara 2010) R1 2:17 that broke his arm.[10]

DREAM vs SRC, Heavyweight bout: Alistair Overeem vs. Kazuyuki Fujita[9]

Alistair Overeem def. Kazuyuki Fujita via KO (knee) R1 1:15

Sengoku Raiden Championship Heavyweight bout: Satoshi Ishii vs. Hidehiko Yoshida[9]

Hidehiko Yoshida def. Satoshi Ishii via unanimous decision R3 5:00

DREAM vs SRC, Featherweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Masanori Kanehara (SRC Champion)[9]

Masanori Kanehara def. "Kid" Yamamoto via unanimous decision R3 5:00

DREAM vs SRC, Lightweight bout: Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kazunori Yokota[9]

Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Kazunori Yokota via unanimous decision R3 5:00

DREAM vs SRC, Featherweight bout: Hideo Tokoro vs. Jong Man Kim[9]

Hideo Tokoro def. Jong Man Kim via unanimous decision R3 5:00

DREAM vs SRC, Middleweight bout: Melvin Manhoef vs. Kazuo Misaki[9]

Melvin Manhoef def. Kazuo Misaki via TKO (punches) R1 1:49

DREAM vs SRC, Welterweight bout: Hayato Sakurai vs. Akihiro Gono[9]

Akihiro Gono def. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai via submission (armbar) R2 3:56

DREAM vs SRC, Featherweight bout: Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Michihiro Omigawa[9]

Michihiro Omigawa def. Hiroyuki Takaya via TKO (punches) R1 2:54

DREAM vs SRC, Heavyweight bout: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hiroshi Izumi[9]

Hiroshi Izumi def. Katsuyori Shibata unanimous decision R3 5:00

DREAM Super Hulk Grand Prix 2009 Final: Ikuhisa Minowa vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou[9]

Ikuhisa Minowa def. Sokoudjou via TKO (punches) R3 3:29

From MMA Junkie:

UFC and M-1 reopen talks; White hopeful for Emelianenko and Mousasi in the UFC

by Dann Stupp on Jan 04, 2010 at 12:00 pm ET

Apparently, the Ultimate Fighting Championship's door hasn't completely closed on notables Fedor Emelianenko and Gegard Mousasi.

Although the M-1 fighters are signed in the U.S. to Strikeforce and past negotiations with the UFC fell apart, UFC president Dana White said he recently reopened talks with M-1 Global boss Vadim Finkelstein.

White wouldn't elaborate on the nature of the discussions, only saying they've taken place "more recently than you would think." But Finkelstein has since confirmed he's entered talks and hopes "fans will be happy this time" with the outcome.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17416/ufc-and-m-1-reopen-talks-white-hopeful-for-emelianenko-and-mousasi-in-the-ufc.mma

Very interesting. I'll believe it when I see it, but I bet it happens at some point not too far off in the future. These are the most positive words I have seen from Finklestein. But he is an agent, so he makes his money by stirring the pot.

Edited by lovetoaster

$55? I pay $45.

You giving waaaaaaaaay too much credit to DREAM. I only see one main event caliber fight here:

I agree. I like Dream, because I like MMA and they do have some good fighters. But they have not had too many stacked cards recently. They have good fighters, but more often than not it seems like they are not fighting other top fighters.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17416/ufc-and-m-1-reopen-talks-white-hopeful-for-emelianenko-and-mousasi-in-the-ufc.mma

Very interesting. I'll believe it when I see it, but I bet it happens at some point not too far off in the future. These are the most positive words I have seen from Finklestein. But he is an agent, so he makes his money by stirring the pot.

that would be Dana killing two birds with one stone:

the first, giving the fans what they want in Fedor & Mousasi

the second, taking Strikeforce's best two fighters

$55? I pay $45.

$54.95 in HD on directv.

As for the dream card, did you even watch the card? There were some extremely entertaining fights on that card. All I'm saying is I sat through over 4hrs of fights and was a hell of a lot more entertained than most of the cards the UFC put out over the past year. My point is and has been that the UFC could combine a couple of these cards into one great card instead of nickle and diming us to death.

I'm like a freaking lemming though, I keep buying the sumbiatches.

Damn! I thought it sounded too good to be true.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17423/m-1-global-exec-says-theres-absolutely-zero-communication-with-ufc.mma

M-1 Global exec says there's "absolutely zero communication" with UFC

by John Morgan on Jan 04, 2010 at 6:10 pm ET

It didn't take much for the Fedor Emelianenko discussion to begin again.

With a simple post-UFC 108 statement that he had talked to M-1 Global officials "more recently than you would think," UFC president Dana White set the rumor mill in motion that Emelianenko, and perhaps fellow M-1 fighter Gegard Mousasi, could be on their way to the world's largest MMA promotion.

Today, M-1 Global exec Jerry Millen told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that in reality, the two sides were having "absolutely zero communication."

"I called everybody in the company before I made this statement," Millen said. "I called (M-1 Global president) Vadim Finkelchtein and talked to him, and he said, 'Absolutely not. There's no correspondence with the UFC at all.'

"I think Dana, in a fantasy dream he had, he signed Fedor. That's probably the 'more recent than you think.' He's dreaming. He wants Fedor. His heavyweight division is a mess."

With current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar on the shelf indefinitely, Millen believes White may now more than ever see the need to bring Emelianenko, who is a part owner of M-1 Global, into the fold. Millen also contends the UFC could use "The Last Emperor" to help bolster lagging pay-per-view sales.

"The (UFC) pay-per-views aren't doing well," Millen said. "I don't care what anybody says, the numbers that people are reporting the pay-per-views are doing, they're not doing.

"Their pay-per-views are hurting, and for the next couple of pay-per-views, look at the main events. I love the fighters that are fighting, but they're not going to sell a lot of pay-per-views. So Dana has got to stir up controversy or talk it up any way he can."

Millen believes White's vague comments regarding potential communications with M-1 Global may have been a creative attempt to damage the still-developing partnership between the Russian organization, Strikeforce, Showtime and CBS.

"When I saw this coming down, I was like, 'OK, what's going on here? Is this Dana trying to affect our relationship with CBS and Showtime and Strikeforce?'" Millen asked. "We have a great relationship. We're very happy with our partners, and we see a great future with them. But this is a way to undermine somebody.

"If you think somebody isn't fully committed, would you be fully committed? What you do is create doubt, and that's what they're trying to do – create doubt that M-1 is not fully committed. But we are fully committed to Showtime and Strikeforce. It's a great partnership."

That partnership resulted in both Emelianenko and Mousasi fighting on CBS this past November, and the two will likely repeat the process in April. But with Strikeforce and M-1 Global officially tied together for just three fights, could things change some time in 2010?

"You can never say 'Never' in anything," Millen said. "Would I love to see Fedor fight Brock Lesnar? Sure. I'd love to see him smash Lesnar. But it would have to be an M-1/Strikeforce/UFC collaboration, and they're never going to that. They're never going to break their business model. They're just not, unless the fans keep hammering Dana so much that they have to."

White has admitted to offering millions of dollars for Emelianenko's services, and the UFC exec also admitted at this past Saturday's press conference that he was a fan of Mousasi. But Millen said it's going to take more than a large contract to bridge the gap between the two parties.

"Dana wants [Emelianenko and Mousasi] now, bad, because he needs those guys," Millen said. "They're two of the best fighters in the world. But if things don't go his way, in two months it will be, 'Fedor sucks. He's overrated. He doesn't fight anybody. There's no depth.' Well look, your guys are dropping off, too. He goes back and forth. I think he's bi-polar.

"Money can buy you just about everything but Fedor. That's what Dana is running into. ... Dana White has no clue about the people he's dealing with in M-1. He doesn't know anything about the people in M-1. He doesn't know how to treat them. He doesn't know their background. He doesn't know who they are as people. That's his biggest problem."

Millen said the M-1 Global team, including Emelianenko, is more interested in respect than the amount of zeroes on a paycheck.

"Dana White doesn't respect anybody," Millen said. "He doesn't respect his fighters, I don't feel. He respects Fedor, and then he doesn't respect him. He respects the Russians for a minute, and then he calls them 'The Crazy Russians.' Dana White needs to learn how to respect people. He doesn't treat people very well.

"I just feel he thinks he's at the top of the world, but the people you see going up the ladder are the same ones you see coming back down. It's all about respect."

So according to Millen, the speculation can stop just as quickly as it started. The M-1 Global exec says his company is satisfied with its current partnerships, and their position on key topics such as co-promotion haven't changed.

"We're very happy," Millen said. "Everything with the first event was a great success.

"Dana is grabbing at straws. He wants Fedor so bad he can taste it. ... But as long as M-1 is involved, I'm sure it's always going to be co-promotion. Fedor has been a part of the family. You don't just give your family away. Gegard is an M-1 fighter, as well, and he's right there with Fedor."

(Pictured: Jerry Millen)

John Morgan is the lead staff reporter for MMAjunkie.com.

Go back and read my previous posts, this is what I've said about Dana before. MMA is just like football, you're making money on the backs of men who suceed on heart and their physical gifts, you can't treat them like property, tools or equipment. I'm behind Fedor and M1 100%, Dana could go pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

$54.95 in HD on directv.

As for the dream card, did you even watch the card? There were some extremely entertaining fights on that card. All I'm saying is I sat through over 4hrs of fights and was a hell of a lot more entertained than most of the cards the UFC put out over the past year. My point is and has been that the UFC could combine a couple of these cards into one great card instead of nickle and diming us to death.

I'm like a freaking lemming though, I keep buying the sumbiatches.

The more the merrier for me. Myabe more on Spike would appease us both, but I am very glad they had UFC 108. More cards keep more fighters active which is better for them financially and us athletes.

I forgot about the DREAM card so I didn't see it. Probably wouldn;t have spent the 4hrs on it though. I used to do it more often. There is just way too much dead time with those events.

How about giving Dana some love for airing all those prelims for free the last few months? I love that.

Millen is a total jackass and Finklestien is a rat.

Just watched the sherdog video interview with DAna. They asked him about himm saying "we've talked more recently than.." All he would say in the interview was "there are a lot of different ways to make a deal". I believe Dana may be talking with someone else close to Fedor or even Fedor himself about a deal. Fedor has said he himself is under contract to M-1 and must fight where they negotiate it. I think he has two fights left for them. As an optimist I am hoping it is at this point that Fedor leaves M-1 and signs with the UFC.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17429/robbie-lawler-vs-melvin-manhoef-likely-for-strikeforce-miami.mma

A middleweight showdown between strikers Robbie Lawler (18-5 MMA, 1-1 SF) and Strikeforce newcomer Melvin Manhoef (24-6-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) will likely take place later this month at "Strikeforce: Miami."

With just a little more than three weeks to the show, Strikeforce officials have announced just a few matchups for the card.

FiveOuncesofPain.com first reported the Lawler vs. Manhoef fight as likely. Lawler's agent, Monte Cox, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) it's possible but said he hasn't received official confirmation or a bout agreement.

Additionally, Strikeforce officials did not immediately return messages from MMAjunkie.com.

"Strikeforce: Miami" takes place Jan. 30 at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., and airs on Showtime. The only officially announced bouts include Nick Diaz (20-7 MMA, 2-0 SF) vs. Marius Zaromskis (13-3 MMA, 0-0 SF) for the first-ever Strikeforce welterweight title, and Strikeforce women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Santos (8-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) vs. Marloes Coenen (17-3 MMA, 1-0 SF).

And though top prospect Bobby Lashley and NFL great/MMA newcomer Herschel Walker are expected to compete on the card, their opponents (and the rest of the card) have not been revealed despite the fast-approaching event date.

Lawler was expected to fight last month at "Strikeforce: Evolution," but opponent Trevor Prangley was a late scratch from the card, and the fight was pulled from the event. The final EliteXC middleweight champ, Lawler seeks to bounce back from a June loss, held at a catchweight of 182 pounds, to current Strikeforce middleweight champ Jake Shields. Prior to the loss, the UFC, PRIDE and IFL vet was on a five-fight win streak, and all five wins had come by knockout or TKO.

Manhoef, who signed with Strikeforce last month, is also a K-1 kickboxer (37-8) who's previously competed for MMA organizations such as Cage Rage and DREAM. After a recent win over Kauzo Misaki, the Dutch fighter is now 7-2 in his past nine fights, and the losses came to notables Gegard Mousasi and Paulo Filho.

All of Manhoef's past 15 MMA victories have come via knockout. In fact, he's claimed 23 of his 24 career MMA wins by TKO or KO.

Strikeforce is putting together a damn good card for Jan. 30th. can't wait to see Diaz vs. The Whitemare

Also, Dana's getting a little desperate.

This is very true, the UFC has gotten the injury bug worse than the 2009 Redskins lol.

I think he has two fights left for them. As an optimist I am hoping it is at this point that Fedor leaves M-1 and signs with the UFC.

Same here. Hopefully he fights Werdum and Overeem then moves on to the UFC. There's not much there for him after that. Unless they really want to set up a fight between him and Hendo.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17429/robbie-lawler-vs-melvin-manhoef-likely-for-strikeforce-miami.mma

Strikeforce is putting together a damn good card for Jan. 30th. can't wait to see Diaz vs. The Whitemare

Someone's getting knocked out in that Manhoef/Lawler fight. This card is good already and there are only three confirmed bouts. I'm hoping they can squeak Hendo on there in the next week or so.

Lol, gotta love Dana:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17434/ufc-counter-programs-strikeforce-ufc-107-replay-airs-opposite-strikeforce-miami.mma

UFC counter-programs Strikeforce; UFC 107 replay airs opposite "Strikeforce: Miami"

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jan 05, 2010 at 3:40 pm ET

While a new year is upon us, the UFC will once again implement an old strategy.

The UFC's tactics of counter-programming its competitors will continue, and Spike TV will feature a replay of "UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez" on Jan. 30 during the Showtime broadcast of "Strikeforce: Miami."

Featuring select bouts from this past December's UFC 107 event, the two-and-a-half broadcast is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET/PT.

"Strikeforce: Miami," which takes place the same night at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., also airs at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn's dominating, five-round win over Diego Sanchez will be featured on the UFC 107 broadcast, as will heavyweight champion Frank Mir's co-main event win over Cheick Kongo. The action-packed lightweight clash between Kenny Florian and Clay Guida will round out the special.

The UFC 107 replay on Spike TV marks a continuation of the UFC's recent strategy of airing event replays head-to-head with live Strikeforce cards. The Aprill 2009 Showtime debut for Strikeforce, "Shamrock vs. Diaz," was countered by a re-airing of January's "UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II"event while the promotion's CBS debut in November was countered by a UFC special entitled "UFC Main Event."

While the official card for "Strikeforce: Miami" has yet to be officially announced, the reported lineup currently includes:

* Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis (for vacant welterweight title)

* Champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Marloes Coenen (for women's featherweight title)

* Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs*

* Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef*

* Bobby Lashley vs. TBA

* Herschel Walker vs. TBA

Penn just said he is planning on being on the April card in Abu Dabi. Wanted to be on the MArch card, but there are already two title fights on it. I bet it is Maybard if Maynard wins and is healthy. Edgar if not.

I've been thinking Maynard is going to walk over Diaz, but I totally forgot that Diaz subbedMaynard in the TUF semi-final. I need to go back and watch that.

Penn just said he is planning on being on the April card in Abu Dabi. Wanted to be on the MArch card, but there are already two title fights on it. I bet it is Maybard if Maynard wins and is healthy. Edgar if not.

I've been thinking Maynard is going to walk over Diaz, but I totally forgot that Diaz subbedMaynard in the TUF semi-final. I need to go back and watch that.

that abu dhabi card could be special, i think thats where Anderson/Vitor will happen as well

Josh Koschek v Paul Daley is rumored to be in the works...

it makes sense with Fitch/Alves already scheduled to rematch each other.

as much as i would prefer Daley/Alves, Daley/Koscheck makes more sense. if Daley can show he can keep things standing against Koscheck, its easier to sell him as a somewhat credible threat to GSP

Date: Jan 10, 2010

Venue: ARCO Arena

Broadcast: Versus

MAIN CARD

• Champ Jamie Varner vs. interim champ Benson Henderson (to unify lightweight title)
  • Raphael Assuncao vs. Urijah Faber
  • Dave Jansen vs. Kamal Shalorus
  • Mike Brown vs. Anthony Morrison
  • Mackens Semerzier vs. Deividas Taurosevicius

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Akitoshi Tamura vs. Charlie Valencia
  • Bryan Caraway vs. Mark Hominick
  • Wagnney Fabiano vs. Clint Godfrey
  • George Roop vs. Eddie Wineland
  • Will Campuzano vs. Coty Wheeler

WEC card on sunday night

Date: Jan 11, 2010

Venue: Patriot Center on George Mason University campus

Broadcast: Spike TV

MAIN CARD

* Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard

* Evan Dunham vs. Efrain Escudero

* Tom Lawlor vs. Aaron Simpson

* Brad Blackburn vs. Amir Sadollah

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Chris Leben vs. Jay Silva

* Jesse Lennox vs. Rick Story

* Nik Lentz vs. Thiago Tavares

* Mike Guymon vs. Rory MacDonald

* Kyle Bradley vs. Rafael dos Anjos

* Gerald Harris vs. John Salter

* Nick Catone vs. Jesse Forbes

UFC Fight Night on Monday. if i were still in the city, i would've gone to this card

Edited by StillUnknown

Genius quote from the Rocket Scientist Nate Diaz on why Maynard has more wins than him:

"I think they're talking about him getting a title fight because he's had so many wins in a row, but if you think about it, I think I've been fighting more consistently," Diaz said. "I have more fights than Gray, so that's why he's got more wins – because he hasn't fought as many times as I have."

I don't think my hatred for anything Diaz can reach a higher summit than at this moment in time.

WEC card on sunday night

UFC Fight Night on Monday. if i were still in the city, i would've gone to this card

I checked the other day and it's almost totally sold out. The only tickets I could find were $185 each and were in the upper level. I would pay a decent amount for tickets to a big card but that's too expensive for a Fight Night card that isn't even that good.

Genius quote from the Rocket Scientist Nate Diaz on why Maynard has more wins than him:

"I think they're talking about him getting a title fight because he's had so many wins in a row, but if you think about it, I think I've been fighting more consistently," Diaz said. "I have more fights than Gray, so that's why he's got more wins – because he hasn't fought as many times as I have."

I don't think my hatred for anything Diaz can reach a higher summit than at this moment in time.

He's definitely not the smartest guy in MMA. That's for sure.

The Diaz Bros. are stooges but I do love watching them fight. If Nate wants some title talk, all he has to do is win Monday night. I think Gray is too solid to get subbed by Nate but this fight is a toss-up IMHO.

I'm gonna be at the Fight Night in Fairfax on Monday, I'm pretty excited! We MIGHT have an extra 70 dollar ticket if anyone is interested, our seats are pretty dead center on the side.

Anyone here ever been to a UFC event before? I have no idea what to expect haha.