Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

WEC 42 Picks: 9pm(est) on Versus tonight

Jeff Curran vs. Takeya Mizugaki: after seeing his standup battle with torres, curran will try like hell to get this to the ground and work his jiu-jitsu. if it stays standin, i dont give him much of a shot.

Mizugaki by Unanimous Decision

Danny Castillo vs. Ricardo Lamas: not real familiar with either fighter. so on a pure guess, i'll got Lamas winning

Lamas by TKO, Round 2

Joseph Benavidez vs. Dominick Cruz: winner likely gets next crack at the BW title. Benavidez has shown flashy strikes and impressive wrestling, although not much power. i like him to win this one

Benadvidez by Unanimous Decision

Miguel Torres vs. Brian Bowles: Torres has virtually every advantage in this fight outside of wrestling. taking torres down isn't the smartest thing in the world though as his BJJ is some of the best in MMA. standing he shoould be able to use his reach to maintain distance. Bowles is a tough fighter, but he hasn't fought in 9months and that will play a role late in the fight

Torres by Submission, Round 2

All I have to say is this must be what caused my gut feeling yesterday:

volcano_taco.jpg

So, after Miguel Torres fights tonight we will have seen most of the top P4P fighters in the world fight in the last month or so minus Fedor (who of course was supposed to fight).

Torres has a knack for putting on FOTY candidates just about every time he steps in the ring and the Bowles fight has big potential. Bowles has yet to lose and has yet to let a fight go the distance. The WEC card is funny because a lot of the fighters that I'm the most familiar with are fighting on the undercard like Leonard Garcia and Marcus Hicks.

After last night I'm curious why anyone even tries to stand with Anderson. His reflexes and footwork are second to none and his strikes are precise and pack a lot of power, you'll never see him throw a lazy jab, everything he throws has power behind it.

It sounds like Hendo is next for him and I see Anderson taking the fight again but so far Henderson and (lol) Travis Lutter are the only two fighters that have won a round against Anderson since he's come to the UFC. What do those two rounds have in common? Both decided against standing with him, opted to take him to the ground and work from there. I hope Hendo is smarter than Forrest Griffin and realizes that he needs to use his wrestling if he wants to have a chance. Anderson's never been KO'd or even outworked on the feet as far as I know so to try and stand with him is stupid.

This is a sweet week, we had the card last night, WEC tonight, Redskins preseason on Thursday then Strikeforce on Saturday.

Wearing BJ down was the game plan. Well, when you get him into the fence . . . you have to do SOMETHING. Everytime Ken-Flo got him into the fence, he paid for it. And he paid for it with a loss the last time he did it. I didn't make a prediction on this fight. I'm glad I didn't. I thought Ken-Flo would wear him out and win a UD. Not even close!

I really think the embarrassment BJ got from GSP propelled him to this victory. His normal strength and conditioning possibly would have led to a Ken-Flo victory. Not after the embarrassment. He seemed fine to me after Rounds 1, 2, and 3...and after the submission.

Well you gotta remember, in fighting GSP, BJ Penn was moving up to take on a bigger and stronger fighter in GSP. When BJ had to fight off GSP from taking him down, I am sure it exhausted him a lot more then when Ken-Flo tried the same thing.

It seemed apparent that Florian watched the GSP fight, saw how GSP just tired BJ Penn out for a round and a half making BJ defend the takedown, however it is different when you are not fighting at your natural weight.

From the UFC 101 story on SI.com:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/bryan_armen_graham/08/09/ufc.101.piece/index.html?eref=T1

This type of go-hard-or-go-home fanaticism -- a trait common among Philadelphia sports fans and UFC devotees at large -- was common at promotional events throughout fight week. Perhaps the most impressive display came Friday, though, when 2,546 fans packed the north end of Wachovia Center for the weigh-ins, and UFC commissioner Dana White held court with the fans for 75 minutes.

Hundreds of MMA junkies -- many wearing those garish and ornate UFC, Tapout or Affliction shirts -- formed queues behind one of two microphones to ask questions and issue deep, heartfelt expressions of gratitude to the organization's frontman.

Wearing the jersey of Phillies' centerfielder Shane Victorino, the professed MMA fanatic who himself entered local sports folklore this past October, White gave a series of crowd-pleasing responses and made dreams come true. "Can we come down and get a picture with you?" Done. "Will you just shake my hand?" No sweat. "Sign my vanity license plates [Delaware tags UFCFAN and UFCFAN2]?" Absolutely. One well-dressed twentysomething in a suit asked White for a job ("I brought a resume!") and drew playful boos from the crowd, but White told an assistant to "go get that guy's resume." One guys asked a question about hard-to-find DVDs from the UFC's early days. "Where's Tom? Give him your information, I'll send you the entire DVD set." Another example:

POT-BELLIED THIRTYSOMETHING: "Whenever I watch the events I always notice there's always two ring girls and three chairs. Can I sit in that extra chair? For just one event? I drove from Cincinnati."

WHITE: "You're the most observant dude I've ever met in my life. Go get that guy's information."

Blessed with an infectious charisma, While is able to incite raucous applause and spontaneous bursts of anger from the congregation with each response, like a latter-day cross between P.T. Barnum and Richard Dawson's Killian from The Running Man.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/bryan_armen_graham/08/09/ufc.101.piece/index.html?eref=T1#ixzz0NjJ153Ny

Maybe its just me' date=' but every time Takeya Mizugaki fights, Frank Mir spends the entire 3 (or 5) rounds talking about how good the other fighter looks. Does mir have something against him?[/quote']

its not just you. you would think Mizugaki violated a member of Mir's family or something

I just remember the exact same crap from him when mizugaki fought torres. It was like he did absolutely nothing. He was landing quite a few bombs (even opened his face), and mir didnt say a word. Just talked about how good torres is. Not that torres should have lost that fight, but the commentating was horrendous.

That was like watching brown fight faber. Bigger man = win these days.

Maybe their first fight, but the second Faber v. Brown looked like Faber really could have taken the win if not for breaking his right hand in the first round and dislocating his left thumb in the second.

What a weekend.

I'm not sure what is more unbelievable to me, Kenny trying to get the fight to the ground the whole time, or BJ not letting it hit the ground until the 4th. As soon as Kenny starting shooting BJ should have welcomed the ground, and even initiated the takedown himself. As soon as the fight hit the floor Kenny got choked out just like I called it. Hopefully BJ learns from this and starts controlling where the fight is more instead of just fighting wherever his opponent wants to.

Anderson is sick. New p4p champ, imo. I have the same rankings as SU: Anderson, Fedor, GSP. I am less interested in Silva-Hendo. He only has 3 fights left and then supposedly he is done with MMA at least for a while. I don't see room for rematches. Hendo had his chance he got choked out in the second round.

Fedor doesn't walk around that much heavier than Silva. That is my new dream fight.

Torres.... Another guy willing to fight wherever the fight is isntead of putting the fight where he is strongest. Torres should use his JJ more. Bowles threw a pefect shot and made sure he finished.

What is next for Forrest? I bet he doesn't fall too far. He'll be rewarded for taking the Silva fight. I bet he gets the loser of Rashad-Evans, or Tito.

Why are you guys responding to McTroll?