Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Looks like rumors of Dana banning people do the EA MMA game might be true.

Interesting stuff here.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15490/ufc-president-dana-white-says-ea-sports-responsible-for-current-mma-video-game-war.mma

UFC president Dana White says EA Sports responsible for current MMA video game war

by John Morgan on Jul 12, 2009 at 3:00 pm ET

UFC president Dana White has a simple message for fighters dreaming of competing in the world-famous octagon: Don't do business with EA Sports.

In an edict that started as a rumor on internet message boards, White stated after Saturday's historic UFC 100 event that he was "at war" with the popular video-game developers and that those that side with EA Sports will find themselves out of the UFC's good graces.

But perhaps surprising to some, White insists it was EA Sports that fired the first salvo in the still-developing controversy.

"It's easy to sit on the other side of the table and judge me on how I react to stuff like this," White said. "But let me tell you what – I've been in the trenches for almost 10 years, and I've been dealing with all these businesses, and EA was one of them."

EA Sports holds the publishing rights for several of the market's most successful sports-related video games, including the Madden NFL, FIFA, NASCAR and Tiger Woods PGA series. White said the UFC had hoped to join the ranks of those titles, but the California-based EA Sports declined to discuss the possibility.

"EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport,'" White said. "'We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this.'"

With EA Sports passing on the rights to the UFC's video game license, rival software company THQ elected to partner with mixed martial arts' biggest promotion. The company's first effort, "UFC Undisputed 2009," has shipped approximately 2 million units since its May release according to White, and the fiery exec is upset that EA Sports is now changing their tune with the recent announcement of a forthcoming "EA Sports MMA" title.

"We put our asses on the line, THQ and the UFC, to make a video-game deal in the worst economy in the world," White said. "We go out there and do this thing, and it's successful, and now [expletive] EA Sports wants to do a video game. Really? That's not what you told us a year-and-a-half ago.

"You told us you'd never be in business with us. They wouldn't even take a meeting because mixed martial arts disgusted them. This wasn't a real sport. Boy, they got over that real quick, didn't they?"

White views EA Sports' tactics with obvious disapproval, and he's made it clear that any fighter who signs over their likeness to the new project will be blacklisted from the UFC.

"I'm not tap-dancing around this thing or whatever," White said. "I'm telling you straight-up, I'm at war with them right now. That's how I look at it."

While former UFC champion and currently contracted UFC fighter Randy Couture is expected to appear in the EA Sports offering – a matter White says the company worked through with "The Natural" during a recent court appearance – the UFC president said not to expect that trend to continue.

"You won't be in the UFC," White said about additional fighters who sign with EA Sports.

Despite reports that Nick Diaz, Mohammed "King Mo" Lawal, Jason "Mayhem" Miller and Jake Shields – all potential targets to fight for the UFC in the future – have agreed to appear in the EA Sports title, White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he's not sure who the software company has secured for the upcoming MMA game.

But White remains firm in his decision, and he believes he's doing it for the right reasons.

"You know what the difference is?" White asked. "I'm in the mixed martial arts business. EA isn't.

"EA doesn't give a [expletive] about mixed martial arts. They made that very clear."

John Morgan is the lead staff reporter for MMAjunkie.com.

Brock said he is athlete and has been an athlete since he was 5. All he cares about is winning. He will not lose his focus. He doesn't care about money.

Money trumps all. Brock's no saint. He knew he couldn't care about money before now. Now? He's got the belt and some leverage. I'm not saying he hasn't earned it, Bowsk. I'm saying he's human. :)

You just like his attire. :D

True dat :D

BROCK will be the same way if he isn't careful. He may feel like his size will get him by, and he wont have to train or take opponents seriously. He will get caught sometime soon by a good fighter who isn't afraid. Brock's chin has never been tested. For all we know he can't take a shot, and once that's shown, everybody will know his weakness....

EVERYONE is the same way. Surround yourself with bad people, you'll lose your way. Fortunately, Brock has surrounded himself with some of the best trainers out there and has a great support network.

pay is a funny thing in MMA. GSP brings in a ton more fans than Alves ever could, so he gets paid more
Eh, makes sense. Just seems unfair (though I guess boxing's the same way).

One thing that boxing needs to take from MMA: no 17 weight classes, no 4 governing bodies.

satufceleven.jpg

This is why I don't like Lesnar. His point was made (in spades) but he can't resist the opportunity to squat and pee on his beaten opponent. I know you say he's clowning, Keeastman but I don't see the clown. I see the man desperate for attention who's not willing to acknowledge a loss but is so quick to do things like this when he wins. He's a whiny puke who showed zero class on what should have been his crowning achievement. I'm in for a long line of disappointing nights because I'll be rooting against Brock for his whole career. There's no "entertainer" there, guys. It's all ego and self-entitlement. He admits to being a sore loser but let's face it- he's a pretty sh***y winner.

i would hate to see what Mir's face looked like the next morning

Si has a pretty cool pic show of UFC 100:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0907/sat.ufc.100/content.1.html

*Edit: Pic 11 is brutal

Danzig and Kendall Grove are in race to be the first Ultimate Fighter winner to be cut from the UFC

Edited by StillUnknown

They need to think about if Brock is good for the sport if he keeps disrespecting his opponents, and flipping off the crowd.

Dana White has already warned him..He has also said that it's not the WWE, he doesn't like the concept of his fighters playing a good guy vs bad guy role, or doing things to get heat from the crowd...he said to leave that in the WWE.

I will root against Brock for his whole career, until he can be a better sport. He represents our sport, and now he's putting it in a negative light. So he can knock people out, so what. I hope Brock learns from this and becomes a better people person...

They need to think about if Brock is good for the sport if he keeps disrespecting his opponents, and flipping off the crowd.

Dana White has already warned him..He has also said that it's not the WWE, he doesn't like the concept of his fighters playing a good guy vs bad guy role, or doing things to get heat from the crowd...he said to leave that in the WWE.

I will root against Brock for his whole career, until he can be a better sport. He represents our sport, and now he's putting it in a negative light. So he can knock people out, so what. I hope Brock learns from this and becomes a better people person...

I doubt Dana will ever axe Brock. Good sport or bad, he's a lightning rod and that = money. Half the people will pay to see him win and half will pay to see him lose. Despite my feelings about him, I can't deny that he's a money maker. I just hope to be paying for his losses. :)

This is why I don't like Lesnar. His point was made (in spades) but he can't resist the opportunity to squat and pee on his beaten opponent. I know you say he's clowning, Keeastman but I don't see the clown. I see the man desperate for attention who's not willing to acknowledge a loss but is so quick to do things like this when he wins. He's a whiny puke who showed zero class on what should have been his crowning achievement. I'm in for a long line of disappointing nights because I'll be rooting against Brock for his whole career. There's no "entertainer" there, guys. It's all ego and self-entitlement. He admits to being a sore loser but let's face it- he's a pretty sh***y winner.

But Mir was talking so much **** before this fight- I know if someone spent a year telling the world how I sucked and how he was the best, I would rub it in his face after I kicked the crap out of him, too.

i'm sure Dana is not losing sleep over what Lesnar did. hell if anything he was probably only pissed about what he said about the sponsor

Lesnar has entered a territory where people will buy ppv's just to see him lose, Dana knows that, lesnar knows that.

the biggest events in boxing (or any other combat sport) history have always had a fighter the crowd loved and one they desperately wanted to see get beat

lesnar was over the top, but i don't think it hurts the sport as much as some seem to think it will

But Mir was talking so much **** before this fight- I know if someone spent a year telling the world how I sucked and how he was the best, I would rub it in his face after I kicked the crap out of him, too.

MissU- Show me where Mir said Lesnar sucked. It never happened. Mir beat Lesnar. He had the right to be ****y and he still never dissed Brock's potential and abilities. Frank also stated many times that he had to be careful or he'd get pounded, showing that he understood what he was up against. Lesnar never would give Mir is due. All he did was blame the ref for a year. The ref didn't hand over that submission, Lesnar did. Re-watch the fight. Here were brock's first three steps as UFC Champ...

1. Stick his finger in the face of his beaten and bloodied opponent. (Nobody wanted to forgive BJ Penn for licking blood off his gloves, but Lesnar gets a pass at 4-1?)

2. Flip the bird to the audience that booed him for gloating over an opponent who was just picked up off the canvas. (You're 1-1 against the guy, Brock. get some perspective.)

3. Diss the sponsors that the UFC is in business with because they didn't give him any money. (What was that you were saying about Brock not caring about money, Sebowski?) Total loser move #3.

Every time Lesnar fights he disses his opponent afterward. He even refused to show any respect for Couture, who helped build the house Brock is pissing in. You guys can jump on the "Goliath" bandwagon. I'll be pulling for every "David" that comes along from here. ;)

Every time Lesnar fights he disses his opponent afterward. He even refused to show any respect for Couture, who helped build the house Brock is pissing in. You guys can jump on the "Goliath" bandwagon. I'll be pulling for every "David" that comes along from here. ;)

he showed randy respect after he won that fight.

lol

oddly enough, i just pulled up that fight from my collection......he literally said in his post fight interview "i have the utmost respect for Randy"

:D

I remembered it wrong then. I still don't think it erases what he's done in every other post-fight though. Heck, after saturday night he's back to square one with me. He's a big baby who can't take losing and can't handle winning like a man.

Where's Seth Petrucelli when we need him? :hysterical:

MissU- Show me where Mir said Lesnar sucked. It never happened. Mir beat Lesnar. He had the right to be ****y and he still never dissed Brock's potential and abilities. Frank also stated many times that he had to be careful or he'd get pounded, showing that he understood what he was up against. Lesnar never would give Mir is due. All he did was blame the ref for a year. The ref didn't hand over that submission, Lesnar did. Re-watch the fight. Here were brock's first three steps as UFC Champ...

http://www.cagepotato.com/mir-lesnar-i-probably-wouldnt-me-either-if-i-made-myself-tap-out-ninety-seconds

Doesn't say that he "sucks", persay, but says that Lesnar's 90-second tapout was a sign of "inadequacy", which is an eloquent way to say that Lesnar sucks. He's a good talker.

And, honestly, with a haircut, Mir is kinda hot. He looks hot with a hat on.:silly:

http://www.cagepotato.com/mir-lesnar-i-probably-wouldnt-me-either-if-i-made-myself-tap-out-ninety-seconds

Doesn't say that he "sucks", persay, but says that Lesnar's 90-second tapout was a sign of "inadequacy", which is an eloquent way to say that Lesnar sucks. He's a good talker.

And, honestly, with a haircut, Mir is kinda hot. He looks hot with a hat on.:silly:

:)

My dear, you picked a rotten example to use. I almost want to say you didn't watch the entire interview. The "90 second" comment was perfectly justified and it was said right after the iinterviewer told Frank that Brock had said a lot of negative things about him. Frank gave Brock a lot of space and showed more humilty to the sport and more fairness to Lesnar in that interview than brock will ever have in his whole life.

:whoknows:

Decent article. I don't see Overeem or Lashley beating Brock though. Maybe Lashley once he sharpens his game. Overeem always could get the KO but you never know which version of him will show up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Is-Brock-beatable-Four-who-have-a-shot?urn=mma,176151

Is Brock beatable? Four who have a shot

By Maggie Hendricks

After Saturday's dismantling of Frank Mir at UFC 100, Brock Lesnar seems pretty comfortable at the top of the UFC heavyweight division. Though his career in the UFC has been short, he has beaten two champions, Randy Couture and Mir, in a convincing manner. His size and strength will be a tough obstacle to overcome, but not impossible. Who can do it?

Fedor Emelianenko: If there is anyone who can take out Lesnar, it's the Russian fighter Emelianenko (pictured). He is at the top of the Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound rankings for good reason. With a 30-1 record, he has beaten fighters of every size, including the 7'2" Hong Man Choi and 6'8" former UFC champion Tim Sylvia. In January, he knocked out another former UFC champion, Andrei Arlovski, in the first round. In fact, he hasn't had a fight get past the first round since a win over Mark Coleman in 2006, which lasted until the second round.

Emelianenko's biggest obstacle in beating Lesnar isn't in the cage, it's actually getting him in the cage. He is signed with rival promotion Affliction for a fight with Josh Barnett in August. Fans have wanted Fedor in the UFC for years, but contract negotiations have gone nowhere between the groups. After the fights on Saturday, Dana White said that Emelianenko will be in the UFC.

"This Fedor thing has gone on and on and on," White said in the post-UFC 100 press conference. "Eventually, Fedor's going to be here. I want Fedor. I want him to come to the UFC and everything else.

"This guy (Brock Lesnar) just won the heavyweight title, and we'll end up getting that deal done. And then we'll do Brock vs. Fedor, and it'll be a huge fight."

Assuming that the deal gets made, Emelianenko has the best shot of beating Brock Lesnar.

Shane Carwin: How can you mitigate Lesnar's size advantage? By putting him up against someone that's equally as large. That's Carwin -- all 6'3", 262 lbs. of him. His hands are so big that the 4X gloves he wears to fight need to be cut and taped to fit his hands. He can take punishment and still win, as he had a broken nose when he knocked out Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 96. Carwin is also motivated to beat Lesnar, who Carwin thought was incredibly disrespectful after his win on Saturday.

The fans are why we do this, Brock, this sport is not about fat paychecks and drama. It is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did last night. It doesn't matter how much money you make if you can't earn your peers' respect and the respect and love of the greatest sporting fans in the world. Every autograph I give, every hand I shake I am thankful that you give me the opportunity to be a part of your world. This is the greatest sport int he world and most of the athletes in it deserve the love and respect they get and some just dont get it. From leaving the venue all the way to the Airport I have had fans of the sport ask me to take out Brock Lesnar for them.

The biggest knock against Carwin is that he is untested, but he is 11-0. He has much more experience than Lesnar. Carwin is slated to face Cain Velasquez, another exciting up-and-coming heavyweight, at UFC 104 in October. If he makes it through that fight, it wouldn't be surprising to see a matchup between Lesnar and Carwin.

Alistair Overeem: If someone of a similar size won't vex Brock, speed will. A fighter who is a champion kickboxer, can cut angles and move quickly? That might the perfect foil to Brock's wrestling and power. That fighter exists in Dutch kickboxer Alistair Overeem.

Overeem faces two problems in overcoming Lesnar. One, he is the Strikeforce heavyweight champion, is fighting for them on August 15, and contractually obligated to Strikeforce. Two, he needs to stay on his feet to be able to use high kicks, but as Lesnar showed on Saturday, his takedown is quite effective.

Bobby Lashley: Like Lesnar, Lashley is a fellow WWE veteran and collegiate wrestler. Unlike Lesnar, Lashley is taking the long and winding road to the UFC. He also has four wins, but his competition hasn't been nearly as difficult as Lesnar's. Lashley's biggest advantage is that he and Lesnar are the same size, and both have a strong wrestling background. With those two factors equal, the fight has the potential of being an all-out slugfest.

The problem with this fight is that Lashley doesn't want to fight in the UFC until he is ready to be a champion.

"When I go over there I want to be a top, top level guy," Lashley said. "I want talks of me fighting the champ when I get over there. I want them to say this guy's really good."

Lashley still has a while to go and much to learn before he can walk in and get a title shot. He will need to get a few more fights under his belt before we can see if he is truly ready for the champ.

Also, Yahoo! has P4P Rankings up....didn't know they had rankings, gives Sherdog a reason to get better at it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dd-mmarankings061109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Rankings: Change on the way?

By Dave Doyle, Yahoo! Sports Jun 11, 10:41 pm EDT

Printable View

Return to Original

Yahoo! Sports

Editor’s note 7/12: Rankings will be updated this week.

For the fifth straight month, Fedor Emelianenko finds himself tied atop the Yahoo! Sports rankings. For the second straight month, that tie is with UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Yes, we’re as sick of the logjam as you are. But the good news is it should not last much longer. St. Pierre returns to action on July 11 at UFC 100, when he defends his title against Thiago Alves. And that match kicks off a four-week span in which five of this month’s top six compete.

Emelianenko, for his part, rides a 10-match winning streak into his Aug. 1 Affliction fight with Josh Barnett. The 31-year-old Barnett, as a former UFC and Pancrase champion, undoubtedly has impeccable credentials. But he’s feasted on cupcakes over the past two years, taking on the likes of Pawel Nastula and Pedro Rizzo, with Glass Joe and the Brooklyn Brawler presumably unavailable. So the match represents something of a “put up or shut up” moment for the Seattle native.

The encore to Fedor-Barnett comes the following weekend with three big matches on tap: No. 3 Anderson Silva meets Forrest Griffin at light heavyweight and No. 6 B.J. Penn defends his UFC lightweight title against Kenny Florian, both on August 8; then the following evening, No. 5 Miguel Torres defends his WEC bantamweight crown against Brian Bowles.

But we didn’t have to wait for the summer blockbusters to see some movement in the rankings. Lyoto Machida turned heads at UFC 98 by tearing apart Rashad Evans in two rounds. He moved from No. 7 in the poll to the fourth spot. Evans dropped from fifth to ninth after his first professional loss. Mike Brown’s win over Urijah Faber in a match of the year candidate on June 7 also had implications, as Brown, the WEC featherweight champ, moved up from No. 9 to 7, and Faber, who was in 10th place, fell into a 10th-place tie with Thiago Alves.

Ballots from the 17-member panel of legitimate mixed martial arts media from major sports websites, newspapers, news services and MMA websites are tabulated with 10 points for each first-place vote, nine points for each second, etc., down to one point for a 10th-place vote. Fighters suspended for drug or steroid violations are ineligible for consideration during the duration of their suspension, and fighters who go more than 12 months without competing are ineligible until after their next fight.

For the complete list of the poll’s voters, along with links to their sites, click here.

10 (tie). Thiago Alves

Affiliation: UFC

Weight class: Welterweight

Hometown: Fortaleza, Brazil

Record: 16-3 (won last seven)

Last month’s ranking: unranked

Most recent result: def. Josh Koscheck, unanimous decision, Oct. 20

Analysis: Alves has flirted with top-10 status since his win over Koscheck last fall. His opportunity to prove he belongs is upcoming.

10 (tie). Urijah Faber

Affiliation: WEC

Weight class: Featherweight

Hometown: Sacramento, Calif.

Record: 22-3 (lost last one)

Last month’s ranking: 10

Most recent result: lost to Mike Brown, unanimous decision, June 5

Analysis: Voters aren’t ready to abandon the world’s second-best featherweight, especially given his valiant performance in going the distance against Brown after breaking his right hand early.

9. Rashad Evans

Weight class: Light heavyweight (UFC light heavyweight champion)

Hometown: Lansing, Mich.

Record: 13-1-1 (lost past one)

Last month’s ranking: 5

Most recent result: lost to Lyoto Machida, R2 TKO, May 23.

Analysis: No one has figured out how to beat Machida. And no one besides Machida has figured out how to beat Evans.

8. Quinton Jackson

Weight class: Light heavyweight

Hometown: Memphis, Tenn.

Record: 30-7 (won last two)

Last month’s ranking: 8

Most recent result: def. Keith Jardine, unanimous decision, March 7

Analysis: Expect “Rampage” to kick around these parts of the rankings for quite some time, as “The Ultimate Fighter 10” will keep him on the sidelines.

7. Mike Brown

Weight class: Featherweight (WEC featherweight champion)

Hometown: Portland, Maine

Record: 22-4 (won last 10)

Last month’s ranking: 9

Most recent result: def. Urijah Faber, unanimous decision, June 7

Analysis: Left no doubt about his worth by taking four rounds out of five from Faber in hostile territory.

6. B.J. Penn

Weight class: Lightweight (UFC lightweight champion)

Hometown: Hilo, Hawaii

Record: 13-5-1 (lost past one)

Last month’s ranking: 6

Most recent result: lost to Georges St. Pierre, doctor stoppage after R4, Jan. 31

Analysis: Not much left to be said as he gets set to meet Kenny Florian in August.

5. Miguel Angel Torres

Weight class: Bantamweight (WEC bantamweight champion)

Hometown: East Chicago, Ind.

Record: 36-1 (won past 17)

Last month’s ranking: 4

Most recent result: def. Takeya Mizugaki, unanimous decision, April 5

Analysis: Has a pattern of running over American opponents, followed by barnburners against Japanese foes. Will this repeat when he meets the unbeaten Bowles?

4. Lyoto Machida

Weight class: Light heavyweight

Hometown: Belem, Brazil

Record: 15-0

Last month’s ranking: 7

Most recent result: def. Rashad Evans, R2 TKO, May 23

Analysis: Not only is Machida unbeaten, but he hasn’t dropped a single round in his UFC tenure. “The Dragon” may actually be underrated at this point.

3. Anderson Silva

Weight class: Middleweight (UFC middleweight champion)

Hometown: Curitiba, Brazil

Record: 23-4 (won past nine)

Last month’s ranking: 3 (tie)

Most recent result: def. Thales Leites, unanimous decision, April 18

Analysis: No matter how much Dana White pushes Silva as the world’s best, Silva will need to come through against Forrest Griffin in order to remain in the conversation.

1 (tie). Georges St. Pierre

Weight class: Welterweight (UFC welterweight champion)

Hometown: Saint-Isidore, Quebec

Record: 18-2 (won past five)

Last month’s ranking: 1 (tie)

Most recent result: def. B.J. Penn, doctor stoppage after R4, Jan. 31

Analysis: Ready to face his toughest challenge since winning the welterweight title.

1 (tie). Fedor Emelianenko

Affiliation: Affliction/M-1 (WAMMA champion; never lost PRIDE title)

Weight class: Heavyweight

Hometown: Stary Oskol, Russia

Record: 30-1, one no-contest (won past 10)

Last month’s ranking: 1 (tie)

Most recent result: def. Andrei Arlovski, R1 KO, Jan. 24

Analysis: We don’t know if Barnett is the fighter he used to be. But have no doubt Emelianenko will be training for the man who won UFC and Pancrase titles.

Edited by #98QBKiller