Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Boxing>MMA

MMA has too much grappling :yawnee:

There is no problem with liking boxing more than MMA.

Please explain it to me (no, really, I'm curious).

Explaining grappling would take forever. It's intricacies are virtually endless. It's a science, like boxing is. These days, elite grapplers are so loaded with knowledge that you can see every little movement they do is calculated.

As with any sport, the more you learn the more you appreciate it.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

And I'm not clear on your comment ACW, are you saying you don't like grappling period or that you don't like the grappling that stalls on the ground?
Mainly the ground. I like striking better.

:2cents:

IMO, one reason people like the UFC better is because you're much more likely to see a one punch KO as opposed to boxing where the guys are much more skilled in seeing punches. Another reason is because almost anybody can lose to just about anybody.

Edited by THE OUTSIDER

Doesn't the UFC hold a PPV every month?

Don't take this the wrong way, because it is not a shot at you or boxing. But boxing used to have a lot more PPV fights when there were more marketable fighters. There were a good amount of months a few years ago when Showtime and HBO were both holding PPV fights every month.

Yes, the UFC has one every month, but if boxing could you can be sure that they would.

HBO alone had 10 boxing PPVs in 2006, but I don't know if they will have half of that this year.

Don't take this the wrong way, because it is not a shot at you or boxing. But boxing used to have a lot more PPV fights when there were more marketable fighters.
Or the economy was better? IMO, fewer fights on PPV and more on HBO and SHO=win for the fans :yes:

IMO, one reason people like the UFC better is because you're much more likely to see a one punch KO as opposed to boxing where the guys are much more skilled in seeing punches. Another reason is because almost anybody can lose to just about anybody.

I get the feeling you still view MMA as bar room brawling. Let's just say it has literally come full-circle since it's inception. Boxing isn't the only martial art in the world. It's just the only one most Americans accept.

If a boxer were to pursue a career in MMA, he wouldn't be able to practice punching-only nearly as much as before. Not every fight is going to end from a punch. Not every fighter is dumb enough to exchange punches with a decorated boxer. If there is one thing that is becoming noticeable in MMA, it's that you have to be well-rounded to win titles.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

The reason(s) that you see more one-punch KOs in MMA isn't that anyone is less skilled in seeing punches coming. You have a lot more attacks to watch for in an MMA bout. You can't stand in a traditional boxing defense or you'll get your leg kicked in half, you'll get taken to the mat or someone will plant their shin in your temple. Another reason is that MMA fighters wear 4 oz gloves, boxers wear 12 oz gloves.

The reason(s) that you see more one-punch KOs in MMA isn't that anyone is less skilled in seeing punches coming. You have a lot more attacks to watch for in an MMA bout. You can't stand in a traditional boxing defense or you'll get your leg kicked in half, you'll get taken to the mat or someone will plant their shin in your temple. Another reason is that MMA fighters wear 4 oz gloves, boxers wear 12 oz gloves.

Agreed. And this should be common sense. But ignorance is bliss.

With all due respect, Outsider- The more you say, the less I think you know about either sport.

Randy vs. Big Nog at 102.

UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira

Saturday, Aug. 29

Rose Garden Arena

Portland, Ore.

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia

Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva

James Irvin vs. Wilson Gouveia

Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer

Todd Duffee vs. Michael Russow

Matt Veach vs. Evan Dunham

102 looks like a solid card. i only hope Nog & Randy can temporarily find the fountain of youth

you've suffered enough Double, you can change your sig whenever you want lol

Boxing>MMA

MMA has too much grappling :yawnee:

grappling is literally human chess. i'll be the first to admit, some guys just take you down and do nothing (we call this lay 'n pray). fortunately that doesn't happen as much as it used to.

grappling is an acquired taste to most people, but if once you start to learn about the intricacies of it, you like it more.

it takes a semi-trained or at least semi-experienced eye to pick up on the some of the nuances of whats going on. basically the more you watch it, the more you understand it

Edited by StillUnknown

Dude this gif rules. This momma's stayin, although I'm on my way to casually erase the text...

We both got 2 right and 2 wrong in our last sig bet. Rock, paper, scissors?

that happened in a Judo competition

i saw it on a video i downloaded, 101 Ippons from 2002-2005. that dude was actually out for awhile.

i prefer a western style quick draw showdown to rock, paper, scissors :evilg:

Randy vs. Big Nog at 102.

UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira

Saturday, Aug. 29

Rose Garden Arena

Portland, Ore.

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia

Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva

James Irvin vs. Wilson Gouveia

Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer

Todd Duffee vs. Michael Russow

Matt Veach vs. Evan Dunham

I can't wait for the Marquardt-Maia fight. Two of my favorites.

I like striking better too but grappling is exciting if you watch the right fighters.

Exactly, two solid grapplers can put on a hell of a show.

I prefer MMA to Boxing because of the variety it provides. It's not just stand up like Boxing, but you'll have a guy stand up then go for a takedown and beat the ever living crap out of the other guy using ground and pound. Though I do prefer submissions to TKOs.

The phrase "pick on someone your own size" has never been truer -- as Shaquille O'Neal (7'1" 330 pounds) just challenged massive MMA fighter Hong Man Choi (7'2" 330 pounds) to a no-holds-barred fist fight.

wow...i didnt know shaq actually trained.

The phrase "pick on someone your own size" has never been truer -- as Shaquille O'Neal (7'1" 330 pounds) just challenged massive MMA fighter Hong Man Choi (7'2" 330 pounds) to a no-holds-barred fist fight.

Haha, I didn't either. But I'll say that he has a good chance to get his ass kicked by Hong Man Choi here if he doesn't know what he's doing.

i still remember Barkley taking O'Neal down and landing a couple shot on the ground

something tells me O'Neal's bark is bit bigger than his bite