Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Predictions?

I'm really too much of a wuss to make predictions in MMA, haha. But maybe for this one, I'll go out on a limb.

I'll go with:

* Main card *

Rich over Wandi

Valasquez over Kongo

Cro-Cop over Al-Turk

Who the hell knows between Swick and Saunders, seriously...I really hope it's just a good fight.

Fisher over Uno

Davis over Hardy

And of course I'm going for Ricky on the undercard. I see that he weighed in with no problem and he seems prepared and confident from when we talked to him this past weekend, so... :fingersx:

And of course I'm going for Ricky on the undercard. I see that he weighed in with no problem and he seems prepared and confident from when we talked to him this past weekend, so... :fingersx:

Rick "The Horror" Story? Awesome nickname. :)

Well it seems everyone so far thinks Davis will beat Hardy, which almost surely means Hardy will beat Davis. Same for Cro Cop. We've unanimously picked Mirko, which spells trouble for the Croatian. :)

Yeah, well, Ricky didn't like our other nickname suggestions, which probably aren't appropriate to post in this forum, lol, so this was the next best bet...

Well it seems everyone so far thinks Davis will beat Hardy, which almost surely means Hardy will beat Davis. Same for Cro Cop. We've unanimously picked Mirko, which spells trouble for the Croatian. :)

Yeah, they're pretty much screwed

But since you acknowledged it, our predictions will come true. :D

that is a pretty good nickname, original.

my picks

Mustapha Al-Turk vs. CroCop: Al-Turk has a decent ground game, but he shouldn't have the tools to takedown CroCop. If CroCop has anything left, he should have no trouble with Al-Turk. as an old fan, i'm hoping we see a vintage CroCop performance for the next few fights

Crocop by TKO, 1st Round

Caol Uno vs. Spencer Fisher: Uno has a decent wrestling game, never been impressed by Fishers takedown D. he's good at scrambling back to his feet, but i think Uno will get a enough takedowns to secure a decision

Uno by Unanimous Decision

Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy: Davis is another guy i root against with no logical reason to do so. haven't been that impressed with what i've seen from Hardy the couple of fights i've watched from him. i'm going to say Father Time will slow down Davis enough for Hardy to squeak by with a win

Hardy by Split Decision

Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick: Saunders is a huge WW, probably only GSP, Alves, & Anthony Johnson are bigger. he should be smart this fight and use his reach to his advantage. he might want to avoid the clinch as it will bring him into Swick's striking range will be a danger to him. Saunders has looked great against cans, Swick's a significant step up in comp. i'm thinking Saunders will be smart and control this fight at a distance

Saunders by Unanimous Decision

Cheick Kongo vs. Cain Velasquez: cain has good striking, Kongo has great striking. kongo has subpar wrestling, cain has great wrestling. cain can make this a very easy fight by taking Kongo down at will. somethin tells me he'll try to strike until he's tagged. at that point, he'll remember he's a damn good wrestler

Velasquez by TKO, 2nd Round

Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva: Franklin is 0-3 against Brazilians, Wandy has looked incredibly beatable his last few fights. Franklin is allergic to the clinch, but Wand only really uses the clinch, after he's overwhelmed his opponent with strikes. i'm guessing Rich is technical enough to pick off Wand's style and finish him in the 2nd

Franklin by TKO, 2nd Round

Yeah, well, Ricky didn't like our other nickname suggestions, which probably aren't appropriate to post in this forum, lol, so this was the next best bet...

here's a story on your friend: http://mmajunkie.com/news/15179/ufc-99s-rick-horror-story-began-mma-career-as-a-villain.mma

With a nickname like "Horror," it's no wonder Rick Story has spent most of his MMA career as the bad guy.

He may be an unknown to the world at large, but the former NAIA All-American wrestler was an instant villain in Portland, Ore. And he has reveled in his role as the black hat.

"They boo me, but I think it's good," the fighter told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It means they know who I am."

Story (5-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will make his octagon debut Saturday against John Hathaway (10-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany. Both fighters are on a roll. Story's recent wins came against the likes of "The Ultimate Fighter 5" cast member Brandon Melendez, WEC veteran Pat Healy and IFL veteran Jake Ellenberger. Hathaway stopped Thomas Egan at UFC 93 and has beaten seven opponents in the first round.

"I would put Ricky against any welterweight out there," Braveheart gym owner Pat White said. "I'm a promoter too, and I see a lot of managers trying to pick fights that their guy can win or is a good fight. I ask what the pay is, and we make the call on that."

Story came to Braveheart in the midst of a rare gym-to-gym rivalry and immediately found himself disliked at local events. The reason? Portland belonged to Team Quest. With fighters such as Matt Lindland, Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, Chris Leben, Nate Quarry, Ed Herman, etc. plus its own IFL squad, it's easy to see why. But Braveheart, a new gym located a few miles to the east, had begun to pluck choice fighters from its competitor, and soon the gyms were battling for bragging rights.

"The Team Quest thing has been good and bad," White said. "It's a great compliment to even be compared to one of the top gyms in the world. Of course they are saying they are better than us, and we think we're the best. But just by defending ourselves, people look as us as being ****y and arrogant."

The rivalry was in its fledgling stages – fueled by an Internet war of words between Team Quest's Mike Dolce and Braveheart's Mike Pierce (who is rumored to be on the 10th season of TUF) – when Story moved to Portland from Ashland in 2007.

"I didn't really know what was going on with MMA in Portland," Story said. "I was curious about MMA and had no idea there was a rivalry going on."

Story learned quickly. Pierce and Dolce were set to fight each other at SportFight 20 in October 2007. At a tense weigh-in, a partisan Team Quest crowd made sure to let the four-man Braveheart crew know its displeasure.

"I could see how (angry) they were in the way they looked at Mike when he walked by," Story said. "It was stupid and childish, but it makes for good tickets I guess."

Pierce won. The war of words intensified, and suddenly Story represented The Axis of Evil to local MMA fans. He was jeered incessantly during wins over Healy and Ellenberger, both Team Quest fighters.

"The fans look at me as a traitor for some reason," Story said. "I went where I needed to go. Pat has put a lot into me and Mike. He's trying to get his business going."

In the spring of 2008, White spent $7,000 to take Pierce and Story to Las Vegas hoping to get a bite from Zuffa. They hit local gyms looking to roll but were cast with the bozos showing up and pretending to be fighters. Those bozos didn't stand a chance.

"Me and Ricky cleaned house," Pierce said. "So they invited us back to train with the pros."

Soon, they were at Xtreme Couture and grappling with the likes of Forrest Griffin. The risky move paid off and put both fighters on Zuffa's radar.

"I made an investment in my guys," White said. "Ricky has a lot of potential. In his second fight, I put him in against a guy named Juan Paulino who was [12-2]. People thought I was crazy. But Ricky won."

Now Story faces his toughest test on MMA's biggest stage.

"I love to fight, and I'm not going to stop if I lose," Story said. "Everybody loses. Losing just motivates me more."

Oh, thanks. I haven't really read a lot of anything about him or any of the blogs or fan forum posts because it's just weird to me to see strangers writing about him.

But as far as the whole gym rivalry thing, well, the Portland Team Quest fans are idiots as far as I'm concerned. They pretty much hate Ricky up there, like bitterly hate him, just because he signed with Braveheart...then proceeded to beat a few of their precious fighters. Can they get any more ridiculous?

But, lol at him being cast as a "villain." He's probably one of the nicest guys around, so the fact that they think he is some evil guy just because he really doesn't give a **** about their fans and isn't intimidated by the mean-muggin Quest fighters is pretty hysterical.

Edited by Special K

dana white may be a douchebag but he knows who has potential. and he gave your boy a good little review right there.

i think ricky should be happy he is hated so much right now. like he said it means they know who he is. a lot of WWE guys were "heels" for most of their career but in real life were the nicest guys. Tiny Lister is another guy like that...but its money in his pocket and his name is spreading.

ill be pulling for him...if they show it. i hate that they wont show lower guys fighting even if it is 435325 times more exciting then the hugfest of 2 bigger name fighters.

ill be pulling for him...if they show it. i hate that they wont show lower guys fighting even if it is 435325 times more exciting then the hugfest of 2 bigger name fighters.

Yeah, I doubt they'll show it unless the main card fights are quick and his fight is somehow really exciting.

I'm hoping to see UFC 99 predictions from Big Mike and 99...

:anon:

UFC 99 "Where's all the big time fights? What? UFC 100 is a month away? Sweeeeeeet!

Even though none of these fights are for a title or even a title shot, styles make fights, and Joe Silva did a great job matching these guys up for a good looking Germany debut. You know they want to please these new fans. So who wants to bet that they all look like AA-Werdum? Anywho, here are my picks.

I won't be watching the fights until around 10pm PT (no texts, Big Mike!)

Mustapha Al-Turk vs. CroCop:I have to keep the faith here. I need to see Cro Cop be Cro Cop again. It has been troubling to see him fight of late. I need to buy in to his "best shape of my life" BS. What gives me some pause though is not his other UFC fights which are the ones the excuse are being made about. It is the Overeem fight. Take those 568 low blows away and Overeem was still completely dominating him. Still take Lance Storm, err, Cro Cop.

Crocop by KO, 1st Round

Caol Uno vs. Spencer Fisher: I am a huge Ficher fan. Always comes to fight. Very creative strikes. I will be pulling for him. I think Uno is a notch above him though.

Uno by sub round 3

Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy: Nothing new to be said about this fight. We all know what is expected here. I'd put the wildcard on Davis going for atakedown and working his sub game. That would be the smart thing to do. But everyone is picking Davis, so.....

Hardy KO round 3

Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick: I really want to pick Saunders here. Really do. Swick has been missing something since losing at 185 and then cutting to 170. Saunders has a killer clinch. I'm not sure that Swick can handle it. We my be looking at a Silva-Franklin situation. Saunders previous opponents though make Bobby Lashley's look like Fedor. I just have to go with the more experienced guy here.

Swick by Swick-utine round 1

Cheick Kongo vs. Cain Velasquez:I've have no feel for this one. Part of me thinks Chieck has gotten as high as he can. He looks like the type of guy who will just always be right there, but never in THE elite. Cain on the other hand has a huge upside, but not much experience. I'll go the the up and comer.

Velasquez by decision

Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva: I still think Wanderlei has some big fights in him. He needs this one big time. [/b][/color]Silva by murder via the axe

here's the results for Keeastman's friend's fight (i'll hide the results in case they show it on the ppv)

John Hathaway vs. Ricky Story

Round 1

Most of the first minute is spent with both fighters in the clinch. Story gets a takedown. Hathaway gets a reversal as the fighters trade positions. At the midway point of the round, Story executes a mild slam. Hathaway gets to his feet and is taken back down. Hathaway locks on a kimura from the bottom and holds it until the bell rings. 10-9 Hathaway.

Round 2

Much of the second round is spent trading on the feet. Hathaway gets a takedown and punishes his opponent from the top position. From his back, Story goes for a guillotine, but he can’t secure the hold. Hathaway escapes, but gives up the top. Story closes the round strong with punches and elbows from the top. 10-9 Story.

Round 3

The fight goes immediately to the ground to start the final period. Story takes the top position after a scramble. Story works for a kimura from half guard. Story lets go to punch and elbow the head. Hathaway shows good defense and gets offensive as he goes high with his hips in search of a triangle. Story frees himself and then is forced to fight off an armbar. Hathaway, 10-9.

Hathaway is awarded the unanimous decision. Scores forthcoming.

here's the results for Keeastman's friend's fight (i'll hide the results in case they show it on the ppv)

Thanks. I was watching the updates on Sherdog. Figured they most likely wouldn't show it on PPV, and I couldn't stand the wait anyway.

My thoughts on the fight...

Sounds like it was heavy ground game fight which is normally good for Ricky. Sucks he lost, but Hathaway's good: no opponent has gotten out of the first round with Hathaway in over a year which is impressive, so I'm glad Ricky was able to take him all the way to the decision. I'm sure he learned a lot, it'll be interesting to get his take on things when he gets home.