Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Just listened to a Mir interview on MMA Live (great show btw on espn.com every week).

He sounds extremely confident. He said he will dominate on the feet if Brock wants to keep it there because Brock doesn't have the technique to stand with him. Then he said that he isn't going to pretend he can stop Brock's shot, so if Brock shoots the fight will end up on the ground and he'll get submitted again.

I rewatched Mir-Nog and I am not as impressed with Mir's striking as I was when I saw it live. He didn't really land that many good shots. Nog was more off than Mir was on imo. I think Mir has a lot of false confidence right now and Brock is going to pound him out.

Just listened to a Mir interview on MMA Live (great show btw on espn.com every week).

He sounds extremely confident. He said he will dominate on the feet if Brock wants to keep it there because Brock doesn't have the technique to stand with him. Then he said that he isn't going to pretend he can stop Brock's shot, so if Brock shoots the fight will end up on the ground and he'll get submitted again.

I rewatched Mir-Nog and I am not as impressed with Mir's striking as I was when I saw it live. He didn't really land that many good shots. Nog was more off than Mir was on imo. I think Mir has a lot of false confidence right now and Brock is going to pound him out.

brock has somethin Mir doesn't, 1-shot power. brock may not have technique, but if he lands, it could get ugly for Mir. brock showed decent techniques with the knees from the clinch against Randy. he has a long way to go with striking, but he's learning. don't sell brock short in that department, especially with his power

i would imagine that brock is workin sub-def religiously with Comprido. he doesn't have much of a neck to get choked out, and i think he'd be physically strong enough to power out of most armlock attempts. the only subs i see him being caught with are leg/knee/ankle locks

if the fight goes late in the rounds, i would think Mir gasses before Lesnar does.

i'm goin with Brock by TKO in the 2nd round.

on another note, UFC should be doing a better job promoting Rashad/Machida. this could be only time we see two top 5 undefeated fighters fighting for a title, especially since the LHW is so damn stacked. i know they've both had the boring label attached to them in the past, but they've both finished their last 2 fights in impressive fashion

Edited by StillUnknown

on another note, UFC should be doing a better job promoting Rashad/Machida. this could be only time we see two top 5 undefeated fighters fighting for a title, especially since the LHW is so damn stacked. i know they've both had the boring label attached to them in the past, but they've both finished their last 2 fights in impressive fashion

The more I think about this fight, the more I see a 5 round snoozer. Two counter-strikers. I expect the first round to go virtually without contact. The outcome will depend on who gets busy first, and that guy might be giving himself up by initiating.

I think Brock will take the rematch too, but I wouldn't rule out any kind of choke from Mir. Mir's pretty damn big himself so Brock's not going to have the size advantage he had over Randy.

I think we'll see something similar to the first fight where Brock gets Mir on the ground and pounds on him. But this time he won't hit the back of the head and hopefully Mazzagatti isn't the ref.

The more I think about this fight, the more I see a 5 round snoozer. Two counter-strikers. I expect the first round to go virtually without contact. The outcome will depend on who gets busy first, and that guy might be giving himself up by initiating.

I am the opposite. That's what I thought when the fight was first announced. I think that would have been the case if this fight happened 12-18 months ago, but they have both been opening up their games a little more.

I don't know, I immediatly thought it was going to be boring, but now I am looking forward to it.

The potential for a snoozer is there, but it could just as easily be a great fight IMO.

I am the opposite. That's what I thought when the fight was first announced. I think that would have been the case if this fight happened 12-18 months ago, but they have both been opening up their games a little more.

I don't know, I immediatly thought it was going to be boring, but now I am looking forward to it.

The potential for a snoozer is there, but it could just as easily be a great fight IMO.

Well there's not a doubt on Earth that I'll tune in but I'm not crazy about the styles of the fighters considering they are fighting each other. I think it'd be a better fight if they weren't vying for a belt. With so much at stake, I'm seeing 2 guys who won't want to lose instead of trying to pound out a win. I'll be a happy man if you're correct.

Edited by Chachie

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14699/rich-franklin-to-train-with-anderson-silva-during-ufc-99-prep-for-wandy.mma

As he prepares for his UFC 99 main-event fight with Wanderlei Silva, former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin will spend some time training with a former foe.

In fact, Franklin will work with the fighter who not only took his belt but also beat him in a rematch (in front of a hometown Cincinnati crowd) when he tried to get it back.

MMAjunkie.com's Dann Stupp discusses the Franklin-Anderson Silva alliance in this week's "MMA Insider" column in the Dayton Daily News.

Stupp learned of the duo's plans from sources close to Silva (Franklin's manager opted not to comment on the matter).

Franklin, who suffered a close split-decision loss to Dan Henderson in January, will now meet Wanderlei Silva in June during the UFC's first-ever trip to Germany. The bout will take place at a catch-weight of 195 pounds (Franklin recently moved up to 205 pounds and Silva planned to drop to 185 pounds). Like the other Silva, Anderson Silva is a noted striker. He's also one of only two guys who ever knocked out Franklin, so he's sure to pick up a few tricks.

Franklin recently took off for Seattle to work with trainer Matt Hume, and he'll reportedly spend some time in California with the current champ.

The move also underscores a budding rivalry between Anderson and Wanderlei Silva. Once training partners and friends, Wanderlei has spoken openly about his intention of dropping to 185 and challenging for the title, which presumedly would still be held by Anderson, who hasn't taken kindly to the plans.

Don't be surprised to see the Franklin-Anderson Silva footage make its way to the "UFC Countdown" show for the UFC 99 event. The footage could fan the flames of a potential Silva vs. Silva showdown if Franklin comes up short in June.

good move by Franklin's part to train with Anderson

mmamania

Strikeforce announced today that former Elite XC fighters and new Strikeforce acquisitions Nick Diaz (19-7) and Scott Smith (15-5) are confirmed for a special 180-pound showdown during the live Showtime telecast of Strikeforce: “Lawler vs. Shields” from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis , Mo., on June 6.

I don't see how Diaz standing with Smith would be incredibly stupid. In fact, I fully expect him to create a boxing match in order to keep Smith off balance when he shoots or clinches.

Smith has KO power and can take a hell of a beating. Let's no forget he's got way more of a chin than a sound standup game. It's fully believable Diaz can bust him up on the feet.

Diaz can easily take a decision on the feet as long as he avoids Smith's haymakers. Diaz will definitely pick him apart from a technique standpoint but like I said, if he gets caught with a big shot we could see him get KO'd for the first time in his career.

On another note, does anyone else have a new-found appreciation for Bruce Buffer after listening to Strikforce's horrible ring announcer?

I don't see how Diaz standing with Smith would be incredibly stupid. In fact, I fully expect him to create a boxing match in order to keep Smith off balance when he shoots or clinches.

Smith has KO power and can take a hell of a beating. Let's no forget he's got way more of a chin than a sound standup game. It's fully believable Diaz can bust him up on the feet.

but why take the chance standing? i don't think Diaz has the power to put Smith and his chin away. Diaz could very well out-strike Smith on the feet, proceed to go into that stance where he raises both hands in the air for some reason, and Smith could put him away with one shot.

on the feet, its a toss up

on the ground, theres no chance for Smith

In fact, I fully expect him to create a boxing match in order to keep Smith off balance when he shoots or clinches.

Excellent point. You are probably right, but I do not expect it to stay standing for long.

Diaz just has an overwhelming advantage on the ground. Can he beat Smith primarily standing? Sure, but there is a lot more danger for Diaz standing then there is on the ground.

but why take the chance standing? i don't think Diaz has the power to put Smith and his chin away. Diaz could very well out-strike Smith on the feet, proceed to go into that stance where he raises both hands in the air for some reason, and Smith could put him away with one shot.

on the feet, its a toss up

on the ground, theres no chance for Smith

I think he has to take a chance standing. Not only to finish the fight, but to work Smith's stamina and setup clinches/takedowns. Normal gameplanning.

I'm pretty sure Diaz and other fighters put their hands out there to distract and taunt their opponents. Opponents see it, their peripheral vision keeps them distracted and the act itself somewhat embarrasses them.

Smith knows what you and everyone else knows, Diaz will win on the ground.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think he has to take a chance standing. Not to finish the fight, but to work Smith's stamina and setup clinches/takedowns. Normal gameplanning.

I'm pretty sure Diaz and other fighters put their hands out there to distract and taunt their opponents. Opponents see it, their peripheral vision keeps them distracted and the act itself somewhat embarrasses them.

Smith knows what you and everyone else knows, Diaz will win on the ground.

I think Diaz has to start out standing with just about anyone because his wrestling is his weakness. I almost guarantee that he'll stand with Smith and either try and pick him apart and go for the kill, or wait until he's gassed from boxing and then try to take him down.