Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

GSP will be terrified of Alves' hands. I don't think he'll be able to GnP Alves, so yes, I predict a shoot/takedown/lay n' pray matchup. Do you really think he'll throw with Alves? Plus, Alves is GSP's size, so he's not going to be able to manhandle him on the mat like he does his other opponents.

:cheers: Good post.

GSP knows how to win on points when that is what it takes (see: Koschek; Penn)

so far the July 19th card looks like:

Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin (fought @ 205lbs)

Hermes Franca vs. Frankie Edgar

Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy (fought @ 205)

Debating with #99 got me thinking about Franca. I haven't thought about him for a while. Where the hell has he been? He hasn't fought since the Sherk fight. I hope he's improved his game. I like fighters like him, Guida, and Fisher. Just love to get in there and throw. I know, I know, Franca's a BJJ guy, but he has no fear of throwing.

And, since I'm letting my ADD kick in, is there any chance Torres would ever think about giving it a shot at 155? He might be out of his element, but damn, he should be headlining events, not being the precursor to the main event. He hasn't lost a freaking fight in 5 years. That's just sick, regardless of the weight class. However, he'll probably have to move up in weight to get the kind of respect he deserves. But man, his stand up and BJJ would make for a GREAT fight with BJ (assuming he can handle the added weight).

wow

Oh, and yeah, the Chuck/Anderson matchup is any MMA fan's wet dream. I'd still put my money on Silva, but I wouldn't bet much on it. What a fight that would be. Could be a slugfest like the Wandy/Chuck fight, or it could be a 30 second KO......Can they do a best 2 out of 3? :)

Debating with #99 got me thinking about Franca. I haven't thought about him for a while. Where the hell has he been? He hasn't fought since the Sherk fight. I hope he's improved his game. I like fighters like him, Guida, and Fisher. Just love to get in there and throw. I know, I know, Franca's a BJJ guy, but he has no fear of throwing.

And, since I'm letting my ADD kick in, is there any chance Torres would ever think about giving it a shot at 155? He might be out of his element, but damn, he should be headlining events, not being the precursor to the main event. He hasn't lost a freaking fight in 5 years. That's just sick, regardless of the weight class. However, he'll probably have to move up in weight to get the kind of respect he deserves. But man, his stand up and BJJ would make for a GREAT fight with BJ (assuming he can handle the added weight).

Franca been serving a 1yr suspension for using steroids in the Sherk fight.

I think Torres will move up, but only to 145. i think the WEC will let him and Faber win a 3 or 4 more fights, then plan a Super Fight between the two, personally i can't wait for that match. Torres is 5'9 so his body could definitely make the move to 145 & 155 if he wanted too.

Oh, and yeah, the Chuck/Anderson matchup is any MMA fan's wet dream. I'd still put my money on Silva, but I wouldn't bet much on it. What a fight that would be. Could be a slugfest like the Wandy/Chuck fight, or it could be a 30 second KO......Can they do a best 2 out of 3? :)

depends on how chuck responds to the torn hamstring. its not easy to heal major injuries as you get older. and judging by the Jardine fight, Chuck doesn't check many leg kicks. i think Silva would win a comfortable decision or even possibly a late round TKO against Chuck. Anderson is more methodical than Wandy could ever be, so Chuck wouldn't be able to use his aggression against him like he did with Wandy

Franca didn't contest his. he admitted his wrongdoing and took the penalty.

That's right. In today's world, admitting your wrongdoing and being a man deserves more punishment than denying the truth. Roger. Not that I'm saying Sherk necessarily roided out. But, why should that make a difference? They were both found to be positive.

Silva gets into fights sometimes and will bob and weave and counterpunch. I could totally see he and Chuck throwing at each other in the middle of the ring. That being said, Silva isn't a brawler, so perhaps my Wandy/Chuck analogy was a poor one. But, the main point was that it could be just as exciting, if not moreso.

That's right. In today's world, admitting your wrongdoing and being a man deserves more punishment than denying the truth. Roger. Not that I'm saying Sherk necessarily roided out. But, why should that make a difference? They were both found to be positive.

Silva gets into fights sometimes and will bob and weave and counterpunch. I could totally see he and Chuck throwing at each other in the middle of the ring. That being said, Silva isn't a brawler, so perhaps my Wandy/Chuck analogy was a poor one. But, the main point was that it could be just as exciting, if not moreso.

yeah, Franca definitely got the shaft in that situation

your right about A.Silva vs. Chuck though, it should be exciting for as long as it lasts. although since both tend to read then react, it could take awhile for the action to start.

I know this is stupid to bring up, but why did Dana let Arlovski go? The man hasn't lost to anyone other than Tim Sylvia in 6 years. Seriously. I know he looked like a bit of a ***** against Werdum, but Werdum made Vera look like a ***** and ended it in the 1st. I know, old topic, but I just got in an argument AGAINST Arlovski, looked up his record, and realized that I was completely wrong about him.

That is the American justice system in work. Just like any ticket any cop gives out. If you show up to court to fight it, your fine gets reduced regardless of whether you are guilty or not. Even though you are spending tax dollars to show up.

I know this is stupid to bring up, but why did Dana let Arlovski go? The man hasn't lost to anyone other than Tim Sylvia in 6 years. Seriously. I know he looked like a bit of a ***** against Werdum, but Werdum made Vera look like a ***** and ended it in the 1st. I know, old topic, but I just got in an argument AGAINST Arlovski, looked up his record, and realized that I was completely wrong about him.

Sure he has only lost to Tim, but who has he beaten? Werdum? That fight is as wash. No one won that fight. I could argue that Werdum won it. We could keep arguing about Arlovski, but I think it would be easier to just wait until July 19th and see how he does against Rothwell.

I think we will see that he is overrated.

When was the last time Diego won a fight against a quality opponent? Get back to me on that. Yes, he beat Nick Diaz, but not decidedly so. It was a snoozefest. Karo is overrated, as I've stated before. Same goes for Kenny, who should never have been fighting at that weight anyways.

GSP will be terrified of Alves' hands. I don't think he'll be able to GnP Alves, so yes, I predict a shoot/takedown/lay n' pray matchup. Do you really think he'll throw with Alves? Plus, Alves is GSP's size, so he's not going to be able to manhandle him on the mat like he does his other opponents.

As for "BJ jock-sniffing", you should know what you're talking about before stating something as silly as that. I've been one of his toughest critics. Hell, I rooted for Sherk. :rolleyes: Simple fact is, there is NOBODY that will hang with him in the UFC. What's the point of fighting people that were destroyed by the previous champion, particularly after you made the previous champion look stupid? Styles make fights, but BJ has proven that he can pretty much beat people in with whatever style he chooses.

EDIT: Oh, and do I smell a sig bet for the Penn/Huerta fight?

I'll give it to you that Diego hasn't beat a quality opponent in a while, he lost to Koscheck and Fitch (both decisions) who are two of the best WWs in the world, but you can't dismiss him as some name from TUF.

Why would GSP be afraid of Alves hands? Don't you remember when people thought GSP was a striker because he would stand up and bang with everyone earlier in his career? Alves isn't the same size as GSP either, GSP's got a height/reach advantage over Alves and is a WAY better wrestler, if he can take a guy like Matt Hughes or BJ Penn down at will then he's not going to have trouble controlling Alves on the ground and making him submit/GnP.

Just because Penn is more talented than the rest of his weight class does that mean that fighters who earn a shot don't get one?

Anderson Silva is leaps and bounds over his weight class, but is he not defending his belt? You don't just win the belt and not fight anyone because you think you're better than them, the point of being a champion is being the best and defending your title as champ.

And no you don't smell a sig bet on Huerta/Penn...but I do smell one on Alves/GSP?

I think Torres will move up, but only to 145. i think the WEC will let him and Faber win a 3 or 4 more fights, then plan a Super Fight between the two, personally i can't wait for that match. Torres is 5'9 so his body could definitely make the move to 145 & 155 if he wanted too.

That would be a HELL of a fight. I had that last Torres bout at "Faber vs. Pulver" as candidate for fight of the year.

*Edit, meant Faber vs. Pulver not Penn

Why would GSP be afraid of Alves hands? Don't you remember when people thought GSP was a striker because he would stand up and bang with everyone earlier in his career?

Don't you think he'd be stupid not to be? That is Alves' greatest weapon. And, if memory serves, the last great striker GSP faced (which, ironically, was probably BJ), he did exactly what I described. Shoot, takedown, repeat (that is, after getting pummeled in the first round). But, BJ, even at WW, was much smaller than Alves is now.

Alves isn't the same size as GSP either, GSP's got a height/reach advantage over Alves and is a WAY better wrestler, if he can take a guy like Matt Hughes or BJ Penn down at will then he's not going to have trouble

controlling Alves on the ground and making him submit/GnP.

Again, because Alves is bigger than both Hughes and BJ, and is probably the SAME weight (or heavier) than GSP. What difference does the height/reach matter? Are you saying GSP is going to outstrike Alves?

In the wise words of Joe Rogan on Alves, "He's a BIG dude". I never stated GSP wouldn't be able to take Alves down. I just said he won't be able to GnP him as easily as he had his far lighter and weaker opponents. And I expect him to do some laying until about the 4th or 5th round when Alves gasses. At that point he might be able to TKO him with strikes.

Just because Penn is more talented than the rest of his weight class does that mean that fighters who earn a shot don't get one?

No, but I want to see the best versus the best. BJ vs any current UFC lightweight is not the best vs the best. There's nothing more BJ can accomplish at LW in the UFC until they bring in/homegrow new talent.

Anderson Silva is leaps and bounds over his weight class, but is he not defending his belt? You don't just win the belt and not fight anyone because you think you're better than them, the point of being a champion is being the best and defending your title as champ.

Actually, his next fight is at LHW.

And no you don't smell a sig bet on Huerta/Penn...but I do smell one on Alves/GSP?

Why would I do that? I agree with you that Alves will lose, and I've never stated anything to the contrary. However, I think it will prove to be a lackluster fight, and GSP won't really open up until the late rounds when Alves is tired. I'm not sure why you're defending GSP as though I am preaching that he sucks. I've never said that.

after being KO'd by Serra, i don't think GSP will play the standup game with many more of his opponents. i think he'll have a little trouble keeping Alves down, but i can see him getting repeated takedowns. GSP would be wise to get Alves down though. If GSP got TKO'd by a natural LW in Serra, i expect Alves can do the same. Not to mention, GSP would be wise to get the fight to the ground so he doesn't take any of Alves' murderous leg kicks.

i still think GSP would win a decision victory, but it wouldn't be a cakewalk like his fights with Hughes or the 2nd victory against Serra.

That would be a HELL of a fight. I had that last Torres bout at "Faber vs. Penn" as candidate for fight of the year.

That wouldn't even be a contest. Faber's height and reach disadvantage is too big. Plus he went to Hilo to train with BJ for the Pulver fight and got out jits'd every time they rolled.

That wouldn't even be a contest. Faber's height and reach disadvantage is too big. Plus he went to Hilo to train with BJ for the Pulver fight and got out jits'd every time they rolled.

Interesting.. So you give Torres the nod right away? Not that I think you're wrong. I just find it wild that someone would count Faber out so easily with all the hype he gets.

Interesting.. So you give Torres the nod right away? Not that I think you're wrong. I just find it wild that someone would count Faber out so easily with all the hype he gets.

I think he's talking about BJ vs Faber, not Torres vs Faber. At least I think he is.

Don't you think he'd be stupid not to be? That is Alves' greatest weapon. And, if memory serves, the last great striker GSP faced (which, ironically, was probably BJ), he did exactly what I described. Shoot, takedown, repeat (that is, after getting pummeled in the first round). But, BJ, even at WW, was much smaller than Alves is now.

Again, because Alves is bigger than both Hughes and BJ, and is probably the SAME weight (or heavier) than GSP. What difference does the height/reach matter? Are you saying GSP is going to outstrike Alves?

Alves got TKO'd by Jon Fitch, who's not a big-time striker, I'm pretty sure GSP can stand with him if that's his gameplan and if he does, he will have the reach advantage in the fight...it's that simple.

Look, Alves' stand-up is definitely his strength but that doesn't make him a world-class stand-up guy. Who has he knocked out...Hughes? He was 10+ pounds heavier than Hughes. Karo? A Judo guy with no KOs on his record? Look at all of his KO's....they're all wrestlers or jiu jitsu guys.

In the wise words of Joe Rogan on Alves, "He's a BIG dude". I never stated GSP wouldn't be able to take Alves down. I just said he won't be able to GnP him as easily as he had his far lighter and weaker opponents. And I expect him to do some laying until about the 4th or 5th round when Alves gasses. At that point he might be able to TKO him with strikes.

Who cares what Joe Rogan says? :laugh: jk

No, but I want to see the best versus the best. BJ vs any current UFC lightweight is not the best vs the best. There's nothing more BJ can accomplish at LW in the UFC until they bring in/homegrow new talent.

That's just how MMA works man, the guys that earn title shots get them...every fight isn't going to be Chuck vs Wandy or Fedor vs. Cro cop or Big Nog.

Actually, his next fight is at LHW.

His last 3 fights were defenses of the MW title (would've been 4 if Lutter made weight), Franklin, Marquardt, and Lutter aren't on his level but he still defended the belt against the guys that have earned it...same thing BJ's going to do.

Why would I do that? I agree with you that Alves will lose, and I've never stated anything to the contrary. However, I think it will prove to be a lackluster fight, and GSP won't really open up until the late rounds when Alves is tired. I'm not sure why you're defending GSP as though I am preaching that he sucks. I've never said that.

And why would I pick Huerta over Penn? I just said that he is next in line for the LW title shot which he is, I never said he's going to whip up on BJ.

I messed that up, I meant to say Pulver vs Faber, I was referring to the event not the fight....the fight I was talking about wanting to see is Torres vs. Faber....and the fight of the year candidate I meant was Torres vs. Maeda

GSP is on a whole new level these days. His stand-up was always awesome but now his ground game is SICK. He's way too complete for Alves. (IMHO.)

That's what I'm getting at, Alves may have heavy hands and striking may be his strength, but GSP's standup is more technical and he's too well rounded to go down to a one-dimensional fighter...but he can always get caught, ala the first Serra bout.

That's what I'm getting at, Alves may have heavy hands and striking may be his strength, but GSP's standup is more technical and he's too well rounded to go down to a one-dimensional fighter...but he can always get caught, ala the first Serra bout.

As can anyone. It's the only reason we watch some fights. Ya just never know.. :)