Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

The one thing I can't stop thinking about from Saturday night is how focused and in shape this guy looked:

070712silva.jpg

I was so happy to see him come out like he did and win Saturday night. As focused as he was, I don't think there are many LHW's that would have stood a chance against him. Nobody wants to fight him, and he could really get back to being a force no matter what division he ends up in.

I personally think he stays at 205, but what does everyone else think? I just think there are better fights for him at 205. I can only think of a few that would intrigue me at 185. Thoughts?

The one thing I can't stop thinking about from Saturday night is how focused and in shape this guy looked:

070712silva.jpg

I was so happy to see him come out like he did and win Saturday night. As focused as he was, I don't think there are many LHW's that would have stood a chance against him. Nobody wants to fight him, and he could really get back to being a force no matter what division he ends up in.

I personally think he stays at 205, but what does everyone else think? I just think there are better fights for him at 205. I can only think of a few that would intrigue me at 185. Thoughts?

205 for sure. Wanderlei is one of my all-time favorite fighters and he just got on a bad streak...he lost to 3 of the best in MMA no shame in that.

I agree though, when I saw him take off his shirt before stepping in the cage I knew he was going to KO Jardine. He looked like he was in the same shape he was in for his Pride days. Against Chuck he looked a little smaller and out of shape, I think he's got his focus back now and I'm excited to see who he fights next.

Wandy's one of my favorite fighters ever, but i gotta wait until his next fight to declare him back or not. Jardine was a perfect match-up for him to do what he did. Houston proved Jardine to be exceptionally weak in the clinch, which is Silva's sweet-spot.

i hope the Silva we saw Saturday is what we see from here on out, but like i said, i want to see him fight once more before i get my hopes up too high.

Consiering Sherk didn't attempt a take down to have him expend energy, cant say I've surprised nor do I feel thats a good judge of his cardio right now.

I noticed that too, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with his cardio though. I did notice though in the 3rd round BJ was a little more flatfooted his attack and his counter punches. He also had a lazy half-assed attempt at a take down. Not really a indication of fatigue, but it was obvious he didn't have the same pep in his step from the previous two rounds.

Either way, I was happy he won. I would love to see him fight GSP, but not at 175 though. That fight should be a catch-weight for both fighters, at 165. That way BJ would have to gain and GSP would have to lose weight.

I noticed that too, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with his cardio though. I did notice though in the 3rd round BJ was a little more flatfooted his attack and his counter punches. He also had a lazy half-assed attempt at a take down. Not really a indication of fatigue, but it was obvious he didn't have the same pep in his step from the previous two rounds.

Either way, I was happy he won. I would love to see him fight GSP, but not at 175 though. That fight should be a catch-weight for both fighters, at 165. That way BJ would have to gain and GSP would have to lose weight.

GSP fights at 170 so he'd only have to drop 5 more pounds. I think if BJ is the one that wants a fight him, he needs to move up in weight. Same with GSP if he wants to fight Anderson Silva. :2cents:

Anyone else notice that Penn didn't take a seat in between rounds? How's that for improved cardio?

Meh, I wouldn't put too much weight into that. I wish the fight would have gone longer b/c then we would have been able to see the cardio play more into the results...:2cents:

GSP fights at 170 so he'd only have to drop 5 more pounds. I think if BJ is the one that wants a fight him, he needs to move up in weight. Same with GSP if he wants to fight Anderson Silva. :2cents:

Agreed. You want to fight someone at a higher weight, the responsibility is on you to move up and meet them at that weight.

Wanderlei thanks his fans after his big win. How can anyone not love this guy:

“My greatest joy was without a doubt to be able to bring happiness to those of you who never gave up on believing in me. My true friends, now we have been redeemed. I spent the day reading and re-reading the messages from you on the internet. You have no idea how happy I am. I am certain any fighter would love to have fans like you. I went through three hard months, training for this fight, and it wasn’t just once or twice that the messages from you uplifted me and stimulated me to keep on training intensely. This fight was decisive. I was under a lot of pressure. I had to win by all means. But at these tough times I could see you guys were with me. To have the affection of you guys on my side is an honor, it is priceless. I was very moved and felt like crying after the win. Thank God I cry from happiness. At that moment I thought of all of you excited by this so long-awaited moment!! Now you can also talk to me on MySpace (myspace.com/wanderleisilva). Here I’ll be able to get to know you better. I haven’t the words to thank you enough for the strength you have given me. Let’s beat our chests and celebrate with much joy, because this victory is ours!! Thank you so much.”

Meh, I wouldn't put too much weight into that. I wish the fight would have gone longer b/c then we would have been able to see the cardio play more into the results...:2cents:

It is impossible to satisfy the BJ haters. 3 full rounds with Sherk without gassing after only gassing once in his entire career (Hughes was an injury) and he still has cardio issues :doh:

GSP is a HUGE 170. He cuts as much weight as anyone in the sport. BJ is an old school guy who doesn't mind fighting bigger guys though (like Henderson).

GSP is smart and will do anything to win. Here is a poster about it.

GSP-Pennposter.jpg

It is impossible to satisfy the BJ haters. 3 full rounds with Sherk without gassing after only gassing once in his entire career (Hughes was an injury) and he still has cardio issues :doh:

GSP is a HUGE 170. He cuts as much weight as anyone in the sport. BJ is an old school guy who doesn't mind fighting bigger guys though (like Henderson).

GSP-Pennposter.jpg

Um, I didn't say BJ had cardio issues in this last fight. I said if we could have seen the fight go into later rounds it might have come more into play...although I wouldn't expect the BJ homers to take notice either way.

I understand you are unhappy with the GSP v. BJ 1 results...but fear not, I'm sure we'll see another match-up in the not too distant future...simply b/c Dana knows it would be a good UFC business decision to have a high profile fight like that...and I know BJ would like to avenge his loss to GSP. Maybe this time he'll be in a little better cardio shape and won't allow himself to get taken down by GSP so much in the late minutes of the fight sealing his loss...

GSP-Pennposter.jpg

If they do rematch soon, I've got GSP for a sig bet

Wanderlei thanks his fans after his big win. How can anyone not love this guy:

“My greatest joy was without a doubt to be able to bring happiness to those of you who never gave up on believing in me. My true friends, now we have been redeemed. I spent the day reading and re-reading the messages from you on the internet. You have no idea how happy I am. I am certain any fighter would love to have fans like you. I went through three hard months, training for this fight, and it wasn’t just once or twice that the messages from you uplifted me and stimulated me to keep on training intensely. This fight was decisive. I was under a lot of pressure. I had to win by all means. But at these tough times I could see you guys were with me. To have the affection of you guys on my side is an honor, it is priceless. I was very moved and felt like crying after the win. Thank God I cry from happiness. At that moment I thought of all of you excited by this so long-awaited moment!! Now you can also talk to me on MySpace (myspace.com/wanderleisilva). Here I’ll be able to get to know you better. I haven’t the words to thank you enough for the strength you have given me. Let’s beat our chests and celebrate with much joy, because this victory is ours!! Thank you so much.”

:applause: to Wanderlei, glad to see him back in shape and winning again.

If ANYONE thinks that cardio didn't come into play in the Penn/Sherk fight JUST because it didn't hit the ground, they're on crack. They've obviously never boxed anyone for rounds. And let's not forget that boxing rounds are 3 minutes long, not 5.

People said Penn has no cardio, and I'm sure he knows that and that's probably the very reason why he thought it would make a statement not to take a seat in between rounds against Sherk, a cardio freak...and people still find SOMETHING to say...absolute crap.

big weekend for MMA with EliteXC in primetime Sat. Night & WEC sunday night.

my picks for each event:

EliteXC

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson vs. James Thompson: Thompson will make it interesting for all of a minute before Kimbo connects on his glass chin

Kimbo Slice by KO, 1st Round

Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith: this has the potential to be a very entertaining fight. Lawler and Smith both have dynamite in their hands. Lawler stand up is better technique wise so i give the fight to him.

Robbie Lawler by KO, 2nd Round

Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young: Carano hasn't been training as much as she should do to so much publicity and promotion. She's been struggling to make weight and the girl Kaitlin Young is pretty tough. i say Young pulls the upset

Kaitlin Young by TKO, 2nd Round

Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor: Baroni days are behind him. he lost to a guy he should've beaten in his last fight. Villasenor has good enough strikes to land something to crack Baroni a few times.

Joey Villasenor by Unanimous Decision

Brett Rogers vs. Jon Murphy: don't know much about either fighter, but i've seen Rogers twice before and he looked pretty good.

Rogers by TKO, 2nd Round

WEC

Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver: Faber is great, but i have a hard time buying into the hype simply because he just doesn't have much competent competition in the division (Curran was his first real test, and he looked great). Pulver is used to fighting bigger guys than Faber and has good enough wrestling that he should be able to keep it standing long enough to test Fabers chin. Tyson Griffin KO'd Faber before and Pulver hits much harder than Griffin ever could. I say Pulver catches Faber with a hard shot that ends the fight.

Pulver by TKO, 2nd Round

Miguel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda: Torres is one of my 3 or 4 favorite fighters in all of MMA. i got a chance to download a few of his fights and he is extremely well rounded. he has great Muay Thai, and is brown belt under one of the Gracies (i think either Carlson or Cesar). he has some of the best offensive BJJ in MMA. he constantly looks for subs and doesn't take much damage when he is on his back. Maeda is a powerful striker and should pose a good test.

Torres by Sub, 2nd Round

Rob McCullough vs. Kenneth Alexander: Razor Rob should be looking for some redemption after losing his title last time out. hopefully he has a good showing here.

Rob McCullough by KO, 1st Round

Mark Munoz vs. Chuck Grigsby: Munoz is being touted as one of their better prospects in WEC so he needs to look good in this fight

Munoz by TKO, 1st Round

Jeff Curran vs. Mike Brown: Curran should be ready to bounce back after losing to Faber. i don't see much in Brown's game that should worry Curran.

Jeff Curran by Unanimous Decision

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4459/elitexc-primetime-weigh-in-results.mma

* - New Jersey Deputy Attorney General Nick Lembo told MMAjunkie.com the Gina Carano-Kaitlin Young bout was scheduled to be contested at 140 pounds. Both fighters were aware that Carano would be over weight before the weigh-ins, and a percentage of Carano's purse was awarded to Young. Lembo was unsure of the amount but believed it to be 12 to 12.5 percent.

Carano has struggled to make 140lbs everytime she's fought. i'm surprised Gary Shaw just hasn't raised the weight for the women's division

EliteXC

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson vs. James Thompson: If Thompson is smart, he'll shoot early and try hard for a G&P or a lay and pray. Kimbo may have learned a lot from Bas but we've seen what happens when you stand in front of him.

Kimbo Slice by KO, 1st Round

Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith: I've never seen Smith.

Robbie Lawler by KO, 2nd Round

Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young: Still Unknown is right about his comments on the possibility that Gina is not in top shape. I'm not sure if I've seen Kaitlyn fight though, and I figure if Carano's naturally heavy for 140 the she must be very strong for the class.

Kaitlyn will succeed early but Gina Carano will win by some form of choke. I'll say late 2nd round.

Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor: I like Joey's heart and he really has trained to a higher level of fighting that I didn't think he could reach. He may be out of his league in punching power though. Baroni may have been motivated in training by his loss to Frank Shamrock and will not want to lose 2 straight. Joey better go to the mat in this one. Tough call to make, but...

Baroni by TKO in the 3rd.

WEC

Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver: I know Faber's a beast but I just love Little Evil. Purely going with my heart on this one. No analysis to give.

Pulver by KTFO, 1st Round :) (WTF...)

Thank you SU for the sweet template. :)

I can't even make calls on the other WEC fights. I'm not up to speed with some of you on their fighters.

Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor: I like Joey's heart and he really has trained to a higher level of fighting that I didn't think he could reach. He may be out of his league in punching power though. Baroni may have been motivated in training by his loss to Frank Shamrock and will not want to lose 2 straight. Joey better go to the mat in this one. Tough call to make, but...

Baroni by TKO in the 3rd.

Thank you SU for the sweet template. :)

I can't even make calls on the other WEC fights. I'm not up to speed with some of you on their fighters.

Baroni is actually coming into this fight on a 2 fight losing streak. after he lost to Shamrock, he was finished in the 5th round against a guy named Kala Hose at an Icon Sport event

damn baroni is fighting on CBS? how low has he fallen?

I wouldn't consider that falling...isn't this the first live nationwide airing of MMA on network TV ever? Not counting Spike TV. And I think not everyone has the Versus channel.