Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I can't believe I'm begging for this, but can someone give me a sig? Seriously. I lose a bet, and I don't have to pay up. I guess at this point, StillUnkown can pick it since Dance04 doesn't check very often....So, hook me up dude. ;)

Predictions for UFC Fight Night 4/2/2008 (only the ones I care about)

Anthony Johnson vs. Tommy Speer: This may look like a gimme because Tommy was a warrior on TUF, but Anthony Johnson knocked out 17-3 Chad Reiner 13 seconds in to their fight less than a year ago. Losses like that can be considered flukes, but Johnson is a promising young fighter. This is a win-win fight for the UFC. I'll take Johnson in a TKO upset.

Roman Mitichyan vs. George Sotiropoulos: I was never impressed with George. The guy has no stand up game. Roman has a dash of standup, but this fight is going straight to the floor unless one of them wants to pull out a surprise. I think George will win the submission battle. Armbar Round 1.

Samy Schiavo vs. Clay Guida: Clay has been in a rut for over two years. But any MMA fan knows that those L's are better than most fighter's W's. Schiavo could be a sneaky fighter that Clay cannot take lightly. Schiavo isn't Roger Heurta, but Clay needs to pretend he is. The guy has KO power and knows submissions. I'll take clay by RNC in the 2nd.

Josh Neer vs. Din Thomas: This is a real good matchup. Din has been fighting much better guys lately, and I think he's due to woop some ass. Kimura in the 3rd.

Gray Maynard vs. Frank Edgar: I think Frank is for real. Guy has a really sound standup and can hang with strong guys on the ground. He'll win this and be a big fight away from B.J./Sherk. Unanimous Decision.

James Irvin vs. Houston Alexander: Good matchup for Houston, but not that good. Still a lot of unanswered questions for Houston. How good is his chin? We might find out tonight how much he "slipped" when Jardine clipped his chin. Houston needs to be more technically sound for this fight. He'll pull this out if he can keep his excitement down and his defense up. Late first round KO.

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Nate Diaz: These guys are finishers. This fight should be scrappy and the aggression should be against Nate. He's a methodical fighter and wants to open business with a stalled ground fight. I think Pellegrino's intensity should out-do Nate. I question Nate's heart, and therefore will take Pellegrino by RNC in round 3.

Matt Hamill vs. Tim Boetsch: I really like Boetsch. He looks like he picks fights in bars, but the guy is really technically sound. He's also a scrappy, pressing, and mean fighter. Hamill isn't a pushover, he has fought pretty good fighters. This is a good test for both of these guys. I'll take Tim by TKO strikes in round 2.

Thiago Alves vs. Karo Parisyan: Good matchup. Karo, the master of decisions, will probably be going for another one. Thiago is going to go for the homerun when each round starts. When he misses, Karo will shoot and toy with him on the ground with better positioning and submission attempts. I think Karo will break out of his decisions and pull a late armbar. Armbar round 3.

Joe Lauzon vs. Kenny Florian: Good matchup here, and I think Lauzon will come out pumped, but Flo is a gamer. I think Lauzon will be a little over confident. Kenny's ground and pound will score points and he'll squeak out the win. Unanimous decision.

Great analysis. I agree with everything you wrote. The only picks I disagree with are the first two. I think(hope) Roman beats George, and Speer beats Johnson by GNC

I''m not sure how the fights will finish, but I agree with the rest of your picks.

155 will be a very interesting weight class this year. If Edgar and Florian all win they are right up there with Huerta as 1a, b, and c contenders for the title. I would also like to see Din rematch Florian after losing because of a torn ACL if Din wins tonight.

Let's also not forget that if Serra loses to St. Pierre he is going to drop down to 155.

Not sure where that leaves Tyson Giffin and Joe Stevenson. Talk about a stacked division.

Great analysis. I agree with everything you wrote. The only picks I disagree with are the first two. I think(hope) Roman beats George, and Speer beats Johnson by GNC

I''m not sure how the fights will finish, but I agree with the rest of your picks.

155 will be a very interesting weight class this year. If Edgar and Florian all win they are right up there with Huerta as 1a, b, and c contenders for the title. I would also like to see Din rematch Florian after losing because of a torn ACL if Din wins tonight.

Let's also not forget that if Serra loses to St. Pierre he is going to drop down to 155.

Not sure where that leaves Tyson Giffin and Joe Stevenson. Talk about a stacked division.

This just ensures that we will have a LOT of fun in this thread for some time to come. :)

I can't believe I'm begging for this, but can someone give me a sig? Seriously. I lose a bet, and I don't have to pay up. I guess at this point, StillUnkown can pick it since Dance04 doesn't check very often....So, hook me up dude. ;)

here you go friend:

241v79u.gif

^^^i got armbarred by Bob Sapp :(

-Matt Hamill vs. Tim Boetsch- Hamill by sub.

I forgot that Boetsch was the freak who tossed some guy on his face a while back before pummeling the guy into what should be his retirement. I can't change my prediction and I hope Hamill brings his A-game but wow, I wish I'd remembered Boetsch when I made the call. :)

some early results of the preliminary matches that may not be shown on camera (i hid the results just in case they show them afterall):

Anthony Johnson vs. Tom Speer (Pictures)

Round 1

Johnson came out strong with a head kick and some punching combos that rocked Speer early. Speer recovered and got to his feet, where he was finished with a punching flurry at 0:51 of the opening frame. Impressive performance from Anthony Johnson.

Roman Mitichyan vs. George Sotiropoulos (Pictures)

Round 1

Sotriopoulos landed an early takedown and secured back-control. As Mitichyan stood to get out of the choke, he nearly fell into a rear-naked choke. However he fought out of immediate danger while Sotiropoulos retained positions on the canvas. The round ended any attempt at his finishing with armbar. 10-9 Sherdog.com.

Round 2

Another early takedown opens the second round for Sotiropoulos. He outclasses Mitichyan on the floor as he works through various positions, including mount and back-control. Strikes are now his weapon of choice and Sotiropoulos pounds away until the referee steps in at 2:24 of the second round.

Samy Schiavo (Pictures) vs. Clay Guida (Pictures)

Round 1

Guida had to rally in the evening's third preliminary bout, as he was stunned by a few hard punches by the Frenchman around the two minute mark. Guida recovered his bearings and scored a much-needed takedown, where he looked to pass his opponent's guard. With just over a minute left in the stanza, Guida mounted the Frenchman, and followed with heavy rights and lefts from the dominant position until the referee stepped in to save Schiavo at 4:15 of the first.

Jeff Cox (Pictures) vs. Manvel Gamburyan (Pictures)

Round 1

Gamburyan was stuffed on an early takedown attempt, and saw himself pinned against the cage. With his back to the fencing, Gamburyan executed a beautiful judo throw and transitioned into a perfect guillotine. Cox tapped quickly at the 1:41 mark of the first round.

Marcus Aurelio vs. Ryan Roberts

Round 1

Aurelio landed a straight right hand that dropped Roberts just seconds into the lightweight contest. Aurelio swarmed his downed opponent with punches and went directly to an armbar to secure the finish at just 16 seconds of the opening frame.

Josh Neer (Pictures) vs. Din Thomas (Pictures)

Round 1

The first two minutes played out like a kickboxing bout, with Neer playing the aggressor and Thomas slipping a lot of the punches with good footwork and head movement. Neer got a takedown midway through the round and landed some good punched and a right elbow. Thomas was active from the bottom, looking for two armbars. Near the end of the round, Thomas got to his feet and scored a takedown of his own. 10-9 for Neer.

Round 2

Neer charged and pushed Thomas against the cage before scoring a takedown to start the second frame. From the top position, Neer landed an elbow but he could not hold Thomas down. The American Top Team fighter took Neer down and transitioned to the back, where he looked unsuccessfully for a rear-naked choke. Neer turned into the choke to escape. After standing, Neer took Thomas down and had to fight off a kneebar for his effort. Neer, showing craftiness, escaped danger and worked the top position with punches and elbows. Close round that goes to Neer, 10-9 on the Sherdog scorecard.

Round 3

The final period is all Neer, as he outworked the fatigued Thomas for the duration of the five minute round. A low kick knocked Thomas to the canvas early. Thomas stood up and pulled guard, which played right into Neer's game plan of controlling from the top with punches and elbows. At the 2:50 mark, an elbow opened up a deep cut under the right eye of Thomas that needed a doctor's check. After the fight was resumed in the same position on the ground, Neer continued his assault en route to cruising to an easy 10-9 round. All three judges scored the contest 30-27 for Josh Neer.