Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

HELL YES!!! :cheers:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12220

Breaking News: Fedor Confirms Sylvia Fight

[4/8/2008] Top ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) will fight Tim Sylvia (Pictures) on July 19. The Russian mixed martial arts champion confirmed the bout to Sherdog.com on Tuesday.

"[sylvia] is a good fighter, a strong fighter, the former UFC heavyweight champion, which is important," Emelianenko said via telephone from Stary Oskol, Russia. "I am looking forward to fighting him and training hard for this fight."

While Emelianenko was short on details, Sherdog.com has learned through sources close to the negotiations that Fedor-Sylvia would headline a card tentatively scheduled for the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, the home base of HDNet Fights.

Attempts to confirm the fight with HDNet went unreturned, however sources indicate the bout will air on the Mark Cuban-owned network and is rumored to be promoted by Affliction, a clothing brand closely tied to MMA.

Affliction had been connected with Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, however a June 28 Las Vegas date has since been discarded.

Emelianenko, a 31-year-old sambo practitioner, has faced criticism from media and fans alike after a string of fights against less than stellar competition. Sylvia would represent the Russian's first ranked opponent since his unanimous decision over Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic nearly three years ago.

Widely regarded as the top heavyweight fighter in the world, Emelianenko (27-1-0, 1 NC) was recently freed from a letter of intent binding him to the now-defunct M-1 Global promotion.

Sylvia, 32, is coming off a submission loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) in February at UFC 81. After a spirited performance that saw him batter his foe at will with strikes, Sylvia (24-4-0) eventually fell victim to a classic Nogueira come-from-behind performance and succumbed to a guillotine choke early in the third round.

Awesome news. Fedor will finally fight a top contender. This one should be good. Fdeor is used to fighter big guys. No one with the kind of striking and reach as Big Tim though.

I'll be rooting for Big Tim to knock Fedor off his pedestal. Maybe then he will lower his demands and fight more often.

I'll be very intereted to see if this ends up in a cage or a ring.

Awesome news. Fedor will finally fight a top contender. This one should be good. Fdeor is used to fighter big guys. No one with the kind of striking and reach as Big Tim though.

I'll be rooting for Big Tim to knock Fedor off his pedestal. Maybe then he will lower his demands and fight more often.

I'll be very intereted to see if this ends up in a cage or a ring.

I'm def rooting for Fedor in this one. I like Tim but I've heard him make ****y comments about Fedor and I'd like to see him caught in Fedor's ground and pound.

HELL YES!!! :cheers:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12220

Breaking News: Fedor Confirms Sylvia Fight

Finally, a 9 foot guy that actually makes a good matchup for Fedor!

Glad to see Fedor's back, or at least back fighting legit contenders. Assuming this fight will be in a ring, I give Sylvia almost no chance. Fedor will throw a combo faster than Sylvia has ever seen, and immediately shoot for a takedown. He will get Sylvia down and sub him. I see this as a bad matchup for Sylvia. Fedor is a bad matchup for everybody, but Sylvia's slow-the-standup style isn't going to fly. Pretty exciting.

I hope this does one of two things. Creates a strong, honorable organization outside of the UFC, or smacks Dana straight upside the head and makes him realize he isn't the hardest SOB on the planet. Hope both Fedor and Sylvia get paid a sum much larger than the UFC has ever dished out.

Finally, a 9 foot guy that actually makes a good matchup for Fedor!

Glad to see Fedor's back, or at least back fighting legit contenders. Assuming this fight will be in a ring, I give Sylvia almost no chance. Fedor will throw a combo faster than Sylvia has ever seen, and immediately shoot for a takedown. He will get Sylvia down and sub him. I see this as a bad matchup for Sylvia. Fedor is a bad matchup for everybody, but Sylvia's slow-the-standup style isn't going to fly. Pretty exciting.

I hope this does one of two things. Creates a strong, honorable organization outside of the UFC, or smacks Dana straight upside the head and makes him realize he isn't the hardest SOB on the planet. Hope both Fedor and Sylvia get paid a sum much larger than the UFC has ever dished out.

Also, if Fedor wins this match he should go against Ben Rothwell next, who is also signed with this new organization.

The cool thing about this new organization (Adrenaline) is that they let their fighters take matches outside of their own which could revolutionize the way we're used to MMA.

It shows what a popular athlete he is in Russia.

Fedor Carries Olympic Torch in St. Petersburg

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12232

4/9/2008] In a traditional lead-up to the Beijing Olympics, the Olympic torch touched down in St. Petersburg, Russia, on Saturday before heading off to England and France, continuing its world tour.

The torch was taken along a 12-mile route through the wide streets and boulevards of the historical river city by a relay of 80 Russian sporting champions, cultural icons and national heroes.

After starting at the Soviet World War II memorial, it passed Petropavlovsk Fortress and St. Isaac's Cathedral before finally arriving at the Palace Square in front of the State Hermitage Museum -- the setting for the beginning of the 1918 Communist Revolution.

The first carrier of the torch was Galina Zybina, 77, an Olympic shot put gold medalist at the 1952 Games, the first year that the Soviet Union took part in the competition. Zybina was a survivor of the 900-day German blockade of the city during World War II, during which approximately 2 million of the residents died from a lack of food and the harsh Russian winters.

The ceremony to light the torch was conducted by city governor Valentina Matvienko, flanked by soldiers in period uniforms and serenaded by a military orchestra. Zybina's starting of the relay was said to be "deeply symbolic."

Former Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) also carried the torch, and for the sport of mixed martial arts in Russia, it is perhaps also deeply symbolic that he was asked to participate.

The public profile of MMA has been rising steadily throughout the last 10 years, particularly in St. Petersburg due to the city being a base for the Red Devil Club and a continuing host of the M-1 Mixfight events.

Nationalism is a very important part of the Russian culture and psyche. Though its uptake of popular culture is on par with any Western country, Russia still holds in very high regard its national victories. The whole country, young and old, celebrates a variety of war and peacetime achievements.

Under a bright blue spring sky, Fedor, wearing an official Beijing Olympics training shirt and sporting the number 42, carried the torch alongside such national heroes as Zybina, Olympic figure skater Evgeni Plushenko, St. Petersburg soccer star Andrei Arshavin and the first woman in space, Valentina Tereshkova.

"The Olympics is the pinnacle of sporting achievement, and the torch is the game's symbol," said Emelianenko, who on Tuesday told Sherdog.com he'll fight Tim Sylvia (Pictures) this July. "It's therefore a treasure. I was very honored to be asked to participate and carry the torch for my part of its journey with such accomplished company, including a great number of world-class athletes, whom I hold in very high regard."

The carriers in each country were chosen by each nation's Olympic Committee representatives along with local authorities. The 31-year-old Emelianko's participation is perhaps the strongest sign yet of the sporting establishment's acceptance of MMA.

This is particularly interesting in Russia, where MMA does not have the broad audience it enjoys in the United States or Japan. That's not to say it is unknown. There is "Boets," a television channel dedicated to the fighting arts and, famously, Russian President Vladimir Putin is a big fan. However there aren't significant gate numbers, events are few and far between and pay-per-view does not exist.

This isn't only the case with MMA. All Russian professional sports have a long way to go before they are commercialized to the level that the United States enjoys.

Hence MMA in Russia has not forced itself on mainstream sporting consciousness purely through its economic might and the media presence that follows it. It has quietly done its own thing, appealing to the country's grass roots combat sports fans, slowly gaining acceptance and a following.

UPDATE:

I called Yamasaki and the Kenny Florian Seminar IS open to outsiders. They will be charging between $40-$60 (I guess they haven't decided yet). It's from 12pm-3pm Sunday May 11th (Mother's Day...luckily we're doing dinner and I can go since it's earlier in the day). If that doesn't work for you, check his schedule, he's hitting a few other gyms in the MD/VA area that weekend.

http://kennyflorian.com/schedule.html

Hey guys, the card that Fedor/Sylvia is on may be getting amped up quite a bit. Check out those names.......

http://dreamfighters.com/site/?action=detail&id=1207842187

Tim Sylvia Vs. Fedor

Andrei Arlovski Vs. Ben Rothwell

Babalu Vs. Mike Whitehead

Pedro Rizzo Vs. Josh Barnett

Alexander Emelienenko vs. TBA

These are however rumors, and from limited sources, but we will bring you confirmation once it happens.

Hey guys, the card that Fedor/Sylvia is on may be getting amped up quite a bit. Check out those names.......

Tim Sylvia Vs. Fedor

These are however rumors, and from limited sources, but we will bring you confirmation once it happens.

If that turns out and they decide to put it on PPV it could be one of the best sellers yet on PPV.

UPDATE:

I called Yamasaki and the Kenny Florian Seminar IS open to outsiders. They will be charging between $40-$60 (I guess they haven't decided yet). It's from 12pm-3pm Sunday May 11th (Mother's Day...luckily we're doing dinner and I can go since it's earlier in the day). If that doesn't work for you, check his schedule, he's hitting a few other gyms in the MD/VA area that weekend.

http://kennyflorian.com/schedule.html

Thanks for the update man $40-$60 would definitely be worth it

Tim Sylvia Vs. Fedor

Wow...simply wow. That would be a great card. Sign me up!

Tim Sylvia Vs. Fedor

i would rather see Arlovski face Barnett, but i can't at all complain about that card. straight heavyweights, UFC couldn't do something like that with their current heavyweights

i would rather see Arlovski face Barnett, but i can't at all complain about that card. straight heavyweights, UFC couldn't do something like that with their current heavyweights

:laugh: Damn SU, I didn' think there was anything to complain about on that card, but you found one.

Seriously though, I'd like to see the winner of Rothwell/Arlovski fight Fedor if he wins.

:laugh: Damn SU, I didn' think there was anything to complain about on that card, but you found one.

Seriously though, I'd like to see the winner of Rothwell/Arlovski fight Fedor if he wins.

i still want to see Fedor fight Barnett, it was the match never happened in Pride that should have.

I agree, I'd love to see that fight, but I think Rothwell and Arlovski are both more deserving at this point, especially Ben Rothwell.

No way. Barnett deserves a Fedor fight as much as anyone in the business. I like Rothwell, but he hasn't faced any top competition yet.

Arlovski has a lot to prove to get back to the top on my book. He has looked anything but impressive since his last knockout loss to Sylvia.

Barnett has fought all the top guys that weren't in the UFC. He beat Nog once and lost a controversial decision the second time. Everyone points to his Cro Cop losses, but you have to look at the circumstances of those fights. The last one was the same night he fought a war with Nog. He was already beat up from it. Cro Cop Just had a warm-up match against Wandy that night.

Barnett schooled Hunt(Fedor had some trouble with him) and Aleksander. He even did what Fedor couldn;t and finished Semmy Schlit.

Barnett also has the best chance to beat Fedor. I know I would bet on him.