Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I said last year I thought Nunes had a good matchup style to beat Ronda eventually....but I was thinking more 2017/2018ish.  Now, given what has happened to Ronda plus the long layoff, could Nunes be ready to take her out now? Perhaps, however I don't think people should be writing off Ronda at all coming into this fight. 

Nunes looked impressive against Tate, but Tate also looked totally unprepared, dare I say unmotivated?  I think winning the title may have been her goal since she nearly walked away from the sport when it looked like it wasn't in the cards.  Now that she accomplished it I am not sure if Tate will ever have that same drive/motivation.  Maybe that was part of why Nunes looked like an absolute killer in there against her?

Anyway, all I am saying is I think it would be foolish to write Rousey off or assume she won't be the same or even better coming off the Holm loss.

basically it will come down to how Ronda reacts to getting punched in the face again. her striking will never be as good as Nunes' is right now. Luckily for Ronda, Nunes isn't much of a clinch fighter so if Ronda can close the distance, she has a good shot of getting her down on the ground.  Nunes has a good ground game, but I doubt she wants be on her back. it also works to Ronda's advantage that Nunes isn't much of a mover in the striking game. Nunes has power and solid technique, but she won't present the same kind of movement that baffled Rousey when she fought Holly.

I'm picking Nunes because I dont think Ronda will react well to being tagged, but there are clear paths to a Rousey victory.

It's one thing for a nimble striker that understands how to create and use space to beat her, but a fighter that is happy to clinch and get in close has never managed to even look competitive against Rousey.  Is she's the same world class judo fighter she was before the loss and long break, the style of this one would seem to favor her over Nunes.  But we don't know what she's been doing for a year, she might have lost focus on her fighting career.  Did they ever start filming for the movie Road House?  

I think some people let the Holm fight cloud their memory of Rousey's previous fights.  She never shied away from contact previous to that fight.  In fact she more times than not invited it, in order to get the clinch.  Holm was a different animal because of her footwork and counter striking ability.  

Now it is true that sometimes once a fighter is KO'd in brutal fashion it leaves a sort of perma-imprint on their psyche and they never have the same aggression again, however being that this is Rousey's first fight back there is no way to predict whether that is the case with her or not yet.

On 10/12/2016 at 5:50 PM, NoCalMike said:

I think some people let the Holm fight cloud their memory of Rousey's previous fights.  She never shied away from contact previous to that fight.  In fact she more times than not invited it, in order to get the clinch.  Holm was a different animal because of her footwork and counter striking ability.  

Now it is true that sometimes once a fighter is KO'd in brutal fashion it leaves a sort of perma-imprint on their psyche and they never have the same aggression again, however being that this is Rousey's first fight back there is no way to predict whether that is the case with her or not yet.

The major issue was always how much more advanced Ronda was as opposed to the other female fighters due to the infancy of WMMA. She dominated fighters who simply didn't have the background she has. Now with the popularity growing and younger and younger females getting into the sport she's going to see more talented fighters.

This is why I never got behind the idea of her being so amazing. They've carefully hid her from cyborg whilst acting like cyborg actually didn't exist. I mean, I get it. Ronda is pretty and has an attitude that people are attracted too but she was always going to face someone at some point that was going to beat her. She simply isn't all that well-rounded. Tate nearly beat her and I still say Ronda tapped in that fight. 

She'll fight Nunes and if she wins they'll give her a couple more fights so they can capitalize off her popularity and her climb back to the top etc. But she can't hide from Cyborg forever and Dana knows this. She will fight Cyborg at some point and she will be thoroughly embarrassed. It is what it is. 

Edited by Taylor703

1 hour ago, Taylor703 said:

The major issue was always how much more advanced Ronda was as opposed to the other female fighters due to the infancy of WMMA. She dominated fighters who simply didn't have the background she has. Now with the popularity growing and younger and younger females getting into the sport she's going to see more talented fighters.

This is why I never got behind the idea of her being so amazing. They've carefully hid her from cyborg whilst acting like cyborg actually didn't exist. I mean, I get it. Ronda is pretty and has an attitude that people are attracted too but she was always going to face someone at some point that was going to beat her. She simply isn't all that well-rounded. Tate nearly beat her and I still say Ronda tapped in that fight. 

She'll fight Nunes and if she wins they'll give her a couple more fights so they can capitalize off her popularity and her climb back to the top etc. But she can't hide from Cyborg forever and Dana knows this. She will fight Cyborg at some point and she will be thoroughly embarrassed. It is what it is. 

See my main issue with people's assessment of Rousey is that she just gets beat up in the stand up game. Ronda absolutely thrives against brawlers. At least she has so far.  The reason Holm beat her was because Holm doesn't brawl, she has actual striking technical skills and her footwork is incredible.  Most women in MMA do not come from a boxing or very technical background, and if they claim to, it's mostly what they have picked up in an MMA gym.  Holm had a HOF or at least arguable HOF career in her sport before she ever entered an MMA ring. Just because she didn't come into MMA and dominate from day 1, it didn't mean she wasn't going to run into favorable matcups and Ronda was one for her as long as she could maintain distance.

Nunes is a killer, for sure, but I wouldn't call her stand up technical. For me I think this fight will be won/lost in the clinch.  Rousey has been at a disadvantage in striking against just about every opponent but it hasn't mattered most of the time.  Just like the sport evolved away from BJJ where guys were not learning how to use BJJ just how to defend it, the same thing was Rousey's gameplan against superior strikers, it was a means to distract and draw them in.  The only other female I can think of at 135lbs that is as technical as Holm is the lady she just lost too.  Different discipline of striking but just as technical.

Sidenote: When did Rousey ever almost tap to Tate?  Are you thinking of the Liz Carmouche fight when she had Rousey in the neck crank?

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Hey, was anyone watching Bellator tonight?  I'm a huge Penn State wrestling fan and I missed the debut of Ed Ruth.  I saw he won quick but was wondering how he looked.

got clipped early but bounced back pretty quick and dominated once it hit the ground

He's one of the very best prospects in mma, very interested to see how he progresses