Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King Strikes Again

SkinsNoles21

So Peter King came up with a top ten list of players that should be in the hall of fame. Of course Art Monk was not on that list....You just have to read this beautiful piece of writing and see for yourselves...Here is the part about why Michael Irvin deserves to get in.

3. Michael Irvin, WR, Dallas. Three knocks on Irvin I always hear. 1) He cheated: He held and pass-interfered when the officials couldn't see. 2) He was a mess off the field. 3) Dallas will have Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith (and maybe Larry Allen) in the Hall when this era's team is considered. That's enough. Poppy****. This man was the leader of the Cowboys, pure and simple. The leader. And he was a great player who simply refused to lose. I know it's a clich, but ask anyone around that team -- Aikman, Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones. It's absurd he hasn't made it. And re: the off-the-field stuff, we are not allowed to bring those considerations into the meeting room. Only what happened between the lines should matter. Catching 750 balls for a three-time Super Bowl winner and being the key guy in the locker room on game days ... that should make him a gimme.

yes, Michael Irvin was the leader of the Dallas Cowboys.....uhhhhh....no.

Then there is this guy, who im sure was great but come on...over Art Monk...

6. Charlie Sanders, TE, Detroit. Two big problems with Sanders: He played for a team that lost a lot and never won a title, and he played tight end. People don't know how to look at tight ends. Imagine having a guy who was every bit the blocker of John Mackey -- and who averaged 14.3 yards per catch! Jerry Rice averaged 14.8. Sanders played 10 years at the highest level and he was every bit the player Mackey and Mike Ditka were. Just ask the men who competed against them.

And then, the number one person on this list is Thurman Thomas, who deserves to get in but...4 Super Bowls, no rings...and a loss to Monk and the Skins.

Peter King is obviously smarter than any person on the face of the Earth.

Here is the link to this masterpiece.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-letthemin&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Wow. Charlie Sanders? Really? I guess maybe, I'm not as familiar with him as maybe I should be, but c'mon, a TE from Detroit over a stud receiver with some SB rings? I don't like to believe the whole "media out to get us" thing, but this one really makes you scratch your head.

3. Michael Irvin, WR, Dallas..... And he was a great player who simply refused to lose..

For a player that refused to lose he sure lost a lot. Art Monk had 5 fewer losses in two extra seasons with the Skins...and oh yeah....30 more wins.

Michael Irvin refused to lose when Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith allowed him to refuse to lose.

Edit: I should note that I think Michael Irvin is a HOF player but no way in hell does he go in above Art Monk. I'm sorry he made it difficult for you to do your job when you covered the Giants, Queenie, but seriously dude, get over it.

Irvin was NOT the leader....the leader was arguably Emmitt or Aikman...

You'd be surprised, I think you could make a case for any of them as a leader. Many people believe it was Irvin because he was a get in your face type guy on the sideline. You never saw Troy say too much, Emmitt rarely said anything. But Irvin? He refused to lose. And if you didn't give 110% on every play, he would call you out.

Its not a stretch at all to say Irvin was the leader. Ask any cowboys fan.

Wow. Charlie Sanders? Really? I guess maybe, I'm not as familiar with him as maybe I should be, but c'mon, a TE from Detroit over a stud receiver with some SB rings? I don't like to believe the whole "media out to get us" thing, but this one really makes you scratch your head.

Charlie Sanders was a tremendous player. The fact that he isn't in the HOF after all these years is a testament on how difficult it is to get in. His numbers don't look great compared to numbers today but the fact that he made 7 Pro Bowls on mediocre teams should tell you something.

Catching 750 balls for a three-time Super Bowl winner and being the key guy in the locker room on game days ... that should make him a gimme[/i].

My personal favorite...hey, Pete, what about a key guy in the locker room on game days that caught 940 balls for a three-time Super Bowl winner?

Catching 750 balls for a three-time Super Bowl winner and being the key guy in the locker room on game days ... that should make him a gimme.

Good reasoning, then Art Monk should definately be in! He was not only a three-time Super Bowl champion and leader in the locker room but he caught 940 balls in his career!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good reasoning, then Art Monk should definately be in! He was not only a three-time Super Bowl champion and leader in the locker room but he caught 940 balls in his career!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beat ya in a photo finish on page 1 :silly:

I just can't stand King--cannot stand him. He is really the worst kind of sportswriter--he's a sportswriter who thinks that being a sportswriter entitles him to write about other material, coffee, his daughter, other sports, that most of us just don't care to read from a "football" columnist.

But, what really, really gets me about this guy is is sanctimoniousness. His hoiler-than-thou attitude is unbearable. It kills me that he gets to vote on the HOF. He talks about people who should be in and makes absolutely no mention of the HOGS. How can the most dominant offensive line of its era not have one single solitary player inducted?

Peter King does not view football objectively. He has his favorite teams--cowboys, patriots, his favorite players--any cowboy, brady and favre. And everything he writes is colored and prejudiced by his limited perspective.

What we should stop doing is pretending he is objective. He's not. He's pretty much a mouthpiece for the Cowboys organization. He has no credibility whatsoever. As skins fans, the best thing for us to do would be to simply stop writing him and asking him why our players and team always get the shaft in his B.S. column. Let's not even give him the satisfaction of knowing that he has pissed us off with his nonsense. Let's just try to find the video of him and Jerry Jones making out--it's on the internet...somewhere.

You'd be surprised, I think you could make a case for any of them as a leader. Many people believe it was Irvin because he was a get in your face type guy on the sideline. You never saw Troy say too much, Emmitt rarely said anything. But Irvin? He refused to lose. And if you didn't give 110% on every play, he would call you out.

Its not a stretch at all to say Irvin was the leader. Ask any cowboys fan.

Thats because he was so coked up he was all over the place, that doesnt make him a leader.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Irvin, for the most part a possession WR, a "move the chains" WR, Just Like Art Monk? He basically ran that same curl route, which usually involved some pushing-off, but even if you give him the benefit of the doubt on the pushing off, Irvin's career was basically the 10-15 yard hook route.

Also Irvin himself said Art Monk was one of his heroes and WRs from before his time that he wanted to model himself after.

Thurman THOMAS?

You mean the guy who's ranked 12th in rushing yards and 28th in rushing TDs?

You mean the guy who went to four SBs and rushed for 13, 19 and 37 yards in three of them?

He's number ONE on the list?

Thurman THOMAS?

You mean the guy who went to four SBs and rushed for 13, 19 and 37 yards in three of them?

Let's not forget when he "lost" his helmet during the SB and couldn't even get on the field--that, to me, is the true mark of a HOF player.

Thurman THOMAS?

Yup.

Let's also continue that train of thought and use some more of Pete's criteria.

You mean the guy who does not have a "signature" play or even season?

You mean the guy who wasn't even considered the best runner of his era (Sanders and Smith were)?

You mean the guy who wasn't even the most important person on his offense (Kelly was)?

Archived