Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King Strikes Again

SkinsNoles21

:sucks:

Who cares what King says. We all know he doesn't like Monk for the Hall of Fame and lets all get over it and hope that Monk gets in without his support. Isn't everybody tired of talking about King and how he does not feel Monk should be in the Hall of Fame.

Edit: I should note that I think Michael Irvin is a HOF player but no way in hell does he go in above Art Monk. I'm sorry he made it difficult for you to do your job when you covered the Giants, Queenie, but seriously dude, get over it.

You my friend are a Homer

Irvin played 80 less games and had only 800 less yards and 3 less TDs.

Monk averaged 4.2 catches a game, 56.8 yards a game and 1 td every 3 games

Irvin averaged 4.7 catches a game, 74.9 yards a game and 1 td every 2.5 games

Seems to me that Irvin is far better

oh yeah and in the playoffs

Monk

15 games 69 catches and 1062 yards with 7 tds (no tds in 3 superbowls)

Irvin

16 games 87 catches and 1314 yards with 8 tds (3 tds in 3 superbowls)

If you guys know anything Micheal Irvin was a leader of those Dallas Cowboy temas. This coming from a Redskins Fan.

Just because you are the most vocal doesn't mean you are the biggest leader. I'm not saying that Irvin wasn't a leader but I guarantee that if Aikman had told him to shut up in the huddle he would have shut up. It's no coincidence that Michael Irvin stunk as a player before Aikman and Smith were there and he only scored 1 TD the year that Aikman was injured (1998).

Monk

Irvin

:doh:

Trust me. It's been covered.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143779&highlight=irvin+monk

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143016&highlight=irvin+monk

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130916&highlight=irvin+monk

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90737&highlight=irvin+monk

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88285&highlight=irvin+monk

Just because you are the most vocal doesn't mean you are the biggest leader. I'm not saying that Irvin wasn't a leader but I guarantee that if Aikman had told him to shut up in the huddle he would have shut up. It's no coincidence that Michael Irvin stunk as a player before Aikman and Smith were there and he only scored 1 TD the year that Aikman was injured (1998).

Irvin had Pelleur and Aikman in his first two years throwing to him while Monk had theisman a veteran for 6-7 years throwing to him.

Keep in mind I read on here all the time that Lloyd's numbers suck because he had a bad QB throwing to him. So if thats the case then the same has to go to Irvin

Irvin had Pelleur and Aikman in his first two years throwing to him while Monk had a veteran for 6-7 years throwing to him.

Keep in mind I read on here all the time that Lloyd's numbers suck because he had a bad QB throwing to him. So if thats the case then the same has to go to Irvin

Well, Irvin's numbers were not very good his first 3 years when the QB situation was in flux. When Aikman settled in (1991) thats when Irvin's numbers took off.

Art never had the same kind of consistant good QB play like Irvin had for 9 years (91-99). Art had a couple of great Theismann years, one good Schroeder year, and a couple of good Rypien years.

Monk

Irvin

Congrats you can cherry pick stats. You can rationalize any arguement. Doesn't make you right. Not by a long shot. Homer or not I'd take Monk 7 days a week and twice on sunday if I could get away with it. You can take Irvin turn him sideways and shove him somewhere creative for all I care. You don't even really know what monk was. The man was money moving the chains. Defenses knew where he was going and how he was gonna get there and STILL he'd get the 1st and he'd do it over and over. What he did for us was more valuable than a 1000 goofy circus catches. Your just too dense to get it. Take your weak stats and get to steppin...

Irvin had Pelleur and Aikman in his first two years throwing to him while Monk had a veteran for 6-7 years throwing to him.

Irvin had Aikman for practically his entire career. You do not want to compare that to Monk, who had Theismann then Schroeder then Williams then Rypien then Gannon/Conklin then someone from the Jets then someone from the Eagles.

Irvin was on the same offense with the same skill position players for years, while Monk was adapting to new teammates all the time. Monk was the only starting skill position player on the Redskins to get three rings. Compare that to Irvin, who had Aikman, Smith, Novacek and Johnston to play with for all his Superbowls.

It's not even close, dude. Monk had a far FAR bigger hurdle to jump in this area.

Monk

Irvin

How about you break down the number of catches and receiving yards that each era had and let me know the results.

From 1920 to 1989 there was exactly one receiver who had 100+ receptions in a season (Art Monk 106 in 1984). Here are the numbers of receivers that have hit the 100 reception plateau since 1990 when they started enforcing the 5 yard no chuck rule:

1990-1

1991-1

1992-1

1993-1

1994-3

1995-9

1996-3

1997-2

1998-0

1999-2

2000-4

2001-6

2002-5

2003-4

2004-1

2005-4

Total-46

In Monk's record breaking year of 1984 he had 106 receptions. The next closest receiver had 89. In Irvin's best season the 9th best receiver that year had over 100 receptions. Add this to the fact that Monk held three major receiving records when his career with the Skins was over and the fact that Michael Irvin has never even sniffed an NFL record should tell you how different their eras were.

But keep on comparing apples to oranges. It's something you Cowboy fans are good at.

We haven't had a good argument in a long time. No really good brouhahas, not even over my Dallas-to-win-the-Super Bowl pick. So as we head into the summer football doldrums, let's invent a nice little controversy.

Let's argue over who among the eligible coaches and players most deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I've got my list ready. Get yours and let's brawl.

This is exactly the reaction Pking is looking for. He must be lonely. IMO both Irvin and Monk should go in to the HOF. I just think Monk should go in first.

EDIT: And for the record, of course Monk is the better WR.

Charlie Sanders was a tremendous player. The fact that he isn't in the HOF after all these years is a testament on how difficult it is to get in. His numbers don't look great compared to numbers today but the fact that he made 7 Pro Bowls on mediocre teams should tell you something.

We had our own great TE in Jerry Smith who was a TD magnet during his career scoring 60 TD's. He most definately deserves consideration for the Hall.

Imagine growing up on Stub Toe Lane. Guests coming in from out of town and as you give them directions you have to say, "Then take a left onto Stub Toe Lane. That's our street. Number 16. Red house on the right.'' And the person on the other end of the phone can't hear you for laughing so hard.

yawnasm.gif

pkbs.jpg-

Irvin had Aikman for practically his entire career. You do not want to compare that to Monk, who had Theismann then Schroeder then Williams then Rypien then Gannon/Conklin then someone from the Jets then someone from the Eagles.

Irvin was on the same offense with the same skill position players for years, while Monk was adapting to new teammates all the time. Monk was the only starting skill position player on the Redskins to get three rings. Compare that to Irvin, who had Aikman, Smith, Novacek and Johnston to play with for all his Superbowls.

It's not even close, dude. Monk had a far FAR bigger hurdle to jump in this area.

I just like to watch Henry go off on this subject!!!! :cool:

The most damning thing for me in this Monk vs Irvin debate is that Michael Irvin has said that Monk is the player most deserving the HOF. They asked him on cold pizza when the debate was hot in the national media.

the most deserving of players shunned by the HOF commitee. They asked him who the player not in the HOF who deserved to be and irving's reply was Monk.

Irvin was NOT the leader....the leader was arguably Emmitt or Aikman...

And you know this how?

Irvin was the most vocal player on the team, and if you know anything about those teams, it was Irvin that kicked people into gear.

Art Monk should probably be in the HOF, but over Irving, get outta here! His numbers speak for themself. I say we all get on the same page and get Lynn Swann out, and I guess just this once, collaberate and replace him with Irvin and Monk.

I usually hate to pile on, but I just can't believe that this guy is a HOF voter. I know in my heart that Art Monk belongs on or near the top of anyone's list of players who should be in the HOF. Yet it's clear that this ignoramus will never vote for him. And no Russ Grimm on his list, either? This clown is UFB!

Archived