Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art Monk - Greatest WR of all-time.

Bryan81

I know there are already posts like this, and it is only my 81st, but I could think of no more fitting way to post then to have the 81st dedicated to Art Monk. To me he was Jerry Rice before there was a Jerry Rice & is still better then him in my opinion as he always had others to share the ball with & never had anybody the likes of Steve Young or Joe Montana throwing his way. Let's get Art in the Hall of Fame. :helmet:

Yes i agree. Art Monk is the man. He ripped some of the best defenses ever. He deserves to be in the hall of fame. Completely hatred agaisnt the washigton redskins. If he was a cowboy he would defenitly be in. Im sick and tired of the nfl being bias againts the redskins.

I know there are already posts like this, and it is only my 81st, but I could think of no more fitting way to post then to have the 81st dedicated to Art Monk. To me he was Jerry Rice before there was a Jerry Rice & is still better then him in my opinion as he always had others to share the ball with & never had anybody the likes of Steve Young or Joe Montana throwing his way. Let's get Art in the Hall of Fame. :helmet:

Creative.. I don't agree really.. In my eyes there is Jerry Rice and Art Monk and then there is everyone else.. Both of them were on a level no one else was imo.

I would argee he is the greatest ever, if you look at what he did and when he did it, he catch 100+ balls in a year before it was commonplace, played on mostly run first teams, shared with field with other quality receivers (3 receivers with 1000+ yards in one season) and caught passes from several different QB's, Rice played a pass first offense never really had other recievers to share the ball with and had two HOF QB's throwing him the ball.

While no doubt that he is one of the best WR to ever play the game, Art Monk wasn't even the greatest WR to ever play for the Redskins, that honor belongs to C. Taylor or maybe Bobby Mitchell (although I never saw him play). Even though Taylor had Sonny throwing to him, offensive linemen were not allowed to hold unlike today, defensive linemen could beat the crap out of the o-line and the basic coverage technique was to knock the WR down and sit on him.

I think the sentiment of this thread is enthusiastic, but is a bit carried away. Rice was simply unstoppable for long stretches in his career. I love monk (heck, my user name attests to as much). He was the definition of consistency, class, and performance. He set standards that no one before his time (or during his time) had achieved. Of course he should be in the hall of fame. But, come on... better than Rice. Entire defenses had to account for Rice, at all costs, and still failed.

I think Monk might be able to go toe to toe with any WR in history... except Rice. But, not Rice... the comparison is a real reach.

Greatest of ALL TIME???? Ummm....

Great but not that great. Somewhere Jerry Rice is upset by this thread. :D

I agree with you there. Monk was one of the greatest redskins receivers of all time, but he wasn't even a perennial pro-bowler. I can name atleast 5-10 receivers in the NFL right now that are better than Monk. I hope he makes the hall of fame, but in my mind, he's not even a top 10 all-time. If he were a top-10 all time, he would be in the HOF now.

I think the important thing when comparing Monk to other receivers is the era in which he played. Just like in baseball, when 500 home runs would guarantee you the HOF...now it's not that impressive considering the pace that some baseball players are on now. Yeah, 942 receptions is great, but in 15 years from now there will probably be a dozen players over 1,000, and you may not be able to put them all in the HOF.

But when you think about the ERA in which Monk played most of his career, 942 IS VER IMPRESSIVE. He'll eventually get into the HOF, but compared to today's receiver, I don't think it's fair to compare.

Marvin Harrison, T.O., Moss, Fitzgerald...these guys are all more physically gifter than Monk was and all will have HOF type numbers. But today's NFL is a more pass happy league. Didn't Lynn Swann have like 500 recptions? Yeah, he won Super Bowls, but so did Monk. Swann may not even make a team in today's NFL. It's just an example about ERAS.

LOL at best of all time. It's really not even close.

Jerry Rice

Chris Carter

Randy Moss

Terrell Owens

Marvin Harrison

All clearly better than Monk and that's just this era's WRs.

Art Monk is somewhere in the next group of WRs with guys like Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe and Michael Irvin.

Pro bowls shouldn't mean squat when induction time comes....

Didn't Jeremiah trotter get in the pro bowl after playiong what 7 games..?

That's just a load of ****!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what if Monk made the prowl bowl 3 times!

He broke Steve largents record to become the all-time reciever in receptions..

He's the first reciever ever to have 100 catches in a season(in a run first formula I might add...)

And what would his numbers look like if he was all there was at WR during those era's?

It's a popularity contest just like the HOF seems to be directing towards..!

In my opinion there's only 2 WR better than monk...

Jerry rice and Don Hutson!

That's it!

Monk is the 3rd best WR to ever play the game!

Yes...even better than Bobby mitchell and Charley Taylor...

And it's rediculous that he is not in the HOF!Simple...

Archived