Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 4 NFC East -- Head Coaches (2006)

ouvan59

Is the Comprehensive Bill in the Senate a Temporary Guest Worker Program?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is the Comprehensive Bill in the Senate a Temporary Guest Worker Program?

• Yes
    • No

The question was simply "Who is the best coach in the NFC East".

There's really no qualifying statements to add. So based on that question, who is the best coach? Think of it this way, if all 4 were to quit this moment, who would be remembered as the best one? second best one?

You can spin any way you want, but statistics and achievements are the only way to prove this type of thing.

So Gibbs wins again, :laugh:

The Parcells vs Gibbs debate is so good because the Parcells vs Gibbs rivalry is so good. These two coaching legends (one HOFer and one future HOfer) have a quite a storied history together, and the final chapters have yet to be written. Gibbs said of Parcells, "I could have had a couple more Super Bowl rings if it wasn't for that guy."

Indeed, Parcell's Giants and Gibb's Redskins were the perennial NFC East powerhouses of the 80's. During that time, Parcells beat Gibbs more than Gibbs beat Parcells, but Gibbs won more Championships. The back-and-forth personal rivalry between the two was heated back then and continues to this day, with both coaches handing the other a sweep in the two years since the rivalry has been renewed.

So, who is the better coach? That question probably won't be sufficiently answered until they have both retired for good. However, most major statistical indicators clearly favor Gibbs:

Gibbs' regular season record: 140-76 (.648)

Parcell's regular season record: 163-123 (.570)

Gibbs' postseason record: 17-6 (.739)

Parcell's postseasn record: 11-7 (.611)

Gibbs' Conference Championships: 4

Parcell's Conference Championships: 3

Gibbs' Super Bowl Championships: 3

Parcell's Super Bowl Championships: 2

Gibbs' most recent season: 10-6 & 1-1

Parcell's most recent season: 9-7

These statistics clearly show Gibbs to be the better of two great coaches, but there is one major statistic that I would be remiss in forgetting (I am actually shocked that WeOwnYou hasn't brought this up yet, as it is the only reason I can see to favor Parcells): Parcells is 14-11 all time against Gibbs, including a victory in their only post-season meeting. I believe this is the only reason why the rivalry between the two remains so intense, because otherwise Gibbs is clearly the better coach. As a matter of fact, I think Parcell's return to the NFC East is a big part of why Gibbs returned. Call it an old vandeta.

Right now, after last season's sweep, Gibbs seems to have the upper hand in the now legendary rivalry. I look forward to the next Chapter in this story. I hope its as good as the last one (and I know WeOwnYou vividly remembers how that one went).

GREAT INFO, the thing about is..trying to make a point to a Cowboy fan is like trying to walk on water, it just doesn't work.

I will take the rings and championships over a head to head record any day, again great info.

Guest santana4prez

OK guys im sorry I was gone and missed this great thread. Let me get to the good parts and answer them so I can see how you guys respond.

Parcells.......turned too many franchises around not to call him the best. Its really not all that close.

Gibbs..........won 3 superbowls with one franchise.

Reid......someone has to be third

Coughlin...someone has to be fourth.

Turned franchises around to not winning Super Bowls. He only won a title with the Giants he slowed down after that. Parcells had a great team and got wins but after he left the Giants he has sucked more and more with each passing year. Lets go to the facts.....

Giants - 2 Super Bowl Titles

Pats - Super Bowl loss

Jets - AFC Title game loss

Cowboys - Playoff loss

That shows the reason Parcells was good was in part because of the great Giants teams and not his actual coaching. Parcells is a good coach but he is not great.

I don't know if Gibbs could turn around 3 different franchises, Gibbs had a great 10-12 year run, then when he saw the cowboys getting very good, he bailed.

That is a homer statement. The Skins whipped your Boys since Gibbs was head coach. He left because of a burn out and wanted to spend time with his family. As stated by another poster earlier your team lost to the Lions in the playoffs in 1992 during our Super Bowl year. Too bad you brokebackers couldnt get to the NFC Title game so we could beat yall up like we did the Lions. You guys lost to the team we whipped twice that year if you would of faced us in the title game it would of been blowout city and your Boys would of been 0-3 vs the Skins in the biggest games we can play.

3 of your 6 losses last year came from teams that didn't make the playoffs.

1 out of our 7 losses were to teams that didn't make the playoffs. The Rams, last game of the year. I know all of you chalk up the loss last year to the giants to an "emotional victory" for the giants because of the death of thier owner, so if you're gonna use that as an excuse, I'm going to use this.......20 minutes before gametime, we found out we coulnl't make the playoffs. Now I ask you............you want to talk about an "emotional" let down.

If you use it for your loss to the giants, I can use it for our loss against the rams. Simple as that.

So now who has done a better coaching job? A guy who clearly doesn't get his guys up for games against inferior talent? Or a coach who doesn't let his team play down to the competition?

Another thing........When Gibbs can win a game vs the AFC (0-8), come talk to me about "The best coach in the NFC East". Cause right now, the AFC Owns Gibbs.

Spin away boys !!!!!!!!!!!!

This whole post makes no sense. You say the Skins lost to more non playoff teams well ok. How about we flip it and you look at how tuff the Skins schedule was last season. The Skins had 1 of the hardest schedules in the league and you think those losses to non playoff teams matter? We made the playoffs yall didnt. We swept your team and then knocked you guys out. I wish I was in the Boys locker room before the game and see them rooting against the Skins only to be let down again. I guess you have to root for the Eagles to beat us because your team cant. The AFC thing is funny because you can have that stat because if the Skins go 10-6 every year I hope 4 of those losses are to AFC teams. I guess you dont realize tiebreakers in the NFL. Those AFC games dont mean **** compared to the NFC ones. The Skins got in the playoffs last season and that is the bottom line while your team choked down the stretch.

Call me crazy, but I don't call an 8-12 losing record to Parcells "owning" him.

That's probably just facts getting in the way again, though.

OK I can admit Parcells has a better record but was it really his coaching or was it LT and the Giants? I mean look at Gibbs and Parcells careers and also look at Parcells after he left the Giants. Trust me a 4 game edge in head to head dosent make him the better coach. Gibbs is the better coach because he had a better winning % a better playoff % and more SB Titles. A 8-12 head to head record is only a small piece of the overall picture. So Spurrier is 1-0 vs Belichick does that mean Spurrier is a better coach?

I thought the question was who was better for 2006? You can post everything you want about compiled records and superbowls but you should look at the FACTS.

-FACT: Gibbs wasn't comfortable with his own performance over his first two years so he had to hire someone to rescue him on offense.

-FACT: Gibbs has problems with the new system of challenges and time management.

-FACT: Gibbs has nothing to do with the defense.

What are you left with? At least the other 3 coaches in the division actually hands on and not in just the mere managerial role that Gibbs has taken on.

OK lets answer your facts with facts if you want to look ahead to 2006...

- Fact: Gibbs had the 11th best offense last season and also swept your Eagles Parcells Cowboys and tied Coughlins Giants. Gibbs had the best NFC East record last season as well. The fact Saunders is calling the plays dosent mean Gibbs couldnt all he did was bring in another coach to make a good offense better. Your team had a offensive coord. and lost him to Minny so does that mean Reid is worthless? Gibbs will still be a big part in the offense and the team this season trust me. Saunders makes the calls but in crunch time its Gibbs decision trust me. Play Calling isnt the only thing that makes a head coach.

Fact: Gibbs had problems his first year and none last year. So the outlook is pretty good for 2006-07

Fact: Gibbs dosent need to be running the defense to be a good head coach. If you care that much about that fire Jim Johnson and get Reids overweight ass down there since you want to knock Gibbs.

The only reason you weren't embarrassed out of the stadium is William's Defense.

Gibb's offense was simply embarrassing.

But, lets add a notch to Gibb's resume.

Check the injuries. The fact the Bucs had the #1 defense and the fact Portis didnt play most of the game. We still won and put up 35 on them earlier in the season. Gibbs managed the offense great for everything that was going on. He knew the defense could back his offense and made the calls he had to make. We won and your team wasnt even in the playoffs. We had injuries and got to the 2nd Rd you guys had injuries and went 6-10. Who is the better coach?

For whatever it's worth, while temporarily removing my own opinion, ESPN recently did one of the greatest lists involving coaches and they had Parcells ranked higher than Gibbs. So outside of ES land it's not such a slam dunk. I have tons of respect for Gibbs but winning not one but two SB's in strike shortened seasons does taint his accomplishments if only slightly. It could be argued that Parcells going to 3 SB's winning two and taking 4 different teams to the playoffs trumps Gibbs? Everyone will have their opinions though

I look at the overall records of the coaches and what they have done and not a network who use to have Parcells as one of there media guys. The fact that Parcells took 4 different teams to the playoffs dosent mean jack when you compare Gibbs coached the Skins for 12 years in his first stint and had players in and out and still won SB Titles with different schemes. He also just took the Skins back to the playoffs in his second year back with the Skins.

Why would a strike shortened season filled with scab mailmen, plumbers, and stock boys taint a SB run within it? Do I have to answer that? :(

It didnt taint nothing. The top teams still made the playoffs hell even more teams than usual because of the strike. I know you have to find an excuse to make Gibbs look bad but I guess the fact he whipped your teams ass in the NFC Title game that year means nothing.

I had truly forgotten that game. Oddly enough, I'll never forget when we beating Doug Williams and the skins at RFK was our sole win for the '89 season. Selective memory? I guess. :laugh: O.K., you made your point but still an odd and maybe tainted season nonetheless.

Ill take the Skins winning with scab players in 87 and going on to win a SB over a memory of a team beating a rival but went 1-15. Talk about you Titles not a 1 win season. That makes you Boys fans look cheap.

No offense to anyone I quoted but I have been a non-homer in every Top -# Thread. I put TO #1 for WRs and FA moves. I also had Glenn #3 at WR and Lavar Arrington as the 2nd best FA pickup. I put 2 Eagles and a Cowboy ahead of Rocky McIntosh in the rookie list as well. I am honest when I make these threads and state my opinions but it seems you rival fans always put your players and coaches #1 in everything on this board. In this one thread I am going to stick up for Joe Gibbs because he is the best coach out of the 4 and that dosent mean the other 3 coaches are bad and you guys can have your opinions. I just wanted to point out that maybe for once yall will be honest instead of backing your teams colors.

santana4prezs NFC East Head Coach Rankings

1. Gibbs

2. Parcells

3. Reid

4. Coughlin

GREAT INFO, the thing about is..trying to make a point to a Cowboy fan is like trying to walk on water, it just doesn't work.

I will take the rings and championships over a head to head record any day, again great info.

Thanx for the feedback. :)

No offense to anyone I quoted but I have been a non-homer in every Top -# Thread. I put TO #1 for WRs and FA moves. I also had Glenn #3 at WR and Lavar Arrington as the 2nd best FA pickup. I put 2 Eagles and a Cowboy ahead of Rocky McIntosh in the rookie list as well. I am honest when I make these threads and state my opinions but it seems you rival fans always put your players and coaches #1 in everything on this board. In this one thread I am going to stick up for Joe Gibbs because he is the best coach out of the 4 and that dosent mean the other 3 coaches are bad and you guys can have your opinions. I just wanted to point out that maybe for once yall will be honest instead of backing your teams colors.
Yo, you put some work into that. Good post. Hopefully all the homers you refuted will come back so we can get another slugfest going. I love a debate where our side is so clearly right!

Sorry thought you were a cowboy fan lol. Reid was last, based off last season and if you look at his overall career, you'll see he's not even in the same world as Gibbs. Don't even try and put Reid ahead of Gibbs or Parcells. It would only show your stupidity :D

reid should not be last. he should be 3rd and coughlin should def. be last. coughlin has never won much of anything that is important (playoffs). reid has at least made a super bowl, even though he didnt win.

there is no way to argue the following rankings

1. gibbs

2. parcells

3. reid

4. coughlin

reid should not be last. he should be 3rd and coughlin should def. be last. coughlin has never won much of anything that is important (playoffs). reid has at least made a super bowl, even though he didnt win.

there is no way to argue the following rankings

1. gibbs

2. parcells

3. reid

4. coughlin

This is why I had Reid last, b/c I'm just basing it off of LAST SEASON, going into 2006. I posted this in the page before this 1

Well if you base it off 2006, we haven't seen the 2006 season yet so who knows, but if your basing it off who's the best going into 2006 you gotta give it to

1. Coughlin (won the division)

2. Gibbs (went 11-7 w/ 1 playoff win and 1 playoff loss)

3. Parcells ( just missing the playoffs)

4. Reid ( team was split up b/c of T.O. and Mcnabb was hurt)

Nothing wrong w/ your rankings based off of OVERALL coaching years :cheers:

This is why I had Reid last, b/c I'm just basing it off of LAST SEASON, going into 2006. I posted this in the page before this 1

Well if you base it off 2006, we haven't seen the 2006 season yet so who knows, but if your basing it off who's the best going into 2006 you gotta give it to

except Gibbs' Skins advanced in the playoffs, where the Giants got shut out

1. Gibbs

I got sick and tired of Cowpukes fans saying that Gibbs is overrated and that Parcells is the superior coach. Numbers don't lie:

GIBBS PARCELLS

140-76 Regular Season 163-123-1

17-6 Postseason 11-7

66% Winning % 57%

3 Super Bowls 2

N/A Cup Size Full C

hahahahaha

:logo:

Didn't Gibbs win 11 games last year?

Reid is a fat slob who opportunistically dominated a weak division for a few seasons. The competition is back, and Philly will be back in the gutter where it belongs! Just typing the name of that city makes me feel dirty!

:eaglesuck

We won 10 games last year. If we had won 11 we would have been the divison champs, played the Panthers in the first round (in Washington). If we had won, we would have gone on the play the Bears, then Seahawks, then Steelers. But since we won 10, we lost to Seattle in the second round.

We won 10 games last year. If we had won 11 we would have been the divison champs, played the Panthers in the first round (in Washington). If we had won, we would have gone on the play the Bears, then Seahawks, then Steelers. But since we won 10, we lost to Seattle in the second round.

Oops, my mistake, I thought you were talking about the regular season only. Sorry bout that.

Oops, my mistake, I thought you were talking about the regular season only. Sorry bout that.

I did the same thing, lol. If you count reg. season and playoffs we went 11-7. 1 playoff win and 1 playoff loss.

"Parcells.......turned too many franchises around not to call him the best. Its really not all that close.

Gibbs..........won 3 superbowls with one franchise.

Reid......someone has to be third

Coughlin...someone has to be fourth."

Parcells won 2 SB's with Belichick and then retired. He came back and has coached 3 teams while turning into a second rate Marty Schottenheimer clone.

Schottenheimer 12 playoff appearances in 20 seasons= 0 SB wins

Parcells post NYG 4 playoff appearances in 10 seasons= 0 SB wins

Coughlin 5 playoff appearances in 10 seasons= 0 SB wins

Reid 5 playoff appearances in 7 seasons= 0 SB wins. He also blew 4 chances that Gibbs would have never blown if he ever had the chance in a weak division.

if your basing it off who's the best going into 2006 you gotta give it to

Washington won a road playoff game 17-10 in Tampa while the Giants got their asses handed to them at home 23-0. Dallas lost 4 of 6 to miss the playoffs including that 35-0 win in Washington (yeah it was really 35-7 but those 7 meant nothing). And Reid and the Eagles are just not that good in a tough division.

Gibbs

Coughlin

Parcells

Reid

All this talk about the mid-90's Cowboys rolling over a Gibbs-led team is ridiculous. Anyone else remember when the Redskins went 3-13? Two of those wins were against the soon-to-be-Super Bowl champion Dallas Cowboys. In fact, we're the *ONLY* team to have a losing record and sweep the Super Bowl champions in the same season.

What does this mean? Even at your best and our worst, Dallas, we're still better than you.:dallasuck :dallasuck

Being non-homer about it, this thread had an impressive accumulation of points that effectively settle the Gibbs over Parcells (not to mention the others) debate at this point in time. The Parcells side loses. Let's see that the future keeps it a loss and adds to its degree.

Can't we say that Bilicheck hasn't won a SB without Crenell and or Weiss? Works the same way right? Why not? I can't argue with opinions that Gibbs is the best in the division but the HOF credential is a bit skewed given that Gibbs has allowed himself enough time away from the game whereas Parcells (a sure fire lock) has not.

Perhaps, but Belichick will have to go a while without winning another title before that arguement could be made. Prior to Belichick's remarkable run with the Pats, I never had a problem with putting Parcells high up there on the list of all time coaches (never above Gibbs though). But after seeing what Belichick has done and then going back over Parcells' history and noticing that Bill Parcells has yet to field a Super Bowl team without Belichick, my feelings are that Parcells isn't nearly as "great" as others make him out to be. This of course all changes if Parcells does indeed get the Cowboys to a Super Bowl.

I don't disagree that Parcells will be in the HOF. Unfortunately that too will be slightly tainted in my eyes. Parcells has alot of sycophants and boot lickers in the media and since they're the ones who decide who gets in, I don't doubt for one second that Parcells gets in and probably will get in quicker than Gibbs did (3 seasons after retirement).

Archived