Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 4 NFC East -- Head Coaches (2006)

ouvan59

Is the Comprehensive Bill in the Senate a Temporary Guest Worker Program?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is the Comprehensive Bill in the Senate a Temporary Guest Worker Program?

• Yes
    • No

so then a POWERFUL LOSS means more I guess when your at home on PLAYSTATION!

Make sense next time.

Fair enough. Your defense played well. I guess you should be proud of that offensive output.

Almost as proud of your teams overall play the last two games of the season, when they needed a WIN to even make the playoffs. :laugh:

The Parcells vs Gibbs debate is so good because the Parcells vs Gibbs rivalry is so good. These two coaching legends (one HOFer and one future HOfer) have a quite a storied history together, and the final chapters have yet to be written. Gibbs said of Parcells, "I could have had a couple more Super Bowl rings if it wasn't for that guy."

Indeed, Parcell's Giants and Gibb's Redskins were the perennial NFC East powerhouses of the 80's. During that time, Parcells beat Gibbs more than Gibbs beat Parcells, but Gibbs won more Championships. The back-and-forth personal rivalry between the two was heated back then and continues to this day, with both coaches handing the other a sweep in the two years since the rivalry has been renewed.

So, who is the better coach? That question probably won't be sufficiently answered until they have both retired for good. However, most major statistical indicators clearly favor Gibbs:

Gibbs' regular season record: 140-76 (.648)

Parcell's regular season record: 163-123 (.570)

Gibbs' postseason record: 17-6 (.739)

Parcell's postseasn record: 11-7 (.611)

Gibbs' Conference Championships: 4

Parcell's Conference Championships: 3

Gibbs' Super Bowl Championships: 3

Parcell's Super Bowl Championships: 2

Gibbs' most recent season: 10-6 & 1-1

Parcell's most recent season: 9-7

These statistics clearly show Gibbs to be the better of two great coaches, but there is one major statistic that I would be remiss in forgetting (I am actually shocked that WeOwnYou hasn't brought this up yet, as it is the only reason I can see to favor Parcells): Parcells is 14-11 all time against Gibbs, including a victory in their only post-season meeting. I believe this is the only reason why the rivalry between the two remains so intense, because otherwise Gibbs is clearly the better coach. As a matter of fact, I think Parcell's return to the NFC East is a big part of why Gibbs returned. Call it an old vandeta.

Right now, after last season's sweep, Gibbs seems to have the upper hand in the now legendary rivalry. I look forward to the next Chapter in this story. I hope its as good as the last one (and I know WeOwnYou vividly remembers how that one went).

I spent a long time on this, and I doubt anybody read it since they were so busy yelling at eachother.:mad:

Sometimes I don't know why I waste time saying anything thoughtful in the stadium.

Reid and Parcells call their own plays. Gibbs used to, before he figured out it wasn't his forte now that he can't call the same play 15 times in a row like the 80s so he hired Saunders.

So are you saying that Gregg Williams is suspect because Greg Blache or Jerry Gray were brought in? Gibbs is team President, GM and Head Coach. How much of that does Andy Reid do? Sean Payton did some play calling for the Cowboys as well. Down the stretch last year against Parcells, Coughlin and Reid the Skins scored 35, 35 and 31 points. I'm guess Gibbs' headset was dialed in to Al Saunders then. I think the fact that Gibbs has the huevos to bring in an Al Saunders is truly laudable.

It is hysterical the lengths you guys will stoop to to try to spin something negatively.

Almost as proud of your teams overall play the last two games of the season, when they needed a WIN to even make the playoffs. :laugh:

And I said that I'm proud of the way they performed last year, didn't I?

Sheesh.

I guess making up arguments is a good way to win them, since you're only arguing with yourself. Enjoy.

so then a POWERFUL LOSS means more I guess when your at home on PLAYSTATION!

You needed a win in the last game of the season and came out horribly flat against the JV Eagles.....trailed at the half to a Mike McMahon led offense.

Let's be honest here.

So does Parcells get mad respect because he took a perennial 5-11 team to the playoffs, and completely re-made the roster in the past two years? Because I really don't see that happening here.

Instead, I see the weakest playoff win OF ALL TIME trumpeted as some badge of honor.

I mean, I know it's been tough for both our teams recently, but it is still all about the super bowl, isn't it?

Until one of them wins it, or at the very least gets there, they're not going to deserve all the praise they get right now.

Pardon me for not considering losing to the eventual super-bowl runner-ups (just like WE did in 2003) any sort of feather in your cap....

Weakest playoff win of all-time? The Redskins did what they had to do to win a playoff game on the road. All-time? I can assure you that's not the case...

Why are you on a Redskins board arguing this in the first place?

Why did the offense have a bad day with all the talent you have on that side of the ball?

Why won't anyone admit that Gibbs got outschemed.....BADLY?

As I already said, Gibbs is not a schemer he is a leader. Norv Turner, Steve Spurrier, and Mike Martz are schemers. Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, and Joe Gibbs are leaders.;)

Weakest playoff win of all-time? The Redskins did what they had to do to win a playoff game on the road. All-time? I can assure you that's not the case...

I assure you it is.

Link.

The victory was the sixth straight for the Redskins (11-6), who won despite gaining only 120 yards on offense -- the lowest total in NFL history for a winning team in a postseason game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

I don't make things up.

Why did the offense have a bad day with all the talent you have on that side of the ball?

because HE DIDn't

Brunell was injured... you know that excuse you keep using about the 05 eagles. So Gibbs played conservative, field position football. having faith in his defense. Only a fool would try to go out and put an already hurt Brunell (and Portis) at futher risk with a wide open game plan, when he didn't need to, especially on the road.

Earlier in the year against the same team, the Skins racked up 35, because they had to, the defense was hurting and not doing the job.

I realize you are just trying to get a rise out of Skins fans... but there is a point you start acting like an idiot.

YOUR CREDIBILITY IS NOW SUSPECT

THRASH-injured

Patten- OUT

Randy Thomas-OUT

RAY BROWN- left game-OUT

Portis-playin HURT-shoulder

Brunell- hurt knee

EALES ORGANIZATION-AT HOME WATCHING US!!!!

I assure you it is.

Link.

The victory was the sixth straight for the Redskins (11-6), who won despite gaining only 120 yards on offense -- the lowest total in NFL history for a winning team in a postseason game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

I don't make things up.

you dob't??? where does it say weakest?

The defense was strong, very strong... and the last time I checked it takes an offense and defense to win a game.Was the the offense that day impressive... no... did it have to be?... no... and as stated above with so many injuries alreday on offense.... the plan was to win with defense, and play conservative offense.

you dob't??? where does it say weakest?

The defense was strong, very strong... and the last time I checked it takes an offense and defense to win a game.Was the the offense that day impressive... no... did it have to be?... no... and as stated above with so many injuries alreday on offense.... the plan was to win with defense, and play conservative offense.

My adjective was open to interpretation, I apologize. I simply figured it was well-known that it was the worst offensive output of all time in a playoff win.

That's weak to me. Something tells me that wasn't exactly the plan.

The only reason you weren't embarrassed out of the stadium is William's Defense.

Gibb's offense was simply embarrassing.

But, lets add a notch to Gibb's resume.

You mean Gibbs' Redskins. If play calling was all that a HC was responsible for then it would be called the Norv Turner trophy instead of Vince Lombardi. But it's not. The HC is more responsible for the overall team preparedness and psyche and ability to win. Vince Lombardi did not call plays or run the defense.

And the fact that you guys try to turn a road playoff victory against the #1 defense in the NFL into a negative is laughable. It is not only a notch in Gibbs' resume. It is a big notch. To state anything other than that shows your total lack of football knowledge.

I didn't say this....

I did say this. The offense seen in 05 was extremely different than the terrible, irrelevant offense Gibbs ran in 04. Quite a bit of responsibility for that should go to Musgrave, for retooling the offense, putting in the shotgun, and using more west coast principles. I salute Gibbs for subjugating his ego - I just don't understand the need to give him credit for the transformation.

The only part he changed was adding the shot gun... that's it.. and if you know history so well, you'd realize Gibbs had used the Shotgun before... long before Musgrave ever played in the NFL, much less coached.

The biggest changes on offense last season, was the improved OL, with Jansens return, a Wr who actually ran the correct routes, and had the speed to get seperation, and the improvement of the run game.

I know my history, bubba. No need for the recap of Gibbs coaching career. :D

Funny, by some of your posts, it's hard to tell you know much of anything about football in general :laugh:

You mean Gibbs' Redskins. If play calling was all that a HC was responsible for then it would be called the Norv Turner trophy instead of Vince Lombardi. But it's not.
This is the best thing anybody has said yet. I love how the haters act like Williams is not a Gibbs guy. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

They can't be serious.

While I do respect Bill Parcells and he has proven to be a fine coach. He isn't in the same class as Joe Gibbs and the other all time greats. At least not until he wins a Super Bowl (or even just gets there) without Bill Belichick.

Bill Belichick has built and coached a 3 time Super Bowl Champion on his own. Bill Parcells has yet to field a Super Bowl team without Bill Belichick on his staff.

I also think that Parcells' mercernary tendencies hurt him. He hasn't shown much loyalty to organizations. However to his credit (and sometimes to his detriment), he has shown great loyalty to members of his staff and his players.

My list is based on who would I want coaching the Redskins right now.

1. Joe Gibbs

2. Andy Reid

3. Bill Parcells

4. Tom Coughlin

But no matter the order, all 4 coaches belong near the top of the entire league.

Can't we say that Bilicheck hasn't won a SB without Crenell and or Weiss? Works the same way right? Why not? I can't argue with opinions that Gibbs is the best in the division but the HOF credential is a bit skewed given that Gibbs has allowed himself enough time away from the game whereas Parcells (a sure fire lock) has not.

Can't we say that Bilicheck hasn't won a SB without Crenell and or Weiss? Works the same way right? Why not? I can't argue with opinions that Gibbs is the best in the division but the HOF credential is a bit skewed given that Gibbs has allowed himself enough time away from the game whereas Parcells (a sure fire lock) has not.

I'd agree with that. Parcells will be in the HOF 5 years after he retires (if the committee believes he is truly retired). :D

It would be interesting to see if he would have been first ballot if he had stayed retired the first time around.

My adjective was open to interpretation, I apologize. I simply figured it was well-known that it was the worst offensive output of all time in a playoff win.

That's weak to me. Something tells me that wasn't exactly the plan.

Spin it any way you want... it was still a win, and no where in the rule book does it say it has to be pretty.

and trying to demean an accomplishment, shows just how envious you and Westy are.

The Skins made the playoffs, and advanced it the playoffs, and both where earned. Unlike the other teams in the NFC East... the did what had to be done to get to Seattle.

Parcells.......turned too many franchises around not to call him the best. Its really not all that close.

Gibbs..........won 3 superbowls with one franchise.

Reid......someone has to be third

Coughlin...someone has to be fourth.

Yeah...you're not a homer. I wonder why JJ's first choice for HC was Gibbs and not Parcells...:whoknows:

Archived