Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 4 NFC East -- Head Coaches (2006)

ouvan59

Is the Comprehensive Bill in the Senate a Temporary Guest Worker Program?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is the Comprehensive Bill in the Senate a Temporary Guest Worker Program?

• Yes
    • No

I had truly forgotten that game. Oddly enough, I'll never forget when we beating Doug Williams and the skins at RFK was our sole win for the '89 season. Selective memory? I guess. :laugh: O.K., you made your point but still an odd and maybe tainted season nonetheless.

Oh you mean the game where Doug came back from surgery and Coach Joe in a display of loyalty played him even though he wasnt in shape?

Oh you mean the game where Doug came back from surgery and Coach Joe in a display of loyalty played him even though he wasnt in shape?

:doh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This is why I love it here. You got it man... you got it.. that was our only stinkin' win that year and you even have a comeback for that. Nice..! :notworthy

Reid is the only one in the East who has proven he can continually win in the salary cap era.

Reid continually won against horrible coaching. Now that the coaching has gotten better reid will have his work cut out for him. It wont be a cake walk for any NFC east team this year

Even after a 12-year break, Gibbs has done more for the Redskins in two years than Parcells has done for the Cowboys in three. Based on current events I don't think this gives as big a boost to Parcells' standing as you seem to.

Parcells had the same starting QB in the same scheme for both SB years. Simms played 14 games in 1990, threw for 2200 yards and 15 TDs before he got hurt. That's not NERALY the same thing as bringing in a new starter with completely different skill sets and developing an offense with that new starter from Day One that can succeed at the highest level. Parcells won with one starting QB. Gibbs won with three.

Yes, Parcells deserves credit for keeping the ship going when his starter went down in 1990. But guess what? Gibbs did that too. In 1987 Williams, the SB MVP that year, wasn't even the day one starter. That was Jay Schroeder. For those keeping score that would be four different QBs who contributed to SB wins for Gibbs, two for Parcells.

He BAILED? This is extremely intellectually dishonest. Gibbs was coach during the teeth of the Landry, Parcells and Buddy Ryan eras ... the greatest era in the history of the NFC East, and his team was the most successful team in the division during that time. When he took over the Redskins, the Cowboys were coming off SEVEN straight 10+ win seasons and a trip to the NFC Championship.

And upon his return in 2004, the Cowboys were coming off a 10-win season under Parcells and the Eagles were coming off their second straight NFC Championship appearance.

For you to even imply that Gibbs is the type of coach that would see the Cowboys win a SB and decide it was too much of a challenge for him is ludicrous in the extreme.

Actually they were coming off there third straight

Where the heck are all the Giants fans? SOMEBODY (not me, of course) should stick up for Coughlin. He did win the division last year, and its not like he hasn't had ANY playoff success.

Of course, it would be a lost cause since Parcells and Gibbs both have rings. But heck, the rings argument isn't working with Eagles and Cowboys fans, why should it be any different with Giants fans?

Just wondering.:cool:

Where the heck are all the Giants fans? SOMEBODY (not me, of course) should stick up for Coughlin. He did win the division last year, and its not like he hasn't had ANY playoff success.

Of course, it would be a lost cause since Parcells and Gibbs both have rings. But heck, the rings argument isn't working with Eagles and Cowboys fans, why should it be any different with Giants fans?

obiviously because their homers realize at best they could only argue Coughlin was third

Why bother :D

Call me crazy, but I don't call an 8-12 losing record to Parcells "owning" him.

That's probably just facts getting in the way again, though.

were did u get those numbers? The back of a cracker jack box. :laugh:

this is about the top 4 coaches in the NFC EAST going into 2006, not Gibbs v.s. Parcells. Overall Gibbs blows every coach in the East away :dallasuck

this is not a debate at all!! Look at who Joe Gibbs has won super bowls with.

Rypen could not bust a grape to Phill Simms. Doug Williams could not bust a grape to Phil Simms. Theisman was the only pretty good QB he had.

Gibbs has won more super bowls. He has a better record last yr. He has won a playoff game since coming back. Parcells has not done that in 3 yrs.

Gibbs if he wins another super bowl has to be considered for best of all time. Just for the fact he is not jumping from franchise to franchise like ( Larry Brown AKA Bill Parcells) , he is not looking for the best turn around fit and going to that team.

And Gibbs did not win with a Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. He won super bowls with a system and coaching not just the greatest players of all time.

this is not a debate at all!! Look at who Joe Gibbs has won super bowls with.

Rypen could not bust a grape to Phill Simms. Doug Williams could not bust a grape to Phil Simms. Theisman was the only pretty good QB he had.

Gibbs has won more super bowls. He has a better record last yr. He has won a playoff game since coming back. Parcells has not done that in 3 yrs.

Gibbs if he wins another super bowl has to be considered for best of all time. Just for the fact he is not jumping from franchise to franchise like ( Larry Brown AKA Bill Parcells) , he is not looking for the best turn around fit and going to that team.

And Gibbs did not win with a Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. He won super bowls with a system and coaching not just the greatest players of all time.

EXACTLY, Gibbs won w/ less talented players but high character players. Parcells would need to coach 5 more years to compare to Gibbs numbers.

Well, Gibbs will be remembered as the top out of the 4, based off of what we know now.

But, the original poster put 2006 in the thread title....

Okay, so under those rules, you should choose the coach that advanced farthest into the 2005 season, right?

Thread closed.

Most Midget Fans know their division title win is tainted because they had NINE Home Games

For whatever it's worth, while temporarily removing my own opinion, ESPN recently did one of the greatest lists involving coaches and they had Parcells ranked higher than Gibbs. So outside of ES land it's not such a slam dunk. I have tons of respect for Gibbs but winning not one but two SB's in strike shortened seasons does taint his accomplishments if only slightly. It could be argued that Parcells going to 3 SB's winning two and taking 4 different teams to the playoffs trumps Gibbs? Everyone will have their opinions though

Gotta love these Cowboy fans imaginations :laugh: Espn has never been biased towards the Skins either :laugh: I'd love to see some proof scrub, show us a link or something.

How does going to 3 superbowls and winning 2 trump Gibbs going to 4 superbowls and winning 3. :doh:

The only reason you weren't embarrassed out of the stadium is William's Defense.

Gibb's offense was simply embarrassing.

But, lets add a notch to Gibb's resume.

Our Offense scored 35 on Dallas's sorry D. :laugh: and the Eagles fought hard but fell short both games.

I thought the question was who was better for 2006? You can post everything you want about compiled records and superbowls but you should look at the FACTS.

-FACT: Gibbs wasn't comfortable with his own performance over his first two years so he had to hire someone to rescue him on offense.

-FACT: Gibbs has problems with the new system of challenges and time management.

-FACT: Gibbs has nothing to do with the defense.

What are you left with? At least the other 3 coaches in the division actually hands on and not in just the mere managerial role that Gibbs has taken on.

Well if you base it off 2006, we haven't seen the 2006 season yet so who knows, but if your basing it off who's the best going into 2006 you gotta give it to

1. Coughlin (won the division)

2. Gibbs (went 11-7 w/ 1 playoff win and 1 playoff loss)

3. Parcells ( just missing the playoffs)

4. Reid ( team was split up b/c of T.O. and Mcnabb was hurt)

No they didn't.

Unless you are adding both games or something...

Sorry thought you were a cowboy fan lol. Reid was last, based off last season and if you look at his overall career, you'll see he's not even in the same world as Gibbs. Don't even try and put Reid ahead of Gibbs or Parcells. It would only show your stupidity :D

The Parcells vs Gibbs debate is so good because the Parcells vs Gibbs rivalry is so good. These two coaching legends (one HOFer and one future HOfer) have a quite a storied history together, and the final chapters have yet to be written. Gibbs said of Parcells, "I could have had a couple more Super Bowl rings if it wasn't for that guy."

Indeed, Parcell's Giants and Gibb's Redskins were the perennial NFC East powerhouses of the 80's. During that time, Parcells beat Gibbs more than Gibbs beat Parcells, but Gibbs won more Championships. The back-and-forth personal rivalry between the two was heated back then and continues to this day, with both coaches handing the other a sweep in the two years since the rivalry has been renewed.

So, who is the better coach? That question probably won't be sufficiently answered until they have both retired for good. However, most major statistical indicators clearly favor Gibbs:

Gibbs' regular season record: 140-76 (.648)

Parcell's regular season record: 163-123 (.570)

Gibbs' postseason record: 17-6 (.739)

Parcell's postseasn record: 11-7 (.611)

Gibbs' Conference Championships: 4

Parcell's Conference Championships: 3

Gibbs' Super Bowl Championships: 3

Parcell's Super Bowl Championships: 2

Gibbs' most recent season: 10-6 & 1-1

Parcell's most recent season: 9-7

These statistics clearly show Gibbs to be the better of two great coaches, but there is one major statistic that I would be remiss in forgetting (I am actually shocked that WeOwnYou hasn't brought this up yet, as it is the only reason I can see to favor Parcells): Parcells is 14-11 all time against Gibbs, including a victory in their only post-season meeting. I believe this is the only reason why the rivalry between the two remains so intense, because otherwise Gibbs is clearly the better coach. As a matter of fact, I think Parcell's return to the NFC East is a big part of why Gibbs returned. Call it an old vandeta.

Right now, after last season's sweep, Gibbs seems to have the upper hand in the now legendary rivalry. I look forward to the next Chapter in this story. I hope its as good as the last one (and I know WeOwnYou vividly remembers how that one went).

Looks like overall Gibbs is the better coach, but head to head Parcells has come up w/ a win more times then not. I would hope Cowboy fans and all the haters would understand that, " CHAMPIONSHIPS " trumps Parcells 14-11 record against Gibbs. I mean, if you asked Parcells what he would rather have a 14-11 record against Gibbs or 4 superbowl appearances w/ 3 superbowl wins, what do you think Parcells would take?

Gibbs has even said, if it wasn't for Parcells he would have a couple more Rings right now.

Sorry Cowboy fans, but Gibbs going into 2006 has Parcells beat b/c of your teams sorry display last season and if you compare overall, Gibbs is the best.

I'll give it to Parcells for the head to head record but I'll take the superbowl wins and the conference championships over a head to head record any day. :)

They got to 10-6 against an easy schedule. That's a fact.

They jumped on that schedule and won 10 games. For a perennial 5-11 team that's a good thing. And it shows that Parcells is a heck of a coach. I never said Parcells didn't deserve credit for that. I just don't think it's as HUGE a deal as some make it out to be, espcially in light of the team's subsequent performances in 2004 and 2005

The 6-10 year you guys were downright lousy. Is this a debateable point?

'Classic' is when a fan throws out a line about his team that is based on nothing more than his emotional attachment to that team. Such as, "Gibbs had a great 10-12 year run, then when he saw the cowboys getting very good, he bailed." So far only one of us has been making arguements based solely on personal opinion. And it ain't me.

I happen to think every single coach in the division is a great coach. And I've always been a big fan of Andy Reid. However, I'd like to see how he does without a top-flight QB before putting him in the same class as Gibbs and Parcells.

We're not world-beaters. Just better than you. :)

Gibbs' teams are always excellent down the stretch. In fact, its that consistancy, that same quality we see in the 2005 Redskins that existed in the 1981-1992 Redskins that leads us to believe he's still the same coach he was when he was better than Parcells the first time around.

Actually, you're numbers are wrong. Gibbs was 17-17. Parcells was 16-17.

But beyond that, two years into Gibbs' stint, the Redskins are 10-6 and won a playoff game. Three years in, Parcells is 9-7 and is five seasons from his last playoff win. You are the one crowing about Parcells' ability to turn around a team, and how much better at it he is than Gibbs. I don't see it. Not right now. And not the last time the two of them both coached.

Good coaches win. Something Gibbs has a PhD in. That's the bottom line.

and Henry's owning Weownu again. Give it up bro :laugh:

Archived