Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prostitution legalized???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

how so, or am I missing something?

drums and skins, that would make sense, I think they are registered in Denmark or wherever else it is legalized as well. That would also make sense for them to pass STD tests so they would use condoms. This very well could help stop the spread of STD's then.

However, we all know how people love the black market no matter where you are, so some girls will prolly slip through the regulations.

You had to go and make it a racial thing, didn't you?

(OK, so it was a bad pun. See my previous post.)

You had to go and make it a racial thing, didn't you?

(OK, so it was a bad pun. See my previous post.)

haha, I know you were messing around, but a problem with some people, getting riled up over a common term such as black market. I wouldn't have even thought of it being racial, but I guess in our society, it is construed that way now...:doh:

SUNSTONE, I know it isn't exactly the same, but it relates. You talked about college girls whoring themselves out. I know at JMU, there are strip clubs in West Virginia no more than 20 miles away. I also have heard stories of girls going there to strip, my one friend told me two of her suitemates would do it.

To me, it relates in the sense that they do not see it as wrong, and I know stripping isn't sex, but it can be similar in the sense that both can lead to unwanted short and long-term effects. Like you said though, I have no problem with girls doing this, if they are inclined to do this and not focus on schoolwork, their own fault.

haha, I know you were messing around, but a problem with some people, getting riled up over a common term such as black market. I wouldn't have even thought of it being racial, but I guess in our society, it is construed that way now...:doh:

SUNSTONE, I know it isn't exactly the same, but it relates. You talked about college girls whoring themselves out. I know at JMU, there are strip clubs in West Virginia no more than 20 miles away. I also have heard stories of girls going there to strip, my one friend told me two of her suitemates would do it.

To me, it relates in the sense that they do not see it as wrong, and I know stripping isn't sex, but it can be similar in the sense that both can lead to unwanted short and long-term effects. Like you said though, I have no problem with girls doing this, if they are inclined to do this and not focus on schoolwork, their own fault.

Just an observation:

I've read that surveys say that among a lot of younger people, oral sex "isn't sex", either.

Once you leagalize things and it becomes part of society it in turn will be taught as acceptable practice,...would you want your daughter or grand daughter being told buy there high school guidance counseler that as a result of there test scores and future aspirations that they fit the profile for a prostitute? " Well Cindy it looks like your best suited for ******* guys, by the way when do you turn 18? I would love to be your first customer and get your buisness started!!"

Then these girls (even if they don't want to) have been conditioned by an accepting society that prostitution is there only way to go?

Then she can't meet a guy because shes a hooker and I don't know to many guys that are down with dating a hooker.

Then if she does get married does she quit her career and what she has been taught is her only way to make a living in society?

What do you tell your kids? "Leave mommmy alone sweetie, she tired from being pounded all day long by strange men."

I doubt Im kissing her when she walks in the door unless she gargeled with draino and alcohol.

Not a good idea to leagalize prostitution.......

Once you leagalize things and it becomes part of society it in turn will be taught as acceptable practice,...would you want your daughter or grand daughter being told buy there high school guidance counseler that as a result of there test scores and future aspirations that they fit the profile for a prostitute? " Well Cindy it looks like your best suited for ******* guys, by the way when do you turn 18? I would love to be your first customer and get your buisness started!!"

Then these girls (even if they don't want to) have been conditioned by an accepting society that prostitution is there only way to go?

Then she can't meet a guy because shes a hooker and I don't know to many guys that are down with dating a hooker.

Then if she does get married does she quit her career and what she has been taught is her only way to make a living in society?

What do you tell your kids? "Leave mommmy alone sweetie, she tired from being pounded all day long by strange men."

I doubt Im kissing her when she walks in the door unless she gargeled with draino and alcohol.

Not a good idea to leagalize prostitution.......

Good point. I think too often we as a culture just focus on short term "felt needs" without considering what the long term effect is.

Once you leagalize things and it becomes part of society it in turn will be taught as acceptable practice,...would you want your daughter or grand daughter being told buy th.......

For Someone with the name Shallow1 you sure are picky... :laugh:

Absolutely not. Prostitution transforms humans into commodity items to be bought and sold that devalues the people involved and all of us to some extent. I also wonder what it would do for marriage, which lets face it is already a failing institution in America. Making it easier to get some on the side won't help matters.

Found this on Google:http://www.rapereliefshelter.bc.ca/issues/prostitution_legalizing.html

Not sure if I support all of the arguments, some I do.

10 Reasons for Not Legalizing Prostitution

by Janice G. Raymond

Coalition Against Trafficking in Women International (CATW)

(March 25, 2003)

Summary

The following arguments apply to all state-sponsored forms of prostitution, including but not limited to full-scale legalization of brothels and pimping, decriminalization of the sex industry, regulating prostitution by laws such as registering or mandating health checks for women in prostitution, or any system in which prostitution is recognized as "sex work" or advocated as an employment choice.

As countries are considering legalizing and decriminalizing the sex industry, we urge you to consider the ways in which legitimating prostitution as "work" does not empower the women in prostitution but does everything to strengthen the sex industry.

1. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution is a gift to pimps, traffickers and the sex industry.
  2. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution and the sex industry promotes sex trafficking.
  3. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not control the sex industry.It expands it.
  4. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution increases clandestine, hidden, illegal and street prostitution.
  5. Legalization of prostitution and decriminalization of the sex Industry increases child prostitution.
  6. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not protect the women in prostitution.
  7. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution increases the demand for prostitution. It boosts the motivation of men to buy women for sex in a much wider and more permissible range of socially acceptable settings.
  8. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not promote women's health.
  9. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not enhance women's choice.
  10. Women in systems of Prostitution do not want the sex industry legalized or decriminalized.

I did find number 7 interesting though.

7. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution increases the demand for prostitution. It boosts the motivation of men to buy women for sex in a much wider and more permissible range of socially acceptable settings.

With the advent of legalization in countries that have decriminalized the sex industry, many men who would not risk buying women for sex now see prostitution as acceptable. When the legal barriers disappear, so too do the social and ethical barriers to treating women as sexual commodities. Legalization of prostitution sends the message to new generations of men and boys that women are sexual commodities and that prostitution is harmless fun.

As men have an excess of "sexual services" that are offered to them, women must compete to provide services by engaging in anal sex, sex without condoms, bondage and domination and other proclivities demanded by the clients. Once prostitution is legalized, all holds are barred. Women's reproductive capacities are sellable products, for example. A whole new group of clients find pregnancy a sexual turn-on and demand breast milk in their sexual encounters with pregnant women. Specialty brothels are provided for disabled men, and State-employed caretakers who are mostly women must take these men to the brothels if they wish to go (Sullivan and Jeffreys: 2001).

Advertisements line the highways of Victoria offering women as objects for sexual use and teaching new generations of men and boys to treat women as subordinates. Businessmen are encouraged to hold their corporate meetings in these clubs where owners supply naked women on the table at tea breaks and lunchtime.

A Melbourne brothel owner stated that the client base was "well educated professional men, who visit during the day and then go home to their families." Women who desire more egalitarian relationships with men find that often the men in their lives are visiting the brothels and sex clubs. They have the choice to accept that their male partners are buying women in commercial sexual transactions, avoid recognizing what their partners are doing, or leave the relationship (Sullivan and Jeffreys: 2001).

Sweden's Violence Against Women, Government Bill 1997/98:55 prohibits and penalizes the purchase of "sexual services." It is an innovative approach that targets the demand for prostitution. Sweden believes that "By prohibiting the purchase of sexual services, prostitution and its damaging effects can be counteracted more effectively than hitherto." Importantly, this law clearly states that "Prostitution is not a desirable social phenomenon" and is "an obstacle to the ongoing development towards equality between women and men."**

Prostitution transforms humans into commodity items to be bought and sold that devalues the people involved and all of us to some extent.

Stopped by the "day laborer" market lately?

I also wonder what it would do for marriage, which lets face it is already a failing institution in America. Making it easier to get some on the side won't help matters.

1) Show me somebody who's married and he's hiring a whore, and I'll tell you that the whore isn't destroying that marriage.

2) Granted, I'm swinging a big paintbrush, but:

Show me a marriage with a pre-nup, and I'll show you legalised prostitution right now.

I think that maybe at first yes you guys may be right where there is an increase in use of prostitution. However, it will then drop since everyoine is used to it. Not to mention, you guys don't give people enough credit. just because it becomes legal does not mean peoples morals will drop off, and all of a sudden start going to prostitutes. I don't think legality is what stops many people.

I think that maybe at first yes you guys may be right where there is an increase in use of prostitution. However, it will then drop since everyoine is used to it. Not to mention, you guys don't give people enough credit. just because it becomes legal does not mean peoples morals will drop off, and all of a sudden start going to prostitutes. I don't think legality is what stops many people.

I disagree. While it's use may not continue growing at the same rate I strongly doubt that the amount of prostitution would every be as low when it is legal as it would be when it's not. Legal means it's ok, even if others don't like it, it's legal and you can do it. Illegal means it's not ok, even if you think otherwise, it's still not viewed by society as acceptable.

Stopped by the "day laborer" market lately?
I'd argue that among the men on this message board an illegal alien willing to work in a field for some money would get more respect then a hooker.

1) Show me somebody who's married and he's hiring a whore, and I'll tell you that the whore isn't destroying that marriage.

Makes it a hell of lot harder to catch a cheater when their privacy is part of the paid for agreement. No matter what you think about this, there can be no denying that legalized protstitution makes it amazingly simple to get some on the side.
2) Granted, I'm swinging a big paintbrush, but:

Show me a marriage with a pre-nup, and I'll show you legalised prostitution right now.

Not even close.

I disagree. Once it gets legalized it will get more mainstream exposure and acceptability and morals will plummet more. Adultery is already, for the most part, considered "ok as long as it doesn't happen to me" so what's the difference? Its just opening up more avenues for immorality.

I disagree. Once it gets legalized it will get more mainstream exposure and acceptability and morals will plummet more. Adultery is already, for the most part, considered "ok as long as it doesn't happen to me" so what's the difference? Its just opening up more avenues for immorality.

I just don't think you guys give anyone credit. If the parents teach their children a good moral background, then they will choose properly. I don't think you (not trying to point to you in particular...just the naysayers) need to baby-sit society and tell us what is right and wrong. That's the individuals parents job. Give us the option...you may be pleasantly surprised.

Besides, if someone wants to be immoral who are you to say they can't be? They are going to be immoral anyways, at least if it's legal, they won't get AIDS or some other STD and then become a burden on society.

I just don't think you guys give anyone credit. If the parents teach their children a good moral background, then they will choose properly. I don't think you (not trying to point to you in particular...just the naysayers) need to baby-sit society and tell us what is right and wrong. That's the individuals parents job. Give us the option...you may be pleasantly surprised.
Like the church kid who shot 2 people and ran off with their daughter a few months back?
Besides, if someone wants to be immoral who are you to say they can't be? They are going to be immoral anyways, at least if it's legal, they won't get AIDS or some other STD and then become a burden on society.
I'll point to the article again I quoted:
8. Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not promote women's health.

A legalized system of prostitution that mandates health checks and certification only for women and not for clients is blatantly discriminatory to women. "Women only" health checks make no public health sense because monitoring prostituted women does not protect them from HIV/AIDS or STDs, since male "clients" can and do originally transmit disease to the women.

It is argued that legalized brothels or other "controlled" prostitution establishments "protect" women through enforceable condom policies. In one of CATW's studies, U.S. women in prostitution interviewed reported the following: 47% stated that men expected sex without a condom; 73% reported that men offered to pay more for sex without a condom; 45% of women said they were abused if they insisted that men use condoms. Some women said that certain establishments may have rules that men wear condoms but, in reality, men still try to have sex without them. One woman stated: "It's 'regulation' to wear a condom at the sauna, but negotiable between parties on the side. Most guys expected blow jobs without a condom (Raymond and Hughes: 2001)."

In reality, the enforcement of condom policy was left to the individual women in prostitution, and the offer of extra money was an insistent pressure. One woman stated: "I'd be one of those liars if I said 'Oh I always used a condom.' If there was extra money coming in, then the condom would be out the window. I was looking for the extra money." Many factors militate against condom use: the need of women to make money; older women's decline in attractiveness to men; competition from places that do not require condoms; pimp pressure on women to have sex with no condom for more money; money needed for a drug habit or to pay off the pimp; and the general lack of control that prostituted women have over their bodies in prostitution venues.

So called "safety policies" in brothels did not protect women from harm. Even where brothels supposedly monitored the "customers" and utilized "bouncers," women stated that they were injured by buyers and, at times, by brothel owners and their friends. Even when someone intervened to control buyers' abuse, women lived in a climate of fear. Although 60 percent of women reported that buyers had sometimes been prevented from abusing them, half of those women answered that, nonetheless, they thought that they might be killed by one of their "customers" (Raymond et al: 2002).

Ah yes - we should provide incentive for poor women from all over the world to come here and sell their bodies (or be forced here) so that Americans don't feel society is babysitting them. No thanks.

Also I think you over estimate people. Assuming you're male, you have to know that young men do just about everything with the aim of getting laid. Making it cheap, easy, and safe for them to use hookers will certainly drive up the use of prostitutes. I think the threat of STDs and having this on thier criminal record stops a lot of people. Making it safe and socially acceptable (which is exactly what legalization does) promotes the sex industry.

Also I think you over estimate people. Assuming you're male, you have to know that young men do just about everything with the aim of getting laid. Making it cheap, easy, and safe for them to use hookers will certainly drive up the use of prostitutes. I think the threat of STDs and having this on thier criminal record stops a lot of people. Making it safe and socially acceptable (which is exactly what legalization does) promotes the sex industry.

first off yes, young guys will do anything to get laid. So why not let them goto a hooker on the street (because if they want it that bad, that's where they'll go) and get some disease and become a strain on health care. When you can at least try and stop it there, and at least regulate the health of the women. The cost would probably be a tad higher then the 50 bucks you could find for sex on the street. So, finding cheap sex isn't that hard as it is now. As for bunchs of poor women coming here to be employed for sex...hmmm where should I start with that one. First...I think some already are, so your point? And, is that a big problem where prostitution is already legal?

The sex industry is already promoted thanks to porn, so I don't think legalizing prostitution will make it any more acceptable then it is already viewed IMO.

As for Zguy, your post. Where did you find that again, because I'm sure I can find an article to counter it with just as many facts and figures. Also, if it is regulated, things can be done to make sure it stays clean, and the prostitutes in the brothels protect themselves as well as their clientel.

edit I went back and saw where ya got the article from Z...not exactly the most unbiased group huh?

I would like to see what some women on this board have as (serious) opinions on this subject?

The double standard has come out but its only because men are responding to this thread,....what about male prostitutes?

Would the govement regulate a fair buisness practice act and put rules in place so women had to pay just as much for the "service" as men did? Or does it depend on the idividual person? Like car shopping, you know your going to pay more for a new Lexus so you buy a new Pontiac or do you hit the used car section and bargain shop??

Who judges that problem?? Why should a man pay more than a woman for the same "service" will men be discriminated against just because there men??

Archived