Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McIntosh's 40 Time

Trippster

I was listening to Coach Gibbs' press conference again this morning and Gibbs said that they were working him out in Miami earlier this year and his 40 times were "way down there." Gibbs then goes on to say that he ran a 4.6 at the combine, his tone of voice alluding to the fact that 4.6 is not really indicative of what he's truly capable of. Do we have a man beast on our hands here?

I was listening to Coach Gibbs' press conference again this morning and Gibbs said that they were working him out in Miami earlier this year and his 40 times were "way down there." Gibbs then goes on to say that he ran a 4.6 at the combine, his tone of voice alluding to the fact that 4.6 is not really indicative of what he's truly capable of. Do we have a man beast on our hands here?

well, the huge upside to this guy is his physical ability. He needs to work on his technique, which Im sure GW will be able to help with

I don't know what his 40 times were at Miami, but he looks MUCH quicker on the field than 4.6. The fact that he reads developing plays very well helps a lot too.

As a Maryland fan, I wanted D'Qwell first, and Rocky if we couldn't get him. Maryland homerism aside, Rocky is the better athlete IMO. Prepare to be impressed.

Allegedly he ran a 4.4 at Miami according to their athletic department, but thats probably inflated as that is common.

He ran a 4.63 at the combine and a 4.60 at his Pro Day, which are very good times for a 237 lb. LB, although not superior. However, if his instincts are good -- which they supposedly are -- then this would mean that he gets a good jump on the ball and probably plays faster than he times in shorts. :D

40 times are good indicators of ability for players who run straight up and down more often (i.e. WRs, RBs, and in some cases DBs).

When looking at LBs, I think the 5-10-5 shuttle would be a lot more indicative of ability (I don't have any numbers, haven't been able to do much research for the draft, as I have to finish my thesis...).

I think the media gets too hung up with numbers like the 40 time and Vertical Jump and neglects other aspects of a players football ability.

He's been listed as running a 4.36 and a 4.4.

I like this pick..............

4.4----------4.36 !!!!! LOL...come on now...When Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 the world stopped turning for a day !!!

Let's say he is good for a 4.58...and call it even......

I feel that GW can make a player better than anyone expected...Lets see what he does with the D-Rock

There is 40 speed and there is football speed. You can be quick like a cat and fast as hell, but if you're guessing where the play is then you're not gonna get there quick enough. If you know where the play is going before the snap then obviously you're going to be there right on time. We don't need him chasing guys from behind to save a TD. We have two safeties that can run pretty damn well. So who cares what he ran. After all, we are talking about 10ths of a second right?

If you watched any many highlights of the combine.... he has some of the most fluid hip motion and quickness I've ever seen. Which would explain why he's an exceptional pass-defender.

When I saw that drill... and then saw his 40 time... I was surprised. But as Warhead36 mentioned... a 40-yard dash is one of the most overrated drills in football.

But it doesn't stop people from overvaluing it.

40 times are overrated for any player not playing WR.

If your LB ever has to run 40 yards straight ahead then you've got other issues.

what about special teams? they run more than 40 yards on most kickoff/punt. and moving from left to right across the field can eat up almost 40 yards....so i wouldnt say its overrated, just talked about to much....

also didnt he have the highest vertical jump for any LB?

Being one of the biggest Miami fans out there and following them every year, I can tell you McIntosh IS what he and Joe Gibbs says he is. The man is just as tenacious as Sean Taylor and will bring a rusher down much better than Lavar ever did.

Fantastic choice and can't wait to see him in action.

what about special teams? they run more than 40 yards on most kickoff/punt. and moving from left to right across the field can eat up almost 40 yards....so i wouldnt say its overrated, just talked about to much....

also didnt he have the highest vertical jump for any LB?

40 times are definitely not overrated. If they were I would think NFL and College scouts would have switched up by now.

He had a great wonderlic too, didn't he? So, not only can he tackle, but he can do his own taxes too.

He scored a 29 on his Wonderlic which puts him higher than most of the QBs in the draft...including Jay Cutler. He is also about 6 credits away from getting a second bachelors degree. This guy is smart, athletic, and not a big talker. I think we might have found a Marcus Washington clone to play the weak side. I like this pick.

40 times aren't overrated but there's a HUGE difference between running speed and football speed imo......now Rocky has great football speed....fast reactions and that's what a linebacker needs. Sure he'll probly lose if they were to line him up with another linebacker in a straight course foot race....but in football speed...like switching directions and stuff....Rocky'll be just fine

40 times aren't overrated but there's a HUGE difference between running speed and football speed imo......now Rocky has great football speed....fast reactions and that's what a linebacker needs. Sure he'll probly lose if they were to line him up with another linebacker in a straight course foot race....but in football speed...like switching directions and stuff....Rocky'll be just fine

Exactly. I remember a few ppl talking about Taylor because of his 40 time but his upside is he takes huge strides to cover the field...bottom line is Rocky is quick, smart, and tough and he'll prove to be a fine addition to this team

Like Gibbs said, he's smart enough to play all 3 downs and has the ability to make plays against the run and pass. Sounds like a winner to me. He's from the U and we all know what guys from the U have done for us.

GREAT PICK GIBBS!

Archived