Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LB situation as of April 18th and the Draft

21KillzCowboys

With the re-signing of Holdman, I don't believe that the Skins have a pressing need at LB anymore. There are a few question marks that we may have as fans, but I think Williams & Gibbs will be content at the position, for this year.

LB Starters:

Clemons, Marshall, Washington

LB Reserves:

Holdman, Campbell, McCune

We should be able to pick up a veteran LB after the June cuts if necessary.

Our first draft pick must be used on a cornerback, in my opinion. Wright should be a solid reserve, but Jimoh is only capable of spot-duty. We need one more dependable player here.

O-line depth, a receiving TE, and another safety in the later rounds. What do you think?

Unfortunately, I think Holdman is going to be the every down WLB. I think Williams is going to use Clemons on 3rd/passing downs only. I hope I am wrong. I think #53 is going to be used on the best available player, whether O-line, CB, LB, or D-line. I am more interested in us getting a kicker who we can count on for up to 45 yard FG and kickoffs inside the 10!

I dont get why you skins fans are so obssesed with geting a 3rd CB. Springs has at least 2 years left. If I was you I'd be looking more at DT/DE. Daniles is decent but geting kinda old, and Griffen could use a A big fat run stuffing DT next to him. You O-line also kinda thin.

I dont get why you skins fans are so obssesed with geting a 3rd CB. Springs has at least 2 years left. If I was you I'd be looking more at DT/DE. Daniles is decent but geting kinda old, and Griffen could use a A big fat run stuffing DT next to him. You O-line also kinda thin.

I agree we could use another DT, but CB is a more critical position. If Springs or Rogers goes down for the season, we would be really thin at the position. Wynn and Evans could be moved into the DT position if we have an injury and we could still get by.

But with 50% of the games being decided by 7 points or less, you can lose a game real quick with a CB that sucks.

Joe Salavia played very well for us this past season. Wynn could be moved to DT in a pinch. I personally don't think that D-line needs to be addressed via the draft. O-line should be, however not until the later rounds. We just re-signed Holdman, and that provides depth at the LB position. The natural guess is to say we will sign a CB.

I think that we should also take a good hard look at the opponents for next season to decide as well.. I don't have time ATM to check but I'm willing to bet we play a lot of teams with 3 wide receiver sets. If this is true, is it safe to assume we may draft a CB? Does that theory hold any water??

I agree we could use another DT, but CB is a more critical position. If Springs or Rogers goes down for the season, we would be really thin at the position. Wynn and Evans could be moved into the DT position if we have an injury and we could still get by.

But with 50% of the games being decided by 7 points or less, you can lose a game real quick with a CB that sucks.

Well you could say that about DE too. If Daniles or Carter gets hurt. Then you basicly have nothing behind them. I rather have D-line/Pass Rush depth then CB depth.

With the re-signing of Holdman, I don't believe that the Skins have a pressing need at LB anymore.

LB Reserves:

Holdman, Campbell, McCune

I dont think the LB reserves are anywhere near good enough

Our first draft pick must be used on a cornerback

I agree with that. it's just that I would trade next years #1 for one

I still don't see how Linebacker is more settled than corner.

We have 2 count 'em 2 proven players.

Marcus Washington and Lemar Marshall

Warrick Holdman proved last year that he was no longer the player he once was.....why anyone thinks he's now going to magically get better is beyond me.

Clemons, Campbell and McCune have yet to show any ability to come in and be a starter (in the case of Clemons) or make meaningful contributions on defense (in the cases of Campbell and McCune).

At least at corner we have three guys (Springs, Rogers and Wright) who have proven they can play and Ade Jimoh as a 4th corner gives me a hell of alot more comfort than Warrick Holdman as a starter or a 1st off the bench type of guy.

I sure hope we add somebody (or 2) who is capable of starting at linebacker via our 2nd round pick or during post June 1 free agency.

Warrick Holdman proved last year that he was no longer the player he once was.....why anyone thinks he's now going to magically get better is beyond me.

Clemons, Campbell and McCune have yet to show any ability to come in and be a starter (in the case of Clemons) or make meaningful contributions on defense (in the cases of Campbell and McCune).

At least at corner we have three guys (Springs, Rogers and Wright) who have proven they can play and Ade Jimoh as a 4th corner gives me a hell of alot more comfort than Warrick Holdman as a starter or a 1st off the bench type of guy.

I sure hope we add somebody (or 2) who is capable of starting at linebacker via our 2nd round pick or during post June 1 free agency.

For some reason, I think we can satisfy this WSLB need more cheaply/effectively by combing through the June 1st cuts.

Well you could say that about DE too. If Daniles or Carter gets hurt. Then you basicly have nothing behind them. I rather have D-line/Pass Rush depth then CB depth.

And thatS why santana tourched the g-men last year.... I do agree that we need another pass rusher... but clemons could fill that void if needed....

Draft CB & then find a sleeper at DE....:gaintsuck

I think we still need a quality CB and quality LB and a quality backup tackle.

Clemons hasn't proven he can start yet. Holdman may still be cut (Dale Lindsay wasn't satisfied with the way he played last year).

And then there is always the injury bug that may hit one position hard.

Corner and LB are still the biggest concerns but I think we need to look at FS/SS as well.

There is no depth behind Sean Taylor (Curry Burns?!) and Archuleta has missed 8 games in the last 5 years due to injuries.

True, but at the same time, wasn't he coming off an injury last year as well? On the other hand, he may not even make the team.

I agree that I'd feel better if we got some more depth at both LB and CB, and maybe a decent DL and OL with the lower round picks.

I thoroughly agree:

LB should be our #1 prioirity followed closely by DT - the 5 game slide coincided with Griffin being out!

OL depth behind that

Our CBs are fine - maybe get a project in the later round

And that why santana tourched the g-men last year.... I do agree that we need another pass rusher... but clemons could fill that void if needed....

Draft CB & then find a sleeper at DE....:gaintsuck

Take a look at the first game. Brunell was running for his life(5 sacks). In the second I think are lone sack came when Griesen hit Brunell on the knee. No pass rush=2 long TDs&Will Allen on his face, pass rush=36-0.

Missed the news about Holdman getting resigned. Surprised and not surprised.

Really, it is Clemons position to win. The staff knows what Holdman can (and can't) do, and Clemons is probably the most experienced out there. Course, I wouldn't count Holdman completely out, since it is possible that he could step up his game.

Missing in this lineup is Jashon Sykes, who seems to be a good special teamer, and has started before in the NFL.

As for the draft, there isn't just one 'need' position. Again, people are just thinking about this year, rather than the future. We probably need to draft at CB, DL, OL more than we need to draft at LB, where we have a few promising young guys.

Jason

Do we really need to get a CB with our first pick? Maybe I'm missing it but Springs, Rogers, Wright, and Jimoh is a much more capable group then Clemons and Mccune.

I have no problem going into the season with the group of DB's we have now, but I would be very nervous if we do not strengthen our LB position. Any DB we would draft would be a backup and not have an impact this year and maybe not even next, they would simply be a backup and take over Spring's spot when he moves on.

Look at our linebackers though we are as thin there as we were at DB last year. I think the FO is grandstanding with all this interest in CB's and will take a LB with our first pick

Take a look at the first game. Brunell was running for his life(5 sacks). In the second I think are lone sack came when Griesen hit Brunell on the knee. No pass rush=2 long TDs&Will Allen on his face, pass rush=36-0.

and how far did u all get in the playoffs... but every team has a bad game in the regular season.... r u following me now...

CB is the biggest position in need of depth. Granted, Holdman got burned several times last year. But considering we have Holdman, Campbell, Clemons and McCune . . . I think we have some decent competition at that spot. What makes everyone think that a 2nd round LB'er will be able to step in and provide the type of support we supposedly need at LB that we don;t already have?

My personal opinion is that our secondary was hurting last year through some injuries. And i would rather not have to deal with another Walt Harris clone (Kenny Wright) as our only support. Should Springs or Rogers go down; we would be more susceptible (sp?) to gettin beat on the outside. Especially with Taylor's trial - we need to sure up some DB depth.

That being said I could see us going with McIntosh from the U, and would not be too upset. But for all these folks who think the secondary is sured up, well i wouldn;t count your chickens before they hatch. We are one injury away (Springs has been injury prone) from being depleted at the CB position again. Sorry, Jimoh is just not an every down corner. Where as most our LB's are taught to understand the system from all LB positions, not just weak side or strong side.

DE has good depth with Wynn and Demetric Evans as backups and Daniels and Carter as the starters. Daniels, Wynn and Evans can also play DT if needed.

Just my .04 cents

Do we really need to get a CB with our first pick? Maybe I'm missing it but Springs, Rogers, Wright, and Jimoh is a much more capable group then Clemons and Mccune.

Again, think about the future. If Springs went down for good, would Wright or Jimoh be the kind of guy that you'd want starting? Probably not.

Both Clemons and McCune are young and talented. I feel more comfortable that they can be starter rather than Wright and Jimoh.

Jason

Archived