Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LB situation as of April 18th and the Draft

21KillzCowboys

We need at least one more quality LB. Signing holdman only adds a little depth, and does little to help our starting WLB needs. Lets face it, if we are starting Clemons, and are one injury away from Holdman startign for the whole season, thats not good. One more decent LB signing to give us some depth and competion would make me feel better, but I get the feeling that is coming.

Guys if we keep our position at 53 and don't trade up I think Gibbs and company will be the best player available regardless of postion if he is CB, LB, OT, DT, DE. Honestly to you want to pick up say the 5th rated CB in the draft if Kiwi is still available? I don't. I hope we pickup the Best Player Available. The Chris Canty fiasco of last year is hurting us now big time. If we picked up the Best player available last year we would have had Canty over White (who may not even make the team this year), and then the above list comes down to CB, LB, OT.

CB is the biggest position in need of depth. Granted, Holdman got burned several times last year. But considering we have Holdman, Campbell, Clemons and McCune . . . I think we have some decent competition at that spot. What makes everyone think that a 2nd round LB'er will be able to step in and provide the type of support we supposedly need at LB that we don;t already have?

Competition for the spot is great, but not when the competitors are career backups. That just means our best 2nd-stringer would be thrust into a starting role. I'm not convinced that's the way to go, but if we draft anyone but a linebacker at #53, I'll trust that the coaches see something I don't. Maybe a 2nd-rounder won't be an immediate improvement, but younger guys with upside are always preferable to veterans who have not shown enough improvement to crack the starting lineup regularly, IMO.

My personal opinion is that our secondary was hurting last year through some injuries. And i would rather not have to deal with another Walt Harris clone (Kenny Wright) as our only support. Should Springs or Rogers go down; we would be more susceptible (sp?) to gettin beat on the outside. Especially with Taylor's trial - we need to sure up some DB depth.

Your point about Springs and Rogers getting injured is valid, but find me a team that has the three or four starter-caliber corners you seem to want? Springs and Rogers are solid, no doubt. Kenny Wright started last year on one of the best defenses in the league in Jacksonville. Wright is much more capable that Walt Harris, and is also three years younger. He's definitely an upgrade. I think we're as set at corner as any team in the league.

Here's the strategy:

If D'Qwell Jackson drops to 53, we take him and move Lemar Marshall outside. If not, we take Rocky McIntosh from the "U" and go from there.

Man, that would give us a Rock and a Rocky on the team! Sweet!

I was for sure that we would take a LB in the draft, but now I am thinking that we are going for a good solid corner. I wouldn't be surprised if we went for a Hurricane, even though I think we should look at all corners from any college.

I really wanted to get a LB like Thomas Howard or Abdul Hodge, but I guess what ever they do will be best for the team.:logo:

Well you could say that about DE too. If Daniles or Carter gets hurt. Then you basicly have nothing behind them. I rather have D-line/Pass Rush depth then CB depth.

yea but weve had a bigger problem with DB injuries than DL injuries in the past. theyre just more frequent

Archived