Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPod Question

codeorama

cat fight.......

:munchout:

It's okay ...

I just mentioned the comment that she made and played along with it ... since it was a perfect description of SSM .... :D

And anyone who knows either Robin or I know that neither of us particularily care for each other much. :)

It's my personal preference. If I had the option of using a Mac or a PC, I'd choose the PC 110% of the time. Like I said, Macs are for people who do art or do music...artsy people. And I don't have a clue? I've used Macs, I don't like them...so I have a clue that I don't like them. Just like you shouldn't buy a car because it's "pretty", you shouldn't buy a computer because it "looks nice"

The reason I said what I said to you was because you said people who use Macs are musicians and artist, as if it were a bad thing. I'm a graphic/web designer and I love Macs, I prefer to have both, but 90% of the time I use the Mac. If you don't like Macs that's your personal preference, and I'm not trying to change your mind. I just think that what you said was completely absurd about it only being a pretty computer.

Also, your statement about them being pretty, is somewhat misguided. I never said that you should buy a computer/car just because it's pretty, you should definitely know what you're buying has substance. You seem to hint that Macs don't have substance other than being good looking computers. That's not a dig at you, that's a dig at everyone that blindly thinks that. Macs are definitely good looking computers, know why? Because a big portion of their customers are artist, and for us presentation is everything, and if my computer helps to impact the presentation even better.

However, that's not the only reason I use Macs, I use them because I find them to be much more reliable, and powerful computers for what I use them for. And yes, I've had, and I currently have both, and I still feel the same. I've found that a lot of artists who use Macs actually know much more about the technical side of computers than a lot of PC users I've met. And the technical side of things is not always "pretty".

i say you get something with 4+ gigs. its alot easier. just stick all your music into it and go. i have the 30gb ipod and i love it. i dont go jogging with it, but you could with the arm band, or you could get wireless headphones. but yeah i love it, i got the tape converter thing that you stick into the cassette deck in the car and then plug the wire into the head phone jack. got like 4000+ songs right there at my disposal playing in my car. its great and its almost identical to cd quality. so useful.

you dont neccessarily neeed to get the ipod...

check this out

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-08,GGLR:en&q=30gb%20mp3%20players&sa=N&tab=wf

I have to say that I hate it when Mac ppl try to bring up this type of thing. Alienware is one company and they produce something that any other company can produce at a lower price, and they still sell their stuff so whatever. (etc. etc.)

I was just pointing out that Apple isn't the only computer manufacturer that sells expensive machines. There was no hidden meaning there.

I know you can build your own PC, and that's cool if that's you want to do. But Mac users don't really care about wanting to build and repair our own Mac, just like how most people don't want to build and repair their own car. Is it a disadvantage? Sure, it can be if your computer starts acting weird and you don't know what to do. But luckily, computers don't physically break down very easily. (Disclaimer: I have experience repairing Macs. Some are easy to access, others are built like fortresses.)

Apple going forth and deciding to put windows on their computers as an option is their attempt to compete with Dell, HP, and the other major PC manufacturers.

That's not true. They don't come pre-installed with Windows, nor do they even offer support for Windows. They just allow it to be installed. The whole point of doing is that to sell more hardware and build the OS X user base. It has nothing to do with other PC manufacturers.

As far as MP3 players, from what I know about the iPod, you have to use iTunes to load the music onto it. The thing my friends like about the Creative MP3 players is that you can just drop the songs onto the drive letter that appears when you plug it in and the songs play, no having to mess with any software or anything.

That doesn't seem like too much of a sacrifice to me -- if you have a Palm, odds are you sync it with your computer using Palm Desktop.

I HATE MACINTOSH COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never really hated or liked Mac or windows. If I was doing graphic design I would probably use a Mac, for Business I would use a PC. I've never come accross this extreme a reaction to Macs. I've seen it with windows before but not a Mac. So what drives this deep seated hatred of all things Mac?

The reason I said what I said to you was because you said people who use Macs are musicians and artist, as if it were a bad thing. I'm a graphic/web designer and I love Macs, I prefer to have both, but 90% of the time I use the Mac. If you don't like Macs that's your personal preference, and I'm not trying to change your mind. I just think that what you said was completely absurd about it only being a pretty computer.

Also, your statement about them being pretty, is somewhat misguided. I never said that you should buy a computer/car just because it's pretty, you should definitely know what you're buying has substance. You seem to hint that Macs don't have substance other than being good looking computers. That's not a dig at you, that's a dig at everyone that blindly thinks that. Macs are definitely good looking computers, know why? Because a big portion of their customers are artist, and for us presentation is everything, and if my computer helps to impact the presentation even better.

However, that's not the only reason I use Macs, I use them because I find them to be much more reliable, and powerful computers for what I use them for. And yes, I've had, and I currently have both, and I still feel the same. I've found that a lot of artists who use Macs actually know much more about the technical side of computers than a lot of PC users I've met. And the technical side of things is not always "pretty".

:cheers: From a fellow web designer, well said.

It's okay ...

I just mentioned the comment that she made and played along with it ... since it was a perfect description of SSM .... :D

And anyone who knows either Robin or I know that neither of us particularily care for each other much. :)

i'm a dude. the attraction to a cat fight is encoded into my dna. :D

Now, let's move on to cost, Apple's system are definitely not the cheapest of systems, however there's a common misconception that they are way overpriced. Which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact most Macs are very comparable in price, especially on the Laptop side. I wish I could find the article, where someone built a PC, I think on Dell's website, and they added all of the components that Macs come with out of the box (including software), and the price was within the same range. And again, with the new Intel switch I'm sure we'll see much more parity in price.

Well, if you include software packages that probably makes a bit more sense... just because Dell likes to charge a lot more than necessary for that kind of software (which you can generally get for free packaged with hardware). I tend to compare industry prices for desktop computers to the cost of what it takes for me to order parts and assemble the thing myself (usually atleast $300 cheaper than anything Apple or Dell offers that is comparable).

I have to say that I hate it when Mac ppl try to bring up this type of thing. Alienware is one company and they produce something that any other company can produce at a lower price, and they still sell their stuff so whatever. I could build the same thing as Alienware with the exact same parts they list on their website and save about $1500-$2000 on their highest priced systems

Alienware is basically just for the people who either lack the smarts to build a PC (it doesn't take much, really) and have a lot of spare change or are just really lazy and have enough money not to care about throwing away a huge chunk of change. Agree with you completely... if Alienware is too expensive go to another, cheaper vendor or do it yourself (something that Mac users can't do).

I am a PC user/technician and I have built hundreds of computers in my brief career, I love the PC and the fact that I can go out and ensure that I am getting the highest quailty parts to go into my computer, I can ensure that I have excellent Tech support that is going to fix my problem instead of wiping out the OS and reloading it(this is almost never the right option in my personal view).

Co-sign. The only reason you wipe your OS is just for housekeeping purposes if you're a more advanced Windows user (basically throws away all the stuff you had on there but don't need and helps you keep organized). If you have a little knowledge of what you're doing and possess the right tools, a Windows-based machine will run ATLEAST as reliably as any Mac out there.

I deliberately didn't post in here b/c I didn't want to hijack, but since it happened anyway...

Not a big fan of Apple products. I don't like the fact you can only use ITunes (which I hate). So I went and bought the Creative Zen Micro Photo 8GB. Only $249.99. Plenty of room on it and it does very well. The sound quality is the best of any MP3 player out there. I researched the hell out of it and everything I read had the words "I-Pod Killer" in it somewhere.

Now...someone mentioned workouts. For non-cardio it does fine, but if you plan on running and using it, get one with flash memory so you don't have to worry bout moving parts moving where you don't want them! (Since the Zen uses a micro HDD instead of flash)

:cheers:

(I wondered why so many were viewing this thread til I got to the "cat fight". Funny stuff there!)

Well, if you include software packages that probably makes a bit more sense... just because Dell likes to charge a lot more than necessary for that kind of software (which you can generally get for free packaged with hardware). I tend to compare industry prices for desktop computers to the cost of what it takes for me to order parts and assemble the thing myself (usually atleast $300 cheaper than anything Apple or Dell offers that is comparable).

Alienware is basically just for the people who either lack the smarts to build a PC (it doesn't take much, really) and have a lot of spare change or are just really lazy and have enough money not to care about throwing away a huge chunk of change. Agree with you completely... if Alienware is too expensive go to another, cheaper vendor or do it yourself (something that Mac users can't do).

Co-sign. The only reason you wipe your OS is just for housekeeping purposes if you're a more advanced Windows user (basically throws away all the stuff you had on there but don't need and helps you keep organized). If you have a little knowledge of what you're doing and possess the right tools, a Windows-based machine will run ATLEAST as reliably as any Mac out there.

Like I said in my first post, I totally agree with you about building your own system. I've done it before, and it's the only way I'll ever own a PC. I do wish I could do the same with a Mac, although the parts used by Apple are pretty solid so I don't have as much of an issue with it as I do Windows based systems. Hopefully, this all changes with Apple being on Intel now, and I'll be able to run OS X on a custom built Intel system.

Now...someone mentioned workouts. For non-cardio it does fine, but if you plan on running and using it, get one with flash memory so you don't have to worry bout moving parts moving where you don't want them! (Since the Zen uses a micro HDD instead of flash)

:cheers:

Like I said, i have a Nano, which is flash so it doesnt matter, but when i do cardio, i just hook it onto the display board anyways. If you do get an iPod, a protective case is a must. At least for me, im really hard on crap like that. My iPod gets pummelled constantly. My cell phone should get a medal for surviving longer than 6 months.

(I wondered why so many were viewing this thread til I got to the "cat fight". Funny stuff there!)

No doubt.

It's my personal preference. If I had the option of using a Mac or a PC, I'd choose the PC 110% of the time. Like I said, Macs are for people who do art or do music...artsy people. And I don't have a clue? I've used Macs, I don't like them...so I have a clue that I don't like them. Just like you shouldn't buy a car because it's "pretty", you shouldn't buy a computer because it "looks nice"

hmmm, I am a 3D software engineer who works on code everyday, does hardware driver development and uses a Mac. Seems to work okay for me. I love that I can get a UNIX terminal anytime I want, I can use gcc to compile software and the development environment is free with the OS (among a bunch of other things). I am definitely not artsy nor do I create music.

I also love that I have iTunes (all my music is there and I sync to a shuffle and a 60GB ipod which I also use as a harddrive to back up my home directory, heck I can even install the OS my ipod and boot from it if I want). I love iPhoto , which just really works well for pictures. If I want to burn a DVD there is iDVD and iMovie to create the content, Mail works great and I happen to use Firefox as my browser. So the part of my life that is on the computer just works and I do not have to worry about it.

As for being back on the subject... I would get the 30 GB ipod unless you love the nano form factor. With the nano the cost is the small form factor. With the 30 GB you should be able to put all your music on it and then use the rest of your space for files to keep a back up of important data.

Oh, one more thing. If you get the 30 and it is really too big to run with, spend a few bucks and get the small shuffle, it IS really an awesome device for exercise.

My 2 sense.

ACTUALLY.... you put words in my mouth. I NEVER had an issue with you and while I know you thought I talked **** about you with you know which group, I never did. Find me ONE example of me ANYWHERE talkin ****. You ASSUMED I did just because I am still friends with said people and I didn't go and take a side, but in reality I could care less about what went on and I was never involved in the whole situation.

YOU are the one who took me off as your friend on myspace. YOU were the one who decided we don't like each other. I have no issues with you or anyone at ES, and when it comes to you all and the DTC, I am on neutral grounds. Call me Switzerland. So don't say that WE don't care for each other much when YOU are the only one that really feels that way.

I have NEVER been in a fight with a girl, barely even in arguments. I don't care about girls enough to fight about ANYTHING with them. The only thing I think is valid to fight about it relationship stuff, and that sort of thing, for me, only happens with males. I will fight hardcore with a guy, but I don't care about females.

So, you may not like me, and that's fine. But don't say that I dislike you when I never said that to anybody.

Sorry, hijacked thread.

are there any good mp3 players that AREN'T Ipods? I do not support Apple or the Macintosh conglomerate, and I would like one that would not feed money to that monopoly.

Creative Labs n I-River make em.....i have the 60 gig video Ipod.....cant say enough great things about it......its my photo album, movie collection, and music collection in one....yoou CAN get good armbands for it and you can even get a cable to watch your movies on tv...awesome buy!

Archived