Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPod Question

codeorama

I grew up using Macintoshes- they used to be the only computers in schools. I don't like how they're so "artsy" and so "easy." They're for yuppies and people that like bright colors.

And do you not understand sarcasm? Yes, technically Mac isn't a "monopoly", but those words were chosen for their sarcasm value.

macs are for yuppies? i've heard it all. :doh:

graphic designers and music professionals use them because they are light years ahead of normal pc's when it comes to those applications.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but personally I think even the nano is too big.

:D

I went with the Mobiblu cube which uses MP3 format and avoided the issues with Apple's proprietary approach.

It's only up to 1GB but that holds more than enough workout music for me. :D

Just to let you know, Apple does not use a proprietary approach to their MP3 player. In-fact, it's possibly the most diverse MP3 player in-terms of supported formats. It plays, MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, Lossless, MOV and AVI. Just to let you know.

Also, to MissU, I love you to death, but you obviously have no clue about Apple, or the Macintosh. Also, if you don't like a computer that's much easier to use, that's your problem ... I mean, I'd prefer to have a computer that allows me to create a new user, without having to wipe the entire system first. But based on your posts in this thread, I'd suggest staying away from these conversations. ;)

And do you not understand sarcasm? Yes, technically Mac isn't a "monopoly", but those words were chosen for their sarcasm value.

I do understand sarcasm, but when you say things like "the Macintosh conglomerate" it makes it hard not to interpret what you say literally.

macs are for yuppies? i've heard it all. :doh:

Yeah really. I'm a proud Mac user and I don't consider myself a yuppie. Nor am I blinded by "bright colors." Sheesh... :doh:

Also, to MissU, I love you to death, but you obviously have no clue about Apple, or the Macintosh. Also, if you don't like a computer that's much easier to use, that's your problem ... I mean, I'd prefer to have a computer that allows me to create a new user, without having to wipe the entire system first. But based on your posts in this thread, I'd suggest staying away from these conversations. ;)

Oh yeah ... and don't forget ... you must be one of these (They're for yuppies and people that like bright colors) since you like Apple products.

You big friggin yuppie you. Go ahead and rock that neon pink ... that neon green ... and that neon blue.

You big yuppie who love bright colors.

I have the Ipod 60GB. I use mine mostly in the car though so the portability isn't as big an issue to me. I store everything on it. I have all the Sean Taylor videos from here that were done. Everyone loves that bad to the bone video.

Just to let you know, Apple does not use a proprietary approach to their MP3 player. In-fact, it's possibly the most diverse MP3 player in-terms of supported formats. It plays, MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, Lossless, MOV and AVI. Just to let you know.

Most decent MP3 players support all of your listed formats. Besides, no one EVER really uses AIFF.

Also, you don't seem to have any knowledge of the Windows platform, yourself. Wiping the entire system to add users is an entirely pointless procedure when you can add users any number of ways with Windows without changing much of anything. The problem I personally have with Macs is their hardware and pricing. Honestly, they are not nearly as customizable as your average PC on the hardware level and previously lacked software support for a number of useful applications available for Windows. Of course, the latter has been resolved recently when Apple caved and is releasing a tool that will allow people to install windows on their machines. "High end" Apples also tend to lag behind the rest of high end technology.

As far as cost goes, Steve Jobs evidently loves to gouge consumers' wallets. I can build a PC comparable to any Mac out there at a significantly reduced cost (heck, even Dell is priced better most of the time). The iPod is also WAY overpriced... but they get away with it based on product popularity and "ease of use".

You're correct on the first part, but wrong on the second.

The DRM has nothing to do with the MP3 player itself, and that's true with any MP3 player. It's attached to the music files themselves. Yes, songs purchased from iTunes come "equipped" with its own flavor of DRM, but its a lot less cumbersome than other companies' DRM.

But the iPod isn't the most diverse MP3 player in supported formats. One of the ways other companies like Creative have tried to one-up the iPod is by increasing the number of formats. It hasn't worked. And why is that? Because .mp3 is the one most people use. So why should I care if the iPod supports OGG?

Read this awesome essay to find out why the iPod hasn't been stopped and why it probably won't happen any time soon.

Of course, the latter has been resolved recently when Apple caved and is releasing a tool that will allow people to install windows on their machines.

That's the furthest thing from the truth. Apple has been prepping for this for a while now -- that's why they moved to the Intel chip and not to any of the other (in some cases, faster) processor alternatives.

As far as cost goes, Steve Jobs evidently loves to gouge consumers' wallets.

Alienware charges an arm and a leg for their computers, too.

The iPod is also WAY overpriced... but they get away with it based on product popularity and "ease of use".

Again, not true. Go to any Best Buy or Circuit City and you'll see that the iPod is very competitively priced. That's another reason no rival has been able to wrest more than a tiny amount of market share from Apple.

Oh yeah ... and don't forget ... you must be one of these (They're for yuppies and people that like bright colors) since you like Apple products.

You big friggin yuppie you. Go ahead and rock that neon pink ... that neon green ... and that neon blue.

You big yuppie who love bright colors.

oh damn...are you serious? You are seriously going to jump in on this?

Most decent MP3 players support all of your listed formats. Besides, no one EVER really uses AIFF.

Also, you don't seem to have any knowledge of the Windows platform, yourself. Wiping the entire system to add users is an entirely pointless procedure when you can add users any number of ways with Windows without changing much of anything. The problem I personally have with Macs is their hardware and pricing. Honestly, they are not nearly as customizable as your average PC on the hardware level and previously lacked software support for a number of useful applications available for Windows. Of course, the latter has been resolved recently when Apple caved and is releasing a tool that will allow people to install windows on their machines. "High end" Apples also tend to lag behind the rest of high end technology.

As far as cost goes, Steve Jobs evidently loves to gouge consumers' wallets. I can build a PC comparable to any Mac out there at a significantly reduced cost (heck, even Dell is priced better most of the time). The iPod is also WAY overpriced... but they get away with it based on product popularity and "ease of use".

Umm, I do know a pretty good amount about Windows, first off. The scenario I used was a very extreme one, but I decided to use it anyway, based on the absurd nature of the posts I was responding to.

However, I have had quite a few PCs that I've had to repair for clients that when I would create a new user it would just get caught into an Infinite Loop (to use some obscure Apple jargon), and the final solution is to wipe it clean, and start all over. Now I'm not saying that you have to do that for all, I've used a lot of Windows machines, including the one that's right next to my G5 under my desk, and most of them work well ... most of the time.

When you start talking customization or any of that other stuff, I'm not going to say you're wrong, and I never tried to say otherwise. However, Apple's while not giving the user the ability to replace processor (Apple doesn't support it, but it is possible), or certain items such as Motherboard etc. However, when it comes to other general components (HD, RAM, Video Card[in some cases], etc.), they are just as easy to replace on a Mac. And most of these components are so standard there's no need to purchase a specific Mac version, the "Windows" version will work fine.

I will not refute the statement that you can't custom build a Mac. That's true, and in some cases I wish I could. However, now that Apple can run on Intel, I'm sure you'll see the capability for people to install OS X on and Intel based system, which would then make your point null and void.

Now, let's move on to cost, Apple's system are definitely not the cheapest of systems, however there's a common misconception that they are way overpriced. Which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact most Macs are very comparable in price, especially on the Laptop side. I wish I could find the article, where someone built a PC, I think on Dell's website, and they added all of the components that Macs come with out of the box (including software), and the price was within the same range. And again, with the new Intel switch I'm sure we'll see much more parity in price.

Lastly, you say that Apple has "caved" by offering a way for Macs to run Windows software. While Apple doesn't have all of the same software that Windows has, it does have a pretty good amount. In-fact, most programs out there are both for Mac and PC. Especially, the most common ones (Office, CS, Maya, etc.). Now there are some apps that are crucial that don't run on the Mac, namely CAD programs, however most times there are comparable apps that run just as well and do the same thing, and even recognize the same file format. When you say Apple caved, as if they had to release Boot Camp, again you're mistaken. Because for years Apple has had Virtual PC, which is (now) from Microsoft, which for what most people wanted, worked fine. Now if you want to say that Apple wanted to give potential customers that extra little push they need to jump into the Mac waters, then you'd be correct. Also, when you say Apple's software "inefficiencies" have finally been resolved due to Apple Caving and releasing Boot Camp, you are again mistaken, unless you've been under a rock the past 4+ years. Apple has seen major increases in software support from vendors that never had their software on Macs, the reason for this is because of OS X. Vendors from Alias, to Intuit, to SPSS have all resurrected software titles that were, either, never made for the Mac, or were pulled at some point. This new Boot Camp feature will only give More developers that opportunity to get their software out there for Macs.

So, in conclusion, you've made some good points, but a lot of them seem to be misguided. Hopefully I was able to shed some light on it all for you.

P.S. Fight_On, I haven't really been paying a whole lot of attention to the MP3 player market, so I stand corrected in my statement about Apple's format support. Also, I understand the whole DRM issue and how it works. I think I was just trying to make the point that Apple does allow you to use other formats, outside of AAC (DRM), for your own music. :cheers:

It's my personal preference. If I had the option of using a Mac or a PC, I'd choose the PC 110% of the time. Like I said, Macs are for people who do art or do music...artsy people. And I don't have a clue? I've used Macs, I don't like them...so I have a clue that I don't like them. Just like you shouldn't buy a car because it's "pretty", you shouldn't buy a computer because it "looks nice"

Yeah ... just calling out a stupid assumption or opinion when I see one.

so sorry if I offended you. If I said "democrats are hippies and sandal wearers," people would be smart enough to realize that it....is.....SARCASM. Slightly biased sarcasm, and yes, I do believe it to an extent, but sarcasm nonetheless.

Get over it.

so sorry if I offended you. If I said "democrats are hippies and sandal wearers," people would be smart enough to realize that it....is.....SARCASM. Slightly biased sarcasm, and yes, I do believe it to an extent, but sarcasm nonetheless.

Get over it.

Yeah ... yet when you posted earlier ... and tried to be sarcastic no one got it either ... and started questioning your use of words.

Maybe you should try to be a little more clear ... use a smiley wink or something ...

I do not support Apple or the Macintosh conglomerate, and I would like one that would not feed money to that monopoly.

I agree 100%, I cannot stand overcontrolling companies that operate like a monopoly!! Thats why I buy Microsoft!! :D

Yeah ... yet when you posted earlier ... and tried to be sarcastic no one got it either ... and started questioning your use of words.

Maybe you should try to be a little more clear ... use a smiley wink or something ...

sounds like their problem, not mine. It's a message board, people don't hear tones of voice.

and I don't "try" to be sarcastic... I AM sarcastic...99% of the time. When people realize that, maybe they won't get their feelings hurt when I talk about their precious macintosh computers.

It's my personal preference. If I had the option of using a Mac or a PC, I'd choose the PC 110% of the time. Like I said, Macs are for people who do art or do music...artsy people. And I don't have a clue? I've used Macs, I don't like them...so I have a clue that I don't like them. Just like you shouldn't buy a car because it's "pretty", you shouldn't buy a computer because it "looks nice"

That's why I didn't jump on you when you answered my question from earlier -- you have experience with a Mac, you just don't like it. And that's cool, even though you're the very first person I've ever talked to who has used a Mac long enough to get accustomed to it, yet thinks Windows is better. I guess I should never say never.

But let's make one thing clear -- only a total idiot would buy a computer because it's pretty. I, for one, just think of it as a bonus. :D

Alienware charges an arm and a leg for their computers, too.

I have to say that I hate it when Mac ppl try to bring up this type of thing. Alienware is one company and they produce something that any other company can produce at a lower price, and they still sell their stuff so whatever. I could build the same thing as Alienware with the exact same parts they list on their website and save about $1500-$2000 on their highest priced systems

Apple computers on the other hand, you couldn't build your own apple computer. You don't have the ability to purchace all the parts and build your own OSX platform machine, to get it you have to go to apple, that is

the problem, there is no competition for an OSX based system and therefore if you are say a graphics designer and you need one of these then you have to pay through the nose (as opposed to other places on your body) to get one.

I am a PC user/technician and I have built hundreds of computers in my brief career, I love the PC and the fact that I can go out and ensure that I am getting the highest quailty parts to go into my computer, I can ensure that I have excellent Tech support that is going to fix my problem instead of wiping out the OS and reloading it(this is almost never the right option in my personal view).

That being said, Mac computers are made to be the best for graphics design and for music creation. PC's are better for Gaming and if you have a problem you are 10 times more likely to find someone to be able to work on your PC than you are on a Mac. Those are the absolutes, I feel that both are on equal playing fields as far as internet browsing and standard Office applications. And with Both you are paying your money to Bill Gates.... Remember that Gates owns a large chunk of Apple.

Apple going forth and deciding to put windows on their computers as an option is their attempt to compete with Dell, HP, and the other major PC manufacturers.

As far as MP3 players, from what I know about the iPod, you have to use iTunes to load the music onto it. The thing my friends like about the Creative MP3 players is that you can just drop the songs onto the drive letter that appears when you plug it in and the songs play, no having to mess with any software or anything.

As I said before, if you already use iTunes, then the iPod isn't a bad idea, but if you want a device that doesn't need any special software then go with a Creative.

I agree 100%, I cannot stand overcontrolling companies that operate like a monopoly!! Thats why I buy Microsoft!! :D

i didn't say i don't support those TYPES of companies...just macintosh.

Here....

I HATE MACINTOSH COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care if a company IS a monopoly OR a conglomerate...if I hated big business, I wouldn't be a republican. BUT... my hatred is for macintosh in itself. If you don't agree with me, I don't care. You don't have to sit there and tell me I'm stupid for not wanting to be just like everyone else and sit there with an ipod just like everybody else.

Archived