Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Taylor case may change

spanishomelette

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20060331-122938-8497r.htm

Taylor case may change

March 31, 2006

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

There might be yet another twist in the ongoing criminal case involving Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor. Edward Carhart, one of Taylor's attorneys for the trial on assault and battery charges that is supposed to start on April 10 in Miami, said yesterday the state is considering changes.

"The whole case is on the table," said Carhart, who expects to hear from assistant state attorney Michael Grieco today about a review of the charges.

--David Elfin

I think it sounds like the DA knows he doesn't have a case and he's trying to bargain to save face. When he says the whole case is on the table I assume that to mean they're going to work out a guilty plea to a charge that doesn't carry the mandatory jail time. I think this is good news.

A twist!?!? what kind of twist? How can he leave us hanging like that, does he call that an article? All i can decipher is that when he said the whole case is on the table that maybe theres a chance that they will throw it away altogether. But idk thats a pretty random guess, it could mean anything.

I need to go to sleep earlier. I swear.

The key to the whole article is this : "the state is considering changes"

Therefore either a continuance, lesser charge or dismissal.

With all of the time that has passed if new charges were being presented than it would have been made public immediately.

my 2 cents.

Earlier in the week, the Post ran an article that Taylor showed to workouts and in that article one of the lawyers said that there had been a significant discovery that night which allowed Sean to feel comfortable enough to come up to the workouts. I just double checked the article though and it seems that the statement or sentence has been removed from the article. This was in an article in the afternoon after Larry Michael hammered them on redskins.com.

Anyhow, I'm hoping this is a good thing.

I think it sounds like the DA knows he doesn't have a case and he's trying to bargain to save face. When he says the whole case is on the table I assume that to mean they're going to work out a guilty plea to a charge that doesn't carry the mandatory jail time. I think this is good news.

I agree...I think this is excellent news, and Taylor will plea down to disturbing the peace or some other crappy misdemeanor that carries 30 hours of community service or something like that.

This was a publicity stunt for Grieco, as I believe he wants to run for DA in the next election. I can't recall for sure, but I remember reading something like that in the local papers (I used to live in South Florida). He just wanted to get on TV and get his name in the papers; now that's all over, so he's going to either drop the charges, or get him on something minor to save face.

Excellent news, ladies and gentlemen!! :cheers:

Earlier in the week, the Post ran an article that Taylor showed to workouts and in that article one of the lawyers said that there had been a significant discovery that night which allowed Sean to feel comfortable enough to come up to the workouts. I just double checked the article though and it seems that the statement or sentence has been removed from the article. This was in an article in the afternoon after Larry Michael hammered them on redskins.com.

Anyhow, I'm hoping this is a good thing.

It's all coming together; I remember that phrase from the article. Taylor is getting off with a slap on the wrist. It's all good in Ashburn!!

This article gives no information at all. At this point its futile to speculate on what is going on. If they change the charges, then probably the defense will ask for a delay and it will stay up in the air. I suspect that the defense is playing hard ball and the District Attorney is starting to sweat. We will just have to wait and see.

I know a lot of people are saying it, but it seems like the state just doesn't have enough evidence on him. As much as I hate seeing sports stars getting exceptions, I think this may just be a slap on the wrist at most...

If the State doesn't have the evidence, then they can't convict. The Constitution guarantees this for anybody. It has nothing to do with sports stars getting special treatment or exceptions. :doh:

At this point its futile to speculate on what is going on.

Well, first of all, this is an internet message board, so its never futile to speculate on anything. :silly:

Second of all, we know a lot of the facts in the case (and there are probably a lot we don't know). The "suspicion" that I've had (and that others have shared) is that this has been a he said/she said case all along and because of this, its not a winnable case for the prosecution. Combined with the other evidence, for example Sean showing up for the first day of voluntary workouts, and it sheds a very positive light on the outcome of this case.

Personally, although I'm an optomist, I believe that the case will be either thrown out, or the charges will be lowered to something that comes with a slap on the wrist such as disturbing the peace, or some other random misdemeanor. We will see, I guess...

:fingersx:

Archived