Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nintendo Revolution's tech specs.

QBkilla56

Of course Sony is in trouble....but why? because Jbooma says so :rolleyes:

I dunno... it's a lot more than just the gaming industry.

Apple (iPod) has absolutely EATEN SONY'S LUNCH in the portable music industry. Discman? Walkman? 15 years ago that was Sony's bread and butter... a cash cow in a market they dominated. Nowadays... Sony is Apple's b*tch in that market.

And TV's... many have noticed Samsung's rise in the TV markets. Go to any Best Buy or electronics store, and you'll see a TV section dominated by many brands other than Sony.

Reports coming out of Hollywood mention that Sony Pictures is floundering as well.

And this is all unrelated to Microsoft's recent rise and domination in the gaming console maket.

Yes, Sony IS in trouble. Very much so. Not just because jbooma says so. They will be laying off thousands in the very near future, a company first. And that will most likely be just the first wave.

The delay in the release of the PS2 might very well be a bigger deal than any of us imagined.

Apple (iPod) has absolutely EATEN SONY'S LUNCH in the portable music industry. Discman? Walkman? 15 years ago that was Sony's bread and butter... a cash cow in a market they dominated. Nowadays... Sony is Apple's b*tch in that market.

And TV's... many have noticed Samsung's rise in the TV markets. Go to any Best Buy or electronics store, and you'll see a TV section dominated by many brands other than Sony.

And this is all unrelated to Microsoft's recent rise and domination in the gaming console maket.

Yes, Sony IS in trouble. Very much so. Not just because jbooma says so. They will be laying off thousands in the very near future, a company first. And that will most likely be just the first wave.

The delay in the release of the PS2 might very well be a bigger deal than any of us imagined.

That is what they said about the PS2 (I assume you meant PS3 in your statement). Remember the PS2 launch? Came out way after the Dreamcast, a few out-there analysts (myself) were declaring an end to the reign of Sony because it took too long to get its system out there to the masses. Now we looked stupid for saying as much. I would like nothing more than a crushing Sony defeat, but it is not happening in this console generation, and the PS3 will outsell the 360, case-closed.

Reports coming out of Hollywood mention that Sony Pictures is floundering as well.

I think Sony is fine, and will continue to be. People buy Samsung TV's because they are cheaper, but they are manufactured with cheap parts as well. I work at best buy so I know what the deal is. I'm no Microsoft hater either, I have the 360 and love it, and I used to like Nintendo until they concentrated solely on entertaining toddlers. I don't think Nintendo is gonna be down and out, but the Rev will have the similar problem that the Gamecube had

I think Sony is fine, and will continue to be. People buy Samsung TV's because they are cheaper, but they are manufactured with cheap parts as well. I work at best buy so I know what the deal is. I'm no Microsoft hater either, I have the 360 and love it, and I used to like Nintendo until they concentrated solely on entertaining toddlers. I don't think Nintendo is gonna be down and out, but the Rev will have the similar problem that the Gamecube had

if it does, they will have completly lost my trust. i spent so many years with my bad decision to save 50$ on a gamecube. screw me over once, shame on them. screw me over twice, shame on me. and i hate being put to shame! :mad:

if it does, they will have completly lost my trust. i spent so many years with my bad decision to save 50$ on a gamecube. screw me over once, shame on them. screw me over twice, shame on me. and i hate being put to shame! :mad:

Well that's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. In the long run I just don't think Nintendo will be able to get the quality 3rd party developers that Sony and Microsoft currently have. Someday even kids will get tired of having a system that consists of 80% Mario games

Well that's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. In the long run I just don't think Nintendo will be able to get the quality 3rd party developers that Sony and Microsoft currently have. Someday even kids will get tired of having a system that consists of 80% Mario games

are you kidding, the gamecube didn't have even one serious mario game (not even nintendo acknoledges sunshine as the sequal to mario64.) but so far, from what i've hear, 3rd party developers are actually excited to make games for the revolution with its special controller.

are you kidding, the gamecube didn't have even one serious mario game (not even nintendo acknoledges sunshine as the sequal to mario64.) but so far, from what i've hear, 3rd party developers are actually excited to make games for the revolution with its special controller.

Yea controller is one thing, but it comes down to the hardware in the end, and that's what developers look for first

You're also forget to add their piracy protection scandal.

And the fact that they continually downgraded the quality of components that go into electronics for the past ten years. Shoot, I'm still trying find a pair of old MDR-V700 headphones that had the metal casings. Ahhh the days when Sony actually gave a damn about their products. I also have a pair of Sony earbuds that rip apart every three months. (My experience with them lead me to get the extended warranty) I've gone through 3 pairs of those so far. Don't let me even mention my sony receiver...

That is what they said about the PS2 (I assume you meant PS3 in your statement). Remember the PS2 launch? Came out way after the Dreamcast, a few out-there analysts (myself) were declaring an end to the reign of Sony because it took too long to get its system out there to the masses. Now we looked stupid for saying as much. I would like nothing more than a crushing Sony defeat, but it is not happening in this console generation, and the PS3 will outsell the 360, case-closed.

That was just a wee bit different though. That was the Playstation's bigger, badder, older brother coming out against a system that was technically worse and lacked major developer support. Playstation 1 was the biggest console of the 90's, it just steamrolled the Dreamcast because SEGA didn't have enough mainstream firepower to keep up (quirky 1st party games and Japanese ports aren't gonna win the average American gamer over), and Nintendo shot themselves in the foot by insisting on using carts for N64, then coming out late with the Gamecube, which had it's own fair share of problems that have already been discussed in this thread. Only Microsoft had the guns to stand up to Sony's dominance of the market, and the XBox certainly did that, it just took about 4 years to begin to catch up to the stranglehold Sony had on video game retail. The numbers show that since mid 2004 or so, Xbox had actually surpassed PS2 in monthly sales- Microsoft knew the Xbox wasn't gonna immediately light the world on fire, and they willingly accepted losing money on each unit made, but it's a marathon for them, not a sprint, and with the delay in the PS3 and the head start the 360 has for it, I think by the end of this next generation in 4 or 5 years, we could be looking at a new king in the console world. Not to mention Microsoft still has the juggernaut that is Halo 3 in the pipeline, plus a Halo movie produced by Peter Jackson in development, and it's seemingly becoming more evident that Microsoft is turning the tide. Even Rockstar, with it's Grand Theft Auto series, which was once a marquee Playstation franchise, is becoming cozy with Microsoft. I know if I were Sony I'd be more than a little worried about the future.

That was just a wee bit different though. That was the Playstation's bigger, badder, older brother coming out against a system that was technically worse and lacked major developer support. Playstation 1 was the biggest console of the 90's, it just steamrolled the Dreamcast because SEGA didn't have enough mainstream firepower to keep up (quirky 1st party games and Japanese ports aren't gonna win the average American gamer over), and Nintendo shot themselves in the foot by insisting on using carts for N64, then coming out late with the Gamecube, which had it's own fair share of problems that have already been discussed in this thread. Only Microsoft had the guns to stand up to Sony's dominance of the market, and the XBox certainly did that, it just took about 4 years to begin to catch up to the stranglehold Sony had on video game retail. The numbers show that since mid 2004 or so, Xbox had actually surpassed PS2 in monthly sales- Microsoft knew the Xbox wasn't gonna immediately light the world on fire, and they willingly accepted losing money on each unit made, but it's a marathon for them, not a sprint, and with the delay in the PS3 and the head start the 360 has for it, I think by the end of this next generation in 4 or 5 years, we could be looking at a new king in the console world. Not to mention Microsoft still has the juggernaut that is Halo 3 in the pipeline, plus a Halo movie produced by Peter Jackson in development, and it's seemingly becoming more evident that Microsoft is turning the tide. Even Rockstar, with it's Grand Theft Auto series, which was once a marquee Playstation franchise, is becoming cozy with Microsoft. I know if I were Sony I'd be more than a little worried about the future.

Microsoft is actually not nearly as big a player as you guys think. In the US market its in a firm 2nd place. Xbox is a joke in Japan, and in Europe it struggles. Even in the US market, the Nintendo DS is quickly becoming a powerhouse, and no one should be fooled into thinking that Microsoft is making any moves on Sony's position. It isn't. Look at the sales in Europe, Japan AND the US. And not just hardware, I am talking software, which as anyone who follows the industry knows, is how companies make their money. There are a lot of factors that will determine the next generation, but a lackluster Xbox 360 launch (Which is how I and a decent amount of others see it) + a delay with the PS3 will not equal some sort of altering of the hierarchy. I respect Microsoft for trying this route, but until they conquer Japan and Europe, they are globally a third fiddle and locally a second one.

many people have the same thoughts as me on the topic, but, fwiw, here's my :2cents:

i have been a nintendo loyalist thru and thru. the only times in the past 8 years that i haven't wondered why i stay true is the month after the release of a zelda or metroid game. i just pawned my ds and gba sp for a psp and couldn't be happier. :D

i saw someone mention that one thing that will make the rev. great is that you can download the old nes games....well, i'm pretty sure you can do that on xbox360, you can do it on your pc, and besides, the only reason those games seem "cool" is nostalgia. when all is said and done, it's still an 8-bit game from almost 20 years ago. seriously, other than tyson's punch out, what game will you really get a kick out of? dirtbike? karate? even smb, in college, my friends and i used to have a competition to see who could beat bowser the fastest. you could get through that game in under 2 minutes. :doh: you can beat zelda w/ out dying.

if it drops for 150, i might buy it, just because it's hard for me to justify spending 500 bucks on a gaming machine, especially w/ a 2 year old that doesn't play video games YET ;). i wouldn't want to miss playing any zelda or metroid games, mario i can live without. but, i'm going to go ahead and predict that in a couple of years, nintendo will either be bought out or just merge w/ microsoft.......xbox doesn't sell in japan, nintendo doesn't sell well here, it'd be a good strategy for both of them. that is, of course, unless the rev. sells VERY well.

nintendo is down, but not out yet. remember, the revolution is significantly cheaper than the ps3 and 360. possibly as cheap as $150. i just hope that 3rd party developers don't leave nintendo out this time, because that was the main problem of the gaycube, no good games. (and a crappy controller, and smaller disc sizes, and no online support)

yeah and by the time it comes out the 360 will probally be arround $200. Nintendo has great ideas but they are like dreamy pot-heads.

many people have the same thoughts as me on the topic, but, fwiw, here's my :2cents:

i have been a nintendo loyalist thru and thru. the only times in the past 8 years that i haven't wondered why i stay true is the month after the release of a zelda or metroid game. i just pawned my ds and gba sp for a psp and couldn't be happier. :D

i saw someone mention that one thing that will make the rev. great is that you can download the old nes games....well, i'm pretty sure you can do that on xbox360, you can do it on your pc, and besides, the only reason those games seem "cool" is nostalgia. when all is said and done, it's still and 8-bit game from almost 20 years ago. seriously, other than tyson's punch out, what game will you really get a kick out of? dirtbike? karate? even smb, in college, my friends and i used to have a competition to see who could beat bowser the fastest. you could get through that game in under 2 minutes. :doh: you can beat zelda w/ out dying.

if it drops for 150, i might buy it, just because it's hard for me to justify spending 500 bucks on a gaming machine, especially w/ a 2 year old that doesn't play video games YET ;). i wouldn't want to miss playing any zelda or metroid games, mario i can live without. but, i'm going to go ahead and predict that in a couple of years, nintendo will either be bought out or just merge w/ microsoft.......xbox doesn't sell in japan, nintendo doesn't sell well here, it'd be a good strategy for both of them. that is, of course, unless the rev. sells VERY well.

its not just nes games you can download, though, everything up to N64 will be downloadable

Where the hell is the new Zelda that was supposed to be here a yr o two ago?THat's the only good thing Nintendo has going.

supposed to drop last november, then this april, and has now been pushed back to september, to coincide w/ the release of the revolution. you'll be able to play it on the gamecube, but there will be significant parts of the game that will only be available on the revolution. bastages.

its not just nes games you can download, though, everything up to N64 will be downloadable

ok, that doesn't add much if you ask me. mario party? updated ones already on the gamecube. bond? check. all you get out of that is a couple of zelda games that many people already have on the gamecube because they have already been made available for it. and still, why does the ability to download outdated games get people so excited?

"but, i'm going to go ahead and predict that in a couple of years, nintendo will either be bought out or just merge w/ microsoft.......xbox doesn't sell in japan, nintendo doesn't sell well here, it'd be a good strategy for both of them. that is, of course, unless the rev. sells VERY well."

This will NEVER happen.

This will NEVER happen.

what makes you think that? it's a symbiotic relationship. if the revolution doesn't do WAY better than the gamecube, nintendo is out of options, at least platform-wise. there's always the sega option of just being a 3rd party game designer.

ps. i didn't come up w/ that theory on my own. just fyi.

what makes you think that? it's a symbiotic relationship. if the revolution doesn't do WAY better than the gamecube, nintendo is out of options, at least platform-wise. there's always the sega option of just being a 3rd party game designer.

ps. i didn't come up w/ that theory on my own. just fyi.

Nintendo is still too profitable at this stage to become a third party developer for the next two years.

And having played old games on old systems, I don't play them for nostalgia, I play them because they tend to be damn good. There are a lot of classic games I have never played (I got HOOKED on Tecmo Bowl while I let my Madden 2004 go to waste), and I think that as a selling point its a rather good one with the hardcore crowd. The controller is going to wreck house, the first time you play Zelda by swinging your sword by swinging your arm, you will be hooked.

Archived