Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question - Does the Redskin Logo have a name?

skinsaddict

I still think we should change the name.
Me too, obviously. (see below :)

:doh: It is obvious that neither of you has a factual clue about the history of this team nor the orgins of its logo and name. Therefore, you should actually do some research before making yourselves look like bigger idiots than you already do.

This topic has been covered at nauseum on this board, and actual facts have been used in the debate against the fanatical PC crowd (which happens to be mostly made up of liberal Whites who tell everyone else what they should be offended by). If you truly are a fan of this team, than stop making yourselves out to be asses and find out the non-offensive truth about the logo and name.

Im not sure about the name but I think the logo is a little different version from the original logo ceated by William "Lone Star" Dietz. Lone Star was our 1st redskin coach (Lud Wray coach the Boston Braves). In 1933 -34 Since The Boston Braves football team moved away from playing on the braves field, so the braves baseball team said the football team had to rename thier team. George Preston Marshall and Lone Star renamed the team "redskins" as a tribute to the coach and to his players whom he coached at Haskell in Kansas City (he brought about 4 Native American players with him) and who he also played with in Carlisle Pa ( The Carlisle Indians, where he also started learning about coaching from Pop Warner). Lone Star was an artist and also an art teacher, he has works in the Smithsonian.

Some one said thet the logo looks like the old indian nickel. Lone Star got his name from his uncle One Star. One Star travled with Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Shows. It is also believed One Star was the model for the nickel.

The picture also could have been himself (who Know's for sure)as he often liked to dress up in his Native american Attire. You can see his original pic and a pic of him below.

And with all of that history how could we ever change the teams name. Native Americans played a bigger role in football in the early days and all that is left to remember any of those guys are the mascots in Washington and Kansas City (The Only Minority Mascots in the NFL).

I thought i read in one of the Redskin programs back in 61 when DC Stadium opened that they took their name from for the white men who dressed up as Indians to stage the Boston Tea Party and they took thier logo from the Indian head Nickel

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/Washington_Redskins.jpg

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/goldmountainmining/buffalo-indian-head-full.jpg

I have a similar sort of question.

What is the significance of "hogs" or "hogettes"? What relation does a pig have to the Redskins? Thanks for explaining!

CarrollsMine99.

It has no relation. If you are a Redskins fan, you'd know the story already. But since you are only 25 I'll give a break and explain. Back in the early 80's Joe Bugel was yelling at his offensive linemen who were I guess slacking off and since our line was bigger than most Offensive and Defensive lines, He yelled something like "come on you bunch of Hogs, get with it" or something like that. And the name was born.

Unfortunately i can't remember who the logo is named and made after, but there is an exact bust of the Native American at FedEx Field on the Club level. I seen it at the scrimmage against the Ravens last August. I actually took a pic of it with my cell phone but it didn't come out too clear because of the glare from the enclosed glass case the bust was sitting in. The Redskins logo is that of a famous Native American who has an important place in the history of this country. I don't remember any further info than thatFor anyone who wants the answer, go to FedEx Field.

If I am not mistaken, the logo is commonly referred to as "The Chief".

I like this one:cheers:

To those people that want to change the name:

If they change the name, I'm no longer supporting this organization. For me, the romanticism is the most thrilling aspect of this organization's potential success. In the instance that the redskins win the super bowl, the romanticism lays in the fact that, as a fan, I stuck threw the worst of the worst (and by that I mean the years when we knew we would finish below .500 and lower) and stuck through the years like '06. Yet, I was still pounding my chest as a REDSKINS fan through thick and thin. If you change the name, in my eyes, you take all that away. I'd be absolutely heartbroken.

The logo is indeed based upon a Chief and so is typically referred to as "The Chief." I'm not sure if the article has been posted on one of the links yet but I read that it was designed and submitted to the organization by an actual chief. Once it was officially adopted in 1972, we all know what happened that year. It ushered in a new winning era for the team.

It represents the proud Native American tradition and to change or remove it would be to remove them from our national memory. Saying our logo is wrong is saying that it is wrong to honor the memory of the first Americans.

And being that we're on the subject, The Cowboys are worse because they stole everything they have, to include this land. But then again if it wasn't for the Cowboys we wouldn't be here or at least most of us. So here’s a toast to the chief, man law? Man Law! Actually I'm glad everything worked out the way it did.....or I wouldn't have been able to enjoy beating the hell out of Cowboy fans at Eastern H.S., East Capitol St, N.E, D.C. and yes that includes in the pit during football practice and knocking the hell out of opponents like H. D. Woodson and Anacostia H.S....Cato June and Brian Leftwich we really know you and you know we do, so don't trip! And just think June got a ring, this year! Hello Hollywood, Valley Green, movie Star how do you do? Simon Elementary School and Hart Junior H.S. Hello!

I believe you are correct. The skins emblem closely resembles an Indian head that was on the face of a Buffalo nickel that I used to have. Damn I wish I still had that nickel!

This is actually quite interesting. I dug through my collection of coins and found my Buffulo Nickel...Now I can not read the year as it is worn, albeit, it so closely resembles the Redskins logo, just like the 1937 one as previously listed on a prior post.

When you look within the diameter of the gold circle on the Redskins emblem, it seems to be an exact replica of the indian head on the nickel....however it seems that the two extra feathers that are attached to the exterior of the gold emblem are an added attachment. So where did the extra feathers come from?

I think I will do a little more research on this particular subject.....

I wouldn't expect anything less from "Playboy1972."

Neither would I....childish though, especially in this thread.

You know it's the offseason when a thread regarding the details of the logo gets this many replies!

We have to do something while we wait patiently for the new season to begin....but a couple of things in between to keep us occupied, like the post season bash and the Beach Blitz....

There are a number of stories of The Chief's identity....

...you have read the most popular ones in this thread...

...for me, I will always call him by the name he went by at the time...

...Lamont Cranston.

Though I wonder if that identity is anymore real than these others...

I have a similar sort of question.

What is the significance of "hogs" or "hogettes"? What relation does a pig have to the Redskins? Thanks for explaining!

CarrollsMine99.

Seriously, you don't know the answer to that and your a Redksin fan (Sorry, I apoligize for that, not meant to offend)? Okay, back in the day (early 80's) Joe Bugel was the O-line coach, he made a reference to how the o-line looked like a bunch of hogs and started calling them the hogs. It caught on and the became known only as "The Hogs", it has nothing to do with the name "Redskins", it only pertains to "The Hogs" on the line of scrimmage. The Hogettes are a bunch of lawyers who thought it was funny and started coming to games dressed as "Hogettes", that too, became a silly tradition (but, everyone in the NFL knows the hogs and the hogettes). I think it was a marketing tool originally started by Danny Boys father in his quest to generate income to prepare for his purchase of this organization (that statement is not based on fact and has no truth to it......I think).

I hope that helps, I am sure someone will point out how wrong I am and tell a different story, but that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Archived