Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

sopranos and dream sequences

ItaliaMuscle

My problem wasn't the dream sequence per se, it was that the show didn't advance the plot. The entire happenings in the show could've taken less than 15 minutes. They want to put Tony in a coma, fine, but make something happen. (kinda reminds me of the steve martin line "here's an idea when you tell a story: have a point it makes it soo much more interesting for the listeners.")

My problem wasn't the dream sequence per se, it was that the show didn't advance the plot. The entire happenings in the show could've taken less than 15 minutes. They want to put Tony in a coma, fine, but make something happen. (kinda reminds me of the steve martin line "here's an idea when you tell a story: have a point it makes it soo much more interesting for the listeners.")

Exactly my point. I fear, based on how the writing was such a let-down last season, that this was just a wasted filler episode in what will ultimately be another season without a true writing climax. I can't figure what David Chase is up to.

Whenever you watch a trailer, scenes or sound-bytes are always edited in a fashion that makes them to be something they're really not. That has happened more the last two seasons than any other I can remember.

yea... like a Bizarro Tony!

And what was up with that light on the horizon? Kinda looked like a pulse on a heartbeat monitor to me...

He's in Costa Mesa, so I assume its a light house. But I'm sure it symbolizes a beacon for Tony to return to the world or go to the light, not sure which one yet. :)

Lots of symbolism in the dream sequences. The light (helicopters) above. His desending the stairs (to hell?) until he falls and stops ... at which point his fever lessens in "real" life.

He is in limbo. Life and death. Heaven and Hell. Family and "family."

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sepinwall/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1142836402123280.xml&coll=1

Tony checks into the Hotel California

Monday, March 20, 2006

WARNING: This column contains major plot spoilers for last night's "Sopranos" episode. If you're waiting until later in the week to watch, read on at extreme peril.

IT'S NOT a dream. It's Purgatory.

When I had my annual summit with "Sopranos" creator David Chase a few weeks ago, I complimented him on having the onions to put a major dream sequence like this so early in the season, considering how many fans complain about the dreams.

"I, frankly, would not call those (episode two scenes) dreams," he said, which sent me scurrying back to watch my DVD over and over again, until (with some help from my wife) I got it.

Here Tony's stuck in Orange County, quite possibly the most personality-free corner of the world, with no way to leave (a k a Purgatory). On one end of town is a shining beacon (Heaven), on the other, a raging forest fire (Hell). Over and over, he stops to assess the worth of his own life, asking, "Who am I? Where am I going?"

Then he steals the identity (sin) of Kevin Finnerty -- a heating salesman who lives in one of the hottest states of the union (Arizona) -- checks into another hotel, and falls down a red staircase, at which point he learns he has Alzheimer's (eternal damnation). And while Carmela's busy in the real world telling him he's not going to Hell, Tony's in Purgatory debating whether to tell his wife this is exactly the fate he has in store.

It may be hair-splitting to call this something other than a dream, but Tony's misadventures in Costa Mesa were much more linear and coherent than his regular dreams have ever been. There were important details scribbled in the margins (the bartender joking, "Around here, it's dead," or the "Are sin, disease and death real?" commercial on the TV), but there was an actual story here instead of Tony bouncing from one surreal tableau to another.

Still, Chase followed last week's watercooler cliffhanger with an 11-minute opening sequence set in a world that's not our own, with a Tony who wasn't quite right (it's startling to hear James Gandolfini's natural speaking voice), and only one split-second nod to the shooting (the brief flash of the doctor shining a light in Tony's eye mixed in with the chopper spotlight).

For years, most of "Sopranos" fandom has been divided into two intersecting sets: those who watch for the whacking and crude humor, and those who watch for the psychiatry and art-house storytelling. By putting the shooting right next to Tony's afterlife business trip, Chase is pushing his chips to the center of the table and telling the audience they had better go all in -- murder and therapy, flatulence jokes and metaphysics -- if they intend to stay at the table for this final season.

So will Tony ever get to check out of this hotel, and, if so, where will he end up? Again, I can't say, but if this season is going to be about a moral accounting for all of Tony's sins, then there's no better place to start.

Back in the physical world, give Edie Falco the Emmy right now. Just give it to her. Seriously. Do not pass Go, do not collect other nominations, just ship the statuette to her apartment today. There is no way any other actress on television is going to have two better scenes this year than Carmela's hallway breakdown and her monologue to Tony, scored perfectly to Tom Petty's "American Girl."

And is there an Emmy category for Best Silent Hug? Because Michael Imperioli was pretty great when he put his arm around Carmela in the hallway. I know scenes where characters sob or give long speeches are stock award-show bait, but these performances went so far past showing off that I actually had to look away a few times out of a feeling I was spying on a private moment between real people.

Some other random notes:

The song played at the end was Moby's "When It's Cold I'd Like To Die," with vocals by Mimi Goese.

The voice of Purgatory Tony's wife wasn't played by Annabella Sciorra, or any other actress who's been on the show before; she's just a generic non-Carmela female voice.

Boy, Janice's gift for making every moment of every day be all about her survives even her brother's shooting, huh? She shows up at the hospital, pretending she's there to help comfort Carmela, then immediately spazzes out so she's the center of attention. If I didn't know Janice so well from the last four seasons, I might have found her freak-out genuine, but this is Livia Soprano's daughter, people. And speaking of which...

Did you catch AJ throwing Livia's "Poor you!" at Meadow during their hybrid car argument? That's at least three other characters who've now used the old bat's pet insult (Tony and Gloria were the others), and it shows just how rotten and contagious the Soprano genes are.

Meanwhile, you have AJ trying to have his Michael Corleone moment with his plan to murder Junior, but the kid's still too dumb and weak to even pass for Fredo. Loved that he chose to waste all the good will from Carmela by telling her he flunked out of school. (If those other two scenes don't get Falco a drama actress Emmy, maybe she can win the comedy award for her delivery of "With your father in a coma!"

The overall mood was grim, but Vito had the line of the night, if not the season, when he speculated about Eugene's suicide, "Maybe he was a homo, felt there was no one he could talk to about it. That happens, too." Oh, Vito, project much?

In the days after the premiere, many people floated the theory that it was really the finale and the rest of the series would be flashbacks leading up to Tony's shooting. Obviously, that's not the way things are going, and it wouldn't have worked, since not enough of interest had happened to the characters since we saw them last. Yes, Janice and Bacala have spawned, and AJ's hair is longer, but it's not like we came back from hiatus with Silvio missing and Chris wearing an eyepatch. The premiere established that Tony's life had been profitable but uneventful since his jog through the woods.

Now, is Agent Harris really that in love with Satriale's veal parm, or he is baiting a hook to turn Christopher into a cooperator? Nothing on this show is a coincidence, and a few scenes after Harris mentioned Matush, the terrorist-supporting drug dealer, we saw a couple of Middle Eastern men chatting up Chrissie at the Bing. Hmm...

Exactly my point. I fear, based on how the writing was such a let-down last season, that this was just a wasted filler episode in what will ultimately be another season without a true writing climax. I can't figure what David Chase is up to.

Whenever you watch a trailer, scenes or sound-bytes are always edited in a fashion that makes them to be something they're really not. That has happened more the last two seasons than any other I can remember.

I'm convinced Chase and the rest of the writers just love to screw with us...

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sepinwall/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1142836402123280.xml&coll=1 For years, most of "Sopranos" fandom has been divided into two intersecting sets: those who watch for the whacking and crude humor, and those who watch for the psychiatry and art-house storytelling. By putting the shooting right next to Tony's afterlife business trip, Chase is pushing his chips to the center of the table and telling the audience they had better go all in -- murder and therapy, flatulence jokes and metaphysics -- if they intend to stay at the table for this final season......

The voice of Purgatory Tony's wife wasn't played by Annabella Sciorra, or any other actress who's been on the show before; she's just a generic non-Carmela female voice.

well I'm all in... can't wait to see the next one.

And shut my mouth... :shutup: I would have bet dollars to donuts that was Sciorra...

I thought it was great set-up. What a better way to go this season than have all the capos fight it out for Tony's spot? Then Tony comes back sees the pieces. Brilliant.

i agree with you bud. Question is who in the main core will not be there at seasons end? who is going to try to unplug Tony? and whats gonna happen with Junior? by the way... TONY IS GETTIN PAID 1,000,000 and episode to be on his death bed! anyone else amazed at that?

i agree with you bud. Question is who in the main core will not be there at seasons end? who is going to try to unplug Tony? and whats gonna happen with Junior? by the way... TONY IS GETTIN PAID 1,000,000 and episode to be on his death bed! anyone else amazed at that?

Well, it's not as if the actor wasn't in the majority of the episode...someone had to act during the Purgatory scenes.

this show is closely paralleling LOST in the last few seasons with the flashbacks, dreams and back story.

i love it..

how freaky would it be to hear what the actors really sound like in real life without their mafia accents? I think Paulie Walnuts really sounds like his character.

"whoaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!"

I thought it was great set-up. What a better way to go this season than have all the capos fight it out for Tony's spot? Then Tony comes back sees the pieces. Brilliant.

I agree. I think the capos will fight it out with no clear victor and then AJ will throw his hat in the ring. Now that he's failed out of school he's got no real other path to follow. I was wondering how long it would take until he decided to follow in his father's steps.

Notice how the criticism of last night's episode faded away after the post of what the episode was actually about?

Personally, I said the same thing as the reviewer- there's edie falco, and then there's everyone else that will be nominated for an emmy this year- it's not even close. If I've ever seen better acting (in anything) in my lifetime, I'm not aware of it.

I saw last night's episode and thought to myself, "Good God, if they were taking such a long time to come back because they were making the episodes this good, then it was time well spent."

I personally get really irritated when people bash the Soprano's when there isn't a lot of action in every single episode. I can't believe that people can't see how well this show is written and how many good actors are on this show.

One of my friends that used to watch the show with me would say, "That was the worst episode ever!", after almost every episode during Season 4. I can't think of an episode of the Sopranos that I didn't enjoy. If people want to see constant action during every second, they need to go rent "The Fast and the Furious" or "XXX" or some other horrible action flick. :2cents:

Archived