Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Brunell gets Hurt...Skins Still Good?

cronos190

I'm a huge Redskins fan and I'm very excited about the possibilities of this upcoming season, however, I see one pitfall in all the excitment that I think people may be overlooking.

Brunell had a great season last year. However, we saw last year that the Skins are one hit away from a new starting QB. Brunell didn't look the same after that hit late in the season on his knees.

That's my biggest worry with this upcoming season. We've upgraded the talent at the WR level, however, if Brunell gets injured early in the season, who will step in and take over and be as effective?

There are a lot of teams out there with 3 good WR options and defenses are able to defend against them. Look at how Redskins did against Seahawks at the start of last year. They were able to limit the damage Hasselback could do even with 3 good WR the Seahawks have. Take a look at the Colts and how the Chargers were able to put the pressure on Manning to prevent him from throwing the ball to his 3 good WR's.

Do people think we have a #2 QB that can step in next season to lead this team if Brunell gets injured? I heard somewhere that Gibbs doesn't give the #2 QB many reps in practice.

We might be better if he gets hurt. It probably depends on what point in the season he were to get injured (hypothetically). In case you guys havent noticed how as the season plays on Brunell's arm gets TIRED and WEAK. By the time we got to Tampa Bay his arm was shot. I think we would have had a better chance of winning with Jason Campbell in the playoffs than Mark Brunell. It doesn't do any good to have these speedy WR's now if our QB can't throw the ball 20 yrds downfield.

Watch the replay of the Seattle game, even the TD to Moss was way underthrown.

I think Campbell starts this season.

i will put myself out on that limb and say say Campbell is going to be our starter for next season..so yes...we will be fine......I vision brunell our backup who is very familar with our system...and collins added for depth (3rd string) that is if we sign him...not to mention we have Randle El as our 4th...we are looking good :helmet:

I think we need Mark all the way if we're gonna go far this coming season. Tougher for QBs to go 16+ games nowadays so Jason will get his chances but if we don't have Brunell in the playoffs, I don't see NFC Championship as probable.

I assume that Campbell will be the number two.

They obviously won't be as good. However, in the long run, it would be good for Campbell. Two years from now the Skins will be expecting him to start. Needs to get the hang of this NFL thing :)

I don't remember how Campbell did in the Preseason games last year. Anyone remember how he did? Just trying to get a scouting report of some kind of him in the Pros.

There were times when he did some things that made you say, "Wow, this kid is going to be good". He mixed in a TD, an intentional grounding play and two interceptions against the Ravens. He didn't play in game #2 against the Benals and barely got in against the Steelers so we didn't get to see what the kid can do. For the preseason he finished 17/37, 244, 1 TD, 3 INT. Not exactly lighting it up.

So he played like a talented rookie, with some flashes of excellence and plenty of mistakes. He definitely had a hard time reading defenses and making quick decisions, which of course is what you'd expect. Question is, will one season of watching vets like Brunell and Ramsey + learning the playbok + getting reps in practice make him ready for this season?

I don't know - kinda doubt it. Love to be wrong. I'd be VERY surprised to see him play, barring an injury to Brunell. Of course, if Brunell goes 3 consecutive games without breaking 100 yards like he did in 2004...well then, we'll see.

Archived