Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clayton on Mike & Mike: Redskins going after Archuleta...

wilbur58z

I'm with the majority on this one while I think Archuleta is a good move it wouldn't be on my first day list.

:doh: Respectfully - this is why you're not a GM. I'm sure Archuleta is not the only player the Skins are pursuing. There's a much larger strategy that includes enhancing positions through the draft, free agency and via trade. Perhaps the best option to bolster depth at safety is to add Archuleta via free agency. Doesn't mean the Skins will stand pat on other needs.

I'm glad you posted this, I thought this is what I heard but I was partially sleep so I wasn't for sure. Taylor will definitely stay at FS even if Archuleta comes aboard, he is a natural at FS. GW will be jumping up and down on his bed like a little kid if he can have Archuleta at SS. Wow this would be lethal.

Doesn't do a DAMM bit of good without a better pass rush from the DEs. They can pass on Archuleta and use that money for a DE.

FS

Doesn't do a DAMM bit of good without a better pass rush from the DEs. They can pass on Archuleta and use that money for a DE.

FS

Wow! Now that's inciteful and you know Archy is going to come with a price. I would keep Ryan and take your advice. Good point. Do you think they'll let you in the submarine?

Art is right... the signing of Archuleta isn't an indication Clark isn't going to be resigned. In fact, Williams may be thinking the pairing of Archuleta w/ Taylor AND CLARK would make a lethal back five. Remember, Williams had both Stoutmire and Prieleau playing a bit of nicke corner or zone in several defensive calls..... I'd MUCH rather have Clark playing that role and hitting people like he's known to do. Turnovers is what we need to work on... Turnovers.

I mentioned this a few days ago - Williams loves the versatility of safetys, so they could all 3 see a lot of time together on the field.

Golic asked Clayton what players will be called by what teams on Friday night at 12:01 AM and Clayton said Archuleta will get a call from the Redskins and Bentley will get a call from the Eagles.

So it sounds like we are indeed seriously going after Archuleta.

But Archuleta and Taylor starting side by side? That's pretty lethal if you ask me.

the only negative is how that will appear to clark.. unless they feel he is unsignable ??

I think your logic is fine here as signing Archuleta would logically mean we'd take him ahead of Clark, but, I think you are incorrect in this case. Williams LOVES safeties. He can't use enough of them. Keeping Clark and signing Archuleta protects against a Taylor conviction, though unlikely. It gives flexibility. Clark is a converted corner you can use in a starting role or in nickel coverage. Archuleta has the size and speed to be used in a backer role with Clark in typical safety. I wouldn't necessarily think one or the other here. I might think both :).

Yup yup. Signing AA would definitely not preclude us from resigning Clark.

I think GW prefers Clark as a 3rd safety who will come in on obvious passing downs in our nickel package. He has some limitations in the run game, unlike Archuleta who is a fabulous run defender. Clark also isn't much of threat to blitz while AA is a fabulous blitzer.

Archuleta always reminded me of a smaller version of Roy Williams. Here's a scouting report:

S Adam Archuleta

(5-11 7/8, 210, 4.6e) Arizona State

Notes: Played defensive back and running back in high school. Redshirted in 1996 after walking on. Lettered in ’97. Aside from the ’99 opener, when he had a hamstring injury, he has started every game at linebacker over the last three years. All-Pacific-10 in ’99 and 2000. Pro Football Weekly and Gannett All-American in 2000. Had 75 stops, 18 for loss and five sacks in ’98; 111 stops, 21 for loss, five sacks, three passes broken up and an interception in ’99; and 119 stops, 14 for loss, three sacks, four passes broken up and an interception in 2000. Bench-pressed 225 pounds 31 times at the Combine.

Positives: Terrific football player with a great motor. All-time competitor. Flies around and makes plays all over the field. Tenacious, active and very determined. Very instinctive and aware. Reads and anticipates extremely well. Seems to be going in the right direction as the ball is snapped. Showed he could play safety at the Senior Bowl. Should be a top special-teams player while he learns the finer points of playing safety. Very strong for his size.

Negatives: Does not have the size or growth potential to ever be an every-down linebacker in the NFL. Will be moved to safety and does not have much experience there. Does not have the speed or athleticism Darren Woodson (ASU linebacker who the Cowboys picked as a strong safety in ’92) had when he came out of college. May have to play close to the line of scrimmage to be effective as a strong safety.

Summary: Two former undersized ASU linebackers, Woodson and the Cardinals’ Pat Tillman, are starting safeties in the NFL, and Archuleta may have been the best college football player of the trio. He does not have Woodson’s size or ability, but he is a better athlete and faster than Tillman.

I got an odd thought. What if they decided to try Taylor at Linebacker, and bring in Archuletta? And have Clark, Prileau, and draft another safety?

Taylor is big enough, and fast enough to do this. Plus, could you imagine him rushing the QB all the time?

I got an odd thought. What if they decided to try Taylor at Linebacker, and bring in Archuletta? And have Clark, Prileau, and draft another safety?

Taylor is big enough, and fast enough to do this. Plus, could you imagine him rushing the QB all the time?

Good point but Taylors' not palying LB, because he doesn't want to, but when he was at Gulliver Prep he always wanted to play RB....I know LB is the question. But Taylor likes the S position because he can range better...how do I know well I'm a real Redskin fan...but he's more attracted to those skill positions but good note.

Some are missing a bit of logic behind this move (if it occurs). Archuleta is a decent pickup if the price is right on his own, but Taylor's legal troubles play a lot into the situation as well. If Taylor doesn't win his case, or has complications, he could potentially miss at least this season (or part w/ a plea bargain) and beyond. If the Skins find out, I'd rather not go into the season with Ryan Clark and Omar Stoutmire (or whoever else) starting in the secondary. If Taylor does win the case, then Archuleta would fit in pretty well next to him, and allow Clark to play some nickel and dime packages, along with special teams.

However, if the Front Office makes this move, I wonder what this says about the trial and how the Skins feel it will go?

GW employs so many packages it certainly is not out of the question that we would (and I think it's pretty likely) resign Clark in addition to the AA pick up. I would even imagine they could all be on the field at the same time.

I really think the skins are scared of Taylor going to the big house. I think this would be an insurance move.

True, but maybe it goes further and the FO knows more about what will happen to Taylor than we do. Going after Archuleta might be a subtle sign of a rough road for Sean Taylor. Justice needs to be done, but I hope Taylor is shown mercy.

I think your logic is fine here as signing Archuleta would logically mean we'd take him ahead of Clark, but, I think you are incorrect in this case. Williams LOVES safeties. He can't use enough of them. Keeping Clark and signing Archuleta protects against a Taylor conviction, though unlikely. It gives flexibility. Clark is a converted corner you can use in a starting role or in nickel coverage. Archuleta has the size and speed to be used in a backer role with Clark in typical safety. I wouldn't necessarily think one or the other here. I might think both :).

There's also protection if a deal Clark can't be reached. It seem Archuleta would be a good insurance policy plus would be an awesome addition if everything broke right. In that case and with the LB situation, I could see a lot of 40 and 50 nickles using 3 safeties (going 50 nickle with a lot of pressing is basically a 46 defense).

Archived