Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clayton on Mike & Mike: Redskins going after Archuleta...

wilbur58z

The improvement over Clark won't be worth the money it will take to get AA. That money would be better spent on upgrading serious deficiencies to our team (DE, WR, TE.)

That being said, I don't think signing AA would prevent us from resigning Clark. AA could be very good in this system, but I would address SS first with the other needs we have and the limited CAP dollars available.

I believe AA is being pursued as a in the box defender sort of like an upgrade to Matt Bowen, or a poor mans John Lynch. As we all know from watching in St. Louis pass defense is definately not AA' strength, run stopping is and Ryans strength is more in pass defense even though he can lay the wood from time to time.

Think back to game one of the 2004 season and how Matt Bowen dominated that game against the bucs with well time blitzes and causing fumbles. This is how GW wants AA to be, dont believe me look around to his past teams in Buffalo he had a Lawyer Milloy, Pierson P, among others. In Tennesee he had Lance, Tank, Blaine Bishop, among others.

i believe both Clark and AA will be in the loop WITH ST 06, just playing vastly different roles like chess pieces.

Do you guys really think that Williams will want AA over a player like Milloy?....Where he definitely knows what he's getting? Personally, I'm not even addressing Safety as a need at the moment because I just want us to bring someone in that will consistently pressure the QB and get over 10 sacks a year.

, I could see a lot of 40 and 50 nickles using 3 safeties (going 50 nickle with a lot of pressing is basically a 46 defense).

Williams has no starters and sometimes not even "full time positions". If we sign AA then it just gives him more options.

I think we keep clark and pass on Archuleta. While yes that would be a great combo back there, I think part of Gibbs and Williams roles is to keep the core guys on the team together. Clark is one of those, and gets along great with the rest of the team. He did a fine job for us last year, is young, and I think it just doesnt make enough sense to go get someone to start ahead of him. I can see grabbing one incase Taylor does get convicted, but its gonna be a bit of a waste IMHO.

I believe AA is being pursued as a in the box defender sort of like an upgrade to Matt Bowen, or a poor mans John Lynch. As we all know from watching in St. Louis pass defense is definately not AA' strength, run stopping is and Ryans strength is more in pass defense even though he can lay the wood from time to time.

Think back to game one of the 2004 season and how Matt Bowen dominated that game against the bucs with well time blitzes and causing fumbles. This is how GW wants AA to be, dont believe me look around to his past teams in Buffalo he had a Lawyer Milloy, Pierson P, among others. In Tennesee he had Lance, Tank, Blaine Bishop, among others.

i believe both Clark and AA will be in the loop WITH ST 06, just playing vastly different roles like chess pieces.

I think you've got it.... assuming AA wants to sign with us.

I got an odd thought. What if they decided to try Taylor at Linebacker, and bring in Archuletta? And have Clark, Prileau, and draft another safety?

Taylor is big enough, and fast enough to do this. Plus, could you imagine him rushing the QB all the time?

we can't afford to
not
have Taylor in coverage

I prefer to bring Clark back and pass on Archuleta. Rather spend the money elsewhere.

Unless they have plans on carrying both, I would also rather keep Clark and spend elsewhere. Clark is accustomed to the defensive schemes and seems to have welcomed the role as a leader on this team. Arch is a baller though.

Geez, I don't think we have to worry about them spending too much in one place. All we can do is watch and see what happens. They've identified what they feel are the deficiencies in the team, and I'm sure they have a top 5 scenarios of what they will do to fill them all.

That being said...I think it would be awesome to see a rotation of AA and Clark rotating in the backfield with Taylor....that should get the Skins onto Jacked Up once or twice....and I'd bet we'd see some serious alligator arms next year.

There is still the possiblity that Taylor is convicted. Then, Archuleta would be a replacement, and Clark would still be here is well.

If he isn't convicted, then Williams has more of that safety depth that he craves upgrading over Bowen with Archuleta.

It's a good move because it meets 2 goals: covers the possibility of Taylor's conviction and adds great Safety depth.

Clark may not be signed and in any event in my opinion was somewhat inconsistent last year especially in coverage. Achuleta is a good pick-up ... if he is healthy he is definitely an upgrade from Clark ... money is no object here ... Snyder will find the cash to buy the other free agency pieces Gibbs/Williams/Saunders needs.

Archived