Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walt Harris to be released...

wilbur58z

Jimoh can definitely step up and play nickel. (See Arizona v. Washington - 2005)

More than glad to hear that we're kicking Raymer and Noble to the curb. Raymer is not as versatile as once thought- he cannot play Guard (see Seattle v. Washington - playoffs) and Noble spent most of his time here on IR.

DT? Hell no. Griffin and Salave'a are STUDS.

DE? Yeah even though I hope we keep Wynn for depth, and Wynn could prob try going inside too at DT if needed b/c of injuries.

This is more like our true list of priorities, in order:

1. LB - With Lavar gone thats a huge hole, even if you move Marshall back outside.

2. DB - Needed for depth mainly. Should sign or draft a nickelback and a safety.

3. WR - Santana needs a target opposite of him *COUGH COUGH MO STOVALL*

4. DE - Pass rusher needed, see draft - kid from Indiana

5. TE - Jeb Putzier anyone?

Were Griffin and Salave'a studs when they were on the sidelines??

We need depth and and just some BS, we need a live wire in the middle.

1.Move Marshall back and have who fill the middle??? Marshall wasnt that hot on the weakside. He maybe better now but we will have to wait and see.

2.Concur

3.Concur

4.Concur

5.I like Vernon Davis, but he will be gone in the first hour. I have no idea and that even after watching the boring Combine last week and yesterday.

It's ok. Really. Those there, in the thick of things, do understand what's going on there.

This is so tiresome. This is a logical argument known as an 'argument from authority'. When you have no evidence on your side, resort to one of these. It's the logical equivalent of saying, "Just trust me."

The Redskins front office has made some truly boneheaded moves over the years, so posters are right to regard their moves with some suspicion. You could respond that, like Grimm, you trust that with Joe's oversight they won't bungle it this year. You could respond that Vinny and Danny have learned their lessons.

But you don't. You just want everyone to smile and think it'll all work out. Well, you don't understand the nature of the fan base, my friend. We worry.

What is going on on this board as of the past 24 hours? First everyone was collectively breathing sighs of relief at how the Redskins have managed to get under any cap with restructuring, and people were practically getting ready to book plans to go to Super Bowl XLI. Now Lavar gets released, which should have surprised a grand total of nobody, and people are even now finding negativity in the fact that we cut Walt Harris! Walt Harris?! Let alone that none of these moves are shocking at all, they're not even major players on the team- we're not losing Taylor/Washington/Portis/Griffin/Marshall/Springs etc., we're talking about old cornerbacks who can only play as nickelbacks anymore, potentially overrated LBs who have made questionable decisions towards the new coaching staff, and other backseat guys to this current team. It's like some bug is spreading where people are all of a sudden buying into Peter King's hype that the sky is finally falling in on the Redskins. So TK didn't go into a long winded explanation of how the ultimate coaching staff of Gibbs, Saunders, and Williams have already made up plans A, B, C, D, E, F, and G for this situation- who cares, you should know by now that the Redskins are ready to handle all of this, and if you don't, then you'll realize soon enough. But people need to relax, I don't think losing Cory Raymer will spell doom for the team, and I do think within a couple of months a lot of people on this board will be back to preaching "Hail to the Redskins, Hail to Gibbs!" once they see the moves they have in store.

i agree with you about the dline. we have a lot of interchangable parts. wynn and daniels can both play some DT if needed, as can Evans. i like evans as a DE and want to see him get some more playing time this year. as far as DT goes, we are set with griff and salavea. and for backups, we have ced killings and my man AKI JONES.

The line wasnt that hot when we had to move people around because of injuries. Teams were picking our Defense apart last year and we had no pass rush what so ever.

We did get hot at the end of the year. Phillip Danials went on a tear, but were was he at in Seattle? Our DEs are getting long in the tooth and we need a change.

What is going on on this board as of the past 24 hours? First everyone was collectively breathing sighs of relief at how the Redskins have managed to get under any cap with restructuring, and people were practically getting ready to book plans to go to Super Bowl XLI. Now Lavar gets released, which should have surprised a grand total of nobody, and people are even now finding negativity in the fact that we cut Walt Harris! Walt Harris?! Let alone that none of these moves are shocking at all, they're not even major players on the team- we're not losing Taylor/Washington/Portis/Griffin/Marshall/Springs etc., we're talking about old cornerbacks who can only play as nickelbacks anymore, potentially overrated LBs who have made questionable decisions towards the new coaching staff, and other backseat guys to this current team. It's like some bug is spreading where people are all of a sudden buying into Peter King's hype that the sky is finally falling in on the Redskins. So TK didn't go into a long winded explanation of how the ultimate coaching staff of Gibbs, Saunders, and Williams have already made up plans A, B, C, D, E, F, and G for this situation- who cares, you should know by now that the Redskins are ready to handle all of this, and if you don't, then you'll realize soon enough. But people need to relax, I don't think losing Cory Raymer will spell doom for the team, and I do think within a couple of months a lot of people on this board will be back to preaching "Hail to the Redskins, Hail to Gibbs!" once they see the moves they have in store.

:laugh: Wow I just wanted to cheer about something.....I guess I gotta take my "YES!" back.....:( ....

We have needs and they must be addressed.

We need a WR, DE, DT, LB, CB, TE and maybe a FS.

Playsoffs?!!! Playoffs?!?!!

DT - We are so set here it isn't even funny.

FS - Gotta wait until April.

DE - If need be... Daniels and Wynn can hold things up for one more season.

CB - Ade can hold up the nickel position while we develop a new guy via the draft.

TE/WR - Pick one. Draft a TE or get a FA WR. We just need a big guy with sure hands to take pressure off Santana.

LB - This is the big question. I'd love to see McCune start but doubt he's ready. My guess is we go for one in FA.

Going by the above... that only leaves us with three or four positions we REALLY have to focus on, which is quite manageable through the draft or free agency.

Notice the trend?

Cut defensive guys to get cap room. Let Gregg find talent and release them to attack.

Gibbs brings in a couple guys to mesh with his(noe Saunders) offense, and we get better from the year before.

Wow, some of you guys are really stressing. Everyone should have seen these moves coming. Most of them have probably already been discussed somewhere on this site. Walt Harris, although a good nickel corner, is not irreplaceable. Ade Jimoh, I dare say, can replace him in the nickel and is one heck of a special teams player. Jimoh really improved his corner play last year in the nickel. Raymer was done as soon as Rabach came in. Noble has never been healthy so he has never been a factor in the regular season anyway. So let's just quit stressing and relax and enjoy the show.

Not a surprise at all, though I noticed bowen isnt on the list. I dont understand why people WANT bowen cut. He didnt play much at ALL last year, so you cant say he played badly, in fact he played well when he did play. Its just he costs more than he is worth. Yet some people in here hate him... for not much reason.

I couldn't imagine why anyone would hate Bowen either, he's a serviceable back up and I wouldn't mind cutting him and maybe resigning him to a smaller deal if possible, but if we have to get rid of him to make ends meet under the cap then so be it. He did find himself out played several times in the first Tampa game that Taylor sat out though- but also pending Taylor's trial and the status of resigning Clark, it might not hurt to try to keep Bowen around a bit longer. If he is cut though, I probably won't have to worry about the "We'll Miss You #41" threads that discuss how he should sign with the entire NFC East just to prove us wrong about his untapped potential.

While I am glad to see players going that we no longer need, I am a little saddened to see people jumping all over their carcasses like vultures. "He's gone? Good he sucks! Screw him. Etc, etc. Who does this help other than your self satisfying some pathetic agenda? None of the players who will probably be cut have done anything to create a negative impact on this team (for example: LA's off-field problems). Sure, some of the players have gone down in their talent over the years, but they are leaving now. Say good bye and drop it. Is your life so empty you have to kick someone while they are down?

Because Jimoah and Petterson have more upside than Walt, and you cannot take it away from the guy he did what he was brought in for. I would like to see us getting some more depth at DB in general maybe not the draft but UFDs or an out of place veteran or two but the problem we had last year was lack of roster places with the on and off injuries to Springs, Rogers and Harris last year it made the CB possition very difficult to judge .

Nobel is another difficult one he blew his knee out in the first year here after showing real promise in TC. Then he has a recourance this year and the infection . I cannot see how people can be down on this guy other than he was an ex cboy. The loss of Nobel really hurt our depth and with Griffin and big Joe incuring injuries that was the top three guys gone from the rotation .

It surprises me Harris might be released. As a vet in the nickel role, he can be valuable to us, but, he can't make as much as he is to play that role. I wouldn't be surprised if he does return to us after testing free agency. We'll see.

It surprises me Harris might be released. As a vet in the nickel role, he can be valuable to us, but, he can't make as much as he is to play that role. I wouldn't be surprised if he does return to us after testing free agency. We'll see.

I was thinking the same thing. There's probably a reason Gibbs decided to have a face-to-face with the players he released. I'm sure he communicated this possibility to Walt.

I'm surprised so many people really believe Jimoh can play the nickel well. People think their seeing improvement simply because they can't recall him getting burned for 40+ yard touchdowns anymore. He was relied on to come in for injuries much less last season, and why throw to your wide open #3 WR with Jimoh covering, when you had your #2 reciever torching Walt Harris down the sideline?

We should draft or sign a solid nickel corner. Neither Harris or Jimoh fit the bill.

Archived