Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vince Young Scores A Six On The Wonderlic Test

Hooper

You have to be dumb as the dumbest brick in the world to get a six on the Wonderlic. 8 year olds could get a 6 on the Wonderlic.

At least he can play football.

Wonderlic question # 16: If a dumb "brick" can run a 4.3 40 and can throw a football through a brick wall from fifty, paces he'll be a millionair at 20 years old. How wealthy is an 8 year old who scores 6 on a Wonderlic test?

2/27/2006 8:15:00 AM et

Vince Young scored a 16 on the Wonderlic after re-taking it Sunday.

That's still a low score for a quarterback, but not as mind-numbing as the 6 that was originally reported. A mistake was reportedly made correcting his original test. The lowest score any NFL starting quarterback who started in 2005 was J.P. Losman's 14. This shouldn't be a huge factor in Young's draft status.

Source: Houston Chronicle

and for those who say that the Wonderlic doesnt mean anything, if it didnt mean anything, they wouldnt do the test.

Vincy Young has NFL bust written all over him. Michael Vick syndrome. No one will be able to coach up this guy. Watch him drop into the middle of the 1st round now.

pretty bad?why is it when a QB like young gets a low score,you all make a big deal about it?is it b/c he happens to be a black QB?i hope not alot of those"test" can be scewred to benefit certain ppl.

Uh, no. It's not a race thing. It's a "Wow, 6 is incredibly stupid" thing.

Anyone know the details of the test?

- How many questions

- How much time do you have? (assuming it's timed)

- Can you use paper to work things out?

- Calculator?

I found sample wonderlic questions on-line and I'm trying to figure out how you get a 6 out of 50 after having made it through high school and spent several years in college.

I heard Leigh Steinberg on ESPN radio this weekend and he said that his clients always take practice Wonderlics tests before the combine to prepare.

He also said that anyone who scores 10 or below has "the brainpower of a rock" :silly:

all i know is ppl are bashing vick,culpepper,and some may bash leftwich,too many ppl on here say that they cant read a defense,now ppl are bashing vince young b4 he even gets on the field,what is the common denominator here? they all are black,oh ppl bash mcnabb as well as aarron brooks.who cares if he scores a 6? as long as he gets his team to next level.................................SCREW THE WONDER TEST.:2cents:

yeah if it says something bad about a quarterback that is black than it must be a dumb test. . . dude you need help. people say culpepper has trouble reading defenses because he DOES. same with Vick. I haven't heard people bashing leftwich for not being able to read defense so that sounds like you just looking for ammunition. A six is a damn low score and maybe you don't give a crap about your quarterback's congnative ability, but a lot of teams running complicated read and react offenses do.

ummm, well Armchair Redskin I will tell you that EVERY team that is in serious position to Draft VY will be VERY concerned by a score of only 6. If you really think VY did not take it serious or would have a "whatever" mentality about the wonderlic test you are mistaken, if you are right, then VY's agent should be fired for not telling him to take it VERY seriously, especially for the QB position. Honestly, us here in Austin know that VY is not the brightest bulb (ie having to simplify the playbook, not able to properly read a defense until his 3rd year, having to use his athletic ability by running when he was caught not properly reading his hot routes, etc...) but his athletic ability is undeniable. It would not surprise alot of people if he eventually had to play reciever.

I looked at the sample test on ESPN, and while it's not exactly multiple choice, 8 out of the 15 questions do have a limited number of choices to pick, usually 3-5 different choices. Extrapolating that to a 50 question test, we would have around 26-27 answers which were multiple choice to anyone that could grasp the basic gist of the question. Assuming (very much in Vince's favor), that each multiple choice question had 5 possibilities, and that there were only 25 multiple choice on the test, on average he could have guessed and gotten at least 5 of those 25 right, only needing to get one more out of the remaining 25 to reach 6. With a score that low, it becomes a question whether or not Vince could differentiate between the multiple choice and the non-multiple choice questions on the test.

The bottom line is that if he really only got a 6 on this test, he is probably not literate or has some sort of severe learning disability.

yeah if it says something bad about a quarterback that is black than it must be a dumb test. . . dude you need help. people say culpepper has trouble reading defenses because he DOES. same with Vick. I haven't heard people bashing leftwich for not being able to read defense so that sounds like you just looking for ammunition. A six is a damn low score and maybe you don't give a crap about your quarterback's congnative ability, but a lot of teams running complicated read and react offenses do.
you dont know if they can read a D or not,do you coach them? do you play with them?if u dont do any of the above,dont bash them.

all i know is ppl are bashing vick,culpepper,and some may bash leftwich,too many ppl on here say that they cant read a defense,now ppl are bashing vince young b4 he even gets on the field,what is the common denominator here? they all are black,oh ppl bash mcnabb as well as aarron brooks.who cares if he scores a 6? as long as he gets his team to next level.................................SCREW THE WONDER TEST.:2cents:

you are a ****ing moron.

Meanwhile, Alex Smith scored a 40 on the Wonderlic, and he had the worst rookie season I've seen out of ANY quarterback in recent memory. Super draft bust Akili Smith had a 37. The Wonderlic does not show whether you'll become a good quarterback or not.

Akili Smith didnt have the physical talent to match the wonderlic score.

Alex Smith doesnt have the physical talent around him to succeed.

What the wonderlic does is gives a measure of intelegence and your ability to grasp logical and abstract concepts.

The average QB out of the combine scores a 25. The average player scores 20.

Vince Young, if he did score anywhere between a 6 and a 16, is going to have a very difficult tiem wrapping his brain around an NFL playbook. Realize that this is a guy that took the majority of plays out of the shotgun in college. Not much coaching there and the plays arent too complicated.

The Wonderlic test is certainly a joke. However, I dont think it really can tell whether a person can read a D or not. They should try out his decision making ON THE FIELD.

If it were a joke, no one would use it. Just because YOU dont agree with it doesnt invalidate it.

C'mon now, think and dont knee jerk. It isnt like they are asking them to do calculus. Its a basic IQ test, nothing more.

Akili Smith didnt have the physical talent to match the wonderlic score.

Alex Smith doesnt have the physical talent around him to succeed.

What the wonderlic does is gives a measure of intelegence and your ability to grasp logical and abstract concepts.

The average QB out of the combine scores a 25. The average player scores 20.

Vince Young, if he did score anywhere between a 6 and a 16, is going to have a very difficult tiem wrapping his brain around an NFL playbook. Realize that this is a guy that took the majority of plays out of the shotgun in college. Not much coaching there and the plays arent too complicated.

I don't agree, for the simple reason that Dan Marino scored a 14 on this test and he's a HOFer. So are you saying Marino had a difficult time wrapping his brain around a NFL playbook, when as a rookie, he was one of the very few QBs to be productive?

I don't agree, for the simple reason that Dan Marino scored a 14 on this test and he's a HOFer. So are you saying Marino had a difficult time wrapping his brain around a NFL playbook, when as a rookie, he was one of the very few QBs to be productive?

If youre looking at this as a black or white test youre wrong.

Just like everything at the combine this is just another measurable that teams look at when evaluating how they ASSUME a player will react/do on the gridiron.

Saying however that a QB that scored a 14 and will be a HoF is like saying im going to smoke and never get cancer. Its possible but not probable.

If youre looking at this as a black or white test youre wrong.

Just like everything at the combine this is just another measurable that teams look at when evaluating how they ASSUME a player will react/do on the gridiron.

Saying however that a QB that scored a 14 and will be a HoF is like saying im going to smoke and never get cancer. Its possible but not probable.

who cares about what vince's score was? had he scored 100,you ppl would still be saying"he cant read a defense" or "he got lucky"i never said the test was racist,i said that everytime a black QB comes to the nfl,ppl say they cant read a defense,if randall cunningham couldnt "read" a defense,why will he be headed to the HOF?and besides,if all my WR's were covered i'd takeoff and run too,that is called"reading coverage"all this "cant read a D" stuff is just a way of saying they shouldnt be playing QB,only the "tuck" brady's should be.

I guess Vince decided to play football when he and all the other kids on the short bus had to wear helmets every day to school. Seriously though, this test shouldn't be the only reason to draft or not draft him but you do want the smartest guy on the field to be your QB, don’t you? Granted there are exceptions but the list of QB's that scored below 20 is riddled with bust and under achievers. His risk level has certainly increased.

Archived