Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

an email exchange I just had...over the course of a week.

Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:01:55 AM (GMT-0500) Auto-Detected

Subject: Cat Surrender?

Good Morning,

I have a cat that I would like to surrender. She is 10 years old and spayed.

We have a new child and the child is allergic to the cat.

She is a good cat. She likes attention. At this point however, we cannot keep her.

I would prefer she go somewhere that will not put her down.

Can you please let me know my options?

"HER" response:

I try not to take owner surrendered cats as I think you could arrange something if you cared enough. Any place except a rescue will put her to sleep before you are out the door, so keep the cat. Get one of the many products on the shelves now for cat allergies. Petsmart has some. I always suspect that the owner simply does not want the cat anymore and is blaming the allergies. I hope that in your old age, you are not kicked out the door because your family suddenly has other priorities! The cat is no different. JB

My Response:

You know, to be perfectly honest, you could have simply said "No, we do not take surrendered cats" and simply provided some options. Instead, you felt that this would be a perfect opportunity to lecture someone who is attempting to find a new home for a cat instead of putting the cat to sleep. I HAVE tried a number of allergen reducers on this cat and it has not worked. I HAVE asked all my friends and family if they will take this cat and nobody will. I'm glad you always suspect the worst out of pet owners. That's got to be a great way to get through your day. For what it's worth, the cat IS different than a person. This particular cat will lose 10 times out of 10 when it comes to choosing between her and my baby.

Thank you for your reply. Good luck to you and your rescue. I will be taking this cat to the Human Society.

Her Response:

There are 2 kinds of people in this world: your kind and my kind. May an animal never be so luckless as to get you for an owner again. JB

dictator..working in the pet serivces i get PLENTY of those holier then thou people. i love to get in to it with them and just clown them right in front of their entire department.

dont tell me what to do with my dog. you need to figure out that your dog eating out of the same bowl as you is nasty, unsanitary and a sore to everyone who has to witness it. we dont want to hear your lame stories about how your dog pooped so cute and you just wanna tell the world.

dictator..working in the pet serivces i get PLENTY of those holier then thou people. i love to get in to it with them and just clown them right in front of their entire department.

dont tell me what to do with my dog. you need to figure out that your dog eating out of the same bowl as you is nasty, unsanitary and a sore to everyone who has to witness it. we dont want to hear your lame stories about how your dog pooped so cute and you just wanna tell the world.

Oh, I'm emailing that crazy cat lady back no doubt. It's going to be epic. I mean, I'm TRYING to find a humane way to deal with this situation. She she responds like an *******. I might even include this:

simpsons_CrazyCatLady.gif

:rotflmao: at the crazy cat lady.

You should tell her that the humane society was full and wouldnt take the cat...so you took the next best option - put the cat in a bag and filled it with rocks....then threw it off the Bay Bridge.

I'll add it to the list of ideas. Another is telling her about how I took the cat to the humane society and go into graphic detail about the cat being put to sleep.

I still have the cat FWIW. It's in a large cage in my finished basement.

I was exactly in your place 18 years ago. Second daughter came along, born Jan 18th, and nose was running constantly due to the cat (named Snowball). Constant flow of yellow snot out the nose and across the upper lip. Not good for an infant.

We decided the best thing is to put the cat outside in our stable. I ran an electric blanket out there. The cat had decent shelter from rain and wind and had warmth provided from the electric blanket. Naturally, we fed it every day and everything - it was still our cat. We just didn't let it in the house anymore.

So a month goes by. One day Snowball was laying outside and it wasn't moving. He was obviously sick. We took him to the vet. They kept him overnight.

Meanwhile, I realize the electric blanket had shorted out. I don't know when or for how long. ****.

Next day, we get a call from the Vet. Snowball died. Basically froze to death.

Not a pleasant way to go. We still feel horrible about it.

Point is - ironically, it would have been more humane to put the cat down. Although I don't think I could do that. I know I couldn't.

Not sure if this story helps you or not...

Dictator what org were you trying to give the cat to?

It's a cat rescue I contacted by means of petfinder.com. It's basically a stones throw from my house. I won't give out the name because then it'd be easy to get this insane lady's email address.

I'm still searching for a home for this cat. I'm well aware that if the humane society took her, she'd be put down. She's still in good health and I don't want that for her. I'm really trying to do what I can to find this cat another home, but some things are more important. Unfortunatly, this cat isn't "mine" my wife had this cat before she met me. In the end it's her choice. She said I can do what I want, just don't tell her. If I take it to be put down, she wants me to tell her I took it to a rescue.

Mark, that's a touching story. That had to wear on your mind for a while. Sorry.

It's a cat rescue I contacted by means of petfinder.com. It's basically a stones throw from my house. I won't give out the name because then it'd be easy to get this insane lady's email address.

I'm still searching for a home for this cat. I'm well aware that if the humane society took her, she'd be put down. She's still in good health and I don't want that for her. I'm really trying to do what I can to find this cat another home, but some things are more important. Unfortunatly, this cat isn't "mine" my wife had this cat before she met me. In the end it's her choice. She said I can do what I want, just don't tell her. If I take it to be put down, she wants me to tell her I took it to a rescue.

Mark, that's a touching story. That had to wear on your mond for a while. Sorry.

Have you tried asking Huly for some help? Maybe she knows cat people too?

Have you tried asking Huly for some help? Maybe she knows cat people too?

I haven't. I'm still sending emails to different rescues. awaiting a response.

And honestly, I'd prefer to not have to drive 90 minutes to VA. I typically try to avoid Va if at all possible. ;)

Archived