Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell over Drew Brees?...seriously?

RedskinsFanatic

Occasionally, I'll noitce one or two posters say something along the lines of holding Brunell accountable for "not sitting himself down."

This ignores the possible (I would say likely) scenario of Gibbs, who you play for and respect, telling Mark in all sincerity and belief the same thing he tells the media: that you're still the team's best chance to win, if you can play at all. So you suck it up and do everything you can. Gibbs put Ramsey in when he absolutely had to against the Giants. And even after that, he obviously wanted Mark to stay in the game against Tampa & Seattle.

In fact, I don't begin to blame all the offense's play-off struggles solely on Mark, though he had his part. But while I would have kept him in against Tampa, I would've put Ramsey in against Seattle halfway into the third quarter.

But it occurred to me then that Gibbs thinks long term for this team. This is real "if" stuff, but if Gibbs was thinking that's Ramsey's future with the Redskins was very uncertain (logical) than maybe it would be better to win or lose with Mark for continuity, rather than pull him and go with Ramsey, even if it led to another win.

It is very difficult for me to propose any idea that doesn't put winning a play-off game in front of you above all else, but I considered it was possible that Joe was even more concerned about taking the significant (in most peoples eyes) progress of the offense into next year with the leadership continuity and belief in the coaching decisions intact.

And to also make a possible (pre-determined?) Ramsey departure as minimally turbulent as possible in the locker room and elsewhere, something it would not be if Ramsey stepped in and won a play-off game. Though I know such would increase his percieved value.

There would even have been an immediate controversy, perhaps in the locker room as well, if he had put Pat in and still lost, but also even if we beat Seattle, and then still want to start Mark against Carolina. This is totally (maybe wildly) speculative, but I'm curious if anyone else wondered the same thing.

Brunell vs Breese. Brunell is about as good as Breese. But the thing is Brunells knee can make him look crappier then Ramsey. I wish Brunell would go into some training program that made him last longer. The last 3 games of the yr he was awful. I think its time to go into a different direction.

Hate to be a douche, but...

B-R-E-E-S.

Chargers QB, not a misspelling of a light wind.

:logo:

Brunell vs Breese. Brunell is about as good as Breese. But the thing is Brunells knee can make him look crappier then Ramsey. I wish Brunell would go into some training program that made him last longer. The last 3 games of the yr he was awful. I think its time to go into a different direction.

The thing is Mark dedicated himself to an acupuncture program last off-season and look how much improved he was over the 2004 campaign.

Sure he didn't last the entire season, but let me smash your knee with a football helmet and see how you walk for the next couple weeks.

I'd be willing to bet that Mark is doing everything he is supposed to do at this point in his career. You might not like him, or how he runs the offense but I have two things to say about that:

1. He runs the plays Gibbs gives him, period. With Saunders new offense we're going to see a different Brunell on the field.

2. He's a professional at his position and a great teammate/locker room guy. You never hear him say anything bad about the team and he supports the coaches decision.

Another thing I'd like to add about Brunell is the fact that he's an amazing leader. Think of the one guy on your team who you'd want to get right back up after taking a big shot. Exactly. It's the Qb because that tougness duplicates itself in other players. You don't want some sissy back there saying:

"Coach I think the team will benefit from me not playing."

I mean come on get real. No starting QB says or does that in the real world. If you're given the job you're gonna do whatever it takes to take every snap because it's your JOB to do so until the coach says otherwise.

I love Drew Brees and Im sure he would be a signficant improvement over Brunell. I wont argue that. But you cant just switch them. We cant just go and cut Brunell and sign Brees. It doesnt work that way. The cap wouldnt allow it.

But no one should be saying that Brees isnt better than Brunell, because he is.

go do your math homework. I added a e? JESUS

Hey man, just trying to let you know before someone with an attitude comes in and corrects you. Cough CowboyinDC Cough.:laugh:

And after doing my math homework, I concluded that Brunell's preseason numbers were better than Ramsey's. Because unlike some of us Ramsey homers around here, Cough YOU Cough, I can apparently do simple arithmetic.

I'm so mean.

Let me make sure I'm understanding what you're thinking Matt. You think Peyton Manning is overrated? And if given a choice you would keep Brunell over Manning? If that is true and what you are saying then we definately need to wager on sporting events in the future because you are truly insane.

I'm glad you brought this up over on the West Coast because you clearly miss the beauty of my insanity. Perhaps I should clear it up for you. Manning has a certain amount of talent but has not, and may never realize his true potential. Where should I start...1997 Manning takes Tennessee to the Orange Bowl in a premere game with National Championship asperations on the line. Guess what Redskins Fanatic :rolleyes: they got COMPLETELY DESTROYED by Nebraska!! In fact the complete domination pushed Nebraska over the edge in the BCS Coaches poll to give them a Co-National Championship with Michigan (And yet I'm insane...HE LOOKED LIKE GARBAGE!!!)

I'm sure you can bring up the solid seasons he's had lately, but has he surpassed Brunell in playoff advancement? NO. Bottom line he can put up numbers and win some games, but can't win when it really counts. Maybe you want us to have someone just as soft as Brunell (granted Brunell's a true vet now at his age) but commanding even more money than Mark's hefty salary. I thought half the threads on this board right now were regarding salary cap problems, but I must be too insane to realize this. I know being out in the backwoods of Oregon must make you self-rightous for whatever reason. This was supposed to be Mannings year and he choked yet again. If you think the Colts will come back improved and take over the AFC then you have some serious issues. The Patriots, Steelers, possibly Chargers, will give them all they want next year.

If you want my money come and get it...I don't bet and I play for keeps!!! ;)

Okay..among many posts Brees has been mentioned, I make no apologies for wishing he were our quarterback...I know we have other needs etc, but if and I do mean IF he were a viable option how could you not take Brees? Who do we have that is honestly even in his league as far as talent...sure I want Jason C to be the next quarterback hero for the Skins' but have we seen him play? I mean..really play an NFL game? noooo.....we know what Brunell can do and what he can't do..enough about that..If Brees is healthy he would easily be the best QB on our roster..how anyone can say differently and mean it is beyond me. And perhaps that person should seek medical attention. Go Skins'!:point2sky

Well, I didn't see him do anything against us, and don't know what he's like in the NFC East....what did he do against those blitz heavy defences in the AFC...you got any source documents (facts and stats)? Don't know, is he a pocket guy and can he roll away. We were an interception away from the NFC Championship game and a strong possible SB appearance. How close/far was the Bolts?

Until you can show me a source document, I'm sticking with Coach Gibbs and right now I think the mind set is Brunel is our starter. I think Saunders has a good feel and knows what right looks like when it comes to QBs, too. I haven't done an analyses on defences and how schemes differ from Conference to Conference. But I do know that competent authority doesn't exactly feel like Super Bowl XL's Champions won convincingly.

Good post but I'll take my chances with Brunel, Ramsey and Campbell. And BTW no body knew how D.Williams was either--that is until Coach Gibbs brought him in. For starters I think J.Campbell is a little more mobile than Williams and Brees. what does that mean? Nothing just an observation.

Hey man, just trying to let you know before someone with an attitude comes in and corrects you. Cough CowboyinDC Cough.:laugh:

And after doing my math homework, I concluded that Brunell's preseason numbers were better than Ramsey's. Because unlike some of us Ramsey homers around here, Cough YOU Cough, I can apparently do simple arithmetic.

I'm so mean.

He played back ups . And i do not like Ramsey. I like Jason Campbell.

My grades by game:

St. Louis- C+ (Got the win but very average performance)

Arizona- D- (I'm only giving him a D- because we got the win;Awful performance in a must win game)

Dallas- A (Only pass that was difficult was Moss's depp catch. Other then that threw simple high % screen passes)

Giants- B (Played decently but made a critical mistake with a int returned for a touchdown that got the Giants momentum early)

Philly- D (Got the win but really did very little to help the team win)

He played very well

Grades:

I think the C+ against the Rms is awful generous. The O line and Portis came out in the 2nd half pounding if I recall.

Cards: Agree

Dallas: Agree BUT the pass to Moss was PERFECT. We were in the 5th row on the 10 yard line on that side and this thing, in the air, no way anyone gets to it...it kept going up and up and up and then just falls almost straight down and Moss just kept running to it and the DB was right with him. Moss barely gets there and the DB was STILL right with him. Perfect pass. Perfect catch.

Giants: Anh...OK, maybe C+, B-.

Philly: D- again.

Good review.

I herad somewhere I think it was on the other sports radio station not 980 but I think it is 1230 or something. Anyway, somebody said that the Cowpunks was looking at Brees, If they do get him do you all think that he will do good without LT and Gates. But with Jones or Barber or whoever the hake thier running back is and Witten bum @*$. I just think that Brees was lucky that he had top tier people on his team. He is good I like his skills, but can he survie without the talent he is used to.

Occasionally, I'll noitce one or two posters say something along the lines of holding Brunell accountable for "not sitting himself down."

This ignores the possible (I would say likely) scenario of Gibbs, who you play for and respect, telling Mark in all sincerity and belief the same thing he tells the media: that you're still the team's best chance to win, if you can play at all. So you suck it up and do everything you can. Gibbs put Ramsey in when he absolutely had to against the Giants. And even after that, he obviously wanted Mark to stay in the game against Tampa & Seattle.

In fact, I don't begin to blame all the offense's play-off struggles solely on Mark, though he had his part. But while I would have kept him in against Tampa, I would've put Ramsey in against Seattle halfway into the third quarter.

But it occurred to me then that Gibbs thinks long term for this team. This is real "if" stuff, but if Gibbs was thinking that's Ramsey's future with the Redskins was very uncertain (logical) than maybe it would be better to win or lose with Mark for continuity, rather than pull him and go with Ramsey, even if it led to another win.

It is very difficult for me to propose any idea that doesn't put winning a play-off game in front of you above all else, but I considered it was possible that Joe was even more concerned about taking the significant (in most peoples eyes) progress of the offense into next year with the leadership continuity and belief in the coaching decisions intact.

And to also make a possible (pre-determined?) Ramsey departure as minimally turbulent as possible in the locker room and elsewhere, something it would not be if Ramsey stepped in and won a play-off game. Though I know such would increase his percieved value.

There would even have been an immediate controversy, perhaps in the locker room as well, if he had put Pat in and still lost, but also even if we beat Seattle, and then still want to start Mark against Carolina. This is totally (maybe wildly) speculative, but I'm curious if anyone else wondered the same thing.

Guilty as charged. I admit that my wishing he would have sat himself down is nothing but that; wishful. The wish was based on knowing that fact certain, Gibbs wouldn't sit him unless his leg fell off. Maybe. Plus, a vet like Mark would never pull himself...unles his leg fell off. Maybe.

As far as winning or losing with Mark, again, Joe hase proven if you're his guy and you're upright, he's with you to the end, no matter what.

He's our coach, Mark is our QB and that's that. I just enjoy ****ing about it because the D played so damn hard and so well, well...we all know.

Archived