Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell over Drew Brees?...seriously?

RedskinsFanatic

Good grief...who won the game illone? yeah...exactly. And you mentioned the team is on an 'Up', I agree, who's talent and career is on the 'Up' Brees or Brunell? or an unproven Campbell.

Certainly not Brees. All he did was hand the ball to LT twice. And if you really want to argue semantics then I could easily say that the Skins LOST that game as opposed to the Chargers actually winning it.

Brees is a solid QB, I won't argue that. I will argue the speculation that Brees will give us a better chance to win RIGHT NOW. In 2004 you saw a disheveled offense. Part of that was the QB, I understand that, but also, part of that was inconsistent oline play and Gibbs becoming re-acclimated to the NFL.

2005 brought many improvements in ALL categories for us, especially on offense.

Look, the point I'm making is that just because Brees is a solid pivot does not mean he can fix our team overnight. 3rd year in the system, I have my money on the fact that we will improve even more next season with Brunell at the helm. Keep in mind time in system helps ANY team. We'd basically be starting over and Brees would have a new system to learn where he might struggle for a year or two, the same way Brunell did.

Why would you want to start over at this point?

Gibbs has three more seasons with us, we have to make the most of them while we can.

Especially in week 15 & 16 when his QB rating was 125.6 & 99.2 respectively eh? Then Giant helmet=52.3 rating the next week in Philly....

See? That Geritol really works.

Listen, I was at the Dallas game and he played GREAT. A masterpiece.

He did not play well against the Giants BEFORE his knees got whacked. Remember that pic 6 he threw to that rook LB?

Also, if Mark was so hurt (as he obviously was) at what point is he obligated to his teamates to get off the field if he's hurting more than helping?

Look, the point I'm making is that just because Brees is a solid pivot does not mean he can fix our team overnight. 3rd year in the system, I have my money on the fact that we will improve even more next season with Brunell at the helm. Keep in mind time in system helps ANY team. We'd basically be starting over and Brees would have a new system to learn where he might struggle for a year or two, the same way Brunell did.

Why would you want to start over at this point?

Gibbs has three more seasons with us, we have to make the most of them while we can.

I do agree with that.

If we can only find enough Geritol...

Hey, is Mark allowed to catch a nap at halftime? Wear a sweater on the field if it's chilly?

Reread my post, I said that point is debatable...but that wasn't what the original poster was saying.

Hmmm...

That's debatable but the guy didn't wear down.

Yes indeed, you did say that. I say he should have sat himself down. His mobility was gone and it was just like his hamstring the year before; no solid base to throw from.

Of course, as DC will tell you, Joe Gibbs knows alot more about these things than I do. If you can believe that.

You make some great points Illone, I definately don't want to start over. I personally think Brees would make us better immediately, but I do hope you're right.

That is the risk you take when you bring on a FA QB. How many free agent QB's do you see tear it up in their first year?

Usually it takes a QB a few years to learn the system, then another year or so on the field to perfect it. Look at how Montana struggled when he was in KC after years of success in San Fran?

The benefit we currently have is that we have a top notch rookie who is learning our system from the inside. That kid probably sleeps with his playbook. It's been reported that he called Gibbs during the off-season and wants to spend some one on one time with the coaches to learn more. What more can you ask for, man?

Now you want to bring in some guy who did well with a different team, from a different system, and you expect him to grasp our system overnight and win championships for us?

No way is that possible, man. I'd much rather have Jason Campbell with a year under his belt learning our offense. Campbell certainly knows more about the Redskins than Drew Brees does. He's been in the locker room with the players and what exactly would it say to our team if we brought in someone new after making the playoffs with the team we currently have?

I actually can't think of ANY free agent QB's that did well in their first year with a new team.

Can you?

I do agree with that.

If we can only find enough Geritol...

Hey, is Mark allowed to catch a nap at halftime? Wear a sweater on the field if it's chilly?

Maybe he can call Doug Williams and transfer the prescription. I'm sure Rich Gannon or Phil Simms would be willing to offer up some insight in that category. I mean those guys won big games late in their career, but it must have been the geritol;).

Brunell just doesn't have anything left @ all. Can he move out of the pocket or even want to? Not for another full season anyway. And Campbell is an unproven, I wish them both the best of course, just wish Brees (If healthy) were our QB. Do I think the O Line is responsible for some of Brunells problems, sure...but Brunell is Brunells problem. ~ But I don't want to keep dissing my starting QB, I just wish we had an upgrade and Brees would definately be that. But I know we have other pressing issues to address and we can't afford him, that isn't lost on me....

Can Mark move out of the pocket or even want to??? You must be thinking of Patrick. Mark can and will move out of the pocket. Watch the replays of some of our games. Mark made a ton of first downs with his legs last year. I'm surprised to see anyone claiming that Mark has a lack of mobility. He was a bit gimpy at the end of last season but he certainly is not afraid to move out of the pocket.

Also, if Mark was so hurt (as he obviously was) at what point is he obligated to his teamates to get off the field if he's hurting more than helping?

As soon as Joe Gibbs tells him to sit down. Until then he is obligated to stay on the field and perform to the best of his abilities.

This thread is hilarious. Mark fought hard and tuffed it out this season but he took this team as far as he could. I love the foundation that we've built but I really think that the quarterback position is what's going to stop us from reaching our full potential.

Think about the 5 game stretch we needed to get in the playoffs and Mark's contributions in those games.

St. Louis - 14/21; 156 yards; and 1TD/ 1 Fumble ( Not lost )

Arizona - 18/28; 122 yards; and 3 Ints/ 2 Fumbles ( Neither Lost )

Dallas - 12/20; 163 yards; and 4 Td's

New York - 7/11; 112 yards; 2 Td's/1 Int

Philly - 9/25; 141 yards; 1 TD/ 1 Int

My grades by game:

St. Louis- C+ (Got the win but very average performance)

Arizona- D- (I'm only giving him a D- because we got the win;Awful performance in a must win game)

Dallas- A (Only pass that was difficult was Moss's depp catch. Other then that threw simple high % screen passes)

Giants- B (Played decently but made a critical mistake with a int returned for a touchdown that got the Giants momentum early)

Philly- D (Got the win but really did very little to help the team win)

He played very well

One last comment I have is about Mark's ability on the road. I think we all agree that the great teams must win games on the road. Here is Mark's average rating away from home over his past 3 fullk or near full seasons v. Drew Brees:

Mark- 73.6

Drew- 83.6

I like Mark, but he just doesn't have the ability to go on the road and win games consistently especially if we're struggling in other phases of the game.

Hmmm...

Yes indeed, you did say that. I say he should have sat himself down. His mobility was gone and it was just like his hamstring the year before; no solid base to throw from.

Of course, as DC will tell you, Joe Gibbs knows alot more about these things than I do. If you can believe that.

Dude...are you reading my posts? I said that point is debateable...the THAT POINT being should he have taken himself out when he was injured...NOT the point of wearing down :doh:

How do we all know?

My thinking is that with so many quality quarterbacks on the market this year, it would be irresponsible not to at least look into signing any of them. This could easily be Brunell's last yera coming up and we have no idea what Cambell can do.

If we sign a Brees for example, we'd still need Cambell in case of injury and Cambell can develop value in that limited role. Look at David Garrard, there was talk last year before he signed his extension with the Jags that his value might have been a first rounder!

And if Cambell came in and lit it up in relief of Brees we could always turn around and trade Drew 2-3 years down the road....

How do we all know?

My thinking is that with so many quality quarterbacks on the market this year, it would be irresponsible not to at least look into signing any of them. This could easily be Brunell's last yera coming up and we have no idea what Cambell can do.

If we sign a Brees for example, we'd still need Cambell in case of injury and Cambell can develop value in that limited role. Look at David Garrard, there was talk last year before he signed his extension with the Jags that his value might have been a first rounder!

I respect your point but were are we getting the money to sign Brees exactly with our cap situation?

Ugh.

Do any of you, and I mean any, have a clue as to what a labrum injury is?

I don't give a **** what the team doctor says. My dad's a physical therapist with a lot of training in the field, and we had a long talk about it the other night.

The labrum is one of the most essential muscles to the throwing motion. It attaches to the rim of the glenoid cavity and greatly contributes to the stability of the largely unstable shoulder joint. This instability allows the shoulder to be greatly flexible. Sometimes during a throwing motion the arm extends to up to 175 degrees. However, when the labrum is torn [as in Brees' case], this flexibility is greatly compromised. In other words, his surgically repaired labrum [most of these types of injuries don't always require surgery, yet another indicator of its seriousness] will not, and I mean will not, be able to grant his throwing arm the same flexibility it once had.

What does this mean? Well, since his shoulder will not be able to extend as far as yours or mine, the long ball will become next to impossible. Velocity on his throws will greatly decrease, giving way to more easily interceptable lobs. Accuracy will also greatly drop, all because of the dire injury he suffered to this one shoulder.

He's too expensive and he will NEVER be the quarterback he once was. Probably not even close.

Do you really think the Chargers would be letting a Pro Bowl QB go when they could trade their backup for a star DE like Abraham IF they thought he would be back and able to do the job adequately again?

Absolutely not. Let's put Brees out of our minds and focus on a couple QBs with good shoulders-Mark Brunell and Jason Campbell.

:logo:

That is the risk you take when you bring on a FA QB. How many free agent QB's do you see tear it up in their first year?

Usually it takes a QB a few years to learn the system, then another year or so on the field to perfect it. Look at how Montana struggled when he was in KC after years of success in San Fran?

The benefit we currently have is that we have a top notch rookie who is learning our system from the inside. That kid probably sleeps with his playbook. It's been reported that he called Gibbs during the off-season and wants to spend some one on one time with the coaches to learn more. What more can you ask for, man?

Now you want to bring in some guy who did well with a different team, from a different system, and you expect him to grasp our system overnight and win championships for us?

No way is that possible, man. I'd much rather have Jason Campbell with a year under his belt learning our offense. Campbell certainly knows more about the Redskins than Drew Brees does. He's been in the locker room with the players and what exactly would it say to our team if we brought in someone new after making the playoffs with the team we currently have?

I actually can't think of ANY free agent QB's that did well in their first year with a new team.

Can you?

I'm still thinking...:logo:

Archived