Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell over Drew Brees?...seriously?

RedskinsFanatic

I just can't understand why everyone is so down on Mark Brunell. All he did was win 10 games, get us to the playoffs, sweep Dallas(which we haven't done since 1995, in fact Mark swept Dallas, no Redskins quarterback has swept Dallas since Theismann in the early 1984). I mean really, he swept Dallas. A team we hadn't beaten but one throw away game when they were going to fire Dave Campo, in 10 years. But apparently that is not enough for anyone. Apparently unless he is Peyton Manning, he is a loser. Why does everyone pick apart every thing Mark Brunell does instead of being happy? Brunell had one of the highest TD to Int ratios in the league. When we beat Dallas 35-7 was he a bad quarterback then. Let's see when the team faltered late in the season, it couldn't have been because we had only one WR to throw to. Patten IR, Thrash broke his finger and couldn't catch, Brown was awful, Jacobs was awful, Farris I don't even count. It couldn't have been because our best G Randy Thomas broke his leg and 40 something Ray Brown had to fill in. When Brown had cramps we had matador Cory Raymer play. Hmmm if I were playing defense against the Redskins let me think what I would do, maybe blitz up the middle and stuff Portis and chase Brunell. We had one WR to throw too, the TE had to stay in and block because they loaded up 8-9 in the box and covered with 2-3. Double Moss, single whomever else we trotted out there. Pretty simple game plan. So why is it, that Brunell is a bum? Please someone out there give me an intelligent answer as to why everything that went wrong was Brunell's fault? Are there better quarterbacks in the league? Yes. There are better running backs, and wide recievers, and tight ends, and cornerbacks, and d-lineman and at every position there is someone better out there. Does that mean we should get rid of Portis, Moss, Griffin, Washington, Springs, Rogers and anyone else? It is absurd how much bashing Brunell has taken from people on this board. Spoiled brats everywhere. This is the best season we have had in 15 years and everyone wants to rip Brunell because we didn't win (enough.) I guess everyone wants to go back to the 6-10 years under all the other QB's we have had because all of those QB's had "potential." Brunell is as good as he is ever going to be, but that is still better than half the QB's in the league. He honestly should have made the Pro Bowl this year.

I just can't understand why everyone is so down on Mark Brunell. All he did was win 10 games, get us to the playoffs, sweep Dallas(which we haven't done since 1995, in fact Mark swept Dallas, no Redskins quarterback has swept Dallas since Theismann in the early 1984). I mean really, he swept Dallas. .

Well, when you put it that way, that Mark did it all, I guess your right. We should have plenty of cap room now, what with Mark doing everything himself and all. People are right about me; I just don't know much about football.

All this time I thought it was a team sport.

I think brees could be a good bridge between brunell and campbell. I think you get rid of brunell and take on brees and that way we have QB with a little bit of playoff exp. Not to mention that he is a pretty good QB. Saunders has seen how he operates in KC. I think it would be a pretty pretty pretty good fit.

Nothing to be frustrated about just yet.

We're heading into FA with 3 capable QB's, one that led us to the playoffs last season, one that can compete for the starting job if he stays (if not he'll get us a 2nd-3rd round draft pick), and one that is the future of our squad.

I think we are looking great at the QB spot.

I think "great" is an exaggeration but we are fine at the QB spot

Dear Mr. Fanatic,

Care to analyze Mr. Brees year this past season, the one where he had a pro bowl tight end, RB, rookie of the year on D and did what in the playoffs?

I ain't no Brunell fan but his supporters are right; He did play in two playoff games.

Brees came up empty this year in big games.

Oh that's crap. Brunell had a probowl caliber RB, TE, and WR on his side, so don't think that Brees had much more to work with. We squeeked into the playoffs and they barely missed it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Brunell. If he plays like he did last year, I definitely want him to be our starter. He made a great comeback last year.

Well, when you put it that way, that Mark did it all, I guess your right. We should have plenty of cap room now, what with Mark doing everything himself and all. People are right about me; I just don't know much about football.

All this time I thought it was a team sport.

No offense, but you bolding that little three word phrase seems to indicate a complete and utter misunderstanding of what he was trying to say.

The author of the post did not say that he was solely responsible for winning those 10 games. However, he was a crucial element. Generally, the success/failure of a team is laid on the shoulders of the quarterback, unless you're the 2000 Ravens. Case in point-Doug Williams is the only one you ever hear about out of our '87 Super Bowl game, and rightfully so. Almost never mentioned is Timmy Smith's record-shattering [albeit one hit wonder] 204 yard rushing performance. Therefore, by saying that Brunell won 10 games and took us to the playoffs, he is correctly assessing the situation at hand. True, it was a team sport. He never said it wasn't. He simply said that Brunell was the leader in the good games that we had. Your sarcasm is quite comical, not because you're cutting the post's author, but because it is almost completely incorrectly aimed and irrelevant.

That said, Brees has a bad shoulder. He'll never be even close to the same QB he was before. End of story. Hell, while we're at it, why don't we get Pennington too? They're in the same boat, although most people deny that. Let's keep our good-shouldered QBs and not go after some overpriced, overinjured FAs. Get 2000 out of your systems as fast as you can.

:logo:

Oh that's crap. Brunell had a probowl caliber RB, TE, and WR on his side, so don't think that Brees had much more to work with. We squeeked into the playoffs and they barely missed it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Brunell. If he plays like he did last year, I definitely want him to be our starter. He made a great comeback last year.

:laugh:

And Brees didn't?

LaDanian Tomlinson-RB[Pro Bowl Caliber]

Antonio Gates-TE [Pro Bowl Caliber and possibly best TE in league, along with Gonzalez]

Keenan McCardell-WR [Maybe not Pro Bowl caliber, but a seasoned and excellent WR]

Not to argue the man's point, but I see it unfair to place Brunell on a higher surrounding talent level than Brees.

:logo:

I just can't understand why everyone is so down on Mark Brunell. All he did was win 10 games, get us to the playoffs, sweep Dallas(which we haven't done since 1995, in fact Mark swept Dallas, no Redskins quarterback has swept Dallas since Theismann in the early 1984). I mean really, he swept Dallas. A team we hadn't beaten but one throw away game when they were going to fire Dave Campo, in 10 years. But apparently that is not enough for anyone. Apparently unless he is Peyton Manning, he is a loser. Why does everyone pick apart every thing Mark Brunell does instead of being happy? Brunell had one of the highest TD to Int ratios in the league. When we beat Dallas 35-7 was he a bad quarterback then. Let's see when the team faltered late in the season, it couldn't have been because we had only one WR to throw to. Patten IR, Thrash broke his finger and couldn't catch, Brown was awful, Jacobs was awful, Farris I don't even count. It couldn't have been because our best G Randy Thomas broke his leg and 40 something Ray Brown had to fill in. When Brown had cramps we had matador Cory Raymer play. Hmmm if I were playing defense against the Redskins let me think what I would do, maybe blitz up the middle and stuff Portis and chase Brunell. We had one WR to throw too, the TE had to stay in and block because they loaded up 8-9 in the box and covered with 2-3. Double Moss, single whomever else we trotted out there. Pretty simple game plan. So why is it, that Brunell is a bum? Please someone out there give me an intelligent answer as to why everything that went wrong was Brunell's fault? Are there better quarterbacks in the league? Yes. There are better running backs, and wide recievers, and tight ends, and cornerbacks, and d-lineman and at every position there is someone better out there. Does that mean we should get rid of Portis, Moss, Griffin, Washington, Springs, Rogers and anyone else? It is absurd how much bashing Brunell has taken from people on this board. Spoiled brats everywhere. This is the best season we have had in 15 years and everyone wants to rip Brunell because we didn't win (enough.) I guess everyone wants to go back to the 6-10 years under all the other QB's we have had because all of those QB's had "potential." Brunell is as good as he is ever going to be, but that is still better than half the QB's in the league. He honestly should have made the Pro Bowl this year.

Good post. :applause:

very nice post..im glad there are still some supporters out there :applause:

Archived