Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

we will all be surprised

bubba9497

We have dozens of thread speculating which Free Agents the Skins will pursue, and what draftable players we'll be interested in come April. Everyone has determined what our needs are....

yet I have a feeling... that again Gibbs and staff have different (and accurate) ideas of what we need,... and come March & April we will be scratching our head yet again wondering who some of these guys are... or why we signed him??

Then we will see thread after thread by arm chair GM's stating they knew it all along.... :laugh:

and Inmate will post some thread about Miss Cleo predicted this back in December :fortune:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree. Also, with the Redskins recently, the surprises have turned out to be very pleasant. I remember in 2003, when although we were 5-11 that year, much of the current team was built. I remember all the commentators saying that Randy Thomas would end up in Dallas or Tampa Bay, and that turned out to be wrong.

Randy Thomas at Right Guard is perhaps our best offensive lineman, and his loss was a devastating blow to the team, and would have been more devastating if we didn't have the 43 year old Ray Brown to step in and replace him.

I agree. Also, with the Redskins recently, the surprises have turned out to be very pleasant. I remember in 2003, when although we were 5-11 that year, much of the current team was built. I remember all the commentators saying that Randy Thomas would end up in Dallas or Tampa Bay, and that turned out to be wrong.

Randy Thomas at Right Guard is perhaps our best offensive lineman, and his loss was a devastating blow to the team, and would have been more devastating if we didn't have the 43 year old Ray Brown to step in and replace him.

and the Moss (myself included) everyone talked about was Randy.... not Santanna

Who woulld have guessed Casey Rabach was our big FA signing :laugh: besides Miss Cleo that is....

I'm sure you are right on some level, Bubba.

But I think it is a pretty safe assumption that we will target a Dlineman and Ramsey will be wearing a different uniform next year.

But yes, I agree... there will be surprises. And that will be further confirmation, for me at least, that we have football people in charge in Washington, as oppposed to the fans (Snyder/Cerrato) who made personnel decisions in the past.

I agree - I think the Skins will pick up a wide receiver (currently at or under the radar) to fill the #2 spot. Similar to the trade to pick up Moss in return for Coles - remember how many "experts" said that the deal didn't make sense as Moss was not as good a receiver as Coles? I'm guessing they'll grab someone 3-4 years in (at the end of their rookie contract) who has some size - speed will be the primary factor. I also think the Skins will draft for depth or use some of this year's picks to grab restricted free agents. Just my 2 cents.

You couldnt be more right. The loss of Randy Thomas is what stunted our offensive production at the end of the year. It virtually eliminated the outside running game, since most of our effective runs during the year were behind a pulling Randy Thomas. Sorry Samuels, Thomas is our OL stud. Oh, and Corey Raymer is garbage. He couldn't even sub for the 43-year old Brown, and Brown had to come back into the game because Raymer had given up 3 big plays. We need depth on our OL.

Secondly, I will be the first to admit that I was a little flabbergasted when we spent millions of cap dollars to get rid of Coles. And it was hard to believe then that Santana Moss would become what he has- the single downfield threat on this team and a true superstar. So I apologize to Joe Gibbs, and I will never second-guess him again. Now that being said, I am convinced that Kyle vanden Bosch is 'the man' so get him, and that we should go WR, then OL and DB the rest of the draft. Walt Harris is and forever will be Toast, and he should be shipped out of town on a one-way ticket to the CFL.

You couldnt be more right. The loss of Randy Thomas is what stunted our offensive production at the end of the year. It virtually eliminated the outside running game, since most of our effective runs during the year were behind a pulling Randy Thomas. Sorry Samuels, Thomas is our OL stud. Oh, and Corey Raymer is garbage. He couldn't even sub for the 43-year old Brown, and Brown had to come back into the game because Raymer had given up 3 big plays. We need depth on our OL.

Secondly, I will be the first to admit that I was a little flabbergasted when we spent millions of cap dollars to get rid of Coles. And it was hard to believe then that Santana Moss would become what he has- the single downfield threat on this team and a true superstar. So I apologize to Joe Gibbs, and I will never second-guess him again. Now that being said, I am convinced that Kyle vanden Bosch is 'the man' so get him, and that we should go WR, then OL and DB the rest of the draft. Walt Harris is and forever will be Toast, and he should be shipped out of town on a one-way ticket to the CFL.

O-line depth is certainly a glaring need right now. I'm a little wary of Vanden Bosch because he had 4 sacks and tons of injuries in his first 4 years. Who knows if he can repeat last year's performance. I think Walt gets a little too much blame at times, too. Sure he got beat this year but I wonder how healthy he was. He was a beast for the first 3-4 weeks and never seemed to be the same after he missed a couple games. In the first Cowboy game he played awesome, probably had the best game of anyone on our D. He led the team in tackles that game and got us off the field a few times with solid open field tackles on 3rd down. Then he misses the next couple and when he comes back, all of a sudden, he can't tackle anymore. It was really perplexing. I think we need to keep him for depth, though, but he shouldn't see much more than a nickel role. He just doesn't have the speed to keep up on deep throws.

Whatever happens, I really don't think I'll be all that surprised. A need or two will be filled. We just don't know how Gibbs has prioritized those needs. We just see them from OUR point of view, hence all the predictions. The fun part is seeing who, besides Miss Cleo, comes the closest. ;)

Then we will see thread after thread by arm chair GM's stating they knew it all along.... :laugh:

Not to mention that we will see all the "geniuses" coming out of the woodwork, saying Coach Gibbs is "crazy", "senile", "losing it", cause he didn't make the moves they wanted him to make. :)

not a difficult prediction since the Redskins are competing with other teams for talent and the players themselves have preferences. If you mean that the positions targeted will be different from what we expect then that is a different matter.

Either way - getting to the SB is the ONLY validating metric.....just ask the players!

Not to mention that we will see all the "geniuses" coming out of the woodwork, saying Coah Gibbs is "crazy", "senile", "losing it", cause he didn't make the moves they wanted him to make. :)

"Those people are the salt of the earth...you know, morons."

----------------------------Harvey Korman, Blazing Saddles.

You hit the nail on the head, Bubba. With the lack of top recieving options in free agency, those that do hit the market will be overpayed. I just have a feeling that we'll grab someone through a trade... someone we've all overlooked.

The same names have come up over and over and over... Randle El, Koren Robinson, Brandon Lloyd, etc. etc. etc. The guy we sign won't be the obvious choice. That's why our front office get paid millions a year, and why we are simply fans.

and the Moss (myself included) everyone talked about was Randy.... not Santanna

Who woulld have guessed Casey Rabach was our big FA signing :laugh: besides Miss Cleo that is....

Remember the NFL network fantasy football commercial where the patriots guy says "of the two Moss's, I'd take Santana. Honestly I would."?

It was supposed to be a wildly inacturate statement, something so ill-advised as to be comical. In retrospect, it was like the polar opposite of the commercials they run where they show stupid preseason comments by fans. that patriots guy must have a line with Miss Cleo too! LOL!

As far as the team's offseason moves, I think you are right that a lot of us will be surprised. I think the team probably sees the needs for the most part in a similar way to how we as fans see them. The difference between them and us is that they are more creative in the way that they think about fixing the problems. Many of us seem to focus entirely one getting a #2 wide receiver to go opposite Moss. I think the team may think of it a little differently. They may think about it as we need depth at WR, because nobody we putover there produced at all, even with Moss getting so much attention from opposing defenses. So their solution to the problem might not be just one guy. Especially if you consider the possibilty of an injury and what it would mean to the offense.

Me personally, there are a few things that would not surprise me, but might surprise many others. For instance I would not be surprised to see us draft a cornerback high, or to see us pick up two or three wide receivers, or a DT. Will be interesting to see what they actually do though.

Not to mention that we will see all the "geniuses" coming out of the woodwork, saying Coah Gibbs is "crazy", "senile", "losing it", cause he didn't make the moves they wanted him to make. :)

Then don't forget that after all the moves pan out, they'll be the first ones back cheerleading talking about what great moves they were. :doh:

Archived