Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kornheiser to Join ESPN's 'Monday Night Football' (MERGED)

@DCGoldPants

ABC and ESPN flip-flopped schedules. ABC has Sunday Night, and ESPN is doing Monday Nights. Also, no more Sunday Night Prime Time on ESPN. NBC is going to be having games on Thursday's I believe.

No offense but this totally wrong. NBC will air the Sunday night games and feature the premiere match-up of the weekend...for example Steelers/Colts rematch. ESPN will move to Monday nights and feature the same sort of middle of the road match-ups they've always had...for example Cards/Niners live from Mexico :doh: Later in the season, the NFL Network will air 5 or 6 games on Thursdays and Saturdays, including a third Thnxgiving game. ABC is now out of the business of football.

Is everyone a Tony-hater? Stand up Tony fans! Who is with me?! Jeez, I'm sick of everyone hating Kornheiser. If you hate him, then there is basically no hope for you to like very man commentators. Give the guy a chance and stop complaining before he even gives you anything to complain about.

I am with you!

He is on one of the best shows on TV and all of a sudden he doesn't know anything about sports. Come on now.

Tirico runs a tight ship on play-by-play, and Theismann's never at a loss for words on analysis and a bit of color. They're both experienced and professional and will find a way to take advantage of the contributions of a sharp and sarcastic Tony Kornheiser.

And anyway, could be any worse than, say, Paul McGuire?

My guess is Tony will struggle a bit to find his niche/rhythm at first, but that once he settles in he'll do just fine. Unlike Dennis Miller, he won't try too hard to show off how smart and hip he is right off the bat, or pretend to be a "football guy" as Miller seemed to feel the need to do, and will be generally self-deprecating and add a unique flavor.

If there's one thing Tony K. has in spades, it's the ability to laugh at himself while laughing along with (and at) everybody else.

I'm interested to see how it goes.

Tirico runs a tight ship on play-by-play, and Theismann's never at a loss for words on analysis and a bit of color. They're both experienced and professional and will find a way to take advantage of the contributions of a sharp and sarcastic Tony Kornheiser.

And anyway, could be any worse than, say, Paul McGuire?

My guess is Tony will struggle a bit to find his niche/rhythm at first, but that once he settles in he'll do just fine. Unlike Dennis Miller, he won't try too hard to show off how smart and hip he is right off the bat, or pretend to be a "football guy" as Miller seemed to feel the need to do, and will be generally self-deprecating and add a unique flavor.

If there's one thing Tony K. has in spades, it's the ability to laugh at himself while laughing along with (and at) everybody else.

I'm interested to see how it goes.

:applause: :applause:

OM, please school these TK haters in here!

Something tells me this is going to be just awful...which for me is good.

I better get to work on my Tony voice.

~Bang

Just do a lot of raspy screaming with a hint of a Brooklyn accent. Oh, and add in a few "NEXT," at the ends of some of the statements. :laugh: You'll do great!!!

Heres the link from the Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/08/AR2006020800590.html

I guess its an upgrade over Paul "I was a kicker" McGuire, the king of hindsight for that crew, but still, TK is going to suck. What is the over/under on references to him being up late during the first broadcast? Im going to say 6.

And if he and Theisman get into a PTI style shouting match every quarter, i'll puke.

Well, the good thing out of all of this is that maybe we'll get REAL sportstalk radio from 9am-1pm now on 980!!!!

Kornhole said that he won't do radio. Thank god!!!

:applause:

His radio show is NOT about sports. That is the best thing that will come out of this. TK is going to embarrass himself.

I don't see how this could possibly be any worse than having Dennis Miller do it. That was just plain horrible! When he was in the booth a couple of seasons ago, I remember that the Tuesday mornings after games, ABC's website was updated to show explanations of Miller's remarks/jokes/anectdotes from the previous night. It was bad that the comments and remarks were scripted, and even worse that they had to be translated the following day.

Just one more reason Sunday Night Football will surpass MNF.

I have no beef with Joey T but Tirico and his overkill announcing style will get sickening and while I like Tony I don't think this will be much more than Dennis Miller and probably will last just as long.

I can hear it now:

Tony K: Good Night Canada.

Tirico: Tony just said good night Canada!!!!! Unbelievable!!! The best sign off I've ever heard in my life!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!

Maybe if he had his own light-hearted feature -- similar to his columns -- it would work. But, yeah, when I think of a vast array of football knowledge, the name Tony Kornheiser does NOT come to my mind. In my opinion, he'd be taking up space in the booth.

I would think that putrid abyss of a show with Jason Alexander would have been his death knell with the prime-time networks, but oh well.

Like many Redskins fans, I feel like his act has grown weak and tiresome over time. He's become a character, smug, curmudgeonly, occasionally funny, but lacking any true respect or appreciation for sports in general. Do we need guys like that announcing games? Wait til the first Skins' game - he will have plenty of jokes ready but little, if anything, of insight to offer whatsoever, and certainly nothing positive.

Bandwagon, my arse...

Archived