Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kornheiser to Join ESPN's 'Monday Night Football' (MERGED)

@SkinsGoldPants

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/08/AR2006020800590.html

Kornheiser to Join ESPN's 'Monday Night Football'

The Washington Post

Wednesday, February 8, 2006; 8:30 AM

Washington Post columnist Tony Kornheiser will be joining the ESPN broadcast booth for "Monday Night Football" next season, a network source said late last night.

Kornheiser will serve as a color commentator in what is expected to be a three-man booth for the NFL staple, which is moving from Disney-owned ABC to Disney-owned ESPN starting next fall. Network speculation has revolved around longtime ESPN play-by-play man Mike Tirico and former Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann joining Kornheiser in the booth.

Terms of the deal were unavailable. An ESPN announcement is expected today.

Kornheiser is expected to continue on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" with fellow Post columnist Mike Wilbon, with the weekday show being aired live on Mondays from the site of that night's NFL game.

Emilio Garcia-Ruiz, The Post's assistant managing editor for sports, expressed optimism last night that Kornheiser's career at the paper would continue.

"We're happy for Tony," Garcia-Ruiz said. "But we still want him to continue to work for the paper. That's what's best for us and for our readers."

I think TonyK will do a nice job. But for the life of me I don't understand why Riggo hasn't gotten the gig. Here is a guy that not only he is a HOFmer, SB-MVP, and knows football but has some of the most off the wall comments that actually make sense at the moment he delivers them. It has got to be his past reputation but man Riggo would be awesom in there with JT and TonyK.

Guest ComebackKing
With Tony on board, I believe his first act will be to attempt to move the games to a 6 p.m. ET start time. There's no way he stays awake for games in their current time slot.
Sad but true! :doh:

Archived