Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kornheiser to Join ESPN's 'Monday Night Football' (MERGED)

@DCGoldPants

"It is no big deal to me...TK sends me no money...I just find it amazing how much he is hated, but yet people know what he does on his radio/TV show...aka "drools over athletes in 5 good minutes" or "all he does is whine".

It's not clear to me why you persist in using emotionally laden terms like "hate". that's more indicative of your mindset and worldview...to be quite frank. but...yea....I have what is in front of me when I watch PTI or read his articles....and my subjective response, in which I am apparently not alone, has been described.

I didn't know I had to explain my use of wordplay on the board...be that as it may, in August 2006 we will see how good the new MNF booth will work out.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-02-08-michaels_x.htm

>>>Michaels dealt to NBC as Sunday night, 'MNF' lineups set

By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

Al Michaels' career twists were already unusual. Now, they seem downright strange: the NFL play- by-play announcer owes his new job at NBC to a long-forgotten cartoon character.

In July, the longtime ABC announcer of the NFL's Monday night games agreed to stay at Disney as those Monday games move to ESPN next season. But he changed his mind in recent weeks and wanted to follow his on-air partner, John Madden, to NBC to call the network's new Sunday night NFL TV game package.

Thursday, NBC announced Michaels is joining them — in a trade with Disney that includes ESPN being able to buy NBC's cable TV rights to golf's next four Ryder Cups, NBC granting ESPN the right to show far more Olympic TV highlights on its news shows — and Disney getting back the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Oswald has been largely forgotten by the public. In 1927, Walt Disney introduced the character in a 26-cartoon series distributed by Universal. Disney gave up on Oswald — essentially chopping off his ears to create another character called Mickey Mouse — while Universal, now a sister company of NBC under their corporate umbrella General Electric, kept the rights.

Says Disney CEO Robert Iger: "As the forerunner to Mickey Mouse and an important part of Walt Disney's creative legacy, the fun and mischievous Oswald is back where he belongs."

NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol, who had been auditioning analyst Cris Collinsworth to become a play-by-play announcer to work games with Madden, heard in recent weeks that Michaels might be interested in getting out of his ESPN contract.

Ebersol said Disney made it clear it would not let Michaels out of his contract "without getting something from us." When Disney officials raised interest in Oswald, says Ebersol, "I had no idea what that was."

But the trade went through.

"This is pretty cool," says Michaels. "I'm going to be a trivia answer someday."

Michaels had been with ABC since 1976 and was the play-by-play announcer on Monday Night Football since 1986.

Michaels' decided to move to NBC after realizing he wanted to work with Madden, producer Fred Gaudelli and director Drew Esocoff, who also are moving from ABC to NBC.

"I began to realize more and more how much I was going to miss being with those people," Michaels said Thursday on a conference call. "That's my family, that's my broadcasting family."

Michaels granted release Wednesday

Ending weeks of speculation, ESPN/ABC formally announced Wednesday that Michaels would be released from his ESPN and ABC contracts, freeing him to join Madden at NBC.

The resulting fallout has lead to a novel twist for ESPN's production of Monday night games. Tony Kornheiser, a co-host of ESPN's Pardon the Interruption talk show and columnist for The Washington Post, will join Howard Cosell and Dennis Miller on the list of non-athletes who became Monday night analysts.

AP

Michaels

John Skipper, an ESPN executive vice president, said Michaels "had a change of heart in the last couple weeks" about honoring his ABC/ESPN contracts after earlier saying the Monday night slot "was the greatest job ever invented."

ESPN had announced in July that Michaels would work Monday night games, with the announcer saying he found that time slot to be "spine-tingling."

Wednesday, ESPN's Skipper said there was "very little hesitancy" in letting Michaels go after he expressed interest in moving.

"Al was not comfortable with our vision of where we're going," Skipper said. "We don't want to work with those that don't want to work with us."

Michaels' exit spawns several new on-air assignments. Play-by-play announcer Mike Tirico, whose ESPN duties have included calling NBA and college basketball and NFL and college football, will replace Michaels.

And ESPN's original plan, a two-man booth with analyst Joe Theismann, will be expanded to a trio with Kornheiser.

Wednesday, Kornheiser noted he doesn't like to fly, so he'll be supplied with his own bus — and one, Skipper said, "that will be bigger than Madden's bus."

Said Kornheiser, who was considered for the Monday night role that instead went to Miller, "I'm still in denial that I have this job."

Michaels, under his contract for play-by-play on ABC's lead NBA on-air team, was expected to call NBA action this season — including this year's NBA Finals. Now NBA play-by-play announcer Mike Breen will replace Michaels and work with returning lead analyst Hubie Brown.

Prime-time battle on tap

Michaels' back flip might prove just a prelude to unprecedented competition between TV NFL carriers next season.

The tug-of-war over Michaels is symbolic of a larger struggle: Which network will become the NFL's prime-time marquee?

Historically, that's been ABC's MNF. But even though ESPN will pay about $1.1 billion annually for Monday games, while NBC will pay about $600 million for Sundays, it's unclear which network will get the choicest prime-time schedule.

NBC has already gotten something ABC wanted for its Monday games — flexible scheduling, through which some late-season Sunday afternoon games can be moved into NBC's prime-time slot. (That could lead to even more squabbling, since those Sunday games will be pulled from Fox and CBS, which also might lose some good matchups to new Thursday and Saturday prime-time slots on the league's own NFL Network.)

But Skipper said Wednesday that "we still think the showcase is Monday night."

NBC, in landing Madden and Michaels, captured the biggest names among NFL announcers. Other shuffles are coming. ESPN reporter Andrea Kremer, according to several industry officials, is expected to join NBC, and James Brown will jump from Fox's top-rated pregame show to CBS.

NBC's lineup will also include Bob Costas and Cris Collinsworth, who left his job as a Fox game analyst. NBC had considered using Collinsworth on play-by-play, but not after Michaels' arrival.

ESPN spells out expanded strategy

But ESPN fired back Wednesday in elaborating on a strategy that combines tonnage, across its programming lineup, with novelty in a three-man broadcast booth.

ESPN/ESPN2 will send a variety of its shows, including SportsCenter, Mike and Mike in the Morning, Cold Pizza and Pardon the Interruption, to the Monday night host city — meant to provide unprecedented hype for prime-time matchups.

Says ESPN vice president Norby Williamson: "When it comes to those towns, it's going to be like a mini-Super Bowl each week."

And, like MNF's use of Cosell and Miller, ESPN's Monday game will include an analyst who never played in Kornheiser. Kornheiser will work with Theismann, a longtime analyst on ESPN's old Sunday night NFL TV package, and Tirico.

Kornheiser's novelty will help ESPN generate buzz even before he appears. Analysts, across TV sports, are almost always former players and coaches. But Wednesday, Kornheiser was unapologetic: "I don't feel diminished because I didn't play in the NFL."

But he added that he'd "be lying if I didn't say this makes me incredibly nervous and anxious."

Rounding out the MNF lineup, Michele Tafoya returns for her third season as a sideline reporter, and Suzy Kolber replaces Tafoya fill-in Sam Ryan.

Contributing: The Associated Press<<<

"I didn't know I had to explain my use of wordplay on the board...be that as it may, in August 2006 we will see how good the new MNF booth will work out."

yes...cleverness can be such a burden....or was it humility?

no one really cares whether it works out or not. the only thing folks around these parts really care about is whether the Skins advance upon last season's performance. TK is a circus sideshow.

otherwise, hope you're right about TK if it makes you happier!

I'ld say we've just about exhausted the limited pros/cons on this one......here's to some quality FA signings.......

I think TonyK will do a nice job. But for the life of me I don't understand why Riggo hasn't gotten the gig. Here is a guy that not only he is a HOFmer, SB-MVP, and knows football but has some of the most off the wall comments that actually make sense at the moment he delivers them. It has got to be his past reputation but man Riggo would be awesom in there with JT and TonyK.

I like Riggo too. I think the biggie for Tony was that they know they can draw from his PTI crowd. That's guaranteed numbers (which Tony couldn't offer his first time for consideration).

"I didn't know I had to explain my use of wordplay on the board...be that as it may, in August 2006 we will see how good the new MNF booth will work out."

yes...cleverness can be such a burden....or was it humility?

no one really cares whether it works out or not. the only thing folks around these parts really care about is whether the Skins advance upon last season's performance. TK is a circus sideshow.

otherwise, hope you're right about TK if it makes you happier!

I'ld say we've just about exhausted the limited pros/cons on this one......here's to some quality FA signings.......

I will drink to that! :cheers:

Archived