Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you consider NASCAR as a sport?

Cooked Crack

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Besides, ever see a fat racer?

Jimmy Spencer. And of course, Gibb's own, Tony Stewart (just in the last couple years)

I would say it is a sport based on the fact that it requires a team. You have the crew who gets the car ready to begin with, the testing and little changes. The crew who changes the tires and gas and makes adjustments during the race. The driver who jockey's for position, avoids the wrecks and relays info to the crew chief. And the coach/crew chief who makes all the decisions.

If it was just one driver, racing for 20 laps all on his own, then i would be with the majority here in saying no it's not a sport. But this whole argument is based on semantics, I'm sure people who follow ice skating, or bowling religiously would call those sports, and in my opinion they aren't. I think track is just an activity, because I ran track for 4 years. I believe track requires athletes, but just could never group it as a sport....all semantics

It's a sport. And this is coming from someone who doesn't care for Nascar. Just like you can't hit a 95 MPH fastball, or play in the NFL, or hang in the NBA, or skate in the NHL, you can't drive a car at 200 MPH & live.

Since on a good day, you COULD hang with a dart player or a pro bowler, those are not sports......

The sense that it says physical activity--you have to say no. True there are a set of rules and is engaged in competitively but, no way does the activity involve physical exertion!

Not for nothing, but those g-forces at those speeds and the heat inside the car take quite a toll on the human body.

I believe it's a sport in that it takes a ton of hand-eye coordination to perform and you have to be in good shape to handle it over 4 hours.

You have guys who can drive in their late 40's so it probably doesn't take great athletic ability.

One thing it does take though is balls. Those guys (and gals) go out there knowing there is a chance they can die.

This is 2006, they could have air conditioning if they wanted :)

PingPong isnt a sport yet takes fast reflexes and eye hand coordination. (Tennis is a sport.. it requires movement)...

If you took all football players and put them in robot exoskeletons and they did the same thing? No longer a sport... its a ...

Competition, contention, rivalry

the act of competing as for profit or a prize; "the teams were in fierce contention for first place"

I do consider NASCAR or racing a sport. These guys need to be in shape.

Riding around for 3-5 hours at high speeds places high demands on the

body and mind.

The drivers have to be focused every lap, if not then you wind up in the wall.

Plus, these cars aren't air conditioned with nice seats and stereos. The cars

build up a lot of heat and if it's ill handling, it will work on your concentration

and reflexes.

Also, racing doesn't have timeouts or any break in the action. Once the race starts it goes until the end.

Not for nothing, but those g-forces at those speeds and the heat inside the car take quite a toll on the human body.

One thing it does take though is balls. Those guys (and gals) go out there knowing there is a chance they can die.

I do consider NASCAR or racing a sport. These guys need to be in shape.

Riding around for 3-5 hours at high speeds places high demands on the

body and mind.

The drivers have to be focused every lap, if not then you wind up in the wall.

Plus, these cars aren't air conditioned with nice seats and stereos. The cars

build up a lot of heat and if it's ill handling, it will work on your concentration

and reflexes.

Also, racing doesn't have timeouts or any break in the action. Once the race starts it goes until the end.

By these definitions, then astronauts are athletes and getting shot into space driving a friggin' rocket is a sport.

Easy test: If discussion on an activities sport-ness revolves around air-conditioning, then its not a sport.

This is 2006, they could have air conditioning if they wanted :)

PingPong isnt a sport yet takes fast reflexes and eye hand coordination. (Tennis is a sport.. it requires movement)...

If you took all football players and put them in robot exoskeletons and they did the same thing? No longer a sport... its a ...

Competition, contention, rivalry

the act of competing as for profit or a prize; "the teams were in fierce contention for first place"

Ping-Pong isn't a sport? Those guys move and sweat if you watch the pros-those guys are nuts. Anyway, I think ping-pong is just as much of a sport as NASCAR and I think both are sports by definition.

Its not a sport. Its an activity. Like cheerleading, golf, or billiards.

This man is NOT a world class ATHLETE:

mmartin00_driver.jpg

Riiiiight....Spoken by someone who CLEARLY knows ZERO about the SPORT.

Mark Martin knows nothing about being an athlete. If you need more proof of that, you can read his book entitled "Strength Training for Performance Driving." His training regimen is legendary to anyone that has any inkling of a clue, or has done ANY research whatsoever. We works harder on his body than ANY other driver, and has the body fat percentage, and cardiovascular endurance to prove it.

Is he a power lifter? Hell no. He's 5'3" and about 120 pounds. (But then I guess flyweight boxers aren't athletes either.)

It's funny how as he's gotten older (and presumably his hand-eye coordination slows) he's become a BETTER driver. Why? Experience? Partly. But also a renewed emphasis on being the best ATHLETE in the sport.

At 120 pounds, he has also wrestled a 3700-pound machine around the track at 200 mph for four hours at a time. Did I mention he's done so with a BROKEN ARM, BROKEN LEG, TORN KNEE CARTILAGE, BROKEN RIBS, and a PARTIALLY TORN ROTATOR CUFF, not to mention IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE DEATH OF HIS FATHER????

Before you question someone else's athleticism or lack thereof, at a bear minimum try Googling his or her name first. :doh:

He is still what? 60? And he looks like Fire Marshall Bill.

Also, if you are at the top of your game with a broken arm, that activity is clearly not a sport.

LEMME SHOW YA SOMETHIN'!

Ahh...Same logic applied...If you play with two broken thumbs, not a sport. If you continue to play when your abdominal muscles are not attached to your pelvis, not a sport. If you play on a broken leg (Deacon Jones) not a sport. Come on, man. The greats overcome adversity, you know that.

With all due respect, man, I've read a lot of your posts. On most issues, you are well informed, and make logical arguments. But on this issue, I think you're wrong.

(And for the record, Mark Martin is in his mid-40s. How old is Ray Brown?)

And because you think a guy looks funny (too you), he's not an athlete? Clinton Portis would respectfully disagree.

I'm no less a football or Redskin fan than you are. Guaranteed. But to criticize another sport that, again with all due respect, you're not informed about doesn't make much sense. That's why I don't bad mouth soccer a whole lot, tempting though it is.

I know right. pure genious. :) I just don't see anythin special bout a couple left turns at a 150 miles an hour. See it damn near everyday going to school.

I completely understand people who don't watch NASCAR having that view of it. If you turn it on for 10 or 15 minutes once or twice a year, that's what it looks like. But if you watch 10 minutes of a football game, you get the same impression. (OK, team #1 runs the ball into a pile of guys three times, then kicks it to team #2 who does the same thing...and so on...)

We all know that's not a true depiction of football. Nor is left turns a true depiction of NASCAR.

Here are some similarites:

1. NASCAR -- A spoiler adjustment of just a few degrees can make or break the handling of your car, and can literally be the difference between winning or finishing in the back. NFL -- A few inches is the difference between a TD pass and an INT.

2. NASCAR -- Late in the race, you have worn out tires (which gives you a 180-mph bullet that feels like it's on ice skates). Do you come in and get tires, in which case, you might fall back to 25th and have to work your way up. Or do you stay out and hope you can fight off 42 other guys trying to beat you while you "ice skate." NFL -- 4th and 1 late in the game. You understand the risk-reward issues here.

3. NASCR -- Teammates can block for you, or provide that extra push to help you get ahead. NFL -- Teammates can block for you, or provide that extra push to help you get ahead.

4. NASCAR -- Strategy plays a huge role; tires, timing of pit stops, car adjustments, technology, and even dumb luck are factors. NFL -- No question strategy and gameplan are crucial here too.

5. NASCAR -- Whoever is fastest gets the most advantageous starting position. NFL -- A coin toss determines how things will start. (Advantage NASCAR.)

I'm not trying to convert anyone, or make NASCAR fans out of people who could care less. All I'm asking is that you're not overly critical of something you don't understand.

Besides, I don't NEED to convert anyone. NASCAR is already the fastest growing spectator sport in the WORLD without my help.

:cheers: to all, especially those who disagree.

I completely understand people who don't watch NASCAR having that view of it. If you turn it on for 10 or 15 minutes once or twice a year, that's what it looks like. But if you watch 10 minutes of a football game, you get the same impression. (OK, team #1 runs the ball into a pile of guys three times, then kicks it to team #2 who does the same thing...and so on...)

We all know that's not a true depiction of football. Nor is left turns a true depiction of NASCAR.

Here are some similarites:

1. NASCAR -- A spoiler adjustment of just a few degrees can make or break the handling of your car, and can literally be the difference between winning or finishing in the back. NFL -- A few inches is the difference between a TD pass and an INT.

2. NASCAR -- Late in the race, you have worn out tires (which gives you a 180-mph bullet that feels like it's on ice skates). Do you come in and get tires, in which case, you might fall back to 25th and have to work your way up. Or do you stay out and hope you can fight off 42 other guys trying to beat you while you "ice skate." NFL -- 4th and 1 late in the game. You understand the risk-reward issues here.

3. NASCR -- Teammates can block for you, or provide that extra push to help you get ahead. NFL -- Teammates can block for you, or provide that extra push to help you get ahead.

4. NASCAR -- Strategy plays a huge role; tires, timing of pit stops, car adjustments, technology, and even dumb luck are factors. NFL -- No question strategy and gameplan are crucial here too.

5. NASCAR -- Whoever is fastest gets the most advantageous starting position. NFL -- A coin toss determines how things will start. (Advantage NASCAR.)

I'm not trying to convert anyone, or make NASCAR fans out of people who could care less. All I'm asking is that you're not overly critical of something you don't understand.

Besides, I don't NEED to convert anyone. NASCAR is already the fastest growing spectator sport in the WORLD without my help.

:cheers: to all, especially those who disagree.

Anyone ese find it funny he's from West Virginia? :laugh:

Just kidding Hog...very enlightening post. :applause:

Anyone ese find it funny he's from West Virginia? :laugh:

Just kidding Hog...very enlightening post. :applause:

No prob, my friend. You can't tell me a WV joke I haven't heard. :)

(However, let the record show that I am a native Marylander. Moved to WV almost six years ago for a higher paying job, lower tax rates, cheaper housing costs, and...get this...a better educational system for my daughter. As we say here in Hickville, "My momma ain't raised no un-learned chitlins!")

Archived