Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you consider NASCAR as a sport?

Cooked Crack

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm undecided on this. For one thing, I don't understand why you'd run 200 laps in a circle when you could at least race on an interesting course.

Also, I think "sport" implies a somewhat more direct connection between the human body and the outcome. I understand that there's quite a bit of exertion on the part of the driver, but I don't see that as being the same thing as a footrace, or football or basketball game.

It's definitly a sport.

I don't like to watch it myself. But I have only been about 110 mph while riding with someone...............NASCAR is a sport!

Besides, ever see a fat racer?

How about women racers? Do they have any? has a female ever won a nascar race?

You're using 2 arms and atleast one foot for 3 hours pretty much nonstop intense racing at 185 mph

-Straight away

-Left Turn

-Straight away

-Left turn

**Repeat for 500 laps**

Lets take a look at the definition of 'Sport' for starters...

sport ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)

n.

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

A particular form of this activity.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

The sense that it says physical activity--you have to say no. True there are a set of rules and is engaged in competitively but, no way does the activity involve physical exertion!

I am not saying competing in Nascar is easy and that anyone can do it but, it is not a sport--more on the lines of an activity.

It's definitly a sport.

I don't like to watch it myself. But I have only been about 110 mph while riding with someone...............NASCAR is a sport!

Besides, ever see a fat racer?

How about women racers? Do they have any? has a female ever won a nascar race?

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

0606_large.jpg

Click on Names to Learn More about the

Women of NASCAR

Sport HE11 YES, Athlete He11 YES, it is intense and stressful inside that race car not to mention the heat. The drivers of today spend plenty of time conditioning and working out. I use to be one of the uneducated masses who thought circle and left then 12 years ago I started reading, educating myself on what it encompasses, then I went to a race and I WAS HOOKED. NASCAR ROCKS!!!

The sense that it says physical activity--you have to say no. True there are a set of rules and is engaged in competitively but, no way does the activity involve physical exertion!

I am not saying competing in Nascar is easy and that anyone can do it but, it is not a sport--more on the lines of an activity.

It is not physical? Get out of here. It is physical. No you are not physically touching anyone, but think about putting your self in a car going 200 MPH running inches (or less) from the car next to you going just as fast, in temperatures of up to 150 degrees, wearing a fire suit. Well maybe you get the point already. Football it is not, but physical it is.

I don't think it is, but does it matter? If people enjoy it, let them watch. If more people start going to NASCAR games, maybe football tickets will get cheaper.

More people go to nascar races than football already. The tracks are pretty much sold out each week (sometimes over 250,000 at one event). It hasn't effected the football prices , and it never will. Personally, I would rather go to a football game, but there are some that live and die by nascar every week.

I'm not sure it's exactly a "sport" but none the less, it's a very demanding job. No matter if you are a driver or in the pit crew, you have to be in shape, changing tires in 100 degree heat, driving for 5 plus hours, with no power steering, at speeds over 150 mph and trying not to crash into a wall.

I hate NASCAR but understand the kinds of forces these guys experience when going through a turn. The amount of concentration required. Add that to the duration of these races and I'd say it's probably a lot harder than what many on here consider a sport, physically. Bebopping to the mall in your VW Passat is not the same as taking a turn going 180 mph. And doing that several hundred times in the span of a couple of hours with other cars inches from you running at the same speed. I personally think it's insane.

Sitting in a car that is 140-150 degrees with no AC and barely power steering for 4 hours takes some physical ability.
It is not physical? Get out of here. It is physical. No you are not physically touching anyone, but think about putting your self in a car going 200 MPH running inches (or less) from the car next to you going just as fast, in temperatures of up to 150 degrees, wearing a fire suit. Well maybe you get the point already. Football it is not, but physical it is.

Why is it that everyone thinks sitting in a hot car qualifies NASCAR drivers as athletes? Coal mining is physical and the conditions suck, but it still isnt a sport.

Why is it that everyone thinks sitting in a hot car qualifies NASCAR drivers as athletes? Coal mining is physical and the conditions suck, but it still isnt a sport.

Yeah - last year my A.C. didn't work and i had to drive up to Jersey/Philly. Does that make me an athlete? Afterall, when i had the chance, i would go really fast.

Archived