Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Guitar Songs?

gchwood

Among rock guitartists, Steve Via and Jeff Beck are about as good as it gets, IMO, but there are plenty of great ones, like:

Eric Johnson

Shawn Lane

Paul Gilbert

Dimebag Darrell

Yngwie Malmsteen

For other styles, get yourself some of Danny Gatton's live stuff. He played in lots of different styles, and no one alive can touch his technique, except for the next guy-

Stanley Jordan. Plays jazz, (but does a killer cover of "Stairway to Heaven") and plays the guitar by hammering the strings with both hands, ala Jeff Healy. Unbelievable, sounds like a piano on steroids.

And of course I shouldn't have to mention Stevie Ray. :cool:

If your version of machine gun is the live one from the Fimore -thats all you need

SRV

George Lynch

Lawrence Juber

David Gilmore

Joe Satriani will round it out well for ya

It is from the Band of Gypys CD, for some reason I think that it was taped in NYC on New Years.

Thank you all for the suggestions!!!

Any more?

The Song Remains the Same - Led Zep

During most of the song, there are 3 separate yet complementary guitar riffs playing simultaneously. Jimmy Page/Peter Grant's production may have never been better.

Another great unheralded Led Zep guitar tune is Achilles Last Stand.

Outlaws - Blueswater & Long Gone from their "In the Eye of the Storm" album, IMO one of the VERY BEST guitar albums ever.

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing. At that point, I'd never heard anything quite like Mark Knopfler's playing - also give a listen to David Knopfler's rythym guitar in most tunes, it's really excellent.

The Song Remains the Same - Led Zep

During most of the song, there are 3 separate yet complementary guitar riffs playing simultaneously. Jimmy Page/Peter Grant's production may have never been better.

Another great unheralded Led Zep guitar tune is Achilles Last Stand.

Achilles last stand is incredible.

don't forget In my time of dying by Led Zeppelin

and anything pretty much in the Bon Scott era of AC/DC

Archived